Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Soricidus posted:

Hope someone gives the same treatment to the rest of the shareware platformers. I’ve been waiting far too long to find out how commander keen ended up in nazi hell
While Commander Keen isn't involved, the secret levels in Hocus Pocus Doom will go some way to helping answer your question... :ssh:

EDIT: An updated version of the Trepang2 demo is out on Steam, with a new weapon and a new horde mode map.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Insert name here posted:

This is from a couple of pages ago but it actually works out really well because the devs were smart enough to make the enemy accuracy drop drastically when you're moving at speed so the best way to play is actually to chain wallruns as much as you can. If you try to play peak and poke cover gameplay you get destroyed by the insane enemy accuracy but they'll basically never hit you while running on a wall or slide-hopping.

Oh sweet, thanks for telling me. This makes me a lot more interested in playing it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
  • The monthly blog post about the development of Master Chief Collection is up, talking about current issues and development progress. Halo 1 will probably be ready for public testing next month, with Halo 2 not far behind.
  • I released an update to my own dumbass mod, Deathmatch Simulator, fixing various bugs, adding a couple of extra features, and spreading some festive cheer.
  • Dopefish is an impressive tool for GameMaker Studio 2-using gamedevs to use Doom WADs to build levels for their 3D games.
  • Bethesda's French division sat down with the Doom 64 re-release recently, if you want a look at raw gameplay. Or the menus in French.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
https://twitter.com/DanielWienerson/status/1207884232669839360
edit: thanks boomer shooter twitter now I have a thing I really want to make

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 21, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

Bethesda's French division sat down with the Doom 64 re-release recently, if you want a look at raw gameplay. Or the menus in French.

they couldn't translate "shotgun"
not fond of translating "kills" with "victimes", they're hellspawn and demon-possessed zombies, not defenceless innocents
level names aren't translated either

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Overbite posted:

A long time ago I made a youtube video showing off the rage enemy hit animations. The game was bad but the way they spun around or got mad when shot was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytASbQ6SXzk

sorry for the music it was a long time ago

The perfect opportunity to use “Bodies” by Drowning Pool and you missed it :colbert:

Fun fact: that video seems to take place in one of the sewers. A lot of editions of the game (i.e. Steam by default) got those, but they were considered pre-order DLC. They were actually selling sewers in a FPS as bonus content. Shoot some muties, find stuff you can use for crafting supplies, repeat for 5 minutes, 9 times total.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm playing Halo Reach. I have to say that 1/3 into the campaign, I had to lower the difficulty from Heroic to whatever is the second difficulty. Well, the 'had to' part has to be explained, I wasn't stuck, but I was getting bored. More difficulty in this game means much more time having to hide behind cover until my shields recover (almost 10 seconds!), which I hate. Also, I noticed the difficulty was making enemies a bit more tanky, which was messing to with the gunplay feel. Almost a full magazine to kill one the weak grunts is no good. And I will add, getting killed in one hit by some of the elite enemies isn't that fun.

The game, well the win10 version at least, has terrible audio quality/mixing. I wonder what's up with that.

Apart from that, it's of course enjoyable to play thanks to the good design in combat: varied enough enemies, good animations and good, active AI makes up for a lot. Not enough to make up for the 2 weapon limit and shield system, but hey.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 21, 2019

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Things that will happen every time I replay System Shock 2:

- Some document on my desk that shouldn't be used for note taking (bank statement etc.) will end up with [1 4 10 6] scrawled on it. I know those numbers but I like to keep myself honest.
- Shortly before I need to do it I will forget that I'm going to need to replicate a sympathetic resonator, and buy grenades with all my nanites (what a maroon)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

The perfect opportunity to use “Bodies” by Drowning Pool and you missed it :colbert:

Fun fact: that video seems to take place in one of the sewers. A lot of editions of the game (i.e. Steam by default) got those, but they were considered pre-order DLC. They were actually selling sewers in a FPS as bonus content. Shoot some muties, find stuff you can use for crafting supplies, repeat for 5 minutes, 9 times total.

Also the double barrel shotgun was DLC! I really dislike that marketing approach - Bethesda did the same with Evil Within 1 & 2 and there's still no other way to get those weapons. The burst handgun for TEW2 is actually pretty cool.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Turin Turambar posted:

Apart from that, it's of course enjoyable to play thanks to the good design in combat: varied enough enemies, good animations and good, active AI makes up for a lot. Not enough to make up for the 2 weapon limit and shield system, but hey.

At least they brought back the CE style of regenerating shield, limited health. There's very few health kits throughout Reach's campaign so taking damage actually feels like it carries a consequence.

I will never excuse weapon limits. :colbert:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

• The monthly blog post about the development of Master Chief Collection is up, talking about current issues and development progress. Halo 1 will probably be ready for public testing next month, with Halo 2 not far behind.
  • I released an update to my own dumbass mod, Deathmatch Simulator, fixing various bugs, adding a couple of extra features, and spreading some festive cheer.
  • Dopefish is an impressive tool for GameMaker Studio 2-using gamedevs to use Doom WADs to build levels for their 3D games.
  • Bethesda's French division sat down with the Doom 64 re-release recently, if you want a look at raw gameplay. Or the menus in French.

KEX Engine by Night Dive Studios on that Doom64 port so basically a legal Doom64 EX for consoles and PC (and by legal is a purchased Doom64 rom).

At least we know that it'll run well out of the box since it's Kaiser's work.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Convex posted:

Also the double barrel shotgun was DLC! I really dislike that marketing approach - Bethesda did the same with Evil Within 1 & 2 and there's still no other way to get those weapons. The burst handgun for TEW2 is actually pretty cool.

Yeah that was lame as hell. At least in Rage 1, the sawed off could be unlocked with an ini file modification. I’m not sure if you could unlock dlc content in TEW doing the same thing, I never tried.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Guillermus posted:

KEX Engine by Night Dive Studios on that Doom64 port so basically a legal Doom64 EX for consoles and PC (and by legal is a purchased Doom64 rom).

That's not exactly an accurate description. I'll give you the first clue: notice that a Demo starts playing in that stream.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

That's not exactly an accurate description. I'll give you the first clue: notice that a Demo starts playing in that stream.

Didn't watch much of that video besides reading the text and the image of KEX Engine. As long as it runs fine it'll be cool for me.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's an improved Doom64 EX with more accuracy and thoroughness in the reverse-engineering and an updated backend. You could say it's what Doom64 EX would have become if you paid Kaiser to finish it. Oh wait...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wrath got its first patch on Steam. Not a huge one, but apparently it changed the shotgun's alt-fire and there are plans to overhaul some of the other ones too, so I like that they're not treating their initial designs as sacred.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Does Wrath have controller support?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I believe so. At least the engine it uses has controller support.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
loving hell Trepang2 is amazing. Seems kinda weird that something as polished* as that just appears out of nowhere!

*may or may not be a pun

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Convex posted:

loving hell Trepang2 is amazing. Seems kinda weird that something as polished* as that just appears out of nowhere!

*may or may not be a pun

Weeeell, if you go on its moddb page you'll see that there are demos from as far back as Feb 2017, they just weren't really publicized.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm playing Halo Reach. I have to say that 1/3 into the campaign, I had to lower the difficulty from Heroic to whatever is the second difficulty. Well, the 'had to' part has to be explained, I wasn't stuck, but I was getting bored. More difficulty in this game means much more time having to hide behind cover until my shields recover (almost 10 seconds!), which I hate. Also, I noticed the difficulty was making enemies a bit more tanky, which was messing to with the gunplay feel. Almost a full magazine to kill one the weak grunts is no good. And I will add, getting killed in one hit by some of the elite enemies isn't that fun.
Legendary is good for co-op, heroic is good for solo.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Someone was looking for a Black Mesa Alert system vocalizer toy in this thread over the last week and I meant to post this.

https://github.com/SirTangent/VOXGen

It will stall out when it gets to a word that isn't in the database rather than removing the word like it's supposed to but it's pretty good otherwise.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lork posted:

The real problem in both games is that most of the enemies don't react in any way to being shot until they suddenly drop dead.

In order to feel like your gun is doing something, the thing you're shooting needs to react in a satisfying way. PC shooters have historically been terrible at giving enemies hit reactions while they're still alive, but usually had pretty good death animations. This lead many people to the mistaken conclusion that the only, or "proper" way to make killing enemies in a shooter satisfying is to give them low HP. I still see people expressing this sentiment today, but it's wrong.

All you need is for the enemy to react in a convincing way to being shot. They don't have to die right way.

I think the best game I've seen for this is probably Resident Evil 4; nothing I've played on the PC comes close, sadly.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm playing Halo Reach. I have to say that 1/3 into the campaign, I had to lower the difficulty from Heroic to whatever is the second difficulty. Well, the 'had to' part has to be explained, I wasn't stuck, but I was getting bored. More difficulty in this game means much more time having to hide behind cover until my shields recover (almost 10 seconds!), which I hate. Also, I noticed the difficulty was making enemies a bit more tanky, which was messing to with the gunplay feel. Almost a full magazine to kill one the weak grunts is no good.
Here's the counterintuitive part of Halo: the AR is only ever good for popping a certain small obstacle which is NOT in Reach. It's a dead weight on any difficulty above Normal. Your first goal in each level is to drop the AR for whatever non-AR gun you find, and grab a headshot weapon like the magnum, DMR or needle rifle. As mentioned here, the plasma pistol charge-headshot combo is the dominant strategy against elites.

quote:

The game, well the win10 version at least, has terrible audio quality/mixing. I wonder what's up with that.
A major bug of the MCC that won't be fixed in this month.

cuc fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 22, 2019

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Lork posted:

The real problem in both games is that most of the enemies don't react in any way to being shot until they suddenly drop dead.

In order to feel like your gun is doing something, the thing you're shooting needs to react in a satisfying way. PC shooters have historically been terrible at giving enemies hit reactions while they're still alive, but usually had pretty good death animations. This lead many people to the mistaken conclusion that the only, or "proper" way to make killing enemies in a shooter satisfying is to give them low HP. I still see people expressing this sentiment today, but it's wrong.

All you need is for the enemy to react in a convincing way to being shot. They don't have to die right way.

So in Blood some of the zombies don't die the first time around, they get back up and you have to stab them again. The sound changes and there's more blood when you kill them.

I'm wondering if a pc shooter could take a leaf out of the matrix's book. In the shootout scene in the first movie some of the enemies have their feet grazed and they kind of, flip over in the air. I wonder if you could have a similar thing for enemies in games. Getting shot packs a punch, it surely is going to stagger you. You could have enemies that stagger a bit or fall down, but get back up because they're running on low hp/aldrenaline.

Likewise in the third john wick when he's fighting the continental's militia, it's easy to tell when someone's dead in that scene because no blood = still kicking, and they kind of flail around and try to fight back. It would be interesting to see a shooter with similar stuff?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
A paramedic once told me that you only truly know somebody is dead when a blood pool slowly expands beneath their body, the corpse phases into the floor, or they explode into a few large chunks of gibs when you smack them while they're already on the ground.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Paramedics usually aren't legally qualified to declare somebody dead, but they can use the term "injuries incompatible with life", particularly when they recover multiple skulls and spines after a corpse is gibbed.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

But are these gibs ludicrous enough to know if someone's dead?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

treat posted:

A paramedic once told me that you only truly know somebody is dead when a blood pool slowly expands beneath their body, the corpse phases into the floor, or they explode into a few large chunks of gibs when you smack them while they're already on the ground.

I'm still used to the old advice, that they suddenly freeze and look straight at you, then jump up and fall down off the bottom of the screen

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I thought it was when they gained a halo and wings and ascended into the sky, or if they did several cartwheels in place before lying on their back.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Convex posted:

I'm still used to the old advice, that they suddenly freeze and look straight at you, then jump up and fall down off the bottom of the screen

If there are "X"s over their eyes it's a done deal.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
If they dissolve or explode into ink and clothes and you see a little ghost flying away fear not! They’re either going back to the spawn point, or if they have a flotation ring you can just blast them with ink right there to bring them back.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Either I get points or I dont. Thats all that matters

al-azad
May 28, 2009

First thing you learn in boot camp: the enemy isn’t dead until they drop their weapon. If you run over them and their magazine isn’t added to your pouch that motherfucker going to shoot you in the back.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/ben_mansell/status/1208536838706618368

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I thought the rule was they're not dead unless their shoes come off

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Now Doom monsters will give you real nightmares!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Glagha posted:

I thought the rule was they're not dead unless their shoes come off
What if they never had shoes to begin with

What then

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Shadow Hog posted:

What if they never had shoes to begin with

What then

Clearly they're the undead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If the body starts blinking, especially if the blinking then accelerates until the body just stays invisible, you can be sure it's dead.

Also, if the victim's score value appears in big floating numbers above it.