Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Musluk, you already know thiis but you basically have open season any any pissed off dude, lady, inanimate object or emotional concept turned sentient for patch 1.1 in the new year

Also for the card art ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I would like the brave little toaster, only pissed off

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
:yeah:

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Something, can you add to the tooltips on bars?

Ex:

Maybe like whenever Time to level up: is <1s, have it say how many fills per second? Looking at that (and it's not a bar with a cap button), I have no clue whatsoever if I'm getting 25 / second or if I'm short and only getting 12 and wasting a bunch of energy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pixaal posted:

I would like the brave little toaster, only pissed off
The Angry Little Toaster

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

something posted:

Musluk, you already know thiis but you basically have open season any any pissed off dude, lady, inanimate object or emotional concept turned sentient for patch 1.1 in the new year

Also for the card art ;)

david byrne in his suit

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Change all the itopods to dinosaurs

Yw

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

where is my goatse iptopod

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Antimatter Dimensions on Android is pretty nice, more than I expected. All the cringy reddit bullshit art is on the achievements tab, and you can just ignore that.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
NGU: i don't actually know this: Does sadistic NGUs apply while you are in evil mode? (or evil ones in normal for that matter)

I remember when Evil first released it was stated that features that have "evil only" in their description only apply while in evil mode yet for example the accessory slots you get in evil or sadistic are still available for use when you go down to lower difficulties so the "evil only" statement always struck me as untrue?
Additionally, NGUs have no such descrption in the first place.

Wouldn't mind a clarification on this issue as a whole, not just for NGUs specifically

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Just wanted to say that NGU boss 145 made laugh out loud this morning. That is all.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
edit: never mind! messed up my advanced trainings

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Anyone tried Wizard and Minion Idle? I hear it's heavily inspired by NGU, not sure if it's worth checking out though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's an awful looking clusterfuck.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
After I started playing NGU, I tried to check out a bunch of other idle / incremental games and found out they're generally way worse. NGU's UI kind of makes sense, leaving it head and shoulders above the rest of the genre and that 'WTF Do I Do?' button is sorely missed on most games.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ineptitude posted:

NGU: i don't actually know this: Does sadistic NGUs apply while you are in evil mode? (or evil ones in normal for that matter)

No.

Normal NGUs apply everywhere.
Evil NGUs apply in evil and sadistic.
Sadistic NGUs apply in sadistic only.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Falcon2001 posted:

Anyone tried Wizard and Minion Idle? I hear it's heavily inspired by NGU, not sure if it's worth checking out though.

Looks ugly, especially at the start, but once the systems click it's not bad at all mechanically. Quite good in fact. You'll need to understand its own version of parallel resetting but the challenges are pretty great and the progression is solid.

Honestly the biggest problem the game has is thematic and aesthetic cohesion, or a lack thereof. Otherwise, it's a pretty solid take on the whole "seeing small numbers become bigger numbers in a variety of interlocking systems"-idle style that NGU did a stellar job at.

Currently it's the main game I play alongside NGU, with occasional pop-ins to Incremancer and Arcanum to see if they've updated.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 22, 2019

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Falcon2001 posted:

Echoing others but yes WAMI is aesthetically terrible and mechanically excellent. While NGU has a consistent theme and actual art now, WAMI is just a hot mess of differing quality and artistic choices.

However it's a fantastic brother to NGU which will have you feeling right at home while exploring way different mechanics. It's great and kinda janky but absolutely worth your time if NGU is your jam.

Speaking of which I started a new game of NGU in the steam client because I'm a deeply broken person I couldn't remember all the things I needed to do at the stage I was. Early game is very smooth now. That is I guess compared to whenever the last beta reset was but still, the early humps are nice and manageable.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Eldercain posted:

Change all the itopods to dinosaurs

Yw

SynthesisAlpha posted:

WAMI is mechanically excellent

WAMI, last I checked, was hot garbage.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Double post, whatever.

Here have a poll about ladies of ITOPOD:

https://www.strawpoll.me/19116119

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Musluk posted:

Double post, whatever.

Big Boss from MGS3 isnt a chick wtf

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Musluk posted:

Double post, whatever.

Do Utena.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I voted for Calamity Jane, but my suggestion is Calamity Jane as she was portrayed on Deadwood.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Musluk posted:

WAMI, last I checked, was hot garbage.

Mechanically? Like, what's the beef? I've pushed a fair bit into it (about a third of the way based on the suggested Challenge progression on the WAMI wiki) and right now my biggest problems are stuff that should probably tick when offline not being designed to tick offline (which is a minor issue shared with NGU, see: the things people would like have offline options, like item drops) and one of the major features (slimes) being introduced far too early before it becomes actually relevant.

Like again, if you wanna say WAMI looks like hot garbage I'd be with you to a degree, but mechanically? The systems work, progression has been pretty tight without major gaps or long-idling deadzones, the monetization mirrors NGU's... I really don't get what the issues might be.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
As someone who tried WAMI on the recommendation of some of the people here then put it down again within five minutes:

The very first mechanic WAMI introduces you to is awful. You get a couple dozen options to assign a limited resource to, with the only difference being that some of them cost more to start and produce more per loop but all of them increase rapidly in cost as you do them so you feel like you need to balance your assignment somehow but:
a. There's no way to even be confident that you have a reasonable guess, let alone optimize, without doing an incredibly irritating kind of algebra problem
b. It uses NGU's type-a-number-and-then-click-an-arrow interface for assigning the resource which is good for situations where you almost always want to cap one thing before putting anything into another, but very bad for doing tricky algebra

Every other mechanic in the game could be great and I would never know because there's no way I'm going through that.

quick edit: It's like if NGU's Basic Training was replaced with Augments except without the limit of gold to make "put one level in the highest augment plausibly doable" an obviously correct move early on and with 3-4 times as many options. The game becomes unplayable due to lack of constraints on an optimization problem. (oddly enough, if you were to just remove the ability to freely unassign the resource that one constraint would almost reduce it to Cookie Clicker, which is intuitively approximately solvable?)

Sillyman fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 21, 2019

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

write-in vote of rin tohsaka

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

:psyduck:

I strongly disagree with this assessment. The first system the game throws your way, Spells, is fairly straight-forward to understand. You just 50% whatever Mana you have between an Offense and a Defense spell at the same tier. Each tier is just more efficiency at a higher Cap/Power cost. This means that really there aren't a couple dozen options at all, there's only ever one option and that's whatever tier you eyeball as being the most efficient at the moment. Maybe you check to see if the next tier represents some noticeable jump in efficiency but you're really not looking for small marginal gains in order to determine what tier you should be doing long-term. This is because you only need as much Offense/Defense as whatever value you need to unlock or progress to the next system. This isn't like Basic Training at all because you're not looking at a system that needs to be chugging along 24/7, it's more like limited Augment grinding when you're a half-dozen or so stages from getting to your next Boss or Adventure Zone in NGU. You'd pop your Energy in whatever Augement feels most efficient (which, by the by, you can't math out without 3rd party stuff in NGU either), check to see if you have the stats to survive reaching the point you need to reach and then remove the Energy and put it elsewhere. It's the same thing with spells.

Spells are a very basic system to understand and I'm kinda' surprised people bounce off it at all. I mean, "without doing an incredibly irritating kind of algebra problem" is a massive overreaction, you don't need on any level to be pulling out spreadsheets for the Spells because they're just a very small stepping stone to other things. They're nowhere near that important and it's really not that hard to figure that fact out.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 22, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

if you're going to repeatedly use the fake word from a scifi novel, at least learn to spell it correctly

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Lone Goat posted:

if you're going to repeatedly use the fake word from a scifi novel, at least learn to spell it correctly

Thanks? Not read the book but I've seen it used a fair bit on SA and English isn't even my first language, but if that's what you're hung up about I'll change it to "understand". :shrug:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's short for "gronkowski"

(i think you meant "grok")

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

not an emptyquote

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Musluk posted:

Double post, whatever.

I didn’t know I wanted Mags in a video game until now, but sadly it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen here.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Compare that to the very first thing you see in NGU, which is Basic Training, and gives you exactly two possible things to spend your energy on. There's no real decision to be made - you put your stuff in one of them and then watch the Number go Up.

And that's it! Now you're playing the game! You go to the fight boss menu, fight some bosses, and watch things slowly creep up, figure out that you should probably be splitting your energy between the attack and defense trainings. Then you unlock the adventure menu, and start fighting enemies in the starter zone, collecting some gold and items.

Eventually you get told about rebirthing and NUMBER, and it's easy to see how having a bigger NUMBER will help you defeat more bosses. So you do that, power through the early bosses (that you took a decent amount of training before!), and eventually get to boss 17 and unlock Augments.

At which point, sure, that's a big menu ... but you still only have one choice! Everything except for the very first augment is locked behind a "defeat a later boss to unlock this augment". So really your only choice is how you split your energy between the old feature and the new one you just unlocked.

There's a solid progression there, gradually introducing you to new options, and only expanding out once you've had time to become familiar with what your current options are. It's much better than being dumped in with a bunch of options from the get-go and being told to figure it out yourself.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I honestly don't see the WAMI Spells feature being too complex, too much for a first brush or requiring some kind of insane out-of-game spread-sheeting. Like, I've bounced off plenty of Idle games' first-session gamefeel but this clicked pretty quick. I guess I'm in the minority because I really don't understand how this is giving people this much trouble.

Like yeah the game is ugly, but hard to pick up? Really? Huh.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Musluk posted:

Double post, whatever.

I would like to write in Marina Liteyears from Mischief Makers for the N64, please.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Musluk posted:

Double post, whatever.

You mention Saint's Row, and no Shaundi? For shame.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

KazigluBey posted:

I honestly don't see the WAMI Spells feature being too complex, too much for a first brush or requiring some kind of insane out-of-game spread-sheeting. Like, I've bounced off plenty of Idle games' first-session gamefeel but this clicked pretty quick. I guess I'm in the minority because I really don't understand how this is giving people this much trouble.

I'm giving it a chance but mostly playing it "offline" because not only the UI is pretty bad but for some reason they picked twelve shades of poop brown for most of it.

I'm still pretty early on but are there any newbie traps to look out for? You mentioned Slimes not being good until much later so I'm wondering about other stuff.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

The Fool posted:

I didn’t know I wanted Mags in a video game until now, but sadly it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen here.

Believe you me, she'll appear one way or the other.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

KazigluBey posted:

What spell should a total beginner invest in?
Why is that not the only spell unlocked at the start of the game?

If they haven't put any thought into the first-time experience, what is there to suggest that the rest of the game is somehow worthwhile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Big Boss from MGS3 isnt a chick wtf

I'm gonna just assume they meant The Boss instead.