Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The SituAsian posted:

The supposed pound for pound number 1 fighter getting rocked by and being reduced to coinflip exchanges with a top 15-20 welterweight gives me a serious case of "Peloton Lady" face

Terrible fight plan out of Crawford but I like that I got to watch an entertaining fight when I wasn't expecting to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I don't think I understand a whole lot about this fight because of alcohol except bud is p good

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Grittybeard posted:

Terrible fight plan out of Crawford but I like that I got to watch an entertaining fight when I wasn't expecting to.

True, it was unexpectedly tense in those mid rounds but Crawford's class came though. No idea if this more attribute to something wrong with Bud or Mean Machine's showing class we didn't know he had. And unfortunately with the (all credit to Ninth Layer) Battle of Brands, we will never know.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 15, 2019

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Sometimes two time olympians have enough skill to trouble even a dominant champ

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
How long are ESPN and Top Rank going to keep lining up these soft touches for Crawford and telling us he's p4p number 1? This guy was coming off a draw to a gatekeeper.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monday Bandele posted:

How long are ESPN and Top Rank going to keep lining up these soft touches for Crawford and telling us he's p4p number 1? This guy was coming off a draw to a gatekeeper.

Wasn’t this a mandatory WBO title defense?

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
The WBO which Arum has control over. Jeff Horn, peg leg Benavidez, totally washed Amir Khan, and now """"Mean Machine""""...even Shawn Porter would be a huge step up in level from these opponents.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Crawford made a mistake resigning to Top Rank. All the good welters are on the other side of the street and Haymon is just as content to make them fight each other.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Seeing as the year's almost over I've been thinking over things like who is the fighter of the year. And uhh, it's Manny Pacquiao.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Seeing as the year's almost over I've been thinking over things like who is the fighter of the year. And uhh, it's Manny Pacquiao.

Top 5 biggest fights in 2020:

1. Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury/Deontay Wilder winner
2. Errol Spence vs Terence Crawford
3. Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin 3*
4. Vasyl Lomachenko vs Teofimo Lopez
5. Josh Taylor vs Jose Carlos Ramirez

*Don't really care to see this one as in my book GGG is 2-0 over Canelo, but it's still the biggest fight Canelo could take in 2020.

Also Naoya Inoue vs any titlist at 118-122.

Year end pound for pound list:

1. Vasyl Lomachenko
2. Terence Crawford
3. Canelo Alvarez
4. Naoya Inoue
5. Oleksandr Usyk
6. Errol Spence
7. Gennady Golovkin
8. Mikey Garcia
9. Artur Beterbiev
10. Josh Taylor

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 16, 2019

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Also Naoya Inoue vs any titlist at 118-122.

inoue vs dick machine 2 imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72adrlVPTK8

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Too many fights scheduled around the holidays

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1207717113529372672?s=19

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

JCC couldn't make weight? What a shocker

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Aubergine Mage posted:

JCC couldn't make weight? What a shocker

I mean is it so wrong for me to be rooting for Chavez Jr. in all these step up fights just to see how much boxing twitter will lose its collective poo poo if he were to actually win?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This Jacobs-JCC card is mismatch city

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

sportsgenius86 posted:

This Jacobs-JCC card is mismatch city

The Eddie Hearn special with the flavors of the Southwest

Martinez and Rosales are going at it though

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
This Martinez v Rosales fight is out of this world. Turn this on now.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good stoppage. That was bad for a long time. Martinez is amazing, first time I’ve watched a fighter that has EVERYTHING I like to see in a fighter. Well, he fights a little flat-footed, but that doesn’t stop him from jumping in and switching stances in between punches. His body punches and combos are FIERCE.

As the Sergio said, “it’s a barrage.”

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I mean if you're going to sign Chavez Jr. to a main event bringing him to a heavy Latino city which doesn't get fights often is a pretty good idea.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Lol Jr. pulled a repeat of the Fonfara fight and just quit claiming a hand injury.

He is dunzo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That sure was a Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. experience

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Mickey Rourke holding a jacket over Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. to protect him from flying food and drink is the greatest image of our times

EDIT: We can safely end the decade now fellas

https://twitter.com/PatrickMConnor/status/1208248836289810432

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 21, 2019

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This is a complete shitshow holy hell

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Best part of this that gabe rosado had to fight in an empty arena

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

lol

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ESPN posted:

Chavez made plenty of excuses following the fight, including accusing Jacobs of fouls that did not occur, and even had the audacity to call for a rematch.

"I was getting close but got head-butted above the left eye," Chavez said. "Then I had problems because of all the blood. I came over to the corner and couldn't breathe. He elbowed me and head-butted me. Very tough fight. I felt I couldn't go because I couldn't breathe properly. The ref wasn't calling anything.

"I apologize to the fans. I'd love to have a rematch. I got head-butted. He fought a dirty fight and [the referee] didn't even take a point away. He would have been able to continue doing the dirty work."

Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. backed up his son.

"With all due respect to the fans of Phoenix, Arizona, I disagree with you. My son was making a competitive fight and he was winning," Chavez Sr. wrote on social media. "Unfortunately, he was head-butted and elbowed. He has a broken nose and will undergo surgery now."

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Fwiw I’ve heard the clip of Sr that’s been getting passed around has been taken a bit out of context in that it wasn’t directly from the quit but around a different part of fight and probably wasn’t directed at his son specifically.

No clue if that’s true but you know.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

One more chance. Always one more chance with Hijo

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

For those interested, this Harrison-Charlo rematch at 154 right now is pretty entertaining. This is an even matchup IMHO especially since neither guy has much interest in effective jabbing.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bit of an early stoppage imo. To me it looked like he was defending himself and slipping punches on the ropes.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

this is an outrage

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Goddamnit it's the end of the decade, time to be all sentimental and poo poo.

In my (very uneducated) opinion

Fighter of the decade - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather
Runners up: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez
Roman 'Chocolatito' Gonzalez

Fight of the decade - Manny Pacquiao - Juan Manuel Marquez 4
Runners up - Timothy Bradley - Ruslan Provodnikov
Victor Ortiz - Andre Berto 1

Round of the decade - Anthony Joshua - Andy Ruiz 1 Round 3
Deontay Wilder - Tyson Fury Round 12
Manny Pacquiao - Juan Manuel Marquez 4 Round 5

EDIT: Ortiz-Berto 1 not to be confused with the woeful rematch years after both were horribly washed

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 24, 2019

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

That's a pretty good list. I think fighter of the decade has to be either Floyd Mayweather or Andre Ward. Canelo and Manny both have cases but I can't reconcile either of them getting that distinction over Mayweather who beat them.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

I still cant believe Fury got up from that Wilder shot

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
As someone with a more casual relationship to the sport, I'll always remember Joshua vs Klitschko as the "oh, I can be excited about heavyweights again" milestone.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

That's a pretty good list. I think fighter of the decade has to be either Floyd Mayweather or Andre Ward. Canelo and Manny both have cases but I can't reconcile either of them getting that distinction over Mayweather who beat them.

What Manny has done at the beginning and end of the decade has been amazing but I just can't ignore the fact that (whatever you may think about them) he lost 4 times in 6 years including a brutal knockout

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Speaking of brutal knockouts Wilder-Fury 2 finally over the line. Joint Fox-ESPN pay per view with ESPN production and crew.

https://twitter.com/BronzeBomber/status/1210599610353369089?s=19

https://twitter.com/Tyson_Fury/status/1210599628871127041?s=19

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I’m glad the these Las Vegas flight tickets I already had will let me see a fight and not just spend a weekend in Vegas

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thinking about grabbing tickets to this. Haven’t travelled to a fight ever, unless I can drive there. Maybe some of y’all have experience going to fights in Vegas? Could I do it on a budget by staying in Old Vegas? I don’t drink or gamble, just wanna see the fight and have a decent meal.

I get the feeling the tickets are going to be out of my price range because they haven’t even listed them yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I was under the impression that big name vegas fights are mostly full of celebrities, comped high rollers, and some combination of both and that the average fight fan gets hosed, but I'm also dumb cynical and have never been so maybe I'm wrong.