Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

kecske posted:

the palace of westminster? Ha ha ha

signed, Ian hislop

A funnier observation than the recent private eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

MikeCrotch posted:

(otoh ask me about weird bodybuilding diets, like the person who eats nothing but breakfast cereal, skim milk and whey powder)

that sounds pretty good to me tbh

what kind of cereal? like bran or sugared-sugar or something in between

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Jel Shaker posted:

A funnier observation than the recent private eye

Or Charlie Brooker's HIGNFY holocaust joke.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

jaete posted:

that sounds pretty good to me tbh

what kind of cereal? like bran or sugared-sugar or something in between

Bran flakes are the best

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bran flakes with a banana sliced on top and drizzled with golden syrup.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Jesus I actually thought Harttersly was dead

Last of the gaitskellites

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Literally the only memorable thing about Roy Hattersley is him agreeing to go on HIGNFY back when Angus Deayton hosted and then not turning up and being replaced with a literal tub of lard.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Pistol_Pete posted:

If they ever did something more than whinge, I might have some iota of respect for them even if I disagreed with their conclusions but nope, it's 'Momentum thugs' all the way down.

The general quality is extremely lacking for sure, I honestly think any UKMTr could write a more relevant and entertaining takedown of the left than literally any of these boomer or no-soul wastes.

But that's the point, it's not that the relentless op-eds have any intellectual value and they certainly have no moral value, it's the sheer repetition of them that piles into just enough influence to keep the pedo elite in charge. If any of you lot have a good speaking voice and an hour and a half free every other night there is absolutely a gap in the Youtube market to do a 'today in stupid' on how lovely the liberal media is from a left perspective because it is the most endless content source.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Or Charlie Brooker's HIGNFY holocaust joke.

To be fair it wasn't Brooker's joke. Its one of the HIGNFY writers jokes and they're all awful born to wealth shitheads gifted careers doing bland jokes.

Doesn't excuse Brooker reading it though. If anyone should know better its him.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Vitamin P posted:

The general quality is extremely lacking for sure, I honestly think any UKMTr could write a more relevant and entertaining takedown of the left than literally any of these boomer or no-soul wastes.

But that's the point, it's not that the relentless op-eds have any intellectual value and they certainly have no moral value, it's the sheer repetition of them that piles into just enough influence to keep the pedo elite in charge. If any of you lot have a good speaking voice and an hour and a half free every other night there is absolutely a gap in the Youtube market to do a 'today in stupid' on how lovely the liberal media is from a left perspective because it is the most endless content source.

Can I interest you in a certain podcast?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Firos posted:

Can I interest you in a certain podcast?

Youtube autoplay offers me nothing but Chapo, Nick Fuentes, Shaun and Thought Slime so I'm happy to plug something else into the algorithm hit me up.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/barneyfarmer/status/1208553379712159745?s=19

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

A lot of eighties politicians (including Hattersley) are coasting on the goodwill they got from being beloved Spitting Image puppets. Turned out that Spitting Image did the opposite of the thing it was supposed to do.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
Thing is, various groups of the Labour right would probably have a bit of success by putting forward their own vision and set of policies, and trying to peel off moderates and newer people. Instead it's been nothing but wall-to-wall entitlement and active collaboration with the Tory press. Even if they got their way and became the opposition, they'd get absolutely eaten alive because they have nothing to offer.

I'm guessing it's too late to do much about the MPs, but Labour absolutely need to clean house and get the organisation functioning.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Vitamin P posted:

Nick Fuentes
:stare:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The real question:

Is it funnier to pronounce Chipotle like Aristotle, or Aristotle like Chipotle?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

As I prepare to drive back oop north to spend a couple of weeks hating family, I'd like to leave you with a hateful combination of Guardian and Nonce:

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1208386843919691776

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1208504931159810049?s=19

Something is going on in Jess Phillips' brain, but gently caress if I know what it is ...

Screenshot as I don't think this on will last:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that does make sense it's just probably wrong in the way she means it.

What she's saying is you have to be nice to people and compromise or they won't listen to you and you won't succeed, and everything in the tweet technically contributes to that point, it's just weirdly written.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The Guardian (Observer?) currently has 4 opinion pieces up attacking the left lol.

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

Thing is, various groups of the Labour right would probably have a bit of success by putting forward their own vision and set of policies, and trying to peel off moderates and newer people. Instead it's been nothing but wall-to-wall entitlement and active collaboration with the Tory press. Even if they got their way and became the opposition, they'd get absolutely eaten alive because they have nothing to offer.

I'm guessing it's too late to do much about the MPs, but Labour absolutely need to clean house and get the organisation functioning.

I see the Labour Right are sticking with their tried and tested strategy of winning by insulting the membership.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

What she's saying is you have to be nice to people and compromise or they won't listen to you and you won't succeed, and everything in the tweet technically contributes to that point, it's just weirdly written.

It also looks like it says you need to compromise on politics to reach a wider voter base.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah obviously because centrists are pathologically obsessed with it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Like yeah we do run a risk of alienating some people if they come to believe we hold them in contempt.

However, it is eternally loving mystifying how the left, who are contemputuous of abuses, bigotry, and throwing some group out as a sacrifice to racists, gets such more scrutiny on that front than the right, who hold 99% of the population in open contempt.

:thunkher:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also "we need to compromise" does not automatically mean "the compromise I am suggesting is the correct one" even if you accept the premise.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Holly gently caress Hattersley is still alive? I honestly thought he died about 25 years ago.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I understand why people are giving up on electoral politics: as a species we vote in people we think look like leaders. Mostly that’s height, being aged 40-60 and having male secondary sexual characteristics.

E: Actually you can spoof it. Deng Xiaoping was short, and put a lot of effort into having photos taken when he was sitting in a chair and whichever other politician he was dealing with had to bend down and talk to him like a servant whispering in their employer’s ear. So however we subconsciously judge it is influenced by status markers too somehow.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 22, 2019

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I am quite curious to know what the readership of the guardian is, because I’d imagine it’s more left than the gaggle of Lib Dem neoliberals they seem to hire for their opinions

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The main component of the readership of any paper are people who probably don't have coherent political opinions, because most people don't have coherent political opinions and papers are a mass consumption product.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
https://twitter.com/gabriel_pogrund/status/1208503645584666626?s=21

This would explain what happened around here.

https://twitter.com/gabriel_pogrund/status/1208503696029601794?s=21

loving lol. That worked well.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The guardian gets 23 million readers apparently so I guess it's a pretty broad church.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

It's not weirdly written if you assume she's accusing the left of this ("you reach the few not the many") while also trying to whitewash her own history of publicly undermining the party and stoking that kind of division and mistrust in the first place

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Andrew Rawnsley making it clear that the Labour Right will be using this election loss to attempt to permanently crush the Left:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/22/labour-has-no-hope-of-rebuilding-unless-it-breaks-cold-grip-of-the-hard-left

David Miliband calling for a reduction in party democracy and giving the PLP the biggest say in who gets to be leader:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/22/labour-repelled-voters-political-graveyard-david-miliband

quote:

The next leadership team needs to show the British people that they recognise the fundamental errors of policy and character that made Labour unelectable.
(unfortunately, he omitted to mention in the article what these were.)

If the Labour right win the leadership election, it'll be straight back to a strategy of bland, timid triangulation that'll lead the party into oblivion in the current political atmosphere.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

only the new candidates were subject to the NEC emergency selection, so a successful wave of offensive gains would have driven a change in the PLP composition...

I do wonder what made them so certain of Labour gains. StatsForLefties-style unskewing being taken seriously? Groupthink?

What confuses me is that the initial campaign process suggested a desperation to kneecap the Lib Dems, not swerve toward older Leavers. Free broadband &c instead of headlining free personal care. If the plan all along was to target Leave seat gains, why was the turn toward Neutral Stance only on 22nd Nov, how was that question not resolved at the manifesto meeting? Why was the WASPI pledge so late?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

SpaceCommie posted:

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1208504931159810049?s=19

Something is going on in Jess Phillips' brain, but gently caress if I know what it is ...

Screenshot as I don't think this on will last:

When even Jess thinks the attack articles are a bit much...

Seriously, it's like some of the old guard have not learnt anything the past four years. The new members are not going to go away, it would be more productive to at least try to compromise and offer a unity candidate. Have Jess talk about railways, or have Stella Creasey run and talk about the Northern Powerhouse.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Beefeater1980 posted:

I understand why people are giving up on electoral politics: as a species we vote in people we think look like leaders. Mostly that’s height, being aged 40-60 and having male secondary sexual characteristics.

I just finished reading Learned Optimism, where Seligman claims to be able to predict who will win elections based on how “optimistic” their speeches are. If you read the book you’ll see that optimists are basically huge stupid assholes who blame others for their problems, never admit fault, are wrong about everything, and resemble insurance salesmen. It’s true and I hate it.

Seligman’s position is that we should all learn to be optimists but I’d rather loving not.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
When's the next time mandatory reselection can be raised? The Labour right are making it clear that they are not going to stop their attempts at sabotage. They are writing articles encouraging and justifying their future attacks on the left. Corbyn was wrong about this. The membership needs to be able to remove them and replace them with people who will work with the party, not against it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ronya posted:

only the new candidates were subject to the NEC emergency selection, so a successful wave of offensive gains would have driven a change in the PLP composition...

I do wonder what made them so certain of Labour gains. StatsForLefties-style unskewing being taken seriously? Groupthink?

What confuses me is that the initial campaign process suggested a desperation to kneecap the Lib Dems, not swerve toward older Leavers. Free broadband &c instead of headlining free personal care. If the plan all along was to target Leave seat gains, why was the turn toward Neutral Stance only on 22nd Nov, how was that question not resolved at the manifesto meeting? Why was the WASPI pledge so late?

Yeah really the first point is a response to the failure to get mandatory reselection going and having to use a strategy like this to clear out the right wing, risky at best although probably essential to conceive of the PLP actually supporting the manifesto in practice.

I doubt anyone will ever really know on the second point, there were so many reasons to expect the Tories to be unpopular at this point.

As for the anti lib dem approach remember at the start the Brexit Party was standing everywhere so both main parties were getting flanked everywhere while Labour policy still had to sell a referendum to Remainers as better than revoking A50 and appeal more to the sensibilities of those likely to jump to Lib dems. I'd guess that given what both of the flanking parties then did it became necessary or obvious in internal polling to address the evidently weaker support from Leavers.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

cool newspaper

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
Honestly I'm terrified by the consistent line being that the 'hard left' hosed up with idpol and (to a slightly lesser extent) that we need to find a middle ground.
I know I keep popping in here just to go 'BTW IM A GAY TRAN' but, like, what is the middle ground I'm supposed to find with TERFs or even other less vitriolic people who still seem to think my existence is some kind of metropolitan frippery incompatible with the working class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
This unstated idea that a leftwing opposition party shouldn't even try to win an election is some pretty peak liberalism, so it's not surprising that ronya would be the one to push it.

bionic vapour boy posted:

Honestly I'm terrified by the consistent line being that the 'hard left' hosed up with idpol and (to a slightly lesser extent) that we need to find a middle ground.
I know I keep popping in here just to go 'BTW IM A GAY TRAN' but, like, what is the middle ground I'm supposed to find with TERFs or even other less vitriolic people who still seem to think my existence is some kind of metropolitan frippery incompatible with the working class?

The Labour Right's stance summed up:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732