Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
For some reason I thought Roach was just whatever he named his current horse, like Air Force One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Queen Combat posted:

For some reason I thought Roach was just whatever he named his current horse, like Air Force One.

Pretty sure that's been said. But he loves each and every one.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Who named their horse Air Force One?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Clearly it should be Air Horse One.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Clearly it should be Air Horse One.

Roach can fly so I'm OK with this

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Queen Combat posted:

Thats the case in the books (and IIRC book Geralt doesnt particularly give a poo poo about any of his horses. He calls them all roach for convinience and doesnt get attached to them. When they get eaten/stolen/run away hes more annoyed at the inconvenience than anything else.). In the games (and possibly the show? Havent watched it yet, but I wouldnt be surprised at all) Roach is Geralts Horse and he cares about him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Geralt is the exciteable little girl in old cartoons who gets the main characters as pets and but they find a cemetary in the backyard with gravestones with "Roach nnn" carved on them.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

Geralt is the exciteable little girl in old cartoons who gets the main characters as pets and but they find a cemetary in the backyard with gravestones with "Roach nnn" carved on them.

I know that this is an old trope with many iterations, but for some reason in my head you are specifically talking about Elmyra Duff from Tiny Toon Adventures.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I know that this is an old trope with many iterations, but for some reason in my head you are specifically talking about Elmyra Duff from Tiny Toon Adventures.

Mine too, because my initial response was "Since when was tiny toons an old cartoon?" then I realised "Oh, thats right. I'm getting old.".

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fafhrd wielded his signature two-handed blade, Graywand, which was just what he called whichever sword he had picked up recently.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SiKboy posted:

Mine too, because my initial response was "Since when was tiny toons an old cartoon?" then I realised "Oh, thats right. I'm getting old.".

A friend of mine made a comment about Golden Compass coming out a few years ago, he had forgotten it came out in 2007 and that we're 30 now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Fuuuuuck this reminded me of Pinky, Elmyra, and The Brain. What a network fuckup that was. Pinky and the Brain was awesome but WB wanted a sitcom instead, and, welp. Best part of that show was the theme song making GBS threads all over it.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

It sounded genius but was, in retrospect, insane.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tunicate posted:

Fafhrd wielded his signature two-handed blade, Graywand, which was just what he called whichever sword he had picked up recently.

It would be funny to have a Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser video game with an inventory system, and every time you put a weapon in Fafhrd's hands, it changes its name to Graywand. And you can give him joke weapons, like a rake, and it's still Graywand.

"Graywand and I will handle this" *pulls out an oar, does a Musashi*

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

SiKboy posted:

Hmm, a modern reboot from my youth is now a quarter-century old.

I've reflected and I do not like this.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Caught The Long Kiss Goodnight recently and I was happy to see a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it bit of continuity. In an early scene a revenge-fueled generic bad guy shoots a shotgun/rocket launcher in the protagonist’s home and blows out part of a wall.

Much later in the movie our heroes return to the home for the first time since and in the interim the husband has put up plywood to cover the hole.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SiKboy posted:

That show is 29 years old. If you wait a few weeks until the new year then it'll be 30 years old!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Fuuuuuck this reminded me of Pinky, Elmyra, and The Brain. What a network fuckup that was. Pinky and the Brain was awesome but WB wanted a sitcom instead, and, welp. Best part of that show was the theme song making GBS threads all over it.

For some reason some WB exec really, really liked Elmyra. I'm pretty sure he was a pedophile.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For some reason some WB exec really, really liked Elmyra. I'm pretty sure he was a pedophile.

Tiny Toons also had a weirdo fan that was obsessed with the lady skunk character. Apparently he would send in 5 letters a week detailing how much he loved her, and the voice actor who voiced her etc. They turned it into an in-show joke in one episode by having this fat neckbeard show up spouting obsessive nonsense, and all the characters were terrified of him.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

SiKboy posted:

Sounds like you’re getting a little looney

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I love that Henry Cavill was too goddamned swole to play Geralt in The Witcher without causing some issues.

From a VERY SPOILERY article if you haven't watched the first season (no spoilers included in the quote)

quote:

While most of The Witcher’s extras brandish fake swords, the one Cavill wields is real. The actor was heavily involved in the design process, according to Jeffries, influencing the size, the cut, and how it would move in his hands. Costume designer Tim Aslam adds to the mythic nature of Cavill’s influence, saying that not only was the actor particular about his outfit, but that during shooting, his muscles wore down the leather at such an alarming rate that replacements were constantly produced to meet the production’s needs.

More like Gesalt of Rippedia, amirite? :haw:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
So Henry Cavill is real life Juandissimo from Fairly Odd Parents?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hnngh, director, I'm trying to play Geralt, but I'm dummy swole and the cut of my abs keeps wearing out my costumes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Movie tanners will love working with him. So much work for the leather-workers on set.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

A number of animals were harmed in the making of this show

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Tiny Toons also had a weirdo fan that was obsessed with the lady skunk character. Apparently he would send in 5 letters a week detailing how much he loved her, and the voice actor who voiced her etc. They turned it into an in-show joke in one episode by having this fat neckbeard show up spouting obsessive nonsense, and all the characters were terrified of him.

http://unpromisedone.blogspot.com/2012/11/meet-dennis-quozl-falk-man-who-got-tiny.html?m=1

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I'm on a tarkovksy kick atm

Just finished off Solaris and that movie is so dang it's own thing either you could fit half the move in a post here with cool little catches, or it's all super meant to be here

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

SiKboy posted:

I had to introduce a colleague to the audiovisual masterpiece of Particle Man last week. I weep for the uncultured youth.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Someone in some other thread noted that we are now further away in time from the 1990's Brady Bunch remakes than the Brady Bunch remakes were from the original Brady Bunch.

Time stands still for no one.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Someone in some other thread noted that we are now further away in time from the 1990's Brady Bunch remakes than the Brady Bunch remakes were from the original Brady Bunch.

Time stands still for no one.

On Thursday, a friend pointed out that if That 70's Show, which debuted in 1998 and was set in 1976 were to be made today, it would be set in 1997.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

On the other hand, we do get Stranger Things.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Jestery posted:

I'm on a tarkovksy kick atm

Just finished off Solaris and that movie is so dang it's own thing either you could fit half the move in a post here with cool little catches, or it's all super meant to be here

Is there an English dub somewhere of this version? I read the book and saw the Clooney version, but have wanted to watch the original.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just watch the original with subs

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Just watch the original with subs

Oops, yeah, sorry, that’s what I meant. Do any of the streaming services offer it with English subs? Or should I look to :filez:?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

Oops, yeah, sorry, that’s what I meant. Do any of the streaming services offer it with English subs? Or should I look to :filez:?

its a criterion so hulu might, idk if hulu still offers all the criterions

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

scary ghost dog posted:

its a criterion so hulu might, idk if hulu still offers all the criterions

I think they got rid of all of them a year or two ago.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Criterion has its own streaming platform now. It doesn’t have all of their collection tho. It had Stalker tho

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Cacafuego posted:

The full version is on YouTube. The Russian company that owns the rights to all Tarcovskys movies out them all up for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

I thought he obsessed over babs bunny rather than the skunk, but it turns out it was the voice actress for both. Also, holy poo poo that might be the most 2003 internet thing ive ever read.

All Your Base references make me die a little every time i see them now.