Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You probably need very little aerodynamic gain to compensate for the electronics' energy use. But the total can't be worth it in my opinion. Higher cost, worse view etc.

Why not simply put a fisheye lens high up on the B-pillar or on some other way make the view superior to a regular mirror?

Or the other way, find a more clever way to package an optical mirror so it makes a little less drag. Partly inside the car, just behind the a-pillar, perhaps that could work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Put it just behind the headlights on the fender facing back so it gets less of a blind spot

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Finger Prince posted:

(camera dildo in question)

This is one of the things giving me heartburn about buying a new EV - we're trading electronic complexity for mechanical complexity. Side mirrors and fenders are already expensive enough to replace without adding in the electronics. I might save a shitload of money on oil changes but how much of a pain in the arse are those cameras going to be after ten years of water infiltration?

otoh it seems to be a thing on all cars not just EVs, so I should probably just accept the fact I'm going to get screwed one way or the other.

Also, that is really ugly.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Just put a fisheye inside the glass and make the side windows a slightly different shape.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

This is one of the things giving me heartburn about buying a new EV - we're trading electronic complexity for mechanical complexity. Side mirrors and fenders are already expensive enough to replace without adding in the electronics. I might save a shitload of money on oil changes but how much of a pain in the arse are those cameras going to be after ten years of water infiltration?

otoh it seems to be a thing on all cars not just EVs, so I should probably just accept the fact I'm going to get screwed one way or the other.

Also, that is really ugly.

Yeah, this Lexus implementation seems particularly bad, you still have the mirror stalk, which I assume has motors to move in and out, plus the lights, still has a pretty significant aerodynamic impact, and can still get broken off. The honda implementation, or maybe a multiple camera merged image would seem to have fewer failure modes.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Mirrors are not a legal requirement so just leave them off so simple.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elephanthead posted:

I see people driving with folded in mirrors already. Don't see why not.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Elephanthead posted:

In California they are.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Elephanthead posted:

Citation needed.

Edit: You know what, nevermind. The fed requires passenger vehicles have an interior rearview mirror that meets certain field of view requirements as well as a driver's side exterior mirror. Passenger's side exterior mirror is required if the interior mirror doesn't cover a sufficient field of view.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

I think most of the external cameras for mirrors look really bad. The honda one is ok though. Based on my experience using the rearview camera on the bolt though the camera is completely useless when even a few drops of water get on it. so now you need to add a way to clean the camera, adding more complexity.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Even if side mirrors weren't mandatory, I wouldn't want to own a car without them.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Ola posted:

Even if side mirrors weren't mandatory, I wouldn't want to own a car without them.

It varies by country, in the UK you need a driver side mirror (or 'indirect vision device' known by normal people as a camera) and at least one other (rear or offside). Fairly big fines if you don't have visibility.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I think the Polestar 2 strikes a good balance. They have frameless mirrors which they claim reduce the drag from normal mirrors a decent amount.

Genderfluent posted:

I think most of the external cameras for mirrors look really bad. The honda one is ok though. Based on my experience using the rearview camera on the bolt though the camera is completely useless when even a few drops of water get on it. so now you need to add a way to clean the camera, adding more complexity.

Does your Bolt have the rear view camera washer? I've seen it on reviews but no idea how well it works.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Elephanthead posted:

What country do you live in?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Camera instead of mirrors suck but it's probably a step towards the AI Driver Full Autonomy poo poo that's gonna happen any day now.

Maybe they'd be useful if they could overlay some AR poo poo when you lane change or something.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I prefer having mirror stalks as long as they have an extra blinker to give a little more info to other drivers.

Even if they never see them.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Why does Iams think I want to see this dogs pendulous nutbag swinging all over the screen for 90 seconds straight why don’t they just have lady dogs make every dog commercial

e: sorry wrong thread

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Westy543 posted:

I think the Polestar 2 strikes a good balance. They have frameless mirrors which they claim reduce the drag from normal mirrors a decent amount.

Does your Bolt have the rear view camera washer? I've seen it on reviews but no idea how well it works.

It works well, but it doesn't stop the main issue, which is that when it rains drops collect on the camera. So in practice you are washing the camera every couple minutes even though the washer works. It's an enormous pain. Maybe if there was a wiper system it would be better.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

bird with big dick posted:

Why does Iams think I want to see this dogs pendulous nutbag swinging all over the screen for 90 seconds straight why don’t they just have lady dogs make every dog commercial

Underballs are a legal requirement.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Major Ryan posted:

Honda's approach looks much better.

Really now, I thought that was the whole entire point of switching mirrors for cameras. You'd think it wouldn't be that hard to set up the camera and lens to match (or even exceed) the field of view of a traditional mirror while keeping it close to the body.

Hexigrammus posted:

Backup cameras have been common for some time now, and I've yet to hear of anyone complaining about water intrusion.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The honda's camera is still hideous.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

What was the right thread?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Godholio posted:

What was the right thread?

I want you to know I read this post immediately after your response to someone asking about 360⁰ cameras in mining trucks, where you talk about military procurement of glass cockpits for P-3s aaaaaand B-52s.

Not really relevant to dog testicles, nor do I think ill of it, just a funny bit of browsing history.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Finger Prince posted:

I was behind a Lexus ES300 hybrid today, and it had these awful camera dildos stuck where the side mirrors usually would be, and my sister brought up an interesting point. Would the energy savings of the slightly better aerodynamics of the camera dildos outweigh the energy required to run the cameras and screens all the time? Is there a speed at which the the aerodynamic benefits do eclipse the energy requirements of the camera dildo setup?

you've been cramming really interesting shapes into yourself

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wrong thread, sure, but how long with it be until a Cybertruck with truck nuts attached is spotted in the wild?

[Fake edit: brb opening Blender to make a CAD model for low-poly truck nuts that match the aesthetic]

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
You mean like this?
https://cybertrucknuts.net/

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Wait how did they model my nuts exactly. I'm sueing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Was your dad Max Headroom?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Tesla now trading at $420. Lol

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

quote:

This is designed for a real tough man with solid balls.

:allears:

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

ilkhan posted:

Tesla now trading at $420. Lol

Merry Christmas to Elon I suppose. He finally got his $420 stock price dream.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1209142364473843713?s=19

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ah drat it, I'll never be quick enough on the draw to have a successful swindle Kickstarter

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Cockmaster posted:

Backup cameras have been common for some time now, and I've yet to hear of anyone complaining about water intrusion.
It's not water intrusion, it's water occlusion.

A drop gets on the camera and the back up display turns into a fisheye video but just for half of the screen

priznat
Jul 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

CannonFodder posted:

It's not water intrusion, it's water occlusion.

A drop gets on the camera and the back up display turns into a fisheye video but just for half of the screen

I think Ford has some system where the camera shakes off water droplets which sounds kind of cool. Wish my kia had that sometimes.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

VW and Mercedes have the best solution in my opinion, the badge on the rear hatch serves as both hatch button and camera shield. It flips up when you put the car in reverse.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Two things:

1: is it, in fact, the wrong thread?
2: bless you, dear goon, for leaving the post up instead of deleting it

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

priznat posted:

I think Ford has some system where the camera shakes off water droplets which sounds kind of cool. Wish my kia had that sometimes.
:same:

Ola posted:

VW and Mercedes have the best solution in my opinion, the badge on the rear hatch serves as both hatch button and camera shield. It flips up when you put the car in reverse.
See this would mess me up because I use the KIA badge as a target for where my hand goes to push down the hatch.

Wait, where's the camera on a KIA Niro? I thought it was under the spoiler.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Finger Prince posted:

I was behind a Lexus ES300 hybrid today, and it had these awful camera dildos stuck where the side mirrors usually would be, and my sister brought up an interesting point. Would the energy savings of the slightly better aerodynamics of the camera dildos outweigh the energy required to run the cameras and screens all the time? Is there a speed at which the the aerodynamic benefits do eclipse the energy requirements of the camera dildo setup?

That definitely could have been make a ton sleeker. That is just low-effort.

That's amazing and hilarious.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Ola posted:

I’ve owned enough German cars to immediately have my alarm bells tingling over that one :haw:

Regarding cameras I think I am unable to park in cars without all around views now :negative: (not really but it would actually take effort now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Just put a fisheye inside the glass and make the side windows a slightly different shape.

PBY Catalina.