Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
A standing rib roast is a good option that is still somewhat Christmasy. If Florida is going to be stupid warm like Texas is (forecast of 72 on Christmas :flip:), pretend it's spring and do a leg of lamb on the grill.

If I had a blank slate to start my own Christmas tradition, it would be carnitas. Just a huge pile of crispy yet chewy pork, with tortillas, lime wedges, onions, and tomatillo salsa on the side, with people free to pig out or graze or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Christmas eve is pork ragu on gnocchi in my house!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BrianBoitano posted:

I’m on my way

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I just did a crockpot of mulled cider for a party, and it was a huge hit! People loved it, and it was pretty easy.

1 Gallon cider
1 whole orange, sliced thin
6-8 allspice berries
3-4 cinnamon sticks

Heat it up until just before boiling and serve. The crockpot kept it warm, and made it easy to dispense

BrianBoitano posted:

Can I come?

poo poo, BEATEN.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

I just did a crockpot of mulled cider for a party, and it was a huge hit! People loved it, and it was pretty easy.

1 Gallon cider
1 whole orange, sliced thin
6-8 allspice berries
3-4 cinnamon sticks

Heat it up until just before boiling and serve. The crockpot kept it warm, and made it easy to dispense

Can I come?

poo poo, BEATEN.

A cousin of mine just asked for a mulled wine recipe. I listed the ingredients. The instructions were then to throw them out and drink the wine. I think my view of mulled wine is clear.

For Xmas dinner we are having the usual: roast Christian baby. Delicious!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I just did mulled wine with a glugwein mix, and put some mix into a hot cider too. This led to a discovery that 1/3 cider 2/3 wine works really great!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Pollyanna posted:

What are people making for Christmas lunch/dinner? My family's looking for recommendations and I wanted to recommend something that wasn't just a bird or ham. We'll be in Florida, so grilling is an option.

Standing rib roast, yorkshire pudding, gravy, brussel sprouts, roasted tomatoes, charlotte russe for dessert.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

therattle posted:

A cousin of mine just asked for a mulled wine recipe. I listed the ingredients. The instructions were then to throw them out and drink the wine. I think my view of mulled wine is clear.

Mulled cider is far superior to mulled wine.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tarbrush posted:

Mulled cider is far superior to mulled wine.

I don’t like cider at the best of times but I can kind of see how that would work and be the case.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
We're doing prime rib, Yorkshire pudding, carrots, assorted pies.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Prime rib, popovers and roasted brussels sprouts are planned. For dessert I think we're gonna do homemade hot cocoa and sticky toffee pudding with a bourbon sauce.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 22, 2019

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

gram makes a standing rib roast for christmas every year. I usually do asparagus and hollandaise. Pepperoni kolachi for appetizers and homemade egg nog for dessert

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am splitting the meal up so we have what would normally be starters as our lunch, then the main course as dinner... It means the kids are actually hungry enough to join in!

We’re having potted shrimp, smoked mackerel pâté and mushroom pâté for lunch, with meats, olives and antipasti. Dinner will be fillet, Yorkshire puddings, pigs in blankets, roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots, broccoli.

Followed by homemade Christmas pudding and custard.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Smoked turkey breast, fried fish, pierogies filled with ricotta or sauerkraut, barszcz, golabki, kluski, mushroom soup, rye and Caraway bread.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

I don’t like cider at the best of times but I can kind of see how that would work and be the case.

In case you are being like, extra British, we mean fresh pressed cider: no fermentation, so no booze, no carbonation.

When I used to go cross-country skiing with my family, my mom used to bring a thermos of hot mulled cider. It's kind of amazing when you are cold in the woods.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

In case you are being like, extra British, we mean fresh pressed cider: no fermentation, so no booze, no carbonation.

When I used to go cross-country skiing with my family, my mom used to bring a thermos of hot mulled cider. It's kind of amazing when you are cold in the woods.

But mulled British (aka alcoholic) cider is also pretty great!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Extra British. I am 100% talking about cider cider, which is alcoholic and not generally fizzy.

Also fortified with apple brandy or similar.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^^ Heh? The cider I had at bars in the UK and Ireland were all lightly carbonated.

Croatoan posted:

Prime rib, popovers and roasted brussels sprouts are planned. For dessert I think we're gonna do homemade hot cocoa and sticky toffee pudding with a bourbon sauce.

I've never seen the appeal of popovers.... seems like a waste of eggs to me.

"sticky toffee pudding with a bourbon sauce" sounds absolutely amazing, though.

Scientastic posted:

I am splitting the meal up so we have what would normally be starters as our lunch, then the main course as dinner... It means the kids are actually hungry enough to join in!

This is smart!

That Works posted:

Smoked turkey breast, fried fish, pierogies filled with ricotta or sauerkraut, barszcz, golabki, kluski, mushroom soup, rye and Caraway bread.

This is the most polish thing ever, and I love it. Tell me more about the fish.

The girlfriend is polish, and she's been slowing making some of her grandmother's recipes. Delicious! I loves me some kraut.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 22, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Squashy Nipples posted:

This is the most polish thing ever, and I love it. Tell me more about the fish.

The girlfriend is polish, and she's been slowing making some of her grandmother's recipes. Delicious! I loves me some kraut.

Wife's family is Polish.

The fish is pretty boring really. MIL has celiac so I just dredge cod chunks in a mix of eggs, yellow mustard and lemon juice, let that marinade for an hour then roll in cornmeal that's got salt and pepper tossed in.

That all gets deep fried in peanut oil and I put a little more salt and lemon juice on to finish.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Squashy Nipples posted:

^^^ Heh? The cider I had at bars in the UK and Ireland were all lightly carbonated.

Most bars serve the cider equivalent of bud or coors or what have you. Fine, but suffers a bit from mass production. It’s also a bit too sweet and fizzy to make good mulled cider. Get anything a bit more local and it’ll be flatter and less sweet.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

That Works posted:

Wife's family is Polish.

The fish is pretty boring really. MIL has celiac so I just dredge cod chunks in a mix of eggs, yellow mustard and lemon juice, let that marinade for an hour then roll in cornmeal that's got salt and pepper tossed in.

That all gets deep fried in peanut oil and I put a little more salt and lemon juice on to finish.

We always have a Polish Christmas but this year most of the family will be away so we delayed it until the 29th when we're all together again. Yours is way more ambitious. We're having golabki, a few different kinds of pierogies and a babka of some sort. Probaby chocolate because everyone likes it. My wife isn't a big fan of fruit kolache so I'm trying to think of a way to modify them with some other filling and I'm at a loss.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've never seen the appeal of popovers.... seems like a waste of eggs to me.

"sticky toffee pudding with a bourbon sauce" sounds absolutely amazing, though.

Fun fact! Popovers are almost the same exact thing as Yorkshire pudding it just uses butter instead of renderings. They're just to soak up the juices of the prime rib and they're great for that

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 23, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Croatoan posted:

We always have a Polish Christmas but this year most of the family will be away so we delayed it until the 29th when we're all together again. Yours is way more ambitious. We're having golabki, a few different kinds of pierogies and a babka of some sort. Probaby chocolate because everyone likes it. My wife isn't a big fan of fruit kolache so I'm trying to think of a way to modify them with some other filling and I'm at a loss.

Fun fact! Popovers are almost the same exact thing as Yorkshire pudding it just uses butter instead of renderings. They're just to soak up the juices of the prime rib and they're great for that

Mines not as bad as it sounds since a couple different family members pitch in on it every year at least.

I need to make some babka though.

Kolaches filled with pastry cream could work. Or savory kolaches are awesome. In Texas the czech immigrants make jalapeno sausage and egg stuffed ones that are amazing for example.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

That Works posted:

Kolaches filled with pastry cream could work. Or savory kolaches are awesome. In Texas the czech immigrants make jalapeno sausage and egg stuffed ones that are amazing for example.

Yeah you can find them around me for breakfast but I want the cookie kind not the pigs in a blanket kind. The wife loved the idea of creme pat so I think you nailed it, thanks!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Croatoan posted:

sticky toffee pudding with a bourbon sauce.

I was trying to figure out what to bring to my parents' and I think you just solved it. Do you go for a sweeter bourbon or something like Wild Turkey with some rye spice?

or I could just make piña coladas because it's basically going to be a pleasant late spring day according to the forecast :catstare:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It's just ATK's recipe. It's pretty good.

Bourbon Sauce

Makes about 1 cup

1½ teaspoons cornstarch
¼ cup bourbon
¾ cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar
Pinch salt

2 teaspoons unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces

Whisk cornstarch and 2 tablespoons bourbon in small bowl until well-combined. Heat cream and sugar in small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until sauce thickens, 3 to 5 minutes. Off heat, stir in salt, butter, and remaining 2 tablespoons bourbon. Drizzle warm sauce over individual servings. (Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.)

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Croatoan posted:

Yeah you can find them around me for breakfast but I want the cookie kind not the pigs in a blanket kind. The wife loved the idea of creme pat so I think you nailed it, thanks!

Pecan pie- style filling could work too if she's into that

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm working 10:30-7:30 on Xmas, and then coming home and heading to bed because I think I'm back in at 6am the next day. Patients gotta eat and I get triple pay.

Friday will be the uhh, fun-ish day. Or Saturday, one of those two days I'm planning to give my parents this letter and book and be like. "So uhh I'm not a guy, my name is Renee and like uhh. Hi."

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm working 10:30-7:30 on Xmas, and then coming home and heading to bed because I think I'm back in at 6am the next day. Patients gotta eat and I get triple pay.

Friday will be the uhh, fun-ish day. Or Saturday, one of those two days I'm planning to give my parents this letter and book and be like. "So uhh I'm not a guy, my name is Renee and like uhh. Hi."

Oh my gosh Renee is such a pretty name

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

What kind of cheese goes with mushroom marsala?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh my gosh Renee is such a pretty name

Thank you I picked it out myself. :kimchi:
But for real. The short version of the story. Our family is French & German by heritage and I always liked how that name sounded.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Renee is a super good name.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

We're doing prime rib, Yorkshire pudding, carrots, assorted pies.

Btw, this is for Christmas Eve at the in-law's. We're doing a much smaller Christmas Day dinner with just those who live in my house on the 25th, and it's gall going to be German stuff - spaetzle, rotkohl, etc. I just started the sauerbraten tonight.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I'm making duck breast with pineapple mostarda and hanger steak with bearnaise this year. My mom is making creamy rosemary potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts and sauteed spinach. I'm also doing the tropical egg nog we make at the restaurant I work at, which involves coconut cream and pineapple rum.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

That Works posted:

Wife's family is Polish.

I’m sure you’ve checked but mustard sometimes has flour in it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

That Works posted:

I wouldn't call that boring! I love fish, and its all in the cooking. Cod gets lost if you add too much flavor, so that sounds just about right.

I miss the New England cod, I really do, but I can live with haddock. I love haddock! Pretty much any prep, but there is a bar near my house that does a baked Haddock Newburg, that might be my favorite.

That Works posted:

Wife's family is Polish.

I've now eaten enough Polish food to have some opinions:

-Mass-market branded kielbasa from the supermarket is garbage. Find a polish deli/butcher, or move to Woonsocket, where they sell locally made stuff at the supermarket.

-Best perogies, by far, are filled with sauer kraut, its just the best taste and texture combination. I will die on this hill.

-Cabbage rolls are best when they are SMALL, like maybe 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter, bigger then rolled grape leaves. The ones from the Polish deli in Woonsocket are way too big, the size of big fat wet burritos. Perfectly cooked cabbage should be the star of the show, and if the rolls are too big, the filling-to-cabbage ratio is all wrong.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Croatoan posted:

Ahh, ok, that makes more sense. Last time I had them, my mom the Carb Queen just served them with butter as a side.

Croatoan posted:

It's just ATK's recipe. It's pretty good.

Bourbon Sauce

Makes about 1 cup

1½ teaspoons cornstarch
¼ cup bourbon
¾ cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar
Pinch salt

2 teaspoons unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces

Whisk cornstarch and 2 tablespoons bourbon in small bowl until well-combined. Heat cream and sugar in small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until sauce thickens, 3 to 5 minutes. Off heat, stir in salt, butter, and remaining 2 tablespoons bourbon. Drizzle warm sauce over individual servings. (Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.)

Ugghh, that sounds amazing. Going to have to try that.

How similar is this to the Hard Sauce that my gandmother used to buy for Christmas?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've now eaten enough Polish food to have some opinions:

-Mass-market branded kielbasa from the supermarket is garbage. Find a polish deli/butcher, or move to Woonsocket, where they sell locally made stuff at the supermarket.

-Best perogies, by far, are filled with sauer kraut, its just the best taste and texture combination. I will die on this hill.

-Cabbage rolls are best when they are SMALL, like maybe 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter, bigger then rolled grape leaves. The ones from the Polish deli in Woonsocket are way too big, the size of big fat wet burritos. Perfectly cooked cabbage should be the star of the show, and if the rolls are too big, the filling-to-cabbage ratio is all wrong.

You are correct about kielbasa I wish everyone had access to a bohemian butcher like I do.
The more variety you try you might like some other pierogis. My family's favorites are potatoes with cheese and crumbled bacon or another kind with mushrooms and feta.
That sounds ok for cabbage rolls but they're not golabkis. That's all.

Edit: sorry I misread and thought you were using literal grape leaves. So I guess those are golabkis, but really small. I like more filling. If you go to the holiday cooking thread my recipe for golabkis is on the first page if you want to get your gf to check it out. The tomato sauce really brings it all together and the kind you find at buffets never has it.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 23, 2019

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Can anyone guess what I'm making? Hint: not pasta!

Hint 2: I'm either 35% done or 0.78125% done, depending on your perspective.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

BrianBoitano posted:

Can anyone guess what I'm making? Hint: not pasta!

Hint 2: I'm either 35% done or 0.78125% done, depending on your perspective.

a mess?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Technically correct. But also something sweet.

86% done / 25% done by same metric!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass