Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Kin posted:

Do you think future generations, hundreds of years from now, are going to look back at this era in their holocubes in and wonder just what the gently caress were we doing?

We already are. Every day we see things like CATS (actually no nobody has ever seen anything like CATS) and Trump and we stare into our mirrors wondering what the gently caress we are doing.

We should take inspiration from CATS. It knows EXACTLY what it’s doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I think future generations are more likely to tell of our hubris in creating these abominations, as they hide in their caves from the faceroaches.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read somewhere that it looks like all the characters are floating off the ground about two inches like a bad video game is that true

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

theenglishman posted:

I tried looking for the infamous rendering error when I saw the movie tonight and couldn't find it. Does anyone know where it is?

https://twitter.com/jenelleriley/status/1208659588414758912

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Empress Brosephine posted:

I read somewhere that it looks like all the characters are floating off the ground about two inches like a bad video game is that true

:perfect: Someone who saw it please tell me this is real. Like it's a movie with a ton of dancing you'd think this particular thing would be important to do right.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/benmekler/status/1208285645673619456?s=21

Look at this no fun bitch.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Neo Rasa posted:

:perfect: Someone who saw it please tell me this is real. Like it's a movie with a ton of dancing you'd think this particular thing would be important to do right.

They spent all the money pasting human faces onto cat bodies, and even that's not quite finished. The pseudo-narrator cat's chin is extremely variable in a way reminiscent of Superman's upper lip in Justice League.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I don't know if this is entirely correct because one of the many things that made me fail my SAN rolls was that sometimes they have CGI cat hands but sometimes they have human hands and sometimes they have cat feet but sometimes they wear shoes.

This movie is like the videotape from The Ring except it gives you Toxoplasmosis. I need to inflict it on other people but I do not think it will be any where near as good outside of the theater.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
if u enter Cats with an open heart u will understand why people enjoyed the original musical -- aka powerful forbidden wisdoms

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Apocalypse Meow

Is pretty good.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

weekly font posted:

I don't know if this is entirely correct because one of the many things that made me fail my SAN rolls was that sometimes they have CGI cat hands but sometimes they have human hands and sometimes they have cat feet but sometimes they wear shoes.

This movie is like the videotape from The Ring except it gives you Toxoplasmosis. I need to inflict it on other people but I do not think it will be any where near as good outside of the theater.

lmfao

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

He's not wrong, there's a reason "it became an mst3k style riff fest" and "and then everyone started clapping" are still things people make fun of a decade later: because nobody who does this is ever as funny as they think they are and even if they were it still doesn't give you the right to be so self-absorbed that you would just ruin everyone else's experience because you yourself don't like it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Neo Rasa posted:

Honeslty I didn't notice that nor did I even notice Judi Dench's very human hand because the entire frame is drenched with nightmarish distractions that make you uncomfortable at a sustained rate that never dips throughout its entire running time.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Nice post/AV combo.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Saw this last night, read the terrible reviews and thought it would be good for a laugh.

I was worried that I would seem like a jerk giggling at the film and ruining it for more sincere theatre-goers but I need not have worried as there were literally six people in our showing on a Saturday at 7pm. Amazing

That said, the movie is simply dreadful but not really fun/bad enough to be a classic good-bad movie. At first it's really funny and shocking to see the bad CGI cat effects, but after a while it simply burns out whatever brain wrinkle processes that and I sort of stopped noticing, with the occassional moment of clarity that I'm witnessing something loving weird. I really only cracked up at the very last shot of the film, as we see a clinically-framed shot of the by-then forgotten "chosen cat" drifting off silently to her presumed death on a hot air balloon constructed entirely by cats

Mostly I was bored. This movie has so, so many long close-ups of singing faces and it's just so loving lazy and misguided... Surely the charm of CATS should be people doing cat-like dancing? Why the gently caress would we want to see someone's mostly human face while they sing and stare in the distance for 7 minutes? Why even bother making the film?

Another mystery is that the film seemed very chaste to me compared to the reviews I read, but my wife said that it was weirdly sexualized. I think maybe the film is cursed and we all see our own personal version of CATS

Poor, poor Idris Elba

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Sleeveless posted:

He's not wrong, there's a reason "it became an mst3k style riff fest" and "and then everyone started clapping" are still things people make fun of a decade later: because nobody who does this is ever as funny as they think they are and even if they were it still doesn't give you the right to be so self-absorbed that you would just ruin everyone else's experience because you yourself don't like it.

Nobody is doing this and no theater has more than 2 people in it to begin with.

People keep saying this movie is boring and maybe I was too deep in the fear, but when this ended I thought only about an hour had gone by.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1208783787863289857?s=21

Only made 6.5 mil baby

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Strong word of mouth will save it.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Any word on what it's budget was?

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

Bitch spotted

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

lofi posted:

Any word on what it's budget was?

Official reports are $100 mil ish, but I really doubt that’s as low as they went

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
You know, watching this movie really made me remember and think of Moulin Rouge. Both are completely without a sense of irony, and fully committed to the silliness that is inherent to a movie-musical.

Moulin Rouge though, it fully committed and it has this frenetic high-energy weirdness and editing that really works and makes it fun, whereas Cats really played it too safe and serious given its loving bonkers fur-effects. If you're gonna use that, why not make the movie really fun??? What the gently caress????

I think I'm getting delayed-onset Cats-brain

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I recommend a course of worming tablets and a flea collar.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Old Story posted:

You know, watching this movie really made me remember and think of Moulin Rouge. Both are completely without a sense of irony, and fully committed to the silliness that is inherent to a movie-musical.

Moulin Rouge though, it fully committed and it has this frenetic high-energy weirdness and editing that really works and makes it fun, whereas Cats really played it too safe and serious given its loving bonkers fur-effects. If you're gonna use that, why not make the movie really fun??? What the gently caress????

I think I'm getting delayed-onset Cats-brain

Yes! I sold it to a friend as moulin rouge meets showgirls meets cronenberg

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Old Story posted:

If you're gonna use that, why not make the movie really fun???

Because Tom Hooper is a bad director.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1208550084151042049?s=20

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The reason the super-closeups of Anne Hathaway's spit and snot works in Les Mis is because it's a deeply personal song of utterly human anguish performed with great honesty.

This thing is about abominations that fill your entire suite of senses like being pinned to the bed by that goblin in the painting The Nightmare. But he's singing at you.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Imagine if there was a scene in this movie where you saw a human and they were just an enormous furless and fleshy cat with the ears of a person instead

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

loving pissed that I didn't go see the broken version in time. Apparently the FX fixes already went out to theatres. ☹️

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What's weird is that it's so obvious that to do this film like a sane director, you'd have establishing shots showing what the cats look like--and they're cats--and that the cat-people cats are metaphors and stand-ins for the cat-cats. This makes the movie make more sense and fixes so many logistical problems they ran up against. I cannot conceive of why this didn't happen.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Cocaine.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pick posted:

What's weird is that it's so obvious that to do this film like a sane director, you'd have establishing shots showing what the cats look like--and they're cats--and that the cat-people cats are metaphors and stand-ins for the cat-cats. This makes the movie make more sense and fixes so many logistical problems they ran up against. I cannot conceive of why this didn't happen.

Disgusting Coward posted:

Because Tom Hooper is a bad director.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I don't think it's entirely Tom Hooper. The original show is a bizarrely paced non-narrative where the gimmick is each cat has a unique song introducing themselves and their quirk. Every character does their song, then the musical abruptly ends. It's bad, and was even divisive among critics back then.

It was a theatre spectacle though, on a scale that hadn't been done before. There's nothing about Cats that could possibly make for a watchable movie in 2019. It's entirely unnecessary and there's no good movie you could make out of it unless you completely started over with the source material and kept maybe three songs.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

smoobles posted:

I don't think it's entirely Tom Hooper. The original show is a bizarrely paced non-narrative where the gimmick is each cat has a unique song introducing themselves and their quirk. Every character does their song, then the musical abruptly ends. It's bad, and was even divisive among critics back then.

That's a nice way of putting it because most critics to this day hate Cats, it's just that people voted with their pocketbooks.

Don't forget the literal source of this joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVXJmfd3cmg

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I still wonder what like, Baz Luhrmann or Julie Taymor woulda done with this material.

Of course, Andrew Lloyd Webber probably had a lot of oversight so he would have been likely to nix anything too interesting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

smoobles posted:

It was a theatre spectacle though, on a scale that hadn't been done before. There's nothing about Cats that could possibly make for a watchable movie in 2019. It's entirely unnecessary and there's no good movie you could make out of it unless you completely started over with the source material and kept maybe three songs.

Tom Hooper should have never been given a musical project again after the botch job that was Les Miserables.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Tom Hooper is not entirely to blame for Hastur working through him.

But seriously this isn’t incompetent. It’s insane and weird and experimental (yeah the editing is poo poo but bohemian rhapsody won best editing last year hail Satan) but effort went into this. It’s catshit crazy in the best way and I’m giving hooper some points for that.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I went and saw this last night with the Mrs, both of us thinking this would be a perfect :420: :catdrugs: :420: experience.

As soon as I heard the first notes forced out of a misconfigured 16-bit Sound Blaster I knew I'd made a mistake. Now I feel like I just got indoctrinated into a cult and I can't look my cats in the eye without feeling shame.

How long of a recovery time am I looking at? I need to get back on with my life but I can't because CATS

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

TremorX posted:

I went and saw this last night with the Mrs, both of us thinking this would be a perfect :420: :catdrugs: :420: experience.

As soon as I heard the first notes forced out of a misconfigured 16-bit Sound Blaster I knew I'd made a mistake. Now I feel like I just got indoctrinated into a cult and I can't look my cats in the eye without feeling shame.

How long of a recovery time am I looking at? I need to get back on with my life but I can't because CATS

I haven’t been able to think anything but this movie since I saw it. I’m still in shock. GIDDY and BEWILDERED shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
As someone that likes the original Cats, I see no need for this movie. You could point a couple of cameras at a Broadway production and end up with a superior product for less than $100m. Tom Hooper or whoever wrote the additions is no T.S. Elliot, the celebrity cast doesn’t sing or dance as well as Broadway performers (except Francesca Hayward, but I doubt much of the budget went to the ballet dancer), and the CGI is less interesting than the costumes a theater department can put together.