Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

I skipped Snyder’s entire run because I knew nothing could compare to how I felt about Morrison’s run.

Was thinking about checking out Tynion’s Batman, but that Joker teaser didn’t do anything for me. Of course, I’ll be checking out Batman/Catwoman to see what they do with the Phantasm.

Snyder's Batman is extremely comic books. The depth isn't as much as Morrison's, but the weird Batman poo poo is very much like Morrison's. Tynion, if it's anything like he current run on Tec, is a bit more grounded. Less over the top stuff, but still a decent Batman read. No peaks, but no nadirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Snyder's first two arcs are solid. Death of the Family was a good enough horror story but Snyder clearly has a huge boner for Joker and a lot of Joker's worst ticks are in that arc.
Year Zero is his most comic books and it is awesome for it and probably the best of his Batman run. Endgame was fun but again Snyder leans into hyper competent super amazing Joker and it is quite meh to be honest. The ending was probably the best of it.
Superheavy was the experimental James Gordon as Batman arc (I think) and it had some okay ideas but didn't really go anywhere. I think they did the arc just to see if DC would say no.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Xelkelvos posted:

Snyder's Batman is extremely comic books. The depth isn't as much as Morrison's, but the weird Batman poo poo is very much like Morrison's. Tynion, if it's anything like he current run on Tec, is a bit more grounded. Less over the top stuff, but still a decent Batman read. No peaks, but no nadirs.

Tec was a solid secondary Batman book. Reminded me of Green Lantern Corp while Johns was on Green Lantern.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I liked Tynion's Tec better than Snyder's Batman, and I think it was more consistent than King's too, even if I wouldn't say I necessarily enjoyed either one more than the other as a whole. Snyder's just didn't feel "fun" to me, which I know is super vague and unhelpful, so I'm not saying it's a bad run or anything, just not as good for me as either of the runs bookending it, or as the secondary book running alongside it. I get the impulse to leave Batman alone for a while after King's ending, so I probably won't be rushing to read Tynion's run on an issue by issue basis, but I do look forward to catching up on it at some point.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 21, 2019

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Madkal posted:

Superheavy was the experimental James Gordon as Batman arc (I think) and it had some okay ideas but didn't really go anywhere. I think they did the arc just to see if DC would say no.

The Detective Comics issues with Gordon were so much better. Seeing Robo-Batman actually help the police instead of just having half the issue be Bruce and the Joker hanging out. Mr Bloom was also totally forgettable.

Court of Owls and Snyder's Death of the Family and some of the best Bat books I have ever read, no question. Most of the Snyder run after that just doesn't hold up. While certainly perfectly serviceable, it is really obsessed with the things I dislike about modern batman. Snyder was so desperate to create a new Robin he tried it twice! The worst offender is using Batman's inhuman hypercompetence to cause two storylines to end with a twist that Batman has always known from the beginning, even though readers are treated like it is an actual mystery.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Snyder was so desperate to create a new Robin he tried it twice!

Is Bluebird one of the ones you're talking about? I thought Tynion made her. Eh, must be misremembering. I have tried to block all of Batman Eternal from my mind.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Is Bluebird one of the ones you're talking about? I thought Tynion made her. Eh, must be misremembering. I have tried to block all of Batman Eternal from my mind.

Yeah. Tynion is the one that put her in a costume, but that is definitely what Snyder intended. Duke Thomas was definitely done in a much better fashion, until the gave him a dreadful superhero name he was cast out of the Batman books.

The mini where they set him up as the daytime Batman of Gotham was a good idea but it was never touched on again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I assume the Duke stuff just didn't click with people and was dropped. Now we have Gotham Girl so we'll see if anyone else wants to use her

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I hope not. It'll kill'er

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Nah, Batman made a potion found a rock lying around to let her use her powers forever in the last issue, it's all good.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 21, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It wasn't even a potion. It was a nugget of platinum kryptonite

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Xelkelvos posted:

Tynion, if it's anything like he current run on Tec, is a bit more grounded. Less over the top stuff, but still a decent Batman read. No peaks, but no nadirs.

Tynion's peaks are anytime characters get a moment to breathe. I feel like Snyder and King have Bat on the verge of death every five minutes compared to Tynion, who let the Batfam play off of each other and learn and grow.

This feels like a good explanation for why I'm enjoying Hill's writing for Batman & The Outsiders so much right now. Put Bruce on the team's speed dial and otherwise let them do their own thing. I didn't mind Tynion making Bruce job to villains every so often just to give someone else a chance to shine. Hell, that's probably his SOP for "real world" training.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That's a kind way of putting it. It tends to ring true for Tynion's work on Justice League Dark as well. The threats he throws at our protags tend to be repetitive and overpowered, but there's a lot to like in how the characters respond to those threats.

Just...don't be taking a shot every time some villain shows ups saying that Batman's methods don't work or something, 'cuz boy is there not enough alcohol in the world.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tynion's Detective Comics was good. Only comic I've ever read that managed to make me like Azrael.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

Tynion's Detective Comics was good. Only comic I've ever read that managed to make me like Azrael.

I really dug the Bat-Team stuff. He also did really well with Cass.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
oh... oh.

https://twitter.com/uzionmain/status/1208808867209076739?s=21

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Shut up johns.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I really dug the Bat-Team stuff. He also did really well with Cass.

Yeah. Cass and Clayface were really good. It was a great treatment of Tim Drake, too, and even Anarky's whole deal was compelling. A lot of writers have tried to do "Batman, but a team book", but Tynion's Tec is the only run at that concept that's ever really clicked for me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man am I over Geoff Johns.

The only writer I want to see write a Superman vs Doctor Manhattan story is Chip Zdarsky.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I like how Johns genuinely believes that his dumb book about superheroes trying to punch Dr. Manhattan that ends with a literal advertisement for DC's future events is some rich thematic work.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

The only writer I want to see write a Superman vs Doctor Manhattan story is Chip Zdarsky.

It's funny to me how not long ago Chip was writing Howard the Duck and yet by this point I completely 100% agree with you

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah i still cant help but think of chip as the comedy man even though hes been doing serious books for like 2 years now

probably doesnt help that i see his twitter all the time and he sure isnt serious on that lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just found out (if wikipedia is to be trusted, I could see one of his friends changing it as a joke) that Chip Zdarsky is a pen name.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I just found out (if wikipedia is to be trusted, I could see one of his friends changing it as a joke) that Chip Zdarsky is a pen name.

Nah that's accurate

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the more shocking thing is that hes apparently 44

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
everyone knows his full name is Chippowai Zdarscream

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Box of Bunnies posted:

everyone knows his full name is Chippowai Zdarscream

Zdarscream is the name of the hybrid cloned from Robert Zdar and Chris Latta.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's actually Chipagar Zdarskyagon

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

He turned his Harvey Award back in right?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

It's actually Chipagar Zdarskyagon

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
You know I got the dumbest idea for an event for DC.

Everything seems normal. Then, things just are changing out of the blue. John is suddenly a kid again. Superman is it an older version of his costume. Batman and Catwoman are just inexplicably married. And so on and so forth with what fans have been demanding from DC.

However, also bad things are happening. Villains are turning into older incarnations. People good and bad are just coming back from the dead and others are just Vanishing.

Eventually, the heroes start to take notice that things are wrong. And people begin to notice the change and hate how their lives are just being altered. They find out it's being caused by an entity called The Empty hand, which was a Grant Morrison character design to represent the audience.

The characters begin to struggle against the empty hand which is convinced it is doing what is right for these characters. But in doing so it was taking away the free will, killing people they thought were pointless, bring people back who would accepted their death, reverting people in age, making other people older, playing God basically.

When the heroes finally beat the empty hand, the empty hand is temporarily dispersed and the story abruptly ends. And then the entire DC Comics line jumps forward 10 years because that's how long it was said it would take for the empty hand to regain its grasp on the universe and it's implied that not a lot of big things happened in that 10 years.

People got to actually move forward with their life. There were no big events. No apocalypses. There were still crime and occasional supervillainy, but things had died down for those ten years and people were allowed to take it easy. With it being implied that that was a result of the empty hand, the audience, not controlling the last 10 years.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/1209971636671328256?s=19

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The influence of Johns is potent at DC.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I loved Dark Knight Golden Child.

I wonder if Frank was clued on to Darkseid sitting being a thing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 27, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Oh wow, I had no idea that was a Rafael Grampa thing. That's a gorgeous page.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hm, “Anti-Life Equation” just doesn’t have the same rhythm as “Hakuna Matata”

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Endless Mike posted:

Hm, “Anti-Life Equation” just doesn’t have the same rhythm as “Hakuna Matata”
It means no worries for the rest of your PUNY EXISTENCE IS PLEDGED TO ME/
It a problem free SERVITUDE WITHOUT CHOICE, WITHOUT PAIN, WITHOUT RELEASE, WITHOUT END/

DARKSEID IS!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Archyduchess posted:

Oh wow, I had no idea that was a Rafael Grampa thing. That's a gorgeous page.

And this Grampa Darksied page kinda puts that one to shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
What comes first, the New 52 Batman or the New 52 Batman and Robin?