Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
it would have been cool if Lando asked Jannah about her mom and when she says the name lando sprints to the falcon and flies away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Can't believe they turned Lando into a Biden stand in.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Oscar Isaac's energetic "NOPE!" to being asked if he wants to play Poe again is the best thing.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Samara posted:

Star Wars is the ultimate Abusive Relationship. All of us have moments we love about it and things that we despise and hurt us over and over.

Yet we keep coming back. I wonder why that is

H O P E

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Well, now that star wars is over with, what are we going to post about next

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

moist turtleneck posted:

it would have been cool if Lando asked Jannah about her mom and when she says the name lando sprints to the falcon and flies away

I totally thought that they were alluding to her being Lando's daughter. The implication being that he asks every 20/30-something woman he meets where they're from because he has literally sired thousands of children.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

So i know a lot of people dislike Padme and Anakin together BUT you got to admit Lucas didn’t try to redo Han and Leia dynamic all over again he was doing parallels not remake like some people

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

a.lo posted:

So i know a lot of people dislike Padme and Anakin together BUT you got to admit Lucas didn’t try to redo Han and Leia dynamic all over again he was doing parallels not remake like some people

source your quotes

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

surf rock posted:

I totally thought that they were alluding to her being Lando's daughter. The implication being that he asks every 20/30-something woman he meets where they're from because he has literally sired thousands of children.

The leaks said that she was. The leaks are intriguing to read because they were entirely accurate and allow one to see what changed in late edits and stuff.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

So, that "ancestor's festival" or whatever that they found themselves at in their search for the knife is only held once every 42 years, right?

Was odd to name that given that this movie came out 42 years after ANH. Are they trying to make some kind of commentary here or was it just lulz 42 stuff?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
I appreciate that Rey the Star Wars fan got to use her Convention-exclusive Sith Dagger toy with the Death Star Ruins Playset.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like how Star Wars often pokes fun at the arrogance of evil e.g. the lovely general in Empire jumping too soon and basically the entirety of Last Jedi, but Palpatine thinking his lightning trick would work a third time is a Darwin award winning action.

Bonus points on digging a lightning tunnel so you could knock the grandson of your apprentice into it. You know, don't bother using a lightsaber or force choke or maybe dropping an expendable stardestroyer into your gaping death eater arena.

Horizon Burning posted:

I appreciate that Rey the Star Wars fan got to use her Convention-exclusive Sith Dagger toy with the Death Star Ruins Playset.

It's a good thing the geography didn't change after many decades, real good of the death star 2 not to do that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You also have to stand in that exact spot for it to work.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Another thing that confused me about the wayfinder was that Ren destroyed the Emperor's so that Rey would be forced to travel with him. So why was she surprised to learn that he had another one later? Wasn't that explicitly established?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The dagger was the only part I didn’t really get however I have no dagger / sextant experience and trusted the film.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Martman posted:

So, that "ancestor's festival" or whatever that they found themselves at in their search for the knife is only held once every 42 years, right?

Was odd to name that given that this movie came out 42 years after ANH. Are they trying to make some kind of commentary here or was it just lulz 42 stuff?

It's an easter egg.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's an easter egg.

Ashley Eckstein being one of the voices in the end is an easter egg. A festival that occurs every 42 years is getting egged in the face on top of confusing your nerd fanbase because it's an important number in another sci-fi franchise.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, it's an easter egg.

e: it's just coincidence that it's the number 42

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 22, 2019

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So Rey's grandfather is Kylo's great grandfather. Kind of makes that kiss awkward.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Looking at summaries of the Mandalorian episodes, it seems like the main character is mostly babysitting baby Yoda around the Galaxy saving it from one bad scenario after another every episode. This is kind of funny given it's supposed to be "gritty".

It seems to me like the Baby Yoda is a cynical gimmick for kids, and then in true Jar Jar Binks fashion they make the gimmick a centerpiece.

Have people here seen the show? Do they like it?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
You know how sometime actors in one movie will reteam to do a very different movie? Like Nicolas Cage and Eve Mendes were together in Ghost Rider and Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans?? Or John Cusack and John Malkovich in Con Air and Being John Malkovich? I kind of want to see Boyega, Ridley, Isaac and Driver maybe do some version of Othello or a screwball comedy version of Sense and Sensibility. Maybe get Tommy Wiseau to direct it.

Ooooh, there you go. A Star Wars movie written and directed by Tommy Wiseau.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Spacebump posted:

So Rey's grandfather is Kylo's great grandfather. Kind of makes that kiss awkward.

Palpatine’s not actually Anakin’s dad though, right?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone posted:

Ooooh, there you go. A Star Wars movie written and directed by Tommy Wiseau.

The Broom

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

At least Kylo got to see Finn’s cute new hairstyle, before his dumbass died.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Baby Yoda is precious and vulnerable and the Mando is his gruff and stoic father having Samurai Jack episodic adventures and I really love it

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Looking at summaries of the Mandalorian episodes, it seems like the main character is mostly babysitting baby Yoda around the Galaxy saving it from one bad scenario after another every episode. This is kind of funny given it's supposed to be "gritty".

It seems to me like the Baby Yoda is a cynical gimmick for kids, and then in true Jar Jar Binks fashion they make the gimmick a centerpiece.

It's much better than it sounds, although some of the episodes and acting from the secondary cast is weak. The show overall is solidly entertaining and a much better product than like 90% of Star Wars stuff.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

TheKingofSprings posted:

Palpatine’s not actually Anakin’s dad though, right?

He is as of a year ago.
https://dorksideoftheforce.com/2018/12/20/star-wars-comic-anakin-father/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Combat Theory posted:

Plot twist: Reylo had telepathic force impregnation and the child is the emperor of mankind from 40K.

Soon JJs touch will come to a third franchise.

i unironically assumed that was exactly what happened as the hook for the next set of movies as soon as i watched it happen. not that itll literally be the emperor but that ben impregnated her via the force. dear god i hope im wrong, but seems exactly the sort of bullshit disney would pull

unrelated but since people keep asking about it the mandalorian is really good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well I just saw it . A lot a lot better than I expected. only some minor nitpicks but I was moved by the main story and really liked the craft and effort put into the movie. The Endor sequence in particular was very effective

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

That show is awesome as hell. I say that with zero irony, because it's really godamn good.

Also, on all the wayfinder stuff on this page, that knife was one stupendously stupid plot device. It's such a contrivance that I very nearly audibly groaned in the theater, but didn't want to mess up anyone's viewing experience. Even in the moment I couldn't really justify the notion of its existence in my mind. So someone who spoke/understood "sith," showed up, with very specific knowledge of this hidden object in the Emperor's throne room, made that knife with teeth similar to a key, and with no worries about all that wreckage settling in the ocean floor, rusting away, etc... Not sure if that whole element was more lazy, or dumb. Unless that OG dude, or whatever his name was, made it? But even still, metal in all its forms tends to rust and decay over time.

Also, I've read a lot of the new extended canon, but but has it been established anywhere that the Sith had a specific language, alphabet and so forth?

I thought it was weird the Senate would have specifically outlawed translation of that language, but then I remembered that Sheev's whole ruse in the PT didn't work if anyone thought the Sith "were back" or an actual threat. So keeping anyone from learning about them or their ways made sense.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 22, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Doronin posted:

That show is awesome as hell. I say that with zero irony, because it's really godamn good.

Also, on all the wayfinder stuff on this page, that knife was one stupendously stupid plot device. It's such a contrivance that I very nearly audibly groaned in the theater, but didn't want to mess up anyone's viewing experience. Even in the moment I couldn't really justify the notion of its existence in my mind. So someone who spoke/understood "sith," showed up, with very specific knowledge of this hidden object in the Emperor's throne room, made that knife with teeth similar to a key, and with no worries about all that wreckage settling in the ocean floor, rusting away, etc... Not sure if that whole element was more lazy, or dumb. Unless that OG dude, or whatever his name was, made it? But even still, metal in all its forms tends to rust and decay over time.

Also, I've read a lot of the new extended canon, but but has it been established anywhere that the Sith had a specific language, alphabet and so forth?

I thought it was weird the Senate would have specifically outlawed translation of that language, but then I remembered that Sheev's whole ruse in the PT didn't work if anyone thought the Sith "were back" or an actual threat. So keeping anyone from learning about them or their ways made sense.

if you go way way back to TOR-era stuff it's established that the 'sith' were originally just like, a species of alien from a specific planet who were good at force stuff. so that's probably what is meant when it's talked about the sith having their own language

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Mandalorian is Lone Wolf and Cub guest starring Jon Favreau's friends. It's a spaghetti western that has fun exploring Star Wars' ancillary hooks which ironically makes it feel larger than any of the movies or major properties.

Also in what feels like a massive oversight the last episode of Mandalorian features baby yoda healing a badguy which causes him to switch sides. They maybe should've pushed that episode back a week, idk, but when Rey heals Kylo it didn't have the impact it should have because a day ago I saw a CGI Funkopop creature do the exact same thing to Carl Motherfucking Weathers.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Brother Entropy posted:

if you go way way back to TOR-era stuff it's established that the 'sith' were originally just like, a species of alien from a specific planet who were good at force stuff. so that's probably what is meant when it's talked about the sith having their own language

Ah, I very vaguely remember something about that. I guess that's another clue that eventually Disney/Lucasfilm is going to really dive in on TOR at some point. But the Sith species, so to speak, TROS would have been the first "canon" mention, I think, right?

The comics are the only thing I haven't read a lot of, so this could have been fleshed out there possibly.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Doronin posted:

Ah, I very vaguely remember something about that. I guess that's another clue that eventually Disney/Lucasfilm is going to really dive in on TOR at some point. But the Sith species, so to speak, TROS would have been the first "canon" mention, I think, right?

The comics are the only thing I haven't read a lot of, so this could have been fleshed out there possibly.

The Revenge of the Sith. Unless you're talking about the actual species https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sith_(species) then, no, they've never been mentioned in the movies.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

a.lo posted:

At least Kylo got to see Finn’s cute new hairstyle, before his dumbass died.

I loved the timing of it - right after kissing Rey. It's not that healing Rey strained him. It's that his creepy, incel body couldn't handle the overstimulation of being willingly kissed by a real female girl.

I also figure that Palpatine conceived the idea of the planet-killer Star Destroyers after Rey's mom/dad (whichever one was P's kid) was conceived.

"My Star Destroyer need to be more powerful, more virile. I know, we'll put dicks on them. Big, planet-killing dicks. Every thing is improved with dicks. Dicks are awesome."

Everyone fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 23, 2019

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Horizon Burning posted:

Oscar Isaac's energetic "NOPE!" to being asked if he wants to play Poe again is the best thing.

He didn't really get to do a lot this movie.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

surf rock posted:

She asks him first. He answers and then said “what about you, kid?”

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Panzeh posted:

Poe's sidelining after his entire arc of learning how to be a true leader is second in character betrayals, the first being Rose who got fewer lines than unicycle-droid.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Once the blu ray is out and people can easily fool with it in Premiere, I really want to see a supercut of leia talking in reverse angle to the bruce lee cardboard cutouts in Game of Death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Panzeh posted:

any of the movies, really