Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

You can still have dots in the second dimension. Checkmate, alienailures.

A 2d dot is a circle

2D checkmate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

enjoying all the FLIR info. Very cool, thanks.

If it was a misidentified aircraft, like a su-27, are there any other radar confirmations from other sites? Surely they'd be other radar pings that could easily say its an aircraft?

What was with one of the pilots saying it came out of the water? Wasn't there a pilot quoted saying they've been seeing this things for months?

Is it a naval chinese thing?

Its very sexy and juicy thing to think about

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kazak posted:

A 2d dot is a circle

2D checkmate

All checkmates are 2d!!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Maybe if you haven't mastered 4d chess

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I don't know where you got this impression but 4 pilots in 2 jets went out to check the radar readings and saw the tictac zipping around directly with their eyes. The flir footage comes from a second sortie sent out after Fravor told them to try and get video of what he'd just seen. Look up David Fravor.

The video cuts off and the navy never releases radar poo poo so we don't know.

I did, we're cool.
"What we see on the video is probably a trick of optics, according to Major McGaha. He believes the sudden leftward-zooming of the object resulted from the camera having momentarily reached the limit of its panning ability, at which time the F-18 was banking. This created the onscreen illusion that the object suddenly shot away. As corroboration, McGaha notes that the angle of the object’s moving off the screen is correlated to the bank angle of the F-18. What was no longer viewed was presumed to have disappeared at a tremendous speed.

As it happened, this was Fravor’s “first military assignment as a pilot for the U.S. Navy’s F-18 Super Hornet.” It obviously rattled him. As he was stung by being made fun of on returning to the Nimitz, he “made detailed written notes of the incident” that he mailed to an aunt, noting, “Keep this because this is important stuff about some real X-Files poo poo” (“Pilot report” 2017). No one was going to tell him he could have been mistaken about his experience—which, after all, appears to have been a series of misunderstandings and misperceptions."

Beings with intersteller travel capability would not need to dip in and have a go at loving with a plane or two to feel things out. I've heard an apt metaphor that was loosely based on the time and energy expenditure of stopping a Winnebago mid-roadtrip to place a crumb on an anthill by the freeway. Why? What could possibly be gained? If the craft were extraterrestrial and obviously superior, what could it gain that could not be gathered by other means?

I dunno, man, it's just all too loopy and filled with what-ifs for me. A nation being able to claim first rights on spotting extraterrestrials and the global ramifications of that proof would be a sweet prize and that evidence existing but not being a way bigger deal is a bridge too far. In my eyes the videos are anomalies that share links based on the machinations of their recordings and therein lies the mystery. Anything beyond that is a game with supposition as the goal instead of extraordinary proof.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Aliens are real. Deal with it.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

Aliens are real. Deal with it.

poo poo, okay.

Everything is cooler now. Huh.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Real fake

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I can't wait for the aliens to come down and smite all the disbelievers.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

UFOs are aliens

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Plumps posted:

my best guess as to what some of these things are is some type of electronic warfare projection that can create a radar and/or visual image using lasers or something and some guy is sitting at his desk moving his mouse around making it look like its doing phsically impossible things. The rest are probably aliens.

I like this theory. The military was pen testing against their own instruments to spoof bogeys on our own equipment, so it can then be perfected against China and Russia.

That doesn’t account for the pilot apparently seeing the water being disrupted. Maybe a whale had popped up and his imagination filled in the blanks.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I read Arthur C Clarke's Childhood's End again not too long ago, aliens are good and real and our friends

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

It'd be nice to have a friend, even an alien one :unsmith:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Oh, totally, that .gif was just to use a comparison to show how flare 'spikes' consistently move with rotation of the external lens of an ATFLIR pod; your mileage may vary. To get specific, that glimpse in the loop was taken when the Super Hornet's FLIR pod was rotating its external lens-- In the clunky-rear end map image below, the postracking of the Hornet is red, and the UFO is yellow. The rotation happens at the center/halfway point where the gimbal and external lens would have to flip and re-lock to maintain horizon.

You'll notice the slight shift/delay in re-locking when it happens here, which is consistent with flare/bloom artifacts and tracking latency

I mean, that is the object rotating there, not the gimbal. The clouds in the image do change aspect which would happen if the gimbal was shifting. If the gimbal was shifting, the whole horizon would rotate. Also, because they are in a shallow left turn following the object to the front, which is also in a shallow left turn, there is literally no reason for the gimbal to rotate the lens like that. The object is slightly below the trailer, at about 12:30 , you can see that via the HUD symbololgy showing the water line (the two wide lines on the left and right, with tips pointing down) indicating the aircraft rolled to the right about 10 degrees of bank, and the AOA indicator (little circle with three spokes) being more or less in the middle of the HUD. That symbology is repeated from the HUD and sueprimposed over the FLIR vid for attitude awareness while you're maneuvering the aircraft and looking at the MFD with FLIR vid on it. This is important because the aircraft is not maneuvering off the target, and the target is more or less in the front of the aircraft, which is in a nice shallow turn, level with the horizon, as the water-line is the horizon marking. So no, there is no reason for that gimbal to be rotating instead of the object.

You can hear the radio chatter from the guys in extremely high performance aircraft totally flabbergasted by the movement of the object. The AEGIS cruiser guys (who would have a training library of every threat emitter and their performance characteristics) are similarly blown away. I've spent a lot of time around military pilots are hear these talk about this thing they way are... that's a huuuuuge giveaway that whatever it is... isn't normal. Also, testing deep black aircraft projects in areas where they could easily be found by regular military forces flying training missions is probably not going to happen. I've never heard of close encounters with B-2s, SR-71s, F-117s, or U-2s by military pilots from before they were known aircraft.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 23, 2019

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP05nhB2WLU

we are the aliens

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Julius CSAR posted:

I mean, that is the object rotating there, not the gimbal. The clouds in the image do change aspect which would happen if the gimbal was shifting. If the gimbal was shifting, the whole horizon would rotate. Also, because they are in a shallow left turn following the object to the front, which is also in a shallow left turn, there is literally no reason for the gimbal to rotate the lens like that. The object is slightly below the trailer, at about 12:30 , you can see that via the HUD symbololgy showing the water line (the two wide lines on the left and right, with tips pointing down) indicating the aircraft rolled to the right about 10 degrees of bank, and the AOA indicator (little circle with three spokes) being more or less in the middle of the HUD. That symbology is repeated from the HUD and sueprimposed over the FLIR vid for attitude awareness while you're maneuvering the aircraft and looking at the MFD with FLIR vid on it. This is important because the aircraft is not maneuvering off the target, and the target is more or less in the front of the aircraft, which is in a nice shallow turn, level with the horizon, as the water-line is the horizon marking. So no, there is no reason for that gimbal to be rotating instead of the object.

You can hear the radio chatter from the guys in extremely high performance aircraft totally flabbergasted by the movement of the object. The AEGIS cruiser guys (who would have a training library of every threat emitter and their performance characteristics) are similarly blown away. I've spent a lot of time around military pilots are hear these talk about this thing they way are... that's a huuuuuge giveaway that whatever it is... isn't normal.

The optics gimbal is slightly pivoting but the external lens on the FLIR pod cap, which rotates separately and is what defines the angle of incidence of the flare, is rotating. Nothing but the HUD lines move meaning that the object stays in exactly the same position relative to its environment during the shift. The optics are tracking, they shift slightly, and then they scootch back in a slight correction.

I'm not even saying what the object is, I'm just suggesting what the physical optical causes for the anomalous perception were. I personally think it's a super obvious documented foible of optics tech. I feel like you're winding me up, man, but I get the enjoyment on both sides of this thing. I really do. It's cool.

Julius CSAR posted:

Also, testing deep black aircraft projects in areas where they could easily be found by regular military forces flying training missions is probably not going to happen. I've never heard of close encounters with B-2s, SR-71s, F-117s, or U-2s by military pilots from before they were known aircraft.
You never heard of a military pilot seeing a stealth aircraft during testing in the past, and you never got an amber alert text for this one, so all that leaves is literal extraterrestrial craft I guess

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
What if the aliens evolved in the same way humans did, so they were exactly human-like but from another galaxy and they visited us? Would they be like, "gently caress, we should kill all these other ones of us," or would they be like, "whoa, you all are just like us but we started doing THIS instead and we just loving flew a few billion light years over to tell you that you should be doing it too."

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

It's always vague black/white shapes against black/white backgrounds. Never uncontested, obvious, proven footage in clear conditions. Never mind the fact that if we were being observed by aliens (assuming any intelligent life managed to spend hundreds of years traveling through space just to get here) their tools would be invisible and undetectable so as not to arouse suspicion.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

EVERYBODY WHO SEEN THE ALIEN SAY YEAH

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

dee eight posted:

This seems to be the correct thread to drop a verbatim quote from Mrs. d8:

"I believe in science and evolution both. I think a million years ago some aliens came down to earth and hosed a bunch of monkeys."

To be honest, I can't find any flaw in that logic.

good on her for keeping the family tradition going

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Dynastocles posted:

It's always vague black/white shapes against black/white backgrounds.

Infrared is always black/white

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Goddammit it's not called infragreyscale, we need ANSWERS

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
What if aliens grazed by earth and turned on their scanners, but ultimately passed us by because they detected no intelligent life? :smug: makes you think.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
what if they just wanted to gently caress with us because theyre poo poo heels and it's funny to gently caress with people, why assume aliens are altrustic or follow some "prime directive"

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
Ultrared has more truth revealing power per photon. Only rubes still use infrared

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
they are trying to explode our rock moon to harvest element 534, but ironically

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

As it happened, this was Fravor’s “first military assignment as a pilot for the U.S. Navy’s F-18 Super Hornet.” It obviously rattled him. As he was stung by being made fun of on returning to the Nimitz, he “made detailed written notes of the incident” that he mailed to an aunt, noting, “Keep this because this is important stuff about some real X-Files poo poo” (“Pilot report” 2017). No one was going to tell him he could have been mistaken about his experience—which, after all, appears to have been a series of misunderstandings and misperceptions."

This is vague, hand-wavy garbage the metabunk dudes need to be true since their analysis relies on ignoring the eyewitnesses. 4 different people saw it.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

This is vague, hand-wavy garbage the metabunk dudes need to be true since their analysis relies on ignoring the eyewitnesses. 4 different people saw it.

4 different people can in fact be wrong about what they think they're seeing, especially if they happen to be wired to believe spooky things. that is like objectively way more likely.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
UFO's are real

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There are two possible scenarios if aliens are real.

1) They are sexually attractive and we attempt to gently caress them
2) They are not sexually attractive and we attempt to gently caress them

Whatever the circumstance, we will either gently caress them to death or gently caress each other enough to destroy their entire species.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

jokes posted:

There are two possible scenarios if aliens are real.

1) They are sexually attractive and we attempt to gently caress them
2) They are not sexually attractive and we attempt to gently caress them

Whatever the circumstance, we will either gently caress them to death or gently caress each other enough to destroy their entire species.

I refuse to believe Star Control 2 isn’t a prophecy from an oracle

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

The optics gimbal is slightly pivoting but the external lens on the FLIR pod cap, which rotates separately and is what defines the angle of incidence of the flare, is rotating. Nothing but the HUD lines move meaning that the object stays in exactly the same position relative to its environment during the shift. The optics are tracking, they shift slightly, and then they scootch back in a slight correction.

I'm not even saying what the object is, I'm just suggesting what the physical optical causes for the anomalous perception were. I personally think it's a super obvious documented foible of optics tech. I feel like you're winding me up, man, but I get the enjoyment on both sides of this thing. I really do. It's cool.

Dude, the lens on the pod doesn't rotate or move independently. The lens cover is just that, a lens cover. It's colored funny because of the types of light and the senor it is protecting, but otherwise it's just a piece of glass. You actually posted a gif of a FLIR pod where you can see the lens cover not rotating lmao.

That Rick West guy's entire argument revolves around the lens cover rotating for it to work, and those lens cover do not rotate independently of the pod.

Oh, totally, that .gif was just to use a comparison to show how flare 'spikes' consistently move with rotation of the external lens of an ATFLIR pod; your mileage may vary. To get specific, that glimpse in the loop was taken when the Super Hornet's FLIR pod was rotating its external lens-- In the clunky-rear end map image below, the postracking of the Hornet is red, and the UFO is yellow. The rotation happens at the center/halfway point where the gimbal and external lens would have to flip and re-lock to maintain horizon.

You'll notice the slight shift/delay in re-locking when it happens here, which is consistent with flare/bloom artifacts and tracking latency

Those four pilots saw it through the same device that tracked the original. All input was provided by the same ATFLIR pods that the original recording captured, and provided the same visual output because there is no way they could be tracked visually by a human from 15 miles away. They saw what the FLIR pod showed them, not what their eyes did. Geese. Slices of Velveeta. Russian prostitutes' souls ascending to heaven. Mylar balloons. Helium-filled toddlers. Whatever.

Okay. I'm not, like, the union rep of skeptics. Where did those other objects in formation go?

Dude, fighter pilots can absolutely identify aircraft from that far away lol. Well not this one because we don't know what it is....

quote:

You never heard of a military pilot seeing a stealth aircraft during testing in the past, and you never got an amber alert text for this one, so all that leaves is literal extraterrestrial craft I guess

Those statements from the pilots, and the general sound of their voices hold weight whether you want them to or not. Like, we're not getting a telling-after-the-fact here, this is recorded by those dudes, those are genuine emotions from guys who typically try to stay as calm as possible when they're flying. I'm not saying "it's a spaceship" but EVERY SINGLE PERSON I have talked to about these videos who is a pilot; military, civilian, otherwise, has had the exact same reaction to that video as the guys in those jets, even after multiple viewings, and I know a ton of those people. And that's pretty wild in a community full of people who pride themselves on their ability to identify any object in the air as fast and far away as possible, and are usually correct about what they see. And this goes double or triple for the Hornet guys because they're fighter pilots and that's their job. Also there is a whole lot of people in that metabunk thread talking about the video's "chain of custody" when the chain of custody is literally a FOIA request and the Navy has stated with certainty that the video is a real thing actually capture from Navy aircraft.

Also this really kinda pisses me off, from the Skeptical Inquirer writer Joe Nickell

Wikipedia posted:

Nickell further explains that this was Fravor's first military assignment with the U.S. Navy’s F-18 Super Hornet, and as a result, the experience "obviously rattled him."
Ah yes, as opposed to a civilian assignment in a Super Hornet. My man, you don't get be the CO of one of the most famous Navy fighter squadrons without knowing how to fly fighters ya loving dork.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

...from 40 miles away, in two planes close to each other, through identical tracking systems, as a literal blip on a screen, and with speed tracking only possible from the ground. You're in the Just Asking Questions phase and it will go on endlessly as nobody can prove a negative to your standards of evidence which, by definition, cannot be met ok cool what did they see

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Every single spooky alien/UFO encounter appeals to the rank of some serviceman leading me to believe that UFO enthusiasts believe high ranking military are both extraordinarily trustworthy and also not to be trusted at all.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
There’s a also kind of a dumb thread running through a lot of the debunking stuff that is basically “the Navy pilots, the AWACS operators, AEGIS operators, etc don’t know how to do their jobs, here let me, a guy who was never involved in that world, tell you how all of that works” and it’s pretty goddamn presumptuous to be totally honest

jokes posted:

Every single spooky alien/UFO encounter appeals to the rank of some serviceman leading me to believe that UFO enthusiasts believe high ranking military are both extraordinarily trustworthy and also not to be trusted at all.

I won’t make a comment on their trustworthiness, but US Naval Aviators are basically the most competent pilots in the world and they know their job and equipment inside out. And I say that as a guy who was in the Air Force. Not an easy thing to admit.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 23, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s right along the lines of how nazis make their enemies out to be as stupid and weak, while in the same breath calling them deviously clever and insurmountably strong.

A part of me thinks that they try to appeal to boomers by enlisting various servicemen as a sort of “the system doesn’t want you to know this but we found one guy willing to break away” thing. Like how they tend to think the good cops are the ones that are willing tostep outside the system to murder stop bad guys.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Right? Guy who is a good enough stick to have been landing fast jets on aircraft carriers at night for 18 years: Clearly not competent at his job at ALL

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

...from 40 miles away, in two planes close to each other, through identical tracking systems, as a literal blip on a screen, and with speed tracking only possible from the ground. You're in the Just Asking Questions phase and it will go on endlessly as nobody can prove a negative to your standards of evidence which, by definition, cannot be met ok cool what did they see

You're confusing Fravor's account and the flir video again. Fravor and the 3 other pilots got within a km or 2 of the object and saw it directly. Why are you arguing so surely when you haven't even read up properly?

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
aliens are real and they think i kick rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The true mystery is what UFO stands for

Maybe one day our top scientists can crack that code instead of figuring out a new math equation or whatever, you know?