Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

AngusPodgorny posted:

As someone that likes the original Cats, I see no need for this movie. You could point a couple of cameras at a Broadway production and end up with a superior product for less than $100m. Tom Hooper or whoever wrote the additions is no T.S. Elliot, the celebrity cast doesn’t sing or dance as well as Broadway performers (except Francesca Hayward, but I doubt much of the budget went to the ballet dancer), and the CGI is less interesting than the costumes a theater department can put together.

It has a similar spectacle quality to the original, but even weirder and in cinema form. It’s still the same show but the feel is entirely different and weirder somehow and I love it.

Also the arrangements on the songs are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Julie Taymor is the only director I can think of who might be able to make a decent film version of Cats, but as noted elsewhere, what people like about Cats isn’t really something that can be translated into a movie. It’s an immersive dance experience and what makes it (if you enjoy it) “good” is the fact that it’s live. It’s like if they made a film out of a Cirque du Soleil show where all the stunts were CGI, or of Swan Lake where the dancers were CGI swan people, which would be engagingly nightmarish but removes the element of pretend that makes the live experience what it is.

I need a behind the scenes oral history of this movie.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

This movie would have been a forgettable bore as a straight CG cartoon. The dancing and horny weird rubbing and presenting is so essential to the stage show and it wouldn’t have been CATS if they’d not preserved that.

A Taymor version would have been interesting but she’s smart enough to know better. Only a lunatic could have done this.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I either want this to trash Tom Hooper's inexplicable career or energize him into making things even more loving stupid and bizarre. I hate that man and seeing him make a fool of himself with a hundred million dollars is amazing.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

By the unnatural
Laws of the post-reality universe we now inhabit, the harder this bombs the more money will be fueled into his inevitable adaptation of Company, starring the Michael Bay Transformers.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
If Rum Tum Tugger's not Mr Mistoffelees' best friend and ultimate hype man I'll be sad. That was the best thing about RTT, who was also the best cat because he's the only one who acts like a cat.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

vegetables posted:

Imagine if there was a scene in this movie where you saw a human and they were just an enormous furless and fleshy cat with the ears of a person instead

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Pyrotoad posted:

If Rum Tum Tugger's not Mr Mistoffelees' best friend and ultimate hype man I'll be sad. That was the best thing about RTT, who was also the best cat because he's the only one who acts like a cat.

Everyone hypes the poo poo out of Mr Mistoffelees in a sequence that is genuinely suspenseful and charming.

Hearing that VFX artists were literally working on the film Saturday morning ahead of the Asia release. There might still be VFX artists working on it now.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

josh04 posted:

Hearing that VFX artists were literally working on the film Saturday morning ahead of the Asia release. There might still be VFX artists working on it now.

Not the Asia release. They were fixing the US release after the fact.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/universal-notifies-theaters-cats-is-being-updated-improved-visual-effects-1264689

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I know, this would potentially be on top of that.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Idris Elba’s cgi being incredibly close to his natural skin color and making him incredibly more muscular and true to life looking is actually the most disturbing thing.

Also got the unaltered cut and I’m convinced the two cats wearing shoes for a random scene is completely intentional.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm not an expert on the musical, musicals, Cats in any form or whatever, but if I were the one making a film adaptation...

I'd go with something similar to The Tales of Hoffmann or the ballet sequence in The Red Shoes. Have it look somewhat stagey at first, then ease it into something more cinematic and less artificial. There's nothing wrong with having characters wearing visible greasepaint and costumes as long as you establish that as something that works in context. I mean, the costumes in The Wizard of Oz aren't hyper-realistic, but you forget you're watching people in makeup and costumes because of the performance.

More so, you'd want some sort of stylistic differences from song to song. Sort of like how Stop Making Sense completely avoids any sort of sameness by letting every single song have its own visual style.

Or really, what would have been the best idea, was to just make it an animated film like what was intended in the early 90s from Amblin. Hell, don't change a single shot composition or edit, but make it 100% CGI and it would be an easier film to accept.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm not an expert on the musical, musicals, Cats in any form or whatever, but if I were the one making a film adaptation...

I'd go with something similar to The Tales of Hoffmann or the ballet sequence in The Red Shoes. Have it look somewhat stagey at first, then ease it into something more cinematic and less artificial. There's nothing wrong with having characters wearing visible greasepaint and costumes as long as you establish that as something that works in context. I mean, the costumes in The Wizard of Oz aren't hyper-realistic, but you forget you're watching people in makeup and costumes because of the performance.

More so, you'd want some sort of stylistic differences from song to song. Sort of like how Stop Making Sense completely avoids any sort of sameness by letting every single song have its own visual style.

Or really, what would have been the best idea, was to just make it an animated film like what was intended in the early 90s from Amblin. Hell, don't change a single shot composition or edit, but make it 100% CGI and it would be an easier film to accept.

It would just blow as a CGI cartoon. The songs in general aren’t good enough to carry it. The weird horny spectacle of bodies is essential to the nature of the show.

This is basically a perfect adaptation.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

In terms of stagey-to-cinematic Andrew Lloyd Webber adaptations, that's basically what the straight-to-VHS Joseph and his Technicolour Dreamcoat is.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Also the arrangements on the songs are great.

they actually sound really bad

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I saw the unfixed version yesterday and i want to go back and see it again now they've fixed it? help?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pyrotoad posted:

the relationship is different b/c Mr Mistoffelees is a Very Sad Boy in this version, one of the weirder choices they made

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zikan posted:

Also got the unaltered cut and I’m convinced the two cats wearing shoes for a random scene is completely intentional.

I assumed that was just a stylistic choice, and if the home video releases don't have the shoe cats it'll be one of those crazy-rear end movie trivia things I'll never stop thinking about.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Please consult the list of unpatched theaters on the cats support wiki before purchasing your tickets

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robotnik Nudes posted:

A Taymor version would have been interesting but she’s smart enough to know better. Only a lunatic could have done this.

And that's what makes it beautiful

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Julie Taymor is the only director I can think of who might be able to make a decent film version of Cats, but as noted elsewhere, what people like about Cats isn’t really something that can be translated into a movie. It’s an immersive dance experience and what makes it (if you enjoy it) “good” is the fact that it’s live. It’s like if they made a film out of a Cirque du Soleil show where all the stunts were CGI, or of Swan Lake where the dancers were CGI swan people, which would be engagingly nightmarish but removes the element of pretend that makes the live experience what it is.

I need a behind the scenes oral history of this movie.

Now that you mention it, I'd have totally been down for a psychological horror film based around Cats in the vein of Black Swan, but more manic and psychosexual as befitting the subject matter.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

angerbeet posted:

If you think Cats is weird and horny, Starlight Express is insane, horny as hell, and is about anime train romance done entirely on rollerskates while flipping off the existence of God.

https://twitter.com/CozyJamble/status/1207871249348620290

quote:

Starlight Express is also the most successful musical in Germany, where it has been performed in a purpose-built theatre since 1988.[4]

Checks out

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Here's some math for you: one of the biggest box-office bombs of the 21st century, the Armie Hammer/Johnny Depp version of The Lone Ranger (2013), had a terrible North American opening weekend: $29 million on a $250 million budget (before marketing).

After the December 16th red-carpet premiere of Cats, Universal was projecting a pessimistic North American opening weekend intake of $15-20 million, essentially sending out the movie to die by releasing it on the same weekend as the new Star Wars.

If Cats wanted to match (let alone surpass) Lone Ranger's disastrous opening weekend in relation to its own $95 million budget (before marketing), it would have had to gross $11.2 million.

Cats' actual opening weekend in North America? $6.5 million.

Woof.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i want to watch Cats. I'm trying to convince my friends to watch it and we would smuggle in neat vodka in water bottles but they say things like "i could spend my time being a productive member of society instead of indulging in your jellicle fantasies." They refuse to come out to-night, they refuse to come one come all. Tom Hopper's film is shining unpatched - a jellicle rhino comes to the jellicle ball.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

theenglishman posted:

Here's some math for you: one of the biggest box-office bombs of the 21st century, the Armie Hammer/Johnny Depp version of The Lone Ranger (2013), had a terrible North American opening weekend: $29 million on a $250 million budget (before marketing).

After the December 16th red-carpet premiere of Cats, Universal was projecting a pessimistic North American opening weekend intake of $15-20 million, essentially sending out the movie to die by releasing it on the same weekend as the new Star Wars.

If Cats wanted to match (let alone surpass) Lone Ranger's disastrous opening weekend in relation to its own $95 million budget (before marketing), it would have had to gross $11.2 million.

Cats' actual opening weekend in North America? $6.5 million.

Woof.

this is a slightly unfair comparison because that inflated budget number for Lone Ranger included the failed attempts and false starts on that license by Disney in the past, Cats doesn't have that problem (but it's still a massive failure)

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

this is a slightly unfair comparison because that inflated budget number for Lone Ranger included the failed attempts and false starts on that license by Disney in the past, Cats doesn't have that problem (but it's still a massive failure)

I actually didn't know that. Is there a projected budget that's only dedicated to the final version?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i want to watch Cats. I'm trying to convince my friends to watch it and we would smuggle in neat vodka in water bottles but they say things like "i could spend my time being a productive member of society instead of indulging in your jellicle fantasies." They refuse to come out to-night, they refuse to come one come all. Tom Hopper's film is shining unpatched - a jellicle rhino comes to the jellicle ball.

What if you sing them a song about how much they deserve this?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/MrMichaelSwartz/status/1208581775502516224?s=20

The Hands ...

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

theenglishman posted:

I actually didn't know that. Is there a projected budget that's only dedicated to the final version?

actually i was wrong and thinking of John Carter. Lone Ranger was just Gore Verbinski being given a blank check and seeing how many zeroes he could squeeze on the "amount" line

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4PR9NZlAB4

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/t_ruggeri/status/1208835503124099073?s=21

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

duz posted:

What if you sing them a song about how much they deserve this?

i sent this video to them and said "hey you all remember that young judi dench was a fox, well she is a cat now but she still is also a fox" and they vehemently disagreed. suffice to say my efforts are wasted on these un-jellicle people

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Taylor Swift's Dad was very influential on this film according to what I assume are fully legitimate media accounts:

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1206740350938730497

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

This movie oozes with the poo poo-hot confidence of someone possessed of a profound incompetence and no idea of it. One of the first things you see is a man-cat crawling down a vertical surface like loving spider-man, which between that and the catnip thing leads me to believe that Tom Hooper doesn't actually know what a cat is.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

someone possessed of a profound incompetence and no idea of it.

i've never seen a better description of Tom Hooper than this. The man is bad at directing but a combination of knowing the right people, picking the right projects to give his signature "but what if this looked boring and had lots of unnecessary closeups" energy to, and Hollywood's tendency to let old white dudes suck upwards have kept him in our lives despite my repeated insistence that he stop making movies. his good movies are good despite him ('sup King's Speech) and his bad movies are bad mostly because of him ('sup Cats)

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I feel like this movie is the first horseman of the Apocalypse. Matters will move quickly from this point.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
https://twitter.com/mdseeley/status/1208213402499334144

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I haven't seen it yet. I've heard about some of the VFX stuff, but I didn't realize it was that bad

(thread)
https://twitter.com/kyttenjanae/status/1208837944401747968

i may need to get high as poo poo and go see it tomorrow.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

it's definitely that bad

you notice more of the background stuff and the hands/feet if you know to look for it, but even if you're not some of the stuff will just jump out as straight unfinished like Rebel Wilson's collar, or some of the backgrounds during Skimbleshanks' song (otherwise a highlight)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

the poo poo-hot confidence of someone possessed of a profound incompetence and no idea of it

https://twitter.com/communalsauce/status/1208950137310990336