Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Thank you to the rest of the voters for giving Oblina her due.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I decided to give Dauntless (the f2p Monster Hunter) a try after hearing good things about it.

It's not an idle game, or a clicker, but my brain went "Hey! This is a numbers-go-up game!"

It's just that the mechanism for making the NGU is to violently disassemble monsters and then use their own body parts against them.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

mdxi posted:

I decided to give Dauntless (the f2p Monster Hunter) a try after hearing good things about it.

It's not an idle game, or a clicker, but my brain went "Hey! This is a numbers-go-up game!"

It's just that the mechanism for making the NGU is to violently disassemble monsters and then use their own body parts against them.

Off-topic continuation, but Dauntless's biggest problem right now is that MHW exists and is basically better in every single way that isn't the price...and the price is utterly worth it. I tried it out a few months ago and dropped it pretty quick. Hopefully it'll continue to improve over time? I don't hate the aesthetic/etc and in general I want more games of that type.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

KazigluBey posted:

Thanks? Not read the book but I've seen it used a fair bit on SA and English isn't even my first language, but if that's what you're hung up about I'll change it to "understand". :shrug:

I'm assuming this whole thing was grok vs. gronk before you edited it, but since gronk is pretty much a stand-in for a cave-man name, all I can think of is cavemen struggling to understand stuff.

"Thag, you explained it twice, but I just can't gronk this whole fire thing."

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
I should maybe explain that what I mean by "an annoying type of algebra problem" is not "you absolutely need a spreadsheet for this" but more like "it takes 10 seconds of thought and my instincts from basically every other game ever make me think I should be repeating the calculation every second or faster because of how rapidly the cost increases for whatever I assigned power to". That's probably still not adequately describing what I'm feeling but that particular variety of being overwhelmed is at least a large part of why I bounced off (and a large part of why the Augments feature in NGU isn't as annoying to me, since it's a lot slower until long after you've developed pattern recognition for it).

PS: "doing the algebra or equivalent intuitive work takes just long enough that the answer is out of date by the time you have it" seems like the sort of situation that calls for calculus, but... then I'd be doing calculus for a video game, and one that I'm not even invested in yet at that.

Sillyman fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 22, 2019

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Samuringa posted:

I'm giving it a chance but mostly playing it "offline" because not only the UI is pretty bad but for some reason they picked twelve shades of poop brown for most of it.

I'm still pretty early on but are there any newbie traps to look out for? You mentioned Slimes not being good until much later so I'm wondering about other stuff.

Not really. I'd say don't over-invest in the Cap/Power/Refill XP purchases; early on the flat Unique Power Refill & Mana Power Boost purchasables in the same menu are much better investments. Otherwise, just pick up XP/Souls permanent upgrades as they become available and you've got the currency for them, most will have a bit of red text warning you away if you haven't gotten to the feature they're linked to.

But yeah, don't sweat the slimes feature too much until you're comfortably into the Gathering and Fishing systems, it's hard to keep good slimes around until that point and the bonuses are marginal anyways.

Jabor posted:

What spell should a total beginner invest in?
Why is that not the only spell unlocked at the start of the game?

If they haven't put any thought into the first-time experience, what is there to suggest that the rest of the game is somehow worthwhile?

What Augment should an NGU player invest in if they don't use third-party stuff to math it out, as soon as they have more than one choice? Why isn't that Augment the only one you can pick up at any given time? Like lmao the answer is "whatever feels like it's outputting the most Offense(Attack)/Defense, don't sweat it", just like how for the most part the answer to what Augment pairing is the correct one is also "whatever one feels the best". The majority of players don't use third-party add-ons or excel sheets and as far as I can tell it's not a problem that they can't mathematically/accurately determine what they should be investing into. It's not anywhere near as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. Just getting to stage 20 for Resurrections (Rebirth), which is utterly trivial, means you've already also unlocked 4 other features. This is all first-session stuff, Spells are like first-couple of minutes before you're already doing more poo poo.

Like OK so it seems there are people itt that bounce off of spells so there HAS to be some new-player friction going on, but in a thread where Alchemizer and Idle Structure and any number of other uber-complex idles got discussed without people saying that the first brush made the games not worth their time idgi. I know that personal experience is hardly an excuse but as someone who couldn't click with Alchemizer and muddled through Structure I had no problem blowing past spells without it registering as anything more than a bump. "Oh I guess this pair is having more of an impact on Offense/Defense, I'll switch to it while I do other stuff."

edit: removed a dumb take

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 23, 2019

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

KazigluBey posted:

This feels like a really overblown issue, am I missing some background? Did the WAMI dev insult something or was there some kind of tension between the playerbases or beef on the forums or discords or whatever?

Not as far as I know? Look, from my perspective, you asked why some people don't like WAMI (because someone brought up when you recommended it to them that they they tried it and found it to be "hot garbage"), I chimed in because I thought I could offer some insight, and your response was more or less to argue that that couldn't have possibly been why I disliked it. I tried (two posts above) to clarify an obvious communication failure on my part, and I was going to write some more about the matter but eh, gently caress it.

Sillyman fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 22, 2019

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

KazigluBey posted:

This feels like a really overblown issue, am I missing some background? Did the WAMI dev insult something or was there some kind of tension between the playerbases or beef on the forums or discords or whatever?

:shrug: I haven't once mentioned WAMI, i have absolutely no beef with the game. It's just been people expressing their opinions about what mechanics they like/dislike with NGU and WAMI.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Having browsed a bit longer I pinpointed the thing that turns me off the most from the game, it relies way too much on the MMO/Lootgame upgrades of "+1% bonus to ____". Aside from your first Reincarnation and when you get a new piece of equipment, all other increments just border on being inconsequential; The Demons and the Conjuring both feel near useless, the Town upgrades that aren't House and School grow too quickly in price to be worth considering, the Pet Food really needs some sort of boost compared to how good the Pet Points are and I can't even notice what difference it made from having a Level 1 Sword go to Level 130. It's one thing to be slow, it's an idle game and waiting is part of the gameplay, but overall it just feels unrewarding.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Sillyman posted:

and your response was more or less to argue that that couldn't have possibly been why I disliked it.

Man if I'm coming across as aggro that's really not my intent. I just couldn't click with your original post at all, so while I'm sure that your points are the reason you've concluded the game's not for you, and are perfectly valid from your PoV, I'm having trouble seeing how anyone could reach that PoV in the first place. Like, your point a. feels bizarre to me because you don't need to optimize anything and the breakpoints to the first couple of feature unlocks are super low. Your point b. is off to me as well because you don't want to cap anything or even apply a split across multiple tiers. You said "there's no way I'm going through that" when "through that" was whatever short amount was needed to unlock the next new feature and now every Resurrection I do I spend less than a couple of seconds with Spells before moving on to other stuff.

I'll drop this and agree that the new player experience in WAMI must be flawed if it has garnered these kinds of responses but it blows my mind because to me it's like saying "well I came into game X with game Y assumptions on how stuff works and refused to try and see how that's not the case at all.", which is probably fair enough given the shared DNA with NGU, but anyone who gets Augments and isn't going off of Augment min-maxing via add-ons or spreadsheets should intrinsically "get" Spells as well, even if the game presents 6 tiers from the onset.

But fair enough, if we're just comparing experiences it's obviously valid to say yours (and the other posters itt) means that the new player experience is off. It's when people are posting that it's objectively bad that I really can't get what they're saying. Spells were a super simple intro to the game to me and I hadn't thought about them at all since the feature faded into the background a few minutes in, until brought up itt.

Samuringa posted:

Having browsed a bit longer I pinpointed the thing that turns me off the most from the game, it relies way too much on the MMO/Lootgame upgrades of "+1% bonus to ____". Aside from your first Reincarnation and when you get a new piece of equipment, all other increments just border on being inconsequential; The Demons and the Conjuring both feel near useless, the Town upgrades that aren't House and School grow too quickly in price to be worth considering, the Pet Food really needs some sort of boost compared to how good the Pet Points are and I can't even notice what difference it made from having a Level 1 Sword go to Level 130. It's one thing to be slow, it's an idle game and waiting is part of the gameplay, but overall it just feels unrewarding.

There's definitely an issue where during the introduction of a feature it isn't very impactful, but it ramps up fairly quick. Right now I'm easily topping 2000 demons, so if I put them in any given boost or even split them across two the effect is massive. 1000 demons in Mana Refill is 3.5K base and 180% overall more, while in Mana Power it's a similar amount. Placed in Offense/Defense that 1K equals almost 1000% more to the stats in question. So yeah, it ramps a lot. Conjuration bonuses across the board are super impactful as well, especially with the right-side ones resulting in a doubling of the base value per level (and here I'll cop to a minor UI error in the game, it should mention the right-side conjurations being a 100% of base value, rather than implying it's 1% and only mentioning the real effect further down in the tool-tip). Town is a pita until you automate it (and it's a super cheap priority purchase anyways) but once you've done so it's just like any fully abstracted-away feature in NGU that you no longer really fiddle with, like Advanced Training. As for adventure items, all items have doubled in value at max level, both for base stats and special stats, just like in NGU. The levels are just how granular each individual bump ends up being.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 22, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You wrote like 1500 words defending your chosen game's honour, but you think it's other people who are being weird about it?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

NGU Bug Report: I Am Supposed To Make Numbers Go Up, But My Basic Trainings Have All Gone Down To 1 Instead, Plz Fix

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Jabor posted:

You wrote like 1500 words defending your chosen game's honour, but you think it's other people who are being weird about it?

No, I said I didn't get their takes or thought they were wrong and tried to argue it, apparently badly. I've copped to a number of flaws with WAMI so I hardly think I was "defending" the game's "honor", but sorry I was posting about an Idle game in the thread about Idle games, I guess. :shrug:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jabor posted:

to be fair, 2 of them weren't words

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh, I got a suggestion for NGU, the "Simple Inventory Shortcuts" should probably work for the Infinity Cube I think. It's not a huge deal of course because you can still just right-click but I think it does feel a bit odd you can't just press 'A' over it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
For the Augments in NGU, i was following that newbie guide which mentioned just dumping it all into the scissors when you can get it to basically have a 0 second time to completion, but is there a target figure where this approach really drops off compared to the next augments?

I was doing a little bit of testing and i can 0-0.1 second the milk augment for a while which obviously increases the multiplier faster.

I'm kinda just looking for a steer on how i should be progressing through these in case i'm missing some obvious gains i could be making like leveling up the time machine speed past 100.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

KazigluBey posted:

No, I said I didn't get their takes or thought they were wrong and tried to argue it, apparently badly. I've copped to a number of flaws with WAMI so I hardly think I was "defending" the game's "honor", but sorry I was posting about an Idle game in the thread about Idle games, I guess. :shrug:

In this thread You are supposed to only praise NGU and its stupid brilliant constant rebirthing.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

MikusR posted:

In this thread You are supposed to only praise NGU and its stupid brilliant constant rebirthing.

It's legit a good game and deserves the primacy it has established for itself in the genre. :shrug: Reading back through what I posted yeah it was weak and argued very poorly so I apologize for making GBS threads up the thread.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

MikusR posted:

KazigluBey posted:

sorry I was posting about an Idle game in the thread about Idle games, I guess. :shrug:

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
We here at NGU Corp remind our victims customers that we have had absolutely no part in the WAMI bashing and also WAMI is a good and valid game that deserves discussion

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if I should buy the Auto-Nuker now or save up the additional 30k AP for the first extra inventory slot from the sellout shop first, or save up for another Heart.

So many dang nab choices.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Not sure if I should buy the Auto-Nuker now or save up the additional 30k AP for the first extra inventory slot from the sellout shop first, or save up for another Heart.

So many dang nab choices.

Hearts are usually your best bet, depending on how many inventory slots you have now spending all of your AP for a single one may not be the best investment. Auto nuker is nice to have but was one of the last things I bought because it saves one button press at the start of a run and that's about it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I only have the one extra one atm and it's gonna be another like 20 days until my yellow heart gets capped by the daycare.

I'm still not that far in I've gotten to the point where I can idle GRB and I'm currently doing my 3rd basic challenge. I haven't gotten much further than that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is the first inventory slot real expensive or something? I'm looking at it now and one inventory slot is 4800AP, seems like the number goes up when I buy one but that makes me think if you're saving an additional 30k for a single inventory slot something's wrong :thunk:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

For the Augments in NGU, i was following that newbie guide which mentioned just dumping it all into the scissors when you can get it to basically have a 0 second time to completion, but is there a target figure where this approach really drops off compared to the next augments?

I was doing a little bit of testing and i can 0-0.1 second the milk augment for a while which obviously increases the multiplier faster.

I'm kinda just looking for a steer on how i should be progressing through these in case i'm missing some obvious gains i could be making like leveling up the time machine speed past 100.

For augments if you are in the boss 17-36 range you want to be increasing the strongest augment you can afford to purchase. Focusing entirely on scissors only comes into play when you take out boss 37 and get the scissors upgrade, which lets you build augment power quickly and cheaply.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Tortolia posted:

For augments if you are in the boss 17-36 range you want to be increasing the strongest augment you can afford to purchase. Focusing entirely on scissors only comes into play when you take out boss 37 and get the scissors upgrade, which lets you build augment power quickly and cheaply.

I'm on boss 149 and at the point where i'm dumping 10s of millions of energy into augments.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Ah I meant, extra accessory slot. That would make more sense right.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Ah I meant, extra accessory slot. That would make more sense right.

Ah okay, loadout slot. That does make more sense hah. If you do find yourself switching in and out of gear a lot another one is definitely nice to have.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

Ah okay, loadout slot. That does make more sense hah. If you do find yourself switching in and out of gear a lot another one is definitely nice to have.

No. Accessory slot. Another one. For more accessories.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

gently caress's sake. Sorry. :doh:

A new accessory slot is also a very good investment

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

which hearts do you have

accessory is probably a good buy after yellow and before the other ones other than maybe red

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have only Yellow and it has been sitting in the item daycare since I got it, it is currently just shy of level 36. My math says I got another 21 days or so until it's level 100

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
If you already have Red and Yellow, then go for Acc slots unless you're missing some notable QOL feature(1/2 Timers, Insta Training Cap, Imp. Filter, Filter Boosts in Cube)

You'll want to buy a Beard or Diggers Slot at some point but by then you'll also have enough challenge completions to have no need to be choosy.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have all that except 1/2 timers (or the Red Heart). I'll just hold off for now.

At what point does EXP gain start ramping up? Getting the offline progress from the ITOPOD has helped but it still feels like it's so slow to trickle in.

Speaking of the ITOPOD, right now I'm saving up for the double basic training perk which I think is probably more useful than the other incremental improvements most of the other low-cost perks offer now that I have all the newbie ones. Not sure what to get after that, maybe the daycare one.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 23, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Offline autokilling titans is a source of exp, obviously the more different titans you can autokill the more you get.

The second titan unlocks a feature that gives you a ton of exp, once you've built it up appropriately.

The generic e/m power/cap perks are well worth getting. The effect might not look like much, but consider the effect of putting 100 points into them...

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I have all that except 1/2 timers (or the Red Heart). I'll just hold off for now.

At what point does EXP gain start ramping up? Getting the offline progress from the ITOPOD has helped but it still feels like it's so slow to trickle in.

Speaking of the ITOPOD, right now I'm saving up for the double basic training perk which I think is probably more useful than the other incremental improvements most of the other low-cost perks offer now that I have all the newbie ones. Not sure what to get after that, maybe the daycare one.

EXP is a slow trickle for a little while, yeah. I found it ramps up as you start auto-killing more titans, as they give you a good chunk of EXP.

For perks, for the most part I've been following this tier list from the Discord: https://pastebin.com/g8wRQwB2 It's worked out pretty well - I'm currently at tier 4 and working on Boosted Boosts II, which is super useful for getting my Beast gear up to par.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Around the time you start autokilling UUG or Walderp you'll buy all the Special Adventure upgrades that aren't Guffs or Daycare II.

Don't buy the Double Basic Training yet, it's a very superfluous upgrade that you won't even notice aside from when doing Challenges. The Generics are all worth it, and after that the NGUs, Boosted Boosts, Wandoos, Golden Showers, and ygg related Perks. Banks as well at some point. That's assuming you already have the Crappy Perk.

Phelddagrif posted:

EXP is a slow trickle for a little while, yeah. I found it ramps up as you start auto-killing more titans, as they give you a good chunk of EXP.

For perks, for the most part I've been following this tier list from the Discord: https://pastebin.com/g8wRQwB2 It's worked out pretty well - I'm currently at tier 4 and working on Boosted Boosts II, which is super useful for getting my Beast gear up to par.

This is a very bad list because for some reason it tells people to ignore Generic Magic Bars perks and Golden Showers, and skimming over Banks. The 5 Clock Shadow perk is also useless and you shouldn't ever buy it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Alright I'll just dump those points into Generic Energy Power for now.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the events of the last two pages have radicalized me and I will now do everything in my power to ensure number goes down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the events of the last two pages have radicalized me and I will now do everything in my power to ensure number goes down

My retirement!