Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i don't think happiness was ever in the cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Happiness does not inspire Royalty.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

paranoid randroid posted:

idiots! you reach heaven by being able to accomplish fist arts but living in a barrel instead!

That barrel was very clearly not in heaven.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
reach the yellow city through violence

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Who What Now posted:

You don't reached heaven through pacifism

You can, it just has to be really badass pacifism.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah i'm all on board for this arena smashing action but Meti had a good point that the path to a happy life with your blue girlfriend is not the path of face busting

At the same time the comic has kinda made a point that detached non-violence forever and ever amen both creates and exacerbates worse problems. The Masters of Ki-Rata are almost single handedly responsible for inflicting Solomon David on the universe.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Captain Oblivious posted:

At the same time the comic has kinda made a point that detached non-violence forever and ever amen both creates and exacerbates worse problems. The Masters of Ki-Rata are almost single handedly responsible for inflicting Solomon David on the universe.

TL, DR: Dying at the hands of violent people ceases to be a problem when your biggest problem is living existence itself. If existence is violence, then the only non-violence is non-existence.

On the contrary, for a comic about gratuitous ultra-violence, in KSBD it's very clear to me that violence creates violence creates violence, ad infinitum. YISUN attained something resembling the non-dualistic non-existence pursued by real-world Buddhism, and then got bored of it, which led to a beautiful and varied and life-filled multiverse full of pain and suffering. The Very Wise Frog was right when it said that violence is inescapable, and its violent and senseless death proves its point exactly. The Masters of Ki-Rata were right to say that violence is a perpetual cycle; their only mistake was misjudging the character of their final student. Of course, all of these pacifists were brutally killed by violent people, but that's only a problem if you for some reason have a special attachment to a worldly existence full of violence and suffering.

YISUN spent the first part of YISUN's existence as a perfect, peaceful whole, a universe without violence or suffering. Then, YISUN got bored, and created an imperfect and divided universe through self-annihilation. The universe exists because of violence. Existence itself is a violence, and violence is inseparable from existence. Sure, the Masters of Ki-Rata died horrible and violent deaths, but that's a given for anybody that exists, for some loose definition of horrible and violent. If the Ki-Rata Masters had fought the invaders, then a different Ki-Rata practitioner would have taken over instead of Dave. If Dave had been rejected by their order, then someone else would be demiurge instead of him. The details change, but the big picture stays the same.

Of course, the characters, and probably most of the readers, are all quite attached to their living, breathing bodies, but it's pretty clear that anybody with any fondness for being alive should get used to the idea of defending it with violence.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah i'm all on board for this arena smashing action but Meti had a good point that the path to a happy life with your blue girlfriend is not the path of face busting

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah, Meti also made a good point that if you want your furious dumbass girlfriend to survive a battle royale run by two of the gods of the seven-part world, you must be prepared to strike down every competitor on the spot with every last ounce of your might.

Going back a bit, it seems to me that Cio's aversion is more to greed and ambition than violence. She is not as much of a fan of violence as, say, Princess, but it does not terrify her the way the vault did.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 22, 2019

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The real lesson from the masters of Ki-Rata is that they should have been better at detecting dishonesty. Salami successfully convinced them that he had no intention of pursuing further vengeance.

Of course, if they had seen through that and just either refused him or killed him, then there wouldn't be a comic, but this isn't a disproof of their principles, just their ability to follow through on their own principles.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

lightrook posted:

TL, DR: Dying at the hands of violent people ceases to be a problem when your biggest problem is living existence itself. If existence is violence, then the only non-violence is non-existence.

On the contrary, for a comic about gratuitous ultra-violence, in KSBD it's very clear to me that violence creates violence creates violence, ad infinitum. YISUN attained something resembling the non-dualistic non-existence pursued by real-world Buddhism, and then got bored of it, which led to a beautiful and varied and life-filled multiverse full of pain and suffering. The Very Wise Frog was right when it said that violence is inescapable, and its violent and senseless death proves its point exactly. The Masters of Ki-Rata were right to say that violence is a perpetual cycle; their only mistake was misjudging the character of their final student. Of course, all of these pacifists were brutally killed by violent people, but that's only a problem if you for some reason have a special attachment to a worldly existence full of violence and suffering.

YISUN spent the first part of YISUN's existence as a perfect, peaceful whole, a universe without violence or suffering. Then, YISUN got bored, and created an imperfect and divided universe through self-annihilation. The universe exists because of violence. Existence itself is a violence, and violence is inseparable from existence. Sure, the Masters of Ki-Rata died horrible and violent deaths, but that's a given for anybody that exists, for some loose definition of horrible and violent. If the Ki-Rata Masters had fought the invaders, then a different Ki-Rata practitioner would have taken over instead of Dave. If Dave had been rejected by their order, then someone else would be demiurge instead of him. The details change, but the big picture stays the same.

Of course, the characters, and probably most of the readers, are all quite attached to their living, breathing bodies, but it's pretty clear that anybody with any fondness for being alive should get used to the idea of defending it with violence.

I have a hard time reconciling the idea that one can be perfect and also still retain the ability to become bored. It seems to me that if one were perfect, one would always be able to not be bored.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tulip posted:

The real lesson from the masters of Ki-Rata is that they should have been better at detecting dishonesty. Salami successfully convinced them that he had no intention of pursuing further vengeance.

Of course, if they had seen through that and just either refused him or killed him, then there wouldn't be a comic, but this isn't a disproof of their principles, just their ability to follow through on their own principles.

It's not really clear if the Ki-Rata masters were blind to the idea that someone could hold a grudge for that long, or if Solomon was so dedicated to his revenge that he successfully hid it from some of the wheel's most powerful martial art masters. Between the two, though, I'd swing toward the fact that the whole story was about how exceptional Solomon David was.

There Bias Two posted:

I have a hard time reconciling the idea that one can be perfect and also still retain the ability to become bored. It seems to me that if one were perfect, one would always be able to not be bored.

YISUN is everything. Everything includes boredom, loneliness and ennui.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Tulip posted:

I think it's more that they thought they could teach him their pacifism along with the sick rear end world-shattering supermurder arts.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
yeah he didn't deceive them, they could tell that he still wanted vengeance, they just figured that if he trained with them for decades then by the end of it he'd have to have calmed down and accepted that the murder of his family wasn't important enough to kill anyone over.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tulip posted:

There'd still be a comic, it just wouldn't have Dave. Someone else would have clawed their way to the top to take his place.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Tulip posted:

The disproof of their principles is that they stood by and watched a world be murdered and enslaved while they had the ability to stop it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the reason meti is royalty and the masters of ki rata arent is masters still took pride in their capacity for violence by making a big loving deal about not wielding it, whereas meti chose to live in squalor and mocked people for wanting her tutelage

i mean the thesis of her whole book is Here Is Why You Shouldn't Read This Book

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

But: she still wrote the book.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Royalty can write a little sword manual.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Patrick Spens posted:

The disproof of their principles is that they stood by and watched a world be murdered and enslaved while they had the ability to stop it.

It’s this one.
Note that they absolutely would and did kill rival ki rata practitioners as well.

Also, YISUN’s death by division was necessary for independent beings to exist; individuality is in some sense a state which leads to violence. Violence is inescapable, as the frog said.

Also, the one thing we know YISUN most loved was striving for the impossible; seeking an end to violence is absolutely worthy even if violence is inescapable.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 22, 2019

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

There Bias Two posted:

Correct, YISUN's fatal flaw was getting bored with perfection. Boredom led YISUN to create the universe, which has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Patware posted:

If you have to do something you might as well do it right

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

YISUN clearly decided that multiple beings existing, and the conflict that arises from that, was preferable to a single unchanging and perfect being existing forever doing nothing.

I’m not convinced we need to posit a flaw in that perfect being for them to choose to create the universe.

Theologically speaking.

E: oh hey I’m late to the party, I just realized YISUN is made up of three names: YS, and UN, and the secret name of God.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Patware posted:

look sometimes you wake up from getting blackout drunk and discover youre on the hook to the Guild of Publishers and Bondsmen to the tune of 150 pages and while youre not worried about dealing with the bounty hunters that would result from reneging it would still be this whole big thing so you might as well write the drat book

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

M_Gargantua posted:

isn't it? gently caress happy life I guess

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
meti, hunched over a laptop thats plugged into an extension cord winding along the street into maya's mom's noodle shop: "NOODLE SELLER'S DAUGHTER I REQUIRE ANOTHER ORDER OF #12 SPICY, A HANDLE OF THE CHEAPEST LIQUOR YOU CAN REASONABLY LAY HANDS ON, AND A FISTFUL OF THE PILLS THAT GUY WHO HANGS OUT IN THE ALLEY SELLS"

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Despite the fact that we already know the highlights of the story, I think it'd be a really cool side-adventure to see the actual Life of Solomon David, get an inside view of the Universal War, see how the Celestial Empire rose, and the details of how the Pact of the Seven Part World was forged. I know Abbadon's done with K6BD after he finishes Allison's story, but it'd be fun to see if he ever decides to return to the universe.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Solomon David: those aren't my heirs
Allison and CIo: *constant shouting, perform a forbidden technique, destroy the whole arena*
Solomon David: ...
Solomon David: Okay maybe

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lights posted:

Despite the fact that we already know the highlights of the story, I think it'd be a really cool side-adventure to see the actual Life of Solomon David, get an inside view of the Universal War, see how the Celestial Empire rose, and the details of how the Pact of the Seven Part World was forged. I know Abbadon's done with K6BD after he finishes Allison's story, but it'd be fun to see if he ever decides to return to the universe.

In this story, the bad guy would constantly win until he decided he owned enough land and people and he would have a smug grin the entire time.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

wiegieman posted:

In this story, the bad guy would constantly win until he decided he owned enough land and people and he would have a smug grin the entire time.

As if bad guys are ever capable of deciding they own enough.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
late to the conversation but zaid is too handsome to be rudely dumped, please do not suggest such cruel things to beautiful people.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I dunno, he seemed kind of gross in bed with Allison

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Zaid then:

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/ksbd-chapter-1-1/
https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/ksbd-chapter-1-2/
https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/ksbd-chapter-1-3/

On the plus side, he didn't get her drunk, and he asked for renewed consent. On the minus side, he's still kinda pushy and forceful, claiming to be turned on by her freaking out, which is kinda creepy. He also botched the bra-removal.

He did get quite a good tan while on Rayuba, though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know who started calling Solomon David 'Salami Dave' but it amuses me greatly.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

YggiDee posted:

I don't know who started calling Solomon David 'Salami Dave' but it amuses me greatly.

its his handle on the throne body building forums.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 23, 2019

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Zaid then:

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/ksbd-chapter-1-1/
https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/ksbd-chapter-1-2/
https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/ksbd-chapter-1-3/

On the plus side, he didn't get her drunk, and he asked for renewed consent. On the minus side, he's still kinda pushy and forceful, claiming to be turned on by her freaking out, which is kinda creepy. He also botched the bra-removal.

He did get quite a good tan while on Rayuba, though.

Really, "not a rapist" isn't a big plus side. That's a pretty low bar even by Throne standards.

Solomon David knows how to style his wards though.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Motherfucker posted:

its his handle on the throne body building forums.
oh god I'm imagining the demiurges in an argument over how many days are in a week

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Fish Noise posted:

oh god I'm imagining the demiurges in an argument over how many days are in a week

With 777,777 worlds around it's probably a legitimate question. Throne itself doesn't even have a day/night cycle.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Shoehead posted:

I dunno, he seemed kind of gross in bed with Allison

I feel like a lot of that was down to Abaddon... being kind of bad at expressions early on. Lots of sweating and weird eye movements. He's improved that by leaps and bounds.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Patware posted:

I feel like a lot of that was down to Abaddon... being kind of bad at expressions early on. Lots of sweating and weird eye movements. He's improved that by leaps and bounds.

Yeah but Allison was definitely meant to be read as uncomfortable there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
At the same time she had "lose my virginity" on her calendar so I'm not sure that the discomfort was specifically Zaid based.