Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I got a cable, linked my PC to my Quest, and got to play around with the Rift home... thing, so I guess it works. Is there a simple instruction set for playing SteamVR games on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Zachack posted:

I got a cable, linked my PC to my Quest, and got to play around with the Rift home... thing, so I guess it works. Is there a simple instruction set for playing SteamVR games on it?

Just add SteamVR to the Oculus library after turning "Unknown Sources" on in the settings (under "General")

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
anyone tried no mans sky through link? performance is godawful for me.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
That is likely just nms piss poor vr optimization

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
beatlabs or whatever, for the love of christ please stop breaking beat saber mods

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So does Oculus do winter sales for games?

Cause uh, I'm waiting.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rookersh posted:

So does Oculus do winter sales for games?

Cause uh, I'm waiting.

There's a sale section in the Rift store:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/section/1578364258944223

On the Quest, not much that I can find, easily at least.

In other news, Oculus sent me an email that my Link cable that was supposed to ship yesterday has been delayed by up 5 business days and they gave me a 20 dollar code that I can't redeem. :negative:

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
My review of H3VR Take & Hold.

Ok, how the gently caress do I load this gun? Pull back the bolt, put in the bullets, click the.... no, they just fell out. Slide the... it's not sliding. Ok, turn the bolt, slide it back, put in the bullets, gently caress. Let's try this with the other hand. Turn the bolt, slide it back, put in the bullets, push the bullets further in, slide the bolt, turn the bolt. Does this thing have a safety? Let's see... left touchpad, nothing. Top touchpad, I think I heard a click. BLAM. Ok, chamber another round and let's go find me some hotdogs to slay.

[2 minutes of running around hallways]

Ok, time to cap some motherfuckers. BLAMMO, haha that was sick. Ok, slide the bolt to chamber another round, click the trigger... gently caress, why is the bolt stuck back, I let go when it was forward. gently caress, they're shooting at me, slide the bolt.... and I'm dead.

[Respawn]

Ok, how the gently caress do I load this gun?

9/10

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thoom posted:

Ok, how the gently caress do I load this gun? Pull back the bolt, put in the bullets, click the.... no, they just fell out. Slide the... it's not sliding. Ok, turn the bolt, slide it back, put in the bullets, gently caress. Let's try this with the other hand. Turn the bolt, slide it back, put in the bullets, push the bullets further in, slide the bolt, turn the bolt. Does this thing have a safety? Let's see... left touchpad, nothing. Top touchpad, I think I heard a click. BLAM. Ok, chamber another round and let's go find me some hotdogs to slay.

Ok, time to cap some motherfuckers. BLAMMO, haha that was sick. Ok, slide the bolt to chamber another round, click the trigger... gently caress, why is the bolt stuck back, I let go when it was forward. gently caress, they're shooting at me, slide the bolt.... and I'm dead.

[Respawn]

9/10

Go to the blue points on your radar, they're where you can get/recycle weapons or get randomized alternate ammo. Maybe also spend some time in the firing range with some random guns, because you're gonna need to know how they all work to survive :v:.

Actually, out of curiosity for those with Knuckle controllers and H3VR; How much easier is it working a bolt-action rifle, and can you easily just grab and work the bolt with your trigger hand?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go to the blue points on your radar, they're where you can get/recycle weapons or get randomized alternate ammo. Maybe also spend some time in the firing range with some random guns, because you're gonna need to know how they all work to survive :v:.

Actually, out of curiosity for those with Knuckle controllers and H3VR; How much easier is it working a bolt-action rifle, and can you easily just grab and work the bolt with your trigger hand?

No difference to me. The Knuckles grip is functionally identical to the grip button on the Touch, as is generally the case in games beyond making hand gestures. Biggest advantage Knux has over Touch is that you can press quadrants of the touchpad for the various gun functions (similar to the Vive, for which the game was originally designed), instead of clicking in the Touch's stick.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

To help with learning guns, you can turn an empty hand towards you (as if opening the menu) and it will tell you what gun you’re holding in your other hand.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Fanatical offers the Star Trek game for Rift/Quest for $11. See here https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/ee86r8/star_trek_bridge_crew_only_1143_get_it_while_it/

Also, today's deal in the Quest store is Moss.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 23, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone else with an Index on SteamVR 1.9.15 and having issues with the base stations powering up and/or down properly?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone else with an Index on SteamVR 1.9.15 and having issues with the base stations powering up and/or down properly?
I haven't had it lately, but usually when that's loving up you just need to turn off and on base station power management. It happens occasionally

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I have a lighthouse 2.0 that turns off with the lights going completely out after about an hour or so when I'm not using VR, requiring a hard reboot to bring it back. It's pretty annoying not being able to keep the cables tucked away since I have to unplug and plug it back in every time I want to use it.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Turin Turambar posted:

Fanatical offers the Star Trek game for Rift/Quest for $11. See here https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/ee86r8/star_trek_bridge_crew_only_1143_get_it_while_it/

Also, today's deal is Moss.

Thanks! Missed the Ubisoft sale by hours so this is very appreciated.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Nabbed the star trek deal, is there a thread for it or a goon discord or w/e or am I exploring the galaxy with WeedCuckHilarySnipah420?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Leal posted:

Taking out the USB extender and now it works. This sucks though cause I was only able to find a 6 foot anker USB C to USB A cable. I can move my tower but even then 6 feet wont let me walk to the other side of my play area. And 6 feet wont allow for any slack on the floor, I'm 5'6". only 6 inches of that cable isn't going up my body. A single turn is gonna snap that cable.
Have you tried an active extension cable? eg https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9470

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Thoom posted:

[Respawn]

9/10

Have you been to the sampler or the range yet? H3vr is definitely a game you need to figure out the basics of the gun types before you try actually playing the game modes.

So, playing through boneworks sandbox mode. Playing with the gravity gun really makes me need a remake of elebits in my life.

Happyimp fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 23, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

My 8 year old nephew was loving around in H3VR over the summer, kids never seen a gun in real life and definitely has never touched one. His parents don't even allow him to play Call of Duty or anything. So he spawns some bolt action rifle, and just as I'm opening my mouth to explain how to load and rack it, in a single graceful movement he just loving does it and empties the clip.

I don't know how the heck he knew how to do that, but it is very fun to me watching people work guns in H3

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Unreal_One posted:

get an extension cord from home depot, strap your tower to your back, done

New thread title :pcgaming:

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

homeless snail posted:

My 8 year old nephew was loving around in H3VR over the summer, kids never seen a gun in real life and definitely has never touched one. His parents don't even allow him to play Call of Duty or anything. So he spawns some bolt action rifle, and just as I'm opening my mouth to explain how to load and rack it, in a single graceful movement he just loving does it and empties the clip.

I don't know how the heck he knew how to do that, but it is very fun to me watching people work guns in H3

American TV is all you need apparently

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's the most hosed up thing, he's Canadian

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

American TV is all you need apparently

Cultural osmosis

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lemming posted:

Haha for real? Jesus. The game is supposed to come out in 3 months, this is a bad time for lots of core mechanics to be temporary

It could also be old footage. You'd be surprised how often the footage that gets pumped out by publishing teams is like 6+ months old.

E: Oh man that was a really old post, mb

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Refunded Boneworks because the game was really just annoying me rather than fun. Had a few game breaking bugs, the final straw was when I died because I had dropped my gun instead of putting it in the slot (apparently), respawned way way earlier in the level without ANY weapons. Got past the grinder again, moved through the level, suddenly I get picked up and thrown into the grinder. OK, figure this is supposed to be part of the game, whatever it was unexpected but I can live with that, do the whole section again, this time bypassing the grabber. Welp, still have no weapons (guns or otherwise), fistfight is extremely clumsy and I get killed again. Decided I was not having any fun with this game.

Also bought Beat Saber and I really like it, although the curve is very steep and I am having trouble with the fading out arrows because when I get busy I have very little time to look at the arrows and on my Vive they take a bit to be properly discernible (especially when spinning). Had a lot of fun and immediately sunk an hour into it, but now at around level 11 (I think?) I'm actually struggling.

Also really intrigued by the Talos Principle, but only got as far as unlocking the surface, so I'll have to set aside some time to take a deep dive.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Beat Saber campaign mode is hot garbage.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

It was fun to start out doing to learn and get through some challenges until the levels that make you do poorly on purpose. Then after that they start having ones where you have to get perfect combos or no wrong swipes. Those aren't fun challenges.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Jack Trades posted:

Beat Saber campaign mode is hot garbage.

Thanks for the heads up, I liked the progression so far tho, introduced me to a lot of different mechanics and was fun without making me repeat anything more than twice, most things I got through on the first try.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The beat saber campaign is fun when it’s teaching you to actually play beat saber. Once it starts trying to “challenge” you, then it turns to garbage and that’s precisely the time you should install custom songs.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The beat saber campaign is fun when it’s teaching you to actually play beat saber. Once it starts trying to “challenge” you, then it turns to garbage and that’s precisely the time you should install custom songs.

Planing to do that anyway, what's the goto mod for that again?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Attention VR thread;

As you were.

I loving love these things already. :magical: Can someone link me where to get the palm raisers for them?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

Planing to do that anyway, what's the goto mod for that again?

Mod Assistant. It also has a custom campaign that's a billion times better.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Happyimp posted:

Have you been to the sampler or the range yet? H3vr is definitely a game you need to figure out the basics of the gun types before you try actually playing the game modes

Yeah, the first thing I did was go through the sampler. But there are enough guns that deviate from the basics of their archetype that that I still get tripped up.

My biggest problem is just fumbling to reload while under fire. Revolver Ocelot, I am not. Especially when the game doesn't think I let go of the bolt after I've chambered a round and ends up dragging it halfway back before I notice and have to do it all over again. My best so far is 1.5 holds, the one time I lucked into a semi-automatic pistol.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Ricky Dicky Random can actually be easier because sometimes you'll start with a goddamn minigun as your first drop.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

On that topic, how do you guys handle movement in that game? I am fine with using the left stick to remove and strafe, and the right stick to snap rotation 45 degrees at a time, or whatever. But it seems difficult to arrange all of that, while still having all the functions free to release and grab clips, and so on...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Armswinger and turning in place, for me. I don't really do stick turning ever in anything

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Chinook posted:

On that topic, how do you guys handle movement in that game? I am fine with using the left stick to remove and strafe, and the right stick to snap rotation 45 degrees at a time, or whatever. But it seems difficult to arrange all of that, while still having all the functions free to release and grab clips, and so on...
With the Index controllers: left stick for movement, turning physically in place. Right stick forward for sprint, right stick click for jump.

As this completely frees up the buttons I also rebind the A button to emulate a touchpad down click (drop mag for most guns), and the B button as a touchpad top right click (bolt release for rifles, quick bolt for bolt action guns, safety for handguns I think). As a bonus B also acts as a "grab laser" this way. Overall I find you're best served by moving as much functionality away from the touchpad, as it can in my experience be a bit unreliable in hectic situations. That reminds me, I can still use left/right on the right stick for something... hmm.

If you're on the Touch controllers then probably armswinger I guess? That way you only have to sacrifice one button for movement and can leave the sticks for gun interactivity. It's IMO inferior gameplay wise, but with fewer available controller inputs it's the far more practical choice for H3VR's complex interaction system.

E: That said, if you enable permasprint and use the left click for jump, you'd still have the right stick completely free for gun interaction. Might be worth a try.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 23, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I've played a decent amount of FSX with FlyInside, but that dude seems to be abandoning the mods for his own weird flight sim project. Anyone have anything to say about the native VR support in X-Plane or Aerofly?

I really just want to play Deadstick...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Thoom posted:

Yeah, the first thing I did was go through the sampler. But there are enough guns that deviate from the basics of their archetype that that I still get tripped up.

My biggest problem is just fumbling to reload while under fire. Revolver Ocelot, I am not. Especially when the game doesn't think I let go of the bolt after I've chambered a round and ends up dragging it halfway back before I notice and have to do it all over again. My best so far is 1.5 holds, the one time I lucked into a semi-automatic pistol.

Just keep repeating "there's nothing like slamming a long silver bullet into a well greased chamber" and you'll get there