Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

It's like living in a burrito.

Guac colored carpet is extra.

woah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I feel like you'd constantly be dusting particulate off of horizontal surfaces. Looks like hanging anything flat on a wall is a no-go too?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

(Portable hot stone sauna)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

peanut posted:

:Guillotine emoji:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
so what you just put this thing in any room, steam up some water on it, and then...

...your room is moist as heck and starts growing mildew on the window seals.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

peanut posted:

The purpose of the tissue box and the lotion is obvious. I'm lost as to the purpose of the timer, though.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheMadMilkman posted:

The purpose of the tissue box and the lotion is obvious. I'm lost as to the purpose of the timer, though.

mom doesnt shop for groceries all day

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

peanut posted:

So there is a heating system under the stone? Have any more info on this?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

TheMadMilkman posted:

It’s so they can tell you your hour is up.

Hopefully you have already orgasmed or you’ll have to pay double

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Interesting article: https://www.curbed.com/2019/12/19/21024424/interior-design-trends-2010-2019

I think I might be a philistine, because some of the maximalist designs linked towards the end look pretty minimalist to me :(

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
here's an aggressively boring but nostalgia provoking time capsule house c. early-mid 90s

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11201-River-Heights-Ln-Manassas-VA-20112/68968359_zpid/

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also i just found this one lmao

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9723-Thorn-Bush-Dr-Fairfax-Station-VA-22039/52841094_zpid/

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I like...the wood flooring

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Did you grow up in a mansion in the 90s where that is nostalgic? 90s nostalgia for me is the muddy brown and tan print velour sofa with country scenes on it and a battered RCA TV sitting in a "wood look" paneled cabinet with inexplicable industrial green carpet on the floor

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

White paint and oak trim is nostalgic of that period for me, but not the mansion version of it per se.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mutata posted:

White paint and oak trim is nostalgic of that period for me, but not the mansion version of it per se.

yeah. not houses this big exactly, but houses big enough to where they tended to have rooms that are just large empty white voids (which is my creation story)

this specific image to me is, like, i'm laying on that couch bored to tears while reading a wolfenstein 3d strategy guide while my folks are spending a sunday in the other room trying to help my aunt get over her divorce. when we showed up she was just compulsively vacuuming the spotless carpet while sobbing and the day hasn't gotten any better from there

"i know your cousin is younger than you and he's not very good at the nintendo but maybe you can let him beat you at the game? i'll buy mcdonalds on the way home"

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 21, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

So there is a heating system under the stone? Have any more info on this?

Ganbanyoku is a dry hot stone. You lie on it and sweat. Here's some action shots in a significantly less creepy setup.
https://www.suruganoyu.co.jp/%E5%B2%A9%E7%9B%A4%E6%B5%B4%E3%81%AE%E3%81%94%E7%B4%B9%E4%BB%8B/

And I'll share my town's biggest facility, to tickle the algorithm.
https://besshi.com/onsen/

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
90s nostalgia for me is brown carpets and nicotine stained walls

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oak and brass and brass and oak.

And some Hunter Green.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Snowy posted:

I used to do Tiffany style leaded glass work and would love to live vicariously through a thread if one existed

The fiance loves the lamps, though we haven't found one we want to actually try and pull off, though.

Any idea how hard is it to find a reputable place or person to re-do the soldering on one? Inherited an early 1900s original from my grandmother, though it's some other new england brand, not a Tiffany

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Dark green velvet sofas seem to be in right now and it is terrible

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Snowy posted:

I used to do Tiffany style leaded glass work and would love to live vicariously through a thread if one existed

Wow. I tend to do Arts & Crafts style (mostly panels), although I have the glass and patterns for a couple of Tiffany style shades that I haven't had the time/energy/nerve to tackle yet. I'm just hobbyist level, but I'll think about what should go into an OP and maybe gin one up if one doesn't already exist.

Nosre posted:

The fiance loves the lamps, though we haven't found one we want to actually try and pull off, though.

Any idea how hard is it to find a reputable place or person to re-do the soldering on one? Inherited an early 1900s original from my grandmother, though it's some other new england brand, not a Tiffany

A lot of stained glass shops in my area don't do repairs anymore - too much risk, and it can be hard to match vintage glass, but if you want to find someone locally, checking with a few shops in your region might get you some recommendations for restorers/repairers. Ideally, more than one shop would mention the same person.

If you don't have shops nearby, you might try calling Warner Art Glass. AFAIK they don't do restorations, but they're always so helpful that I'm betting they would be able to tell you how to find someone.

If you are in North America, you could also check the listings of studios on the Stained Glass Association of America's website. Many of the studios that list there specify whether they do restorations.

One other thought - for a 100+ year old piece, it might be well worth your while to get it appraised before taking it anywhere for restoration, and a certified appraiser should also be able to point you toward good restorers.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

TofuDiva posted:

A lot of stained glass shops in my area don't do repairs anymore - too much risk, and it can be hard to match vintage glass, but if you want to find someone locally, checking with a few shops in your region might get you some recommendations for restorers/repairers. Ideally, more than one shop would mention the same person.

If you don't have shops nearby, you might try calling Warner Art Glass. AFAIK they don't do restorations, but they're always so helpful that I'm betting they would be able to tell you how to find someone.

If you are in North America, you could also check the listings of studios on the Stained Glass Association of America's website. Many of the studios that list there specify whether they do restorations.

One other thought - for a 100+ year old piece, it might be well worth your while to get it appraised before taking it anywhere for restoration, and a certified appraiser should also be able to point you toward good restorers.

Great points, thank you. I think it would be a pretty easy repair, because the glass is all fine, there's just one 'column' of solder peeling up/off (not sure the right terms)

Unfortunately I don't have pictures, because I'm in europe and it's at my mom's house in New England. I'll keep this stuff in mind when we tackle it, though!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Dark green velvet sofas seem to be in right now and it is terrible

Every time I see one of these I think they must be really hard to clean - are they?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

As an owner of a dark blue velvet sofa, not really. I vacuum it with the upholstery attachment once a month.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Goober Peas posted:

As an owner of a dark blue velvet sofa, not really. I vacuum it with the upholstery attachment once a month.

What about semen and Nutella stains

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
i too cum nutella

why do u think they call it a nut?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Badger of Basra posted:

Interesting article: https://www.curbed.com/2019/12/19/21024424/interior-design-trends-2010-2019

I think I might be a philistine, because some of the maximalist designs linked towards the end look pretty minimalist to me :(

eclecticism does not inherently mean maximalism

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

eclecticism does not inherently mean maximalism

Thank you. I really though the photos on those two should have been switched. But I guess that kind of slipping towards meaninglessness is also en vogue. I found a blog that called itself all-things-boho and then all the pictures were of white rooms with maybe one or two textural items.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
eclecticism is 'what if I had a bunch of clashing colors / patterns / silhouettes', maximalism is 'what if I had a bunch of everything, covering every surface and stuffed to the brim', though the maximalist / eclectic overlap is large

eclecticism:

maximalism:

also, on the subject of maximalism, maximalism is a specific design intent, not a consequence of having too much poo poo. if you have too much poo poo you're not a maximalist, you're a hoarder. maximalism is probably one of the most difficult designs to pull off and look normal, I'd say harder than minimalism

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

PRADA SLUT posted:

also, on the subject of maximalism, maximalism is a specific design intent, not a consequence of having too much poo poo. if you have too much poo poo you're not a maximalist, you're a hoarder. maximalism is probably one of the most difficult designs to pull off and look normal, I'd say harder than minimalism

Maximalism seems difficult because it requires having a very keen aesthetic sense, knowing why what you have works individually and together. Lots of people can barely figure out why two colors look good adjacent to one another, let alone a hundred objects of varying pattern and texture.

I actually know one guy who fancies himself a "maximalist" and their apartment is full of old toys and display shelves. It looks garish and clashing, because there's not really anything unifying to it. If he had picked, say, only those toys which displayed primary colors and extended that theme to other decorative objects, furnishings, and drapery I could have seen it. But no, it was a room full of arguing toys and shelves.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bit like having a quintet play in time and tune vs an orchestra.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Oh man I really like that green rug in the eclectic room.

And thanks for the educational posts!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

i'm the boob pillow btw

Have posted this yet? Villa Chameleon, Bali, Indonesia by Word of Mouth Architecture (Valentina Audrito) | Photos by Daniel Koh

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
AI robot girlfriend who passed the Turing test is definitely going to murder you in that house.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

falz posted:

AI robot girlfriend

sold

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

falz posted:

AI robot girlfriend who passed the Turing test is definitely going to murder you in that house.

Norway doesn’t have palms.

This contrasts with your girlfriend, who is one.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Now hang on. What if this AI robot girl friend... was the... HOUSE ITSELF?!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Platystemon posted:

Norway doesn’t have palms.

This contrasts with your girlfriend, who is one.

:master:

In more than one way...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

value-brand cereal posted:

Now hang on. What if this AI robot girl friend... was the... HOUSE ITSELF?!

Every wall would have an AI controlled fleshlight embedded in it.