Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

That's because whatshisname is ressurecting him. It's the boy who does it, not Wolf.
The trouble is what this process inflicts on those around you - like, say, being a vector for a plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

RareAcumen posted:

I mean the dragonrot system life steal.

Yes, the one that only activates from you dying a bunch instead of, presumably, killing enemies. The mechanics are all of a piece telling the same story. The enemies don't get dragonrot because dragonrot is the result of wolf's resurrections stealing someone's life force, and you're already doing that to them in the course of normal gameplay.

Edit: And also obviously Dragonrot wouldn't mean much to you if it just affected Gunner #3 whose only interaction is to get jump deathblowed at the 20 minute mark.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 16, 2019

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

There's more than one way to skin a ghost and drat a friend's soul.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Shura is an abbreviation of Asura (or Ashura) from Buddhism but it's also its own word meaning violence/carnage. So there's a bit of a double meaning to the sculptor dreaming of Shura.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I had absolutely no idea Snap Seeds do that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

anilEhilated posted:

I had absolutely no idea Snap Seeds do that.

Me neither.

Thorn insists that fight with the Corrupted Monk is pretty easy; on my own first playthrough I completely failed to beat her until I stunlocked her 100-50ish with pocket sand and exploding pocket sand. (Not the deathblow... exploit?... that Thorn showed, just attacking while she flinched.)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The corrupted Monk is 'HEY rear end in a top hat DO YOU KNOW ABOUT HP AND POSTURE REGEN" the boss.
Her posture regen is insanely high but drops off like a rock once you get some good hits in. She doesnt take a lot of damage from deflecting unlike a lot of other enemies so you are forced to find ways to do damage.

As far as I can tell Posture regen isnt a sliding scale but there are hard points where it gets less, it first goes yellow where its slower, then orange, even slower, then red where it barely regens or doesnt at all.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The thing about that is, even being halfway through NG+1, I don't really recognize the difference! The goal's to break posture either way, but whether I have to drain Vitality first or not my response is the same: get swingin' and deflectin'

Probably that's why Corrupted Monk was so rough - I don't know what moves are reliable for hitting Vitality besides the dodge-counter. (And fire/poison where applicable)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 22, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The monk being susceptible to pocket sand and firecrackers is part of why she's easy, since you can pretty much flinch her on command until you run out of stuff. And that makes hitting her vitality easier.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ciaphas posted:

The thing about that is, even being halfway through NG+1, I don't really recognize the difference! The goal's to break posture either way, but whether I have to drain Vitality first or not my response is the same: get swingin' and deflectin'

It makes a difference on knowing when to push forwards or baiting easier/more rewarding attack patterns through positioning.

Theres bosses like Lady Butterfly where infinite aggression is a viable tactic but that stops being a perfect tactic quickly.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
There’s a difference between illusionary enemies (the Corrupted Monk and enemies created by Lady Butterfly and the Mist Noble) and apparition enemies (Pretty much every other spooky thing).

There are four versions of the red lump, Jinzaemon and Kotaro’s have generic names but different texts mentioning who they came from. One fun thing about items that are the same as other items except for their name and flavor text is that they’re stored in your inventory separately from the generic version. This means you can use that item more per life. But fact that you get them once per play through means you want to be very careful with them. No one really likes the Red Lump, but there is another type of item that I used to put myself over the edge on tough bosses that I was close to beating.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuh. @ NPCs being invincible

That is contrary to the Souls games, and even Bloodborne.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

KieranWalker posted:

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuh. @ NPCs being invincible

That is contrary to the Souls games, and even Bloodborne.

Well, a lot of this game feels like the design direction was "screw precedent or anybody's expectations, we are going to do this exactly as we want to".

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
This game pretty much has to make story critical NPCs invincible. Imagine if you could kill Lord Kuro. Sidequest only NPCs would have been a fair game, except making them vulnerable can potentially spoil who's important and who's not. It's probably easiest to just make everyone invincible until the story is ready for you to fight them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You might also want to consider that there is very little reason to murder any of the NPCs we have ran into so far - there are no weapon or armor drops and if the creepy crazy doctor seems untrustworthy to, you can just decide to not send anyone to him.

I mean, is there a need for vulnerable NPCs?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Except Thorn did murder the creepy doctor when he was outside the room on his Nicenobi run as I remember it.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
The game prevents you from attacking near plot-critical NPCs- you automatically sheathe your sword and can't use any of your combat abilities (including dodging or running). Invincible NPCs do have precedent in the Souls games, though- a bunch of NPCs are immortal and will get back up if you kill them, including Ludleth, the Firekeeper, Gael, and so on, going back to the Maiden in Black and the Monumental from Demon's.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dire Lemming posted:

I watched a clip of a Japanese streamer running through NG+ with the English voice acting. He kept dying to Gyobu because he was laughing too hard at "MY NAME IS GYOBU MASATAKA ONIWAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

Yeah, I don't know anything about this game other than the giant snake and this guy screaming his lungs out in English. :allears:

DoctorChowder
Sep 17, 2016

Dire Lemming posted:

I watched a clip of a Japanese streamer running through NG+ with the English voice acting. He kept dying to Gyobu because he was laughing too hard at "MY NAME IS GYOBU MASATAKA ONIWAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

You have a link for that? It would be hilarious to see it

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time to scale the castle and rescue Kuro, and have our rematch with Genichiro. WOOOOOOOOOOOO

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Genichiro really feels like the Gascoigne of the game to me, much more than Gyoubu or Lady Butterfly.

If you've gotten this far and the game has still yet to 'click' for you, then Gen will utterly wreck your poo poo, over and over and over.

However, if you DO know what you're doing it becomes a fairly easy fight..... or maybe it's just 'cause I've fought him so many times by now that I recognize all his tells.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know it's very a very easy and simple joke to make but god could you imagine how obnoxious games would be if AI had normal human senses? People making regular check ins on all the sectors, getting spotted the second you come up a hill and everyone screaming and alerting the entire base, launching an attack on one person and drawing in a bunch more of his allies, it'd be the worst.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
Eels do, in fact, have livers!

This website shows what they look like cooked up: https://kyotofoodie.com/unagi-kimo-eel-liver/

Not a huge fan of liver, but it's supposed to taste like chicken liver, so maybe better than beef liver?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope I'm not repeating myself.

I wish this game had a weaboo mode so the Kanji was just an illustration for if someone's doing a thrust or sweep attack or whatever the warning was going to be.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

RareAcumen posted:

I know it's very a very easy and simple joke to make but god could you imagine how obnoxious games would be if AI had normal human senses? People making regular check ins on all the sectors, getting spotted the second you come up a hill and everyone screaming and alerting the entire base, launching an attack on one person and drawing in a bunch more of his allies, it'd be the worst.

Pretty sure you can turn all the AI senses in MGSV up to max with a mod which gives them realistic sense of hearing and vision.

It probably isnt fun but in a game like MGSV where missions are only restricted by the players creativity, it might be interesting.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That video really makes Genichiro look a lot easier than he is. When you're actually playing for the first time and struggling with learning how to dodge and counter him, that third phase out of nowhere is a massive dick move, especially since this is the first time you encounter the gimmick he uses.

e: Still, it's a great example of how Sekiro does (most) bossfights - utterly impossible-seeming at first but ultimately fair and feeling utterly awesome when you finally nail the bastard.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 29, 2019

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RareAcumen posted:

I hope I'm not repeating myself.

I wish this game had a weaboo mode so the Kanji was just an illustration for if someone's doing a thrust or sweep attack or whatever the warning was going to be.

The warning is literally just danger afaik. The kanji doesn’t change at all for each attack type. It’s just a big red cannot block next attack sign basically. Being unable to read the sign doesn’t change your ability to perceive what the game is communicating, it just makes it a little more visually confusing/distracting.

Also Genechiro has a really easy pattern lock you can do when fighting both forms if you stay aggressive. He will block 2 attacks and then always parry the third, after which he only has 4 follow up attacks and all of them have really obvious tell.

So the “optimal” strategy is to just do that, hit him until he parried (big orange flash) counter his response and then return to hitting him for next round. This is actually a pretty good strategy in general for Sekiro sized bosses like Genechiro. As far as the Miniboss beneath him, the trick is watch for the sheathe flash, and then parry twice. No need to even block and you’ll get him every time without really needing the same level of twitch reflex.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 30, 2019

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
You can also use a couple shinobi tools on that mini boss that makes it even easier, both of which are hiding around Ashina Castle.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

The warning is literally just danger afaik. The kanji doesn’t change at all for each attack type. It’s just a big red cannot block next attack sign basically. Being unable to read the sign doesn’t change your ability to perceive what the game is communicating, it just makes it a little more visually confusing/distracting.

Oh, I totally thought there were two of them.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Genichiro isn't looking too hot. Has it really only been two years since we fought :confused:

Maybe Wolf should lay off the "rejuvenating waters", yeesh

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i love and loathe those goddamn kite tengu in equal measure

they scared the poo poo out of me the first time, and killed me once more before I worked out how to get by, but you gotta respect the sheer chutzpah involved

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also Genechiro has a really easy pattern lock you can do when fighting both forms if you stay aggressive. He will block 2 attacks and then always parry the third, after which he only has 4 follow up attacks and all of them have really obvious tell.

So the “optimal” strategy is to just do that, hit him until he parried (big orange flash) counted his response and then return to hitting him for next round. This is actually a pretty good strategy in general for Sekiro sized bosses like Genechiro. As far as the Miniboss beneath him, the trick is watch for the sheathe flash, and then parry twice. No need to even block and you’ll get him every time without really needing the same level of twitch reflex.

Since we've seen Big G, I can bring up the Dark Souls <-> Sekiro boss spectrum.

"DS-style" bosses are usually big-rear end doofs with huge slow sweeping attacks, and you can (but don't have to) fight them the Dark Souls way: stay safely out of their reach, watch what they do until they start a slow attack, then dive in, smack them a few times while they recover, and run back out. The Blazing Bull was very much a DS-style boss, for instance.

Genichiro, however, is the first real "Sekiro-style" boss. If you dither around letting him do as he pleases, he'll take you apart. Instead, the easiest and safest approach is like Lord Magmar says: go full aggro, get in his face and never give him a second to breathe. S-style bosses are usually just Guys with Swords.

Of course a lot of bosses are at various places in the middle. Just an interesting pattern to watch for.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'm getting caught up with videos after a week on vacation.

You talk about having a fighting game with Sekiro or Souls-like mechanics; isn't that the conceit behind For Honor?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Genechiro is about where I realised there isn’t. Because the lightning attacks are also perilous with the big sign, and nothing like sweeps or thrusts as far as player response.

Also having just fought new game 4+ Blazing Bull with Bell Demon and No Charm it can also be beaten with aggression. Just have to parry the bull charge and then alternate swings dodges and firecrackers until it backs up for another charge.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

DoctorChowder posted:

You have a link for that? It would be hilarious to see it

Unfortunately no, I just saw the clip played on another stream so I haven't been able to find it since.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

There's actually four types of DANGER attacks: thrust (dodge/mikiri counter), sweep (dodge/jump counter), grab (get the hell away) and lightning (lightning deflection).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

There's actually four types of DANGER attacks: thrust (dodge/mikiri counter), sweep (dodge/jump counter), grab (get the hell away) and lightning (lightning deflection).

And associated other stuff that is also Perilous but one-off. The only hard/fast rule for it is that a perilous attack is something that cannot be blocked at all.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

There are exceptions: You can deflect the snake-eyes grab move, and a future boss also has a sweep-grab that can be avoided by jump kicking in place

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 30, 2019

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I don't have any actual evidence for this, but I have a sinking fear that Kuro is going to end up betraying us. I *really* don't want him to, and I don't think he actually *will* do it, but the nervousness is there anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah the big strat to gen is just bully him. He will end up trying to dodge away from you with now attacks which is just an opportunity to hit him some more. The deflection timing for his flurry attack is also surprisingly easy and fills up his posture meter quickly.

Bellmaker posted:

Genichiro isn't looking too hot. Has it really only been two years since we fought :confused:

Maybe Wolf should lay off the "rejuvenating waters", yeesh

The fight with wolf was like the day before. He looks hosed up because his special move involves holding lightning and he lives in a time of near constant war.