Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Anyone have build order recommendations for facilities in LWotc?

Just make sure to plop down a GWS and the covert ops building as fast as possible. You need to get the 5th soldier on missions asap, and the free stuff from the covert ops. After that, you probably want an infirmary asap for rehabbing soldiers, unless you are willing to sit around on the templar base, which you could skip for a proving ground for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Vincent posted:

I didn't particularly liked the items.
I might be biased (read: salty) because of the whole kinda-sorta replaced vipers in my game.

Does Christopher Odd post his character pool somewhere? The characters people send him look very fun.

I'm just annoyed that none of the Scottish soldiers in his vids use the Scottish voice from the International Voice Pack mod.

:ssh: 'Cause that one is me.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
The Twitter of Jake Solomon is:

quote:

Designer of XCOM, XCOM 2, and...

I would imagine that they wanted to wait until Phoenix Point is out, and see how the players react to new features like manual aiming etc. If they had revealed XCOM 3 at E3 or the Game Awards and suddenly don't have the next big thing in their game it might cause issues with development.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Moola posted:

it's this btw, this game is a MESS under the hood.

You just described all software

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

lagidnam posted:

I would imagine that they wanted to wait until Phoenix Point is out, and see how the players react to new features like manual aiming etc. If they had revealed XCOM 3 at E3 or the Game Awards and suddenly don't have the next big thing in their game it might cause issues with development.

Can someone explain the appeal of manual aiming? Is it just, like, cooler? Does it actually add anything good to the game? Is the ability to destroy obstacles on demand with almost any weapon make the game better?

Like, there are so many baffling PP decisions I just can't understand. Who wants to fiddle with assigning ammo to individual squad mates? I mean, I'm sure some people find it fun, but what does it really add to the game itself?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

jakes unannounced game is xcorn

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Captain Foo posted:

this is true of all games tho

Some games hide it better than others

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Can someone explain the appeal of manual aiming? Is it just, like, cooler? Does it actually add anything good to the game? Is the ability to destroy obstacles on demand with almost any weapon make the game better?

Like, there are so many baffling PP decisions I just can't understand. Who wants to fiddle with assigning ammo to individual squad mates? I mean, I'm sure some people find it fun, but what does it really add to the game itself?

I haven't played the game, but I watched a couple episodes of a lp from someone who was using it often.

There are three different things he would do with the manual aiming. The main one is he would shoot body parts with less armor or with special abilities that he wanted to disable. The giant crab thing that shoots worms or bombs every turn had a really easy to hit part that did that, without it they were pretty much useless.

The second one is he would line up shots to try and hit multiple enemies with the heavy cannon. It had enough damage that he could shoot through one alien, and then hit one behind it.

The last thing was just for blowing up cover, sometimes with it lined up to hit an alien halfway across the map at the same time.

The individual ammo and grenade tracking thing looks extremely obnoxious though. I don't miss that from the original xcom games, and was so happy when they changed it to just taking an action to reload in the new ones.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Rather than free aim why not just have a VATS system with percentages like in Fallout? Phoenix Point's manual aiming was bogged down by cycling animations and such.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Taffer posted:

You just described all software

go and take a look at the SDK and check it out yourself

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Olive Branch posted:

Rather than free aim why not just have a VATS system with percentages like in Fallout? Phoenix Point's manual aiming was bogged down by cycling animations and such.

VATS would be a good system, especially if it was also limited by some kind of resource. Part of why free aim was bad in Pheonix Point was because it was always better than taking a normal shot. That really slowed down the pace of combat.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Wait wait wait, I've not looked at PP since their trailer last year or so, but back then there was a thing like VATS where you could target various body parts, with the corresponding aim%. What are they doing now, instead? You aim like a fps game and guess what which polygons are weak spots?

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's an idea that sounds neat at first glance and adds some tactical elements but any designer worth his/her salt would've gone "hey, this is incredibly unfun to use constantly" within 10 minutes. That coupled with having to wait for specific animations so you can hit the body part you want in some situations is just mindboggling.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Free aim was cool and good in the valkyria chronicles series. Maybe it was that there was more genre blurring there?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also very obvious things you would imagine to be good are actually not good. If you're solely trying to kill an enemy (which is most times) you would think headshots are where it's at, but being shot in the head does as much damage as being shot in the foot. Hell, the legs are often less armored than the head, so you do more damage with a foot shot! Disabling the feet even tends to give a better bonus since alien will is often very high even with loadouts specced at reducing it.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Some games hide it better than others

Probably not the ones that release so much of their code for modders to comb through, though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Being fair foot shots are how I broke the prologue of Deliverance Kingdom Come in half so I can jive with foot shots being superior a lot of times. But all the time? that’s a bit weird

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

FoolyCharged posted:

Free aim was cool and good in the valkyria chronicles series. Maybe it was that there was more genre blurring there?

That's what I was thinking about. It works pretty well and is satisfying to use, but it also goes hand in hand with manually marching your soldiers, timing a break for when the enemy is reloading, etc. It might be annoying if you're not already that involved with your character's action.

It's way different to choose to vault over a wall, than click a square and watch your dude climb up three unnecessary pipes and jump down through some glass somewhere.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I mean, I've never played Phoenix Point, but to my knowledge, it's not even a new system. From what I recall, Valkyria Chronicles had free aiming, though unless you were a sniper or going up against enemies with obvious weak points, it was mostly just a fancy way to to pick a target

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

it was only relevant for shooting tanks with the scout, the unit that broke the intended rock paper scissors thing they were going for

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cpt_Obvious posted:

No and you can't actually just shoot at anything, if there's no target the button isn't active to confirm the shot. Unless that's a bug, anyway.

I wasn't really impressed by PP. I still have it installed but I doubt I'll play it. It was nice to try it on Game Pass though.

TheLoneAmigo
Jan 3, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

No and you can't actually just shoot at anything, if there's no target the button isn't active to confirm the shot. Unless that's a bug, anyway.

You can - just press spacebar.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheLoneAmigo posted:

You can - just press spacebar.

That wasn't working so I guess it was just a bug!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

For anyone using the extract corpses mod WOTC: Do I need to do anything to the .ini to use the fulton harness? The description in the mod isn't very clear if I have to do something or if it's automatically there in the game with the mod.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 26, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vincent posted:

For anyone using the extract corpses mod WOTC: Do I need to do anything to the .ini to use the fulton harness? The description in the mod isn't very clear if I have to do something or if it's automatically there in the game with the mod.

No they'll be available to build with no fuss

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Zore posted:

No they'll be available to build with no fuss

Nice. Thanks.
Time to start my almost fully modded run, since I got a squad wipe on one of those Chosen with a Big Gun missions.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I got this game in the steam sale. Lost 4 soldiers on a mission, felt bad man

I've unlocked 6 man squads and was trying the chosen assassin stronghold, and got owned. Any tips for class composition, what level of soldier/weaponry/whatever I should be attempting it at

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

mila kunis posted:

I've unlocked 6 man squads and was trying the chosen assassin stronghold, and got owned. Any tips for class composition, what level of soldier/weaponry/whatever I should be attempting it at

Which part did you have trouble with, the initial fight in the chosen base or the second part where you fight the chosen.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

reignofevil posted:

Which part did you have trouble with, the initial fight in the chosen base or the second part where you fight the chosen.

The last fight before the platform to get to the chosen. I faced a pack with 3 codexes and an andromedon. I was pretty lit up before then and used a bunch of items as well

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 27, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think by the time most people choose to take on the chosen, 3 codexes and an andromedon are not a big deal.

What tech do you have?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mila kunis posted:

rushing to magnetic weapons is pretty good for doing early game stuff, and slapping a magnetic rifle on a ranger is way better than a base shotgun. there are actually arguments for slapping assault rifles on rangers in general but maybe that's more advanced stuff. composition wise all of the classes are pretty good but early game sharpshooters are more limited in their use i think. sharpshooters are extremely great on any lost mission. as a vague rule of thumb every grenadier and ranger you can bring will ease your burden early. grenades are guaranteed damage, and while they blow up loot its better than losing a soldier or getting shot typically. grenadiers can launch grenades from much, much further away, so that's quite good. the sword is very strong early and gets bonus damage against aliens, and the shotgun is pretty strong despite what i said about sometimes giving rangers rifles. plus their mobility is quite good.

all three hero classes are quite strong, the reaper is probably the easiest to use because their scouting and mobility are both extremely strong and the claymore is honestly pretty broken

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Chosen assassin is a lot easier with mind shields in my experience.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

Chosen assassin is a lot easier with mind shields in my experience.

All of the chosen are a lot easier with mind shields. Also bring a faction soldier of the kind that particular chosen is weak to.

e: 3 codexes and an andromedon are still a hard pod. Obviously it depends, but the key thing in that fight is to make sure you don't trigger all three codex clones at once.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 27, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's a "hard pod" in that you'd consider using a consumable to shred the andromedon's armour, I guess.

But even without faction soldiers you could easily use a ranger -> kill one codex, three other soldiers kill a second one (one shoots it, the other two finish off the clones), and anyone left over softens up the andromedon. Ranger Untouchable-tanks the andromedon, the remaining codex wastes its turn using its disable on a couple of your soldiers, then you mop up next turn.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Mila do you put the shred promotion on your grenadiers? That's a big help in chopping through andromedons. Honestly I'd consider tanking the andro down till at least robot-form (since then it can only punch), and then even if all three codexes are alive you have no ammo and just took two kinda weak shots

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Shredding armor is crucial, but when you’re in the early game with your heavies and you haven’t come across any armor it doesn’t seem important.

Until you’ve got a dark event giving all ADVENT units +1 armor, on top of whatever else they’ve already got :v:

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Is this game still being updated or have they moved on to other things?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

rabidsquid posted:

early game sharpshooters are more limited in their use i think. sharpshooters are extremely great on any lost mission.

Give sharpshooters blue screen rounds as soon as possible - ammo works with their pistols.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

FoolyCharged posted:

Valkyria doesn't really function as a tactical game. It's not a great muse.

Valkyria gets away with it by being easy to the point where it doesn’t matter. If your positioning or aiming consistently mattered down to the tiniest level, it would be frustrating. As the game is, you just run up to people and then aim at their heads. Also, enemies in defensive positions in valkyria just take less damage. Defended enemies in phoenix point are basically the same as undefended ones, except you have to wait for the animation where he pokes his head out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ulmont posted:

Give sharpshooters blue screen rounds as soon as possible - ammo works with their pistols.

you have no way to get blue screen rounds on purpose in early game, by the time you're equipping ammo sharpshooters should be more than fine either way