Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
numeracy
This poll is closed.
s*x n*mb*r 69 0.22%
w@@d n_mb_r 420 1.34%
Jeb! number 538 1.72%
Biden numbr 30330 96.72%
Total: 31357 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Sober, serious, pundit who reads other sober, serious pundits and Franzen and the entire wsj editorial page daily:
Climate Change is a threat, sure, but we have to be careful how we frame our response to it with respect to the strong innovation dynamics of the American economy and our institutional mores

18-year-old SoundCloud rapper who rhymes 'senpai' with 'hentai' several times on the same album:
Ayo wheres climate stalin at lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

loquacius posted:

I'm worried that we as a society are addicted to air travel, and effectively banning it would be the only way to actually spur investment in modern rail systems but would cause a lot of short-term pain the meantime

that said, just fucken do it jesus H rip the fuckin band-aid off and build the fuckin bullet trains already CHRIST

iirc everything was fine for 3 days or so when zero commercial flights happened after 9/11... and we've had 19 years worth of video conferencing improvements since then

there have been a few studies about its effects which indicated that the temperature range increases https://globalnews.ca/news/2934513/empty-skies-after-911-set-the-stage-for-an-unlikely-climate-change-experiment/amp/

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

loquacius posted:

I'm curious who these people think of as the center that they hate as much as the left and right

they dont hate them, they are centrists but are either trying to distance themselves from centrists getting dunked on constantly or worried about not appearing woke/progressive

so basically just i_read_nyt.politico.slate.jpg

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pitch an air travel tightening as a pro worker reform in that now your boss has to either let you telecommute like would be perfectly reasonable or give you like 2 weeks out of the office to go on a fun train voyage across the country

Like back in the day people used to just gently caress off for like months at a time because that's what traveling to Europe meant lol

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

loquacius posted:

I'm curious who these people think of as the center that they hate as much as the left and right

I’m guessing they’re partisans who see “center” as not an international political center but between Republican and Democrat?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

99% of business travel probably could be replaced by a 15 dollar a month Zoom subscription lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Breakfast All Day posted:

they dont hate them, they are centrists but are either trying to distance themselves from centrists getting dunked on constantly or worried about not appearing woke/progressive

kingcobweb posted:

I’m guessing they’re partisans who see “center” as not an international political center but between Republican and Democrat?

even then it doesn't make sense that they call the center stupid but the center-right smart

Like, it could make sense as a Warrenite meme (Sanders dumb, Warren smart, Buttigieg/Biden dumb) up until the point where they're calling, like, Mitt Romney smart

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

99% of business travel probably could be replaced by a 15 dollar a month Zoom subscription lol

abolish conferences

edit: like in person business conferences people travel for. not conference calls

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Lastgirl posted:

im coyote petersen and this is "reading d&d" challenge

im going to take this post, and im going to read it and process it into my mind, we don't know how much pain it will inflict on the sting index *exhales sharply in anticipation*

ok im going to take the glasses and click on the post. hmm it's not setting in, i can't see it. I will have to use the forceps and put it on my eyes to fully see the post and hopefully the post can interact with my stimuli.

DAHHH

OOOOOOOH OHMIGOSH OH MY GOSH DAAAHH

its like a white hot radiating pain coming from my ocular area

AAAAAAAAAAGH

dAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGH

the Vitreous Jelly in my eye sockets are literally melting, its so hot, feel that mario, do you feel how hot my eyeballs are right now?

mario: oh wow yer super hot dude

AGAAAAAAAAAAGH DDHHGHNN VNNNNNNGH its coming in waves now, multiple waves *pants out of breath* of hot white radiating pain, its like someone took a hot poker to my eyes repeatedly

ok well that was the reading d&d challenge, *out of breath, sweating* im coyote petersen *chuckles* be brave *difficulty swallowing* stay wild *grunts in severe pain*

I am incredibly pissed about BG2's month loving long probation with that idiot reason and the fact I can't go make a qcs thread about it because they can't man up and permaban FYAD posters isn't helping

I mean who am I going to mail about this, LAB gets overridden constantly, Jeff's hands are tied by ~lack of quorum~, Smythe is ... smythe and we don't know who else is in there

It looks like it got reduced to two weeks? Maybe? But PPJ is insanely stupid and petty and he's never gonna be de-modded until he starts ranting about killing trans people or something

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lastgirl posted:

im coyote petersen and this is "reading d&d" challenge

im going to take this post, and im going to read it and process it into my mind, we don't know how much pain it will inflict on the sting index *exhales sharply in anticipation*

ok im going to take the glasses and click on the post. hmm it's not setting in, i can't see it. I will have to use the forceps and put it on my eyes to fully see the post and hopefully the post can interact with my stimuli.

DAHHH

OOOOOOOH OHMIGOSH OH MY GOSH DAAAHH

its like a white hot radiating pain coming from my ocular area

AAAAAAAAAAGH

dAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGH

the Vitreous Jelly in my eye sockets are literally melting, its so hot, feel that mario, do you feel how hot my eyeballs are right now?

mario: oh wow yer super hot dude

AGAAAAAAAAAAGH DDHHGHNN VNNNNNNGH its coming in waves now, multiple waves *pants out of breath* of hot white radiating pain, its like someone took a hot poker to my eyes repeatedly

ok well that was the reading d&d challenge, *out of breath, sweating* im coyote petersen *chuckles* be brave *difficulty swallowing* stay wild *grunts in severe pain*

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kingcobweb posted:

who is AGAINST super fast trains?? they’re cool, they’d help ~business~, they’re necessary for climate reasons, they’d create a shitload of jobs to build them, and we were able to make fuckin railroads across the country literal hundreds of years ago jesus christ

Liberals hate it. I went on a date once with a liberal from the mainland who absolutely loathed the PRC's high speed rail network because the trains were run by the government and most of the routes didn't turn a profit

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

kingcobweb posted:

abolish conferences

edit: like in person business conferences people travel for. not conference calls

including academic conferences imo

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

just abolish humans

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

loquacius posted:

even then it doesn't make sense that they call the center stupid but the center-right smart

Like, it could make sense as a Warrenite meme (Sanders dumb, Warren smart, Buttigieg/Biden dumb) up until the point where they're calling, like, Mitt Romney smart

theyre just pmc who fetishize the political class and process. think they guy whos talking about how he'll tell his kids about merry impeachment day while also posting a page long tribute to mccain when he died because of his aisle reacharounds

ie just centrists with some extra weighting on the decorum/news consumption poo poo so are willing to give up the triangulation argument occasionally because they care so little about policy

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tetracube posted:

iirc the meme started with "shut the gently caress up liberal", then became "shut the gently caress up boomer", and then evolved into the shorter "ok boomer", now you're taking it full circle with "ok lib"

I've moved on to "ok republican".

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Epic High Five posted:

Like back in the day [rich] people used to just gently caress off for like months at a time because that's what traveling to Europe meant lol

really only the wealthy use to do this since everyone else was a wage slave that couldn't afford to take any time off

that said teleconferencing is awesome as poo poo and one of the many reasons why i chose to work at the place i do is because they embrace the poo poo out of it

i fully plan on only coming into the office 2-3 days a week once i hit my 3 year mark since that's the point where corporate considers any employee eligible for telecommuting for more than just emergencies

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gringostar posted:

really only the wealthy use to do this since everyone else was a wage slave that couldn't afford to take any time off

that said teleconferencing is awesome as poo poo and one of the many reasons why i chose to work at the place i do is because they embrace the poo poo out of it

i fully plan on only coming into the office 2-3 days a week once i hit my 3 year mark since that's the point where corporate considers any employee eligible for telecommuting for more than just emergencies

Ya that's true but it's not like it's the proles jetting around on the company dime nowadays either, it's always been a petit and above thing. Can't send the prole to 9 conferences a year because they're doing like 5 people's jobs at this point lmao

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lastgirl posted:

i think poor people should not die and liberals should go gently caress themselves....??

*d&d gives me a big brother noogie* ahahaha that's the fyad-lite humor i'd expect from c-spam

By saying that poor people shouldn't die, you're insulting the people who believe their deaths are necessary. This is very rude and we don't tolerate rudeness in D&D.

Dog Toothbrush posted:

it’s not just dnd. try bringing up how “trumps” space force was approved by democrats in the bad thread

It makes sense when you realize that for many liberals politics is basically just a vector of entertainment that consists of mocking the wacky things Republicans say and do. To them, leftists seem like people coming into a discussion about Star Wars to talk about how Disney is bad with labor rights or something.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Dec 23, 2019

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChickHearnBern/status/1209155341184692224?s=19

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Speaking as a psychopath

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Calibanibal posted:

Speaking as a psychopath

gently caress off ppj

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
guys I'm starting to suspect that the admins doctrine is "stop bothering us"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Pennsylvania and the western us have mountains and poo poo. Bit of a problem for national scale rail projects although not an insurmountable one.

Another proposal: in addition to mandatory over time pay for every hour beyond 4030 hrs per week, all employees clock in the moment they step out their front door. Betcha we'd get a whole lot of businesses real interested in deploying urban mass transit practically overnight.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
realistically though, with advancements in efficiency the "full time" 40 hour work week is entirely antiquated and should be reduced to 27-30 with a 0% reduction in pay

this would also help to boost the gently caress out of employment numbers at non-gig employment jobs

this will never happen unless we guillotine all billionaires though... which is another thing we should 100% due

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Sapozhnik posted:

Pennsylvania and the western us have mountains and poo poo. Bit of a problem for national scale rail projects although not an insurmountable one.

Another proposal: in addition to mandatory over time pay for every hour beyond 4030 hrs per week, all employees clock in the moment they step out their front door. Betcha we'd get a whole lot of businesses real interested in deploying urban mass transit practically overnight.

we fuckin redirect rivers and routinely remove mountaintops

we solved the whole "do a bridge or have a tunnel" problem in like 1912

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sapozhnik posted:

Pennsylvania and the western us have mountains and poo poo.

I read this as "mountains of poo poo" and I'm pretty sure it's still accurate

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I like the people who think like rail networks are impossible in places that had rail networks 100 years ago but then Ford paid the chamber of commerce to have them paved over

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
why isn't d&d a subforum of cspam yet

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bernie said he'd consider a 32 hour work week, which is probably one of the most difficult things for him to pass, but at least it'll get people talking about it. Most people are so resigned to the 40+ hour week that they've never even considered something else is possible

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tetracube posted:

Bernie said he'd consider a 32 hour work week, which is probably one of the most difficult things for him to pass, but at least it'll get people talking about it. Most people are so resigned to the 40+ hour week that they've never even considered something else is possible

https://twitter.com/ajmalalami/status/1208796294367629313

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

kingcobweb posted:

abolish conferences

no, abolish conference calls too

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ex post facho posted:

look at the worry spot on that poor animal's rear end, pete confirmed psycho

also eating raw eggs out of a tin box, wearing dress socks with cuffed jeans, what the gently caress is wrong iwth this child

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
baby coffin on the dresser, sitting on a costume trunk full of dead baby clothes stained wwith jizz

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
something I never hear people talk about is how the hours have lengthened from 40 hours including lunch to 40 hours excluding lunch. the phrase “9 to 5” doesn’t make any sense any more because everyone is expected to work eight hours a day then take an unpaid break so it’s a 9 to 6 or an 8 to 5!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

why isn't d&d a subforum of cspam yet

I don't want any associations with those morons whatsoever

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

kingcobweb posted:

who is AGAINST super fast trains?? they’re cool, they’d help ~business~, they’re necessary for climate reasons, they’d create a shitload of jobs to build them, and we were able to make fuckin railroads across the country literal hundreds of years ago jesus christ

when I think of trains in America I think of the ones they built in Florida that just recreate existing air routes but slower, only stopping in major cities instead of smaller towns that would have benefited the most from a better way to get around than cars, and causing multiple deaths because they used cheap railway crossings that idiot drivers try to race around

there's a reason we need to focus on working class solidarity because without it we're not going to build anything worthwhile

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Abolish having to talk to other people at work

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

something I never hear people talk about is how the hours have lengthened from 40 hours including lunch to 40 hours excluding lunch. the phrase “9 to 5” doesn’t make any sense any more because everyone is expected to work eight hours a day then take an unpaid break so it’s a 9 to 6 or an 8 to 5!

Sorry bub but only one economist has ever discussed the length of the working day as a vector of class war and anybody who invokes his name gets blacklisted

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
As a computer toucher I'll say 40 hrs/wk would be a welcome improvement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

kingcobweb posted:

🎵 working, 9 to 6, then clocking in to uber working 6 to 6:15, 6:24, 6:42, 7:15, punching out while gassing up and not getting paid, getting t-boned by a truck and dying, family gets a check for the $2.79 i had cleared at the time of my deeeeeeeeeeath 🎵