Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
I replied to their earlier vague response once their west coast office opened and they replied the earlier email was in error. Mine weren’t deleted but do need to be reactivated, and since I’ve done that already I guess I’m SOL for selling anything on MB for the next six days since I can’t log in here. I hope they are lvl 80 as expected when I get back, way to make Christmas even more stressful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Mizaq posted:

I replied to their earlier vague response once their west coast office opened and they replied the earlier email was in error. Mine weren’t deleted but do need to be reactivated, and since I’ve done that already I guess I’m SOL for selling anything on MB for the next six days since I can’t log in here. I hope they are lvl 80 as expected when I get back, way to make Christmas even more stressful.

Bro, they're retainers. Relax.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Wrestlepig posted:

graha tia’s story is pretty close to Desch and the tower of Owen from ff13

(tiny lore/ref spoiler) Desch is in fact G'raha's og ancestor

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Summoner 50-60: Help Y'shtola's sister straight up kill an Ascian. Why wasn't this in the MSQ, this is easily the most plot-relevant job quest.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"Surely we can take the Warrior of Light where our master failed." - Lahabrea's Goons

Good to see that he even taught them his stupidity. :v:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, the minor ascians don't get touched on too much. They're definitely out there, but they're either out of our scope or smart enough not to get involved with us.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Summoner questline deals with Allagans, Ascians, and primals. It definitely feels like the most plot-centric job.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I finally made it to Doma! ..... :negative:

god imperialism sucks so much....

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Everyone blames lahabrea for being really dumb but what about the two other ascians that I can't remember their names for. They were just as bad if not worse than him. Is it because lahabrea was a higher ranked ascian? But they're all black robes and red masked. It was probably explained but whats up with the white robe one, edi-something I think He was higher rank than the black robes one right?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Velveteen posted:

Everyone blames lahabrea for being really dumb but what about the two other ascians that I can't remember their names for. They were just as bad if not worse than him. Is it because lahabrea was a higher ranked ascian? But they're all black robes and red masked. It was probably explained but whats up with the white robe one, edi-something I think He was higher rank than the black robes one right?

I don't remember exactly where you are, so I'll try to break it down.

Black robe + mask is basically the standard uniform for ascians.

2.x spoilers Elidibus is the white robed ascian. He calls himself the emissary, but he's roughly the same rank as Lahabrea. Bit of a drama queen.

2.5 spoilers Nabriales exists and you kill him.

3.0 spoilers Igeyorhm is another powerful ascian, but where she ranks isn't clear at this point in the story.

4.5 spoilers Emet-Selch is the other high ranking ascian. He is inhabiting a clone body of the founding Garlean emperor.

5.0 spoilers Laha, Eli, and Emet are the three OG survivors of the ascians. Iggy was a sundered remnant of them, and elevated to her higher status, but is not as powerful as the three. Nabriales was similar but also a chump and I don't think he's ever brought up.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 23, 2019

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

In terms of robe and mask colours regarding hierarchy: Black-masked ascians are basically just grunts while the red-masked ascians (Lahabrea, Elidibus, Emet-Selch) are their leaders. Elidibus' wears white robes because of his role as the "emissary" but for all intents and purposes he's still another ascian working towards the same goal.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Also, Lakshmi has a giant tail that isn't shown in-game for some reason.

PS3 limitations :v:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I’m pretty sure it’s reflective of a broken part of my soul, but...

I think I kinda like Eureka.

Admittedly I’ve only done 1-9 so far, and I’m sure the grind ramps up hard from here. But it tickles all the nostalgia spots in my brain for FFXI in ways that actual FFXI probably wouldn’t. I have a lot of fondness for XI, but I’m pretty sure I’d hate actually playing it in TYOOL 2019. As something mindless to do while watching Netflix, I like it!

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

BGrifter posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s reflective of a broken part of my soul, but...

I think I kinda like Eureka.

Admittedly I’ve only done 1-9 so far, and I’m sure the grind ramps up hard from here. But it tickles all the nostalgia spots in my brain for FFXI in ways that actual FFXI probably wouldn’t. I have a lot of fondness for XI, but I’m pretty sure I’d hate actually playing it in TYOOL 2019. As something mindless to do while watching Netflix, I like it!

Have you clicked off the Echo buff and tried it without it? Because if not, that would probably change your opinion on it quite a bit.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Maguoob posted:

Have you clicked off the Echo buff and tried it without it? Because if not, that would probably change your opinion on it quite a bit.

Yeah, that’s probably a huge part of why I’m enjoying it no doubt.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I spent half an hour clearing FATEs to get enough bicolor gemstones to craft my 71 HQ crafter gear, is that like FF11

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I spent half an hour clearing FATEs to get enough bicolor gemstones to craft my 71 HQ crafter gear, is that like FF11

No, because you came out of it with something to show for that half an hour. Now if you spent half an hour chocoboing/walking there...

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Didn't ffxi crafting have a bunch of dumb bullshit like the in-game time of day and the map direction you were facing having an impact on success or failure? Also you could just fail to craft something and lose your materials.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Leal posted:

PS3 limitations :v:

But she is in the first expac not on PS3... Or was that the joke

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Cactrot posted:

Didn't ffxi crafting have a bunch of dumb bullshit like the in-game time of day and the map direction you were facing having an impact on success or failure? Also you could just fail to craft something and lose your materials.

Those were all myths people believed in because crafting is all rng you have no control over.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Cactrot posted:

You can still lose your materials in this game if a craft fails.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Cactrot posted:

lmao hell yeah it did

Leofish posted:

You can still lose your materials in this game if a craft fails.

yeah, but there’s actual gameplay involved where it’s “you” failing, not a single dice roll controlling the fate of millions of gil in materials

there were a couple crafts - mostly repairing fishing poles, which of course could break because ff11 was personally offended that you were playing it - that couldn’t fail and lose you materials. unless, of course, you zoned while doing it, which would dump your stuff into the void. the best fishing rod, lu shang’s, was from a quest that required handing in ten thousand (10,000) moat carp for the rod and a key item outright mocking you for doing it. pour out a 40 for those poor souls who tried to repair their lu shang’s on the selbina-mhaura boat, zoned automatically when the ride ended during the craft, and lost ten thousand loving fish worth of fishing rod

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
FFXI sounds terrible.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

It sounds like exactly the sort of game I would have loved if I was a neet in 2005, and would find unplayable at any other time

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

XIV Blue Mage would fit in perfectly with XI, which is the most damning indictment of that boondoggle of a job I can conceive of.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, I played FFXI for a bit recently and it's definitely the sort of game I would've wasted massive amounts of time on if I played it when I was a kid. But adult me can't justify spending $15 a month on something like that. It was also just really obtuse and I didn't feel like spending a bunch of time trying to figure out how to play.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is it about leatherworking that every other crafting story is "look how amazing you are, the world has never seen such brilliance" while LTW is "peon I hope you make something passable, also maybe you'll get thrown in jail for crimes"
Intriguing, time to do the LTW quests.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is it about leatherworking that every other crafting story is "look how amazing you are, the world has never seen such brilliance" while LTW is "peon I hope you make something passable, also maybe you'll get thrown in jail for crimes"

It's because it's in the context of (2.0 minor spoilers) Gridania's policy that limits how much they can take from the forest. They can't harvest wood willy nilly and the same applies to the hide used for leather. As Gridania's premier workshop, the LTW guild has an image to keep up and that is being as efficient as they can be with their leather, so even "good" is just okay for their goods.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I approve.

Also what is the actual value of the bonus from Ingenuity, it's weird that all the other skills have percentages but that one is just "more effective", is it worthwhile to use

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I have no idea and have relied on the teamcraft simulator to tell me which was better at any given moment

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I approve.

Also what is the actual value of the bonus from Ingenuity, it's weird that all the other skills have percentages but that one is just "more effective", is it worthwhile to use

It lowers the recipe's level by 5(?) levels. It's hard to quantify what this does accurately, but it increases progress efficiency always, and quality efficiency only if the recipe is higher level than yours. My advice is to not bother using it unless you're doing starred recipes at level cap.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I approve.

HellCopter posted:

I have no idea and have relied on the teamcraft simulator to tell me which was better at any given moment

My rotation for HQ 80 2-star crafts stacks the two.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Fister Roboto posted:

It lowers the recipe's level by 5(?) levels. It's hard to quantify what this does accurately, but it increases progress efficiency always, and quality efficiency only if the recipe is higher level than yours. My advice is to not bother using it unless you're doing starred recipes at level cap.
A couple of weeks ago I set out making the facet crafting gear and holy crap doing any Touch or Synthesis action on the recipes for the mats + gear without Ingenuity was basically a wasted step. It's bonkers how much Ingenuity helps with level 80 recipes.

The nifty thing about Reflect -> Manipulation -> Ingenuity -> Innovation as shown in Hokkaido's rotation is that it puts the item back at full durability too

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

Ingenuity was changed, it no longer lowers recipe level, it just gives a nondescript buff to Touch and Synthesis actions (IIRC from when I looked for the math, it's around 20%) that stacks with Innovation. There's no reason not to use it and Innovation at the same time if you have the CP for that.

Edit: of course it could be they just changed the text without changing how the actual ability works, :v:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 23, 2019

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I just found out old astrologian cards were way more fun than the current ones.

The new ones are a pretty lame 6% damage boost for everything.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Velveteen posted:

They really weren't.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

No they weren't. It was a garbage system where the cards were "The Balance" and "The Other Ones". No one gave a gently caress about any of the buffs except the balance because it was just stupidly far and away the best one and there was no reason to do anything as astro except fish for Balance.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Velveteen posted:

They were fun in theory but in effect it was all just fishing for the Balance.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

Ingenuity was changed, it no longer lowers recipe level, it just gives a nondescript buff to Touch and Synthesis actions (IIRC from when I looked for the math, it's around 20%) that stacks with Innovation. There's no reason not to use it and Innovation at the same time if you have the CP for that.

Edit: of course it could be they just changed the text without changing how the actual ability works, :v:

Yeah no it has the exact same effect as old Ingenuity just with a more ambiguous tooltip now for some reason. You can test it out on teamcraft, it increases quality efficiency on starred recipes but not on unstarred ones, which is consistent with the idea that it lowers the recipe level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Velveteen posted:

agreeing with the chorus, this was one of those things that looks neat but gets optimized trivially. our first a12s clear was in no small part due to our ast rolling a shitload of balances.

also, this is the card potencies on release - balance got put down to 10% fairly quickly, and even then it was a game of rolling the dice and losing out unless you got a six