Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That reminds me: I got a bottle of Laird’s Straight Apple Brandy recently and the first thing I made was a Diamondback (Rittenhouse, apple brandy, and green Chartreuse) and man it was too stiff for me. I don’t know if they’re expecting 80 proof apple brandy instead of 100 but I’ve gotta stir the next one longer I think.

I’m looking for some other recipes to try as well.

Not too surprising since you’re combining three relatively high proof alcohols. How long are you stirring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Tried the Christian Drouin Calvados in an old fashioned today with maple syrup and some Strongwater lemon ginger bitters (I picked up a sampler of Strongwater bitters at the store and they are really, really nice) and it was just lovely. A little caramel taste on the opening, with a sweet, crisp apple finish.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
1. Make your own grenadine
2. Make Jack Roses
3. Hail Satan

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Honestly, I’ve had homemade grenadine and Small Hands grenadine, and it tastes...tomato-ey to me? Rose’s is where it’s at for me.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

That reminds me: I got a bottle of Laird’s Straight Apple Brandy recently and the first thing I made was a Diamondback (Rittenhouse, apple brandy, and green Chartreuse) and man it was too stiff for me. I don’t know if they’re expecting 80 proof apple brandy instead of 100 but I’ve gotta stir the next one longer I think.

I’m looking for some other recipes to try as well.

I think that's the point of a diamond back. What ratios were you using? In Boston 1:1:1 was pretty common. Pretty brutal, but a good way to get your night started after working Friday night dinner service. Where I'm at now 1.5:.5:.5 seems preferred with some people even subbing yellow to bring down the abv and add some sweetness.

I snagged a bottle of Laird's cask strength store pick when I was in Vegas last week. First time I've seen one. Four and a half years 127 proof. Seems pretty solid to me. Richer apple flavor, pronounced barrel notes, surprisingly easy sipper.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Honestly, I’ve had homemade grenadine and Small Hands grenadine, and it tastes...tomato-ey to me? Rose’s is where it’s at for me.

I mean if your vision of what grenadine should be is corn syrup and food dye then yes Rose's is the gold standard for sure but those of us possessed of taste and sophistication prefer something that actually tastes like pomegranate like it's supposed to. Sorry to lay it on a little thick there but this is like saying a White Castle slider is the pinnacle of cheeseburgers.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

prayer group posted:

I mean if your vision of what grenadine should be is corn syrup and food dye then yes Rose's is the gold standard for sure but those of us possessed of taste and sophistication prefer something that actually tastes like pomegranate like it's supposed to. Sorry to lay it on a little thick there but this is like saying a White Castle slider is the pinnacle of cheeseburgers.

For what it’s worth, the White Castle slider is the pinnacle of cheeseburgers.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Bandit posted:

I think that's the point of a diamond back. What ratios were you using? In Boston 1:1:1 was pretty common. Pretty brutal, but a good way to get your night started after working Friday night dinner service. Where I'm at now 1.5:.5:.5 seems preferred with some people even subbing yellow to bring down the abv and add some sweetness.
I tried Supercall’s recipe which is 1.5:.75:.75. I should have known it would be dry but yeah you’re right: that seems to be the point. I should start with it next time rather than having it be the third cocktail of the night.

chitoryu12 posted:

Not too surprising since you’re combining three relatively high proof alcohols. How long are you stirring?
Yeah in hindsight you’re right. I’m usually around 15 turns for most of my drinks. Not sure if I should be stirring more in general.

Unrelated to my Diamondback woes: I got my special order of Amaro Meletti and man is that good. I’ve been making The Ugly Gentleman with it: 2oz rye, 0.5oz amaro, 2 bar spoons of turbinado, 2 drops of sesame oil in a maple-smoked glass. It is drat tasty.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I tried Supercall’s recipe which is 1.5:.75:.75. I should have known it would be dry but yeah you’re right: that seems to be the point. I should start with it next time rather than having it be the third cocktail of the night.

Yeah in hindsight you’re right. I’m usually around 15 turns for most of my drinks. Not sure if I should be stirring more in general.

Unrelated to my Diamondback woes: I got my special order of Amaro Meletti and man is that good. I’ve been making The Ugly Gentleman with it: 2oz rye, 0.5oz amaro, 2 bar spoons of turbinado, 2 drops of sesame oil in a maple-smoked glass. It is drat tasty.

You could try stirring for 20-30 seconds to see if it dilutes more to your taste. Otherwise maybe experiment with lowering the Chartreuse and adding simple syrup to compensate.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Anonymous Robot posted:

I hate being a snob, but Rose's is artificially flavoured and coloured Mystery Sugar Fluid that may contain no actual pomegranate.

Maybe you just don't like pomegranate, in which case I advise against drinking cocktails with grenadine in them. You won't know the difference between Calvados and bourbon in your cocktail if you're using Rose's.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

A general rule of thumb for aged spirits is that once you hit $100, you get rapidly diminishing returns above that point. A $100 cognac may taste $80 more expensive than a $20 one, but a $200 cognac might not taste much better than the $100 at all. I would put about $35-40 as the price range where you start getting into good neat sipping spirits and $10-20 for bottles of mixing spirits and vodka (premium vodka is a scam).

Also note I’m talking American dollars. Aussies may as well switch to smuggling.

But have you considered this?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

But have you considered this?

Perfect to mix into Jack Rose's with Rose's syrup! ;)

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I am aware that Rose’s is just corn syrup. It’s a nostalgic ingredient for me that I only use when I want to sweeten a drink that I also want to be pink.

However, it’s true that I have found real grenadine to have an offputting flavor, and if nothing else, the owners of Death and Company agree; their section on grenadine in Cocktail Codex notes that most homemade and small-batch grenadines taste skunky, and recommend adding citric and malic acid to their recipe as a remedy for this (they also describe it as taking it closer to their memories of Rose’s in profile!). I’ve not bothered with that yet myself.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Yall ready for Capri's trash hooch margarita recipe??

-Minuteman Frozen Limade
-Cheap tequilla, I get the 1.75 of jose cuervo
-Triple sec (the dekuyper knockoff for 7$ not like cointreau)

The ratios are: 1/2 can of limade, 1 cup tequilla, 3/4 cup triple sec, and then fill the rest with ice. Blend it up in one of those bullet style blenders if you got one, serves four 6oz or three 8oz. If you get a bunch of cans you can easily fuel a mid size party for <$45

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’d like to pretend to be Philip Marlowe and drink a Gimlet over the holidays, but Rose’s sounds like crap. What can I do to make a good Gimlet?

Also, on a completely different note, would a Pop Shop Lime Rickey be an acceptablish base for a Gin Rickey? Should I show myself out?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

I’d like to pretend to be Philip Marlowe and drink a Gimlet over the holidays, but Rose’s sounds like crap. What can I do to make a good Gimlet?

Use lime juice and simple syrup?

2 gin
1 lime
.75 simple
Shake, up

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

2 gin
1 lime
.75 simple
Shake

PanzerSagan
Dec 14, 2011
Gimlet ( Schumann's Recipe )
2.5 Gin
.25 Fresh Lime Juice
1.25 Roses Lime

Pretty drat good.

Also, since there seems to be Calvados interest:

Norman Conquest ( from the Savoy Cocktail book )
1 Bourbon
1 Calvados
1 Sweet Vermouth
1 tsp simple syrup
3 dashes Angostura bitters, rocks ,orange twist garnish

It will change your life.

PanzerSagan fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 23, 2019

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

PanzerSagan posted:

Also, since there seems to be Calvados interest:

Norman Conquest ( from the Savoy Cocktail book )
1 Bourbon
1 Calvados
1 Sweet Vermouth
1 tsp simple syrup
3 dashes Angostura bitters, rocks ,orange twist garnish

It will change your life.

Is this pre or post vieux carre?

PanzerSagan
Dec 14, 2011
I believe it is post Vieux Carre. That’s how I was introduced to the Norman Conquest, they made me an excellent Vieux Carre then it was “ if you liked that , your going to love this.....”

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
The neighbors have lemons, and I have gin, so I've been doing hacky Corpse Reviver #2/Aviation crossovers depending on my available vermouths. Had some Lo-Fi sweet vermouth (which is loving fantastic btw), used the rest of my Lillet, then subbed Luxardo for a while, albeit in much smaller proportions. Now it's Cocchi Americano which makes things a little fruitier. Costco had St Germain Elderflower, so the Aviations are all based off the creme de violette version but subbing St Germain. It's been a really delicious gin mess of a month.

They're fun to batch, too, 'cause you can go straight from hacky Corpse Reviver to hacky French 75 really easily! I need some chartreuse & rye next so I can throw more Final Wards in the mix. Any other suggestions/variations to try?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I need some tequila(s) for mixing cocktails. I don't know anything about tequila, short of the types (añejo, blanco, etc), and I'm looking in the ~$25 range. What should I be looking at to give a general breadth of cocktail-making bases (brands/types/etc)?

I'm normally a whiskey drinker (WhistlePig, Angel's Envy, Redbreast), but the closest parallels I can draw to which flavor profiles I drink include Aria Gin, St Georges absinthe.

Ideas?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

I need some tequila(s) for mixing cocktails. I don't know anything about tequila, short of the types (añejo, blanco, etc), and I'm looking in the ~$25 range. What should I be looking at to give a general breadth of cocktail-making bases (brands/types/etc)?

I'm normally a whiskey drinker (WhistlePig, Angel's Envy, Redbreast), but the closest parallels I can draw to which flavor profiles I drink include Aria Gin, St Georges absinthe.

Ideas?

I'm a big fan of Espolòn in that price range. You want blanco for the most versatility in cocktails, but you should also have a reposado on hand. Espolòn does a good one for both, but their blanco is better.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'm a big fan of Espolòn in that price range. You want blanco for the most versatility in cocktails, but you should also have a reposado on hand. Espolòn does a good one for both, but their blanco is better.

Is there something worth getting in the neat category in the sub-$50 (in addition)?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there something worth getting in the neat category in the sub-$50 (in addition)?

No opinion there, drinking tequila neat sounds like a nightmare to me.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

PRADA SLUT posted:

As with the other spirits categories, things really start to open up at that level. What’s worth getting becomes a question of what you’re looking for. Sweet, floral, vegetal, mineral? All at once?

Personally, I think the Siembra line of tequilas is uniformly excellent; where I am, you can get Siembra Azul for ~$45. They’re pretty floral and vegetal. On the mineral side, Chinaco has a lot of salinity, which I love. Tequilas that are “triple-distilled” or whatever are basically vodka; adjust your expectations accordingly.

Don’t shy away from blancos for sipping, btw. A lot of aficionados prefer them to the older stuff, plus it’s cheaper.

You didn’t ask about Mezcal, and at this price point you probably shouldn’t, except for Vida, the Laphroig of agave spirits. I’d be happy to be proven wrong on that, though.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

PRADA SLUT posted:

I like Herradura but it might be above 50 bucks at this point

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Lunazul is another good affordable mixer, and if you're looking for something different, check out their El Humoso smoked blanco. It tastes of wood smoke rather than the peat smoke of mezcal*, and I think it makes an interesting substitution in a lot of tequila cocktails.

*Seconding the suggestion to get a bottle of Vida.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
If we’re talkin’ tequila then I gotta say I went back to Espolon recently and it was a lot sweeter and blander than I remembered. If you want a cheap, reliable blanco suitable for sippin’ or cocktails my recommendations are Cimarron and Arrete.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Premixed cocktails to bring to a party or gathering; seems easy enough? Get one of those pop top bottles used for fermenting (a real one, not decorative) and measure out enough to fill it, keep chilled if applicable? Bring some garnishes if needed. Anything I'm missing, and also any drink recommendations for this, or recommendations to not do?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Premixed cocktails to bring to a party or gathering; seems easy enough? Get one of those pop top bottles used for fermenting (a real one, not decorative) and measure out enough to fill it, keep chilled if applicable? Bring some garnishes if needed. Anything I'm missing, and also any drink recommendations for this, or recommendations to not do?

Old fashioned and manhattans are really easy to do this way. Pre-dilute them and then all you have to do is pour them over ice (or not, if you’re keeping them refrigerated and that’s your preference.)

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
My favorite sipping tequila is the Corzo Reposado, as discovered from doing tasting flights at my favorite beach taco spot in Charleston. My wife's favorite blanco at the moment is the Dobel Diamante. The regular edition is quite good, the CostCo selected batch was even better.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Fortaleza & Tequila Ocho are two extremely good bottles of booze for $50 that just so happen to be tequila

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

...it’s true that I have found real grenadine to have an offputting flavor, and if nothing else, the owners of Death and Company agree; their section on grenadine in Cocktail Codex notes that most homemade and small-batch grenadines taste skunky, and recommend adding citric and malic acid to their recipe as a remedy for this (they also describe it as taking it closer to their memories of Rose’s in profile!). I’ve not bothered with that yet myself.

Amusingly the best grenadine recipe I used in my days was a creation of Brian Miller from his time at D&C- equal parts by weight pomegranate molasses and pomegranate juice, and the oils of a man orange stirred in. It’s a bit of work, and the oils degrade in a day or two, but man that was some good juice.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Mason jar works, too; esp if you're garnishing with cherries cause you can just drop them in and skip an extra container. As mentioned Manhattans are great, Negronis work great, cross it up and Boulevardiers would be great too. I've done it with Corpse Reviver 2s, basically anything that doesn't need a special step like Pisco Sour egg whites and such. It's easy enough to make them big enough to empty & re-use one of the liquor bottles; I brought an Amaro Nonino handle of Manhattans to my girlfriend's birthday (15 ppl at a byob place) and it was perfect.

Shaking at the party can be ok depending, but doing stuff that works well with a straight pour (like batching French 75s and then topping on the spot with the sparkling) is probably the best way to go if you're looking to not be the annoying guy taking up room shaking cocktails.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
You should add water to the batches too to account for dilution during shaking or stirring, so you can just pour over ice and drunk immediately

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

pgroce posted:

You didn’t ask about Mezcal, and at this price point you probably shouldn’t, except for Vida, the Laphroig of agave spirits. I’d be happy to be proven wrong on that, though.

What would you do with this? Mix it or take it straight? I've haven't had Mezcal outside of some flights.

Also, I need a few mixer ingredients like some various schnapps and triple sec. Is there anything I should look out for, or just get whatevers available?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

pgroce posted:

at this price point you probably shouldn’t

What? There are plenty of readily available, tasty mezcals at/below that price point. Bahnez, El Buho, Fidencio, Bruxo & Illegal are all great and that's just off the top of my head.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone have a good pisco punch recipe? It's a great spirit and I'd love to do more than a sour with it, plus I know the Bay area haa a special relationship with pisco punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

PRADA SLUT posted:

What would you do with this? Mix it or take it straight? I've haven't had Mezcal outside of some flights.

The peaty scotch metaphor is apt. You can certainly drink it neat if that sort of thing appeals to you, but it’s more approachable in cocktails. Subbing Vida in for scotch in a Blood and Sand feels like cheating, I hardly ever drink it with scotch now.

Fart Car '97 posted:

What? There are plenty of readily available, tasty mezcals at/below that price point. Bahnez, El Buho, Fidencio, Bruxo & Illegal are all great and that's just off the top of my head.

Corrected I am, happy I am. I haven’t tried the others, but I should have remembered El Buho and Illegal. Now I have some new bottles to look for.