Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The emoluments clause us literally in article 1 of the constitution. The constitution doesn't mean poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Sorry for inviting US chat into one of the few non-US threads everyone.

I haven't consciously taken in any news for the last week and a half though so whatever.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I feel like US chat is going to be increasingly relevant to the UK as the days go on

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

MikeCrotch posted:

I feel like US chat is going to be increasingly relevant to the UK as the days go on

good news is it kills old people first. thats the only good news

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Jose posted:

good news is it kills old people first. thats the only good news

bad news is the rich old folk will be ok

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I can't believe the EU wants to kill old British folks who have worked all their life and defeated Hitler(The Blitz!) by forcing Britain to Brexit hard and cut the NHS. We were trying to be their friends but they wont leave us alone. But we made it through the Blitz(Hitler), we will make it through this. Tighten the belt a notch, getting through this with our heads held high to show the Jerry(The Blitz)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ianlaverymp/status/1207783329250062336?s=21

loving lmao and I’m sure nobody in the British media will bother to raise any issue with this

you hosed yourselves so loving hard

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

this is what the british media wanted. they'll be talking about how actually it's extremely good

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

fabergay egg posted:

this is what the british media wanted. they'll be talking about how actually it's extremely good

The British Media has the American media beat by so much. They still are trusted by a decent chunk of your islands populace and they are united in their deference to the owner class.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fabergay egg posted:

what I find more irritating are those who almost immediately turned around and thought that Labour's defeat was "tragic"

gently caress you, you did this, and if you genuinely thought that Corbyn was an anti-Semitic Stalinist that was going to destroy the country, you'd be celebrating his defeat

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/PeteMcCats/status/1209109968940601344?s=19

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the real scunthorpe problem

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

if nobody could secede and join the EU then they never would’ve let Slovenia in

The sign says no secessionists. We're allowed to have one.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/mrevgenylebedev/status/1209066331414433792

i think theyre gonna cook the homeless

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
They already promised to cut them in half, would be a waste to just throw them out.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

https://twitter.com/timburrows/status/1209169081452158976

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

do the british have the same american liberal solution to homelessness which is to viciously beat them with clubs and eradicate any tent cities that form for too long

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

comedyblissoption posted:

do the british have the same american liberal solution to homelessness which is to viciously beat them with clubs and eradicate any tent cities that form for too long

Sort of. Tents, sleeping bags and other property is taken and destroyed by councils and our homeless charities co-operate with the state to get homeless foreign nationals deported.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

namesake posted:

Sort of. Tents, sleeping bags and other property is taken and destroyed by councils and our homeless charities co-operate with the state to get homeless foreign nationals deported.
Also; spikes everywhere.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1209022261577109509

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

MikeCrotch posted:

:getin::getin::getin::getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws3nNv7q3jA

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

gently caress you

scotland will finally get independence ye sassanach oval office!!!!

I hope Scotland successfully leaves the UK!!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nonsense posted:

I hope Scotland successfully leaves the UK!!

literally 0 chance of that under bojo

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I never thought he would eat MY face!

Pomp has issued a correction as of 23:33 on Dec 23, 2019

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Scotland joined the union in the first place because they went bankrupt after they tried to become a colonial empire by starting a colony in the most inhospitable jungle on the American continent. They are the only European country to have paid for the crimes of imperialism and they have suffered long enough.

The Darien Scheme is legit one of the most interesting passages in world history imo

Spoiler alert: everything that could have gone wrong did. It's like the story of the Donner Party in that it has everything- high stakes, good people trying earnestly to create a better life for their families and being doomed from the start, deception on a grand scale, obscure and bad politics, total failure in every regard and the nadir of human misery. Jamestown probably had a better chance of survival than New Caledonia.

To this day, the area the Scots attempted to colonize is uninhabited and inhospitable. In fact, it's pretty much the only gap in the Pan-American Highway and the only reason you can't drive straight from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego. The wiki says a little about "environmental damage" that would result but if they could build through it, they 100% would. It's more of an engineering challenge to the would-be developers than any kind of moral imperative they feel to protect the rainforest. Also I believe there's something about particular strains of cow pox or swine fever or some kind of livestock illnesses being isolated to each continent, so to have land-based movement of livestock/ag goods could have a major impact on the spread of that. Again, the concern is more economic than societal. I would like to think/pretend this is also the main reason there isn't an Asia-North America highway bridge or tunnel between Russia and Alaska but again, money and this time politics in the #1 spot prevent this from ever happening.

So how about that Brexit, huh?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Did they ever solve the problem of "queuing lorries" which sounds ambiguously painful

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

the curse of tut-ankh-gammon

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

gently caress THEM

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

you idiots were offered this! you were offered this, and much more by an upstanding and principled candidate who would have tried very hard to make it actually happen!

cretin people!!!!!!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
how dumb is your demon cracker nation lmao

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/KTHopkins/status/1208845819174117377

absolutely loving cursed

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

sorry Jose, but you’re an accessory in the Anglo race war now

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/ozkaterji/status/1208938853551226880?s=21

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

This is incredibly broken thinking. This is a standalone complex, the Labour Party is anti-Semitic, so to defend it invalidates any professed or displayed opposition to anti-Semitism.

Y'all gone Kafka.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Did they ever solve the problem of "queuing lorries" which sounds ambiguously painful

The solution to cross channel traffic in Portsmouth was to build a lorry park with a capacity of 30 trucks to the north of the ferry terminal but on Portsea Island, and to build a permanent parking lane on the A31 about 40 odd miles north of the city. The reason being that Portsmouth's freight terminal for cross channel lorries has two check-in gates, and space behind said check-in desks for two lorries to be queued up behind to allow car traffic to enter the terminal. If ten lorries needed to enter the freight terminal, they would queue back into the city and block two of the three roads off of Portsea Island. So no, they didn't

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lol the fuckers are gloating

i would genuinely not mind if they just all died from malignant cancer or something

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

V. Illych L. posted:

lol the fuckers are gloating

i would genuinely not mind if they just all died from malignant cancer or something

they will

its called brexit

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Meghan McCain Island.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Whats with whole heaps of British leftists who (or who used to, kinda feel like this election should have popped what was left of that bubble) constantly harp on this "when we bad things, it cuz america". Even in the 80's when colonial nightmare events were like only 10-15 year back, and NI was still blowing up. It's really weird. Like they're dead set against having to face down their native indigenous ugly conservatism.

Oh no see Thatcher is SUBORDINATING us to Reagan, thus causing the bad things.
Oh no no no, Blair only took us into Iraq because uh, Bush something something hands were tied.

And this joint that owned half the world in still living memory starts insisting it is a manipulated possession of someone else.

It's like a guy with severe acne who constantly dodges mirrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s time for brexit to be over and DONE with