Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

I've found 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 at Walmart tend to be the same price as store brand conventional at most stores. Though the oil change bundles will sometimes offset that when you factor in the filter.

But then you have to go to Walmart, and I will usually pay more to not do that. Only exception the last few years have been the dog’s insulin and car batteries.
I will investigate order for pickup, though, since that’s now right at the front of the store.

Edit: I will note that my reluctance to visit is equal amounts not wanting to support their rapacious business practices, and, well, People Of Walmart is truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I hate Walmart too, but their prices are decent on oil. Thankfully the one near me is a small store and not very busy, so I can get in and out pretty quick.

They've raised their pay, at least in Austin stores. It's still not great, but it's on par to what I'd make flipping burgers at Dairy Queen ($12/hr to start there).

Rhyno posted:

Meijer (does that exist outside of the flyovers?) tends to have pretty killer rebates on M1. I think I got $24 back from a gallon and filter deal.

Meijer exists only in Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky, and Wisconsin. So yeah, flyover country.

The closest thing to Meijer that we have here would be HEB's "Plus!" format stores. Which are still nowhere near as big as a Meijer (the store I work at is about 130k sq ft). HEB, even in their "Plus!" format stores (which carry plants, patio furniture, some clothing, kitchen stuff, small appliances, etc), just has the typical grocery store assortment when it comes to automotive - I think my store has 1/3 of one side of an aisle dedicated to automotive. Though from Wikipedia, it looks like HEB's Plus concept is kind of like a smaller Meijer - the one I work at carries kitchen stuff, patio, gardening, and a small clothing section (also has a bank inside). Some of them have an attached restaurant (owned and operated by the store).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

I hate Walmart too, but their prices are decent on oil. Thankfully the one near me is a small store and not very busy, so I can get in and out pretty quick.

They've raised their pay, at least in Austin stores. It's still not great, but it's on par to what I'd make flipping burgers at Dairy Queen ($12/hr to start there).

That, too, but I meant more on how they beat down their own suppliers and are actively destroying them AND any competing general/variety store. A race to the bottom, where no one wins. Seriously, they have unreal expectations. The company I work at works with Walmart, supplying IT products. We *had* to establish a local office, and it could not be any kind of “fancy”. I’m not kidding - it had to be plain and functional. They’re like an HOA in reverse.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

Meijer (does that exist outside of the flyovers?) tends to have pretty killer rebates on M1. I think I got $24 back from a gallon and filter deal.

I need to do an oil change.

Seconding Meijer. It's always nice when the rebate checks show up too because it takes so drat long you forget about them. I'm a couple hundred miles away from a change, too.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Mobil 1 synthetic at Costco is often $25-28 for cases of six quart bottles. At it's highest somewhere around $36. I just buy multiples when it goes cheaper.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Swapped coil packs to chase rough idle. No change, so original coil pack seems to be good. Might as well move on to plugs and wires next.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Verman posted:

Mobil 1 synthetic at Costco is often $25-28 for cases of six quart bottles. At it's highest somewhere around $36. I just buy multiples when it goes cheaper.

What up this is me but also with diesel oil became of course

Costco....is good.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py6gMdV5uKY

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

We have hit maximum cheekiness.

I've got 150lbs in the trunk and 350 in the driver's seat and i've got to get rowdy for a little rub.

I have to get the front spacers machined again because i'm an idiot, but go ddamn does it fill out the fender well.

I've got a pair that are a little more worn, but i don't think i'll even need spring spacers to run brand new take-offs.

That's only 28" to 32" but it looks like those online memes with 5'11 and 6'1

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's an even better fitment than the Grabbers on my Town Car.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That looks like a hot wheels and yes it's fantastic.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I love cats with all terrains. Reminds me of Grand theft auto where I would put the off-road wheels and tires on all my super cars.

If I had the money for a Bentley, lambo or a Porsche, I would put BFG all terrains on them with white letters out of course.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Darchangel posted:

But then you have to go to Walmart, and I will usually pay more to not do that. Only exception the last few years have been the dog’s insulin and car batteries.
I will investigate order for pickup, though, since that’s now right at the front of the store.

Edit: I will note that my reluctance to visit is equal amounts not wanting to support their rapacious business practices, and, well, People Of Walmart is truth.

Sure, I detest Walmart and avoid at all costs except to go in to buy oil/filters/wiper blades. Plus they have an auto center where I can leave my jugs of used oil on the counter without fuss.

It's a moral quandary.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

That, too, but I meant more on how they beat down their own suppliers and are actively destroying them AND any competing general/variety store. A race to the bottom, where no one wins. Seriously, they have unreal expectations. The company I work at works with Walmart, supplying IT products. We *had* to establish a local office, and it could not be any kind of “fancy”. I’m not kidding - it had to be plain and functional. They’re like an HOA in reverse.

Then get a Costco membership. A few other people mentioned Costco has drat good prices on Mobil 1.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 19, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Installed two hyperspots and one spotlight I snagged on ebay

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Been staying with the grandparents for a couple weeks now, doing some work around the house and stuff and keeping them company. So far grandpa's pickup has gotten:

Car wash
Oil change
New headlight bulbs and some aim adjustments
New cv after noticing some vibration and finding a torn boot during the oil change
Remove grille and whole headlight assemblies again to change a high beam bulb that was out
new wipers

If only my own car got so much attention.

Plus side, I got some new tools out of the deal. Like an awesome set of really long box ends with a flex ratcheting end. Which I didn't specifically need to do any of the work but I've wanted a set for awhile and they were on sale. And a new big torque wrench because mine has been acting funny and I don't have it here and needed to torque the lugs and axle nut.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 20, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

jamal posted:

Been staying with the grandparents for a couple weeks now, doing some work around the house and stuff and keeping them company. So far grandpa's pickup has gotten:

Car wash
Oil change
New headlight bulbs and some aim adjustments
New cv after noticing some vibration and finding a torn boot during the oil change
Remove grille and whole headlight assemblies again to change a high beam bulb that was out
new wipers

If only my own car got so much attention.

Plus side, I got some new tools out of the deal. Like an awesome set of really long box ends with a flex ratcheting end. Which I didn't specifically need to do any of the work but I've wanted a set for awhile and they were on sale. And a new big torque wrench because mine has been acting funny and I don't have it here and needed to torque the lugs and axle nut.

I borrowed a set of those style wrenches from a coworker a while back to do the starter on my mazda. I got a bolt loose in 5 minutes that I spent a couple hours the night before fighting. Its not a constant use tool but it is a godsend when you need it. Like I actually do right now to take out an exhaust bolt on a family friend's car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Then get a Costco membership. A few other people mentioned Costco has drat good prices on Mobil 1.

You know about where I live (south end of DFW airport.) For some reason, Costco refuses to put a store anywhere in the Mid-Cities. Closest is Southlake, next closest is South Arlington. Neither are "close". I wouldn't get there often enough to offset the cost of the membership. I do ride on a friend's coattails when there's a *really* good deal on something I want, though.
We let our Sam's Club membership lapse years ago. They're better positioned, but we never went to the store.

Elmnt80 posted:

I borrowed a set of those style wrenches from a coworker a while back to do the starter on my mazda. I got a bolt loose in 5 minutes that I spent a couple hours the night before fighting. Its not a constant use tool but it is a godsend when you need it. Like I actually do right now to take out an exhaust bolt on a family friend's car.

Stuff like that is why you end up with questions from significant others about why you have so many tools. "Don't you already have a set of wrenches?" In my case, the response is usually: "don't you already have a pair of shoes/a purse?"
Not really. My wife is the daughter of a tinkerer electrical engineer. She understands the value and necessity of tools. I got lucky, there. By the same token, I don't give her poo poo about kitchen tools.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Got one of the fronts mounted and they don't really fit. I didn't get a good pic because....

when i dropped the jack the car rolled out of the garage and into a neighbors fence :smith:

no real damage except the rear bumper strip there and the gas door coverand i don't even understand how the gently caress that rubber goes back in. it's hard as a rock and there are no fasteners.

Then i stuck the old front wheels on and washed it and stuck it away in the corner for a while.

Sitting there in my shame staring at what i had done, i did notice the fender badges are tapered so they present straight out on a curved fender. I thought that was kind of neat.

I'll hopefully replace the fuel pump tomorrow and get to assessing what i should have been doing on it instead of messing around with big tires.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Got the new cargo area mockup half done

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

taqueso posted:

Are you rigging it up to camp in?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

taqueso posted:

Just fiberglass that up, and you're good to go!
Then put it on Etsy and Instructables.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

yeah that is tight, sorry to hear about your fence incident

Powershift posted:

Are you rigging it up to camp in?

I didn't start with that idea but it is going to be better for camping. It started with reading a sweedespeed thread where someone removed the 3rd row for a trip and took a bunch of pics. I thought that'd be cool since I never use the third row, having a larger under-floor trunk area would be cool and it looked pretty easy. Then I got the idea to put in a subwoofer in, and the best place to do that is between the 2nd row seats so I took out the center seat there too. The cardboard is at the same level as the tailgate and what the 3rd row seats used to fold down to, so the interior is essentially the same size as before.

Now I've got a bunch of ideas:
  • center console between 2nd row seats, with usb charging, maybe AC plug
  • subwoofer under that console, fires angled down/forward, ports exit under seats, enclosure extends a few inches into wheel well area
  • forced air cooling channel for electronics (there is actually rear AC in this car that I could pipe in lol - really I should take it out and make use the space)
  • storage areas all over
  • lipofe4 accessory battery
  • car pc, with canbus interface
  • audio stuff
  • airbed
  • on board compressor
  • inverter
  • power supply for all that stuff
  • charge controller
  • battery powered heater
  • pelier cooler (there is actually a factory option for a tunnel console that is a compressor based cooler but it's rare and expensive)
  • built in cordless power tool storage and charger
and the list gets longer and longer the more I think about it. So some prioritization and scope trimming needs to happen and some of these are a little out there. Right now I'm working on the outer dimensions, then I'll have to nail down how much volume goes to what and where it should be. Oh and I want to design and build the electronics, well not the car PC, but power supplies and amplifiers.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 20, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I clearly pay too much attention to the meme compilations my daughter watches on YouTube, because the '69" nice' made me laugh out loud.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

Yeah a coworker at an old shop had a set of similar wrenches, and the 14mm is invaluable for removing subaru downpipes. Tons of leverage and you can reach all five fasteners on a stock one. So I was planning on maybe just a 12/14 and 17/19 combo, not thinking of a ratcheting end. But this whole set was only 130 canadian dollerydos and I didn't pay for it anyway. well, I did in labor.

i guess the only downside is they're canadian tire brand, so if i break one, especially back in the states, i'm poo poo out of luck.

Previously I was thinking about these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AIX502/?coliid=I6CU6GP983BIM&colid=1ZBE362UPRXA7&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 20, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

i guess the only downside is they're canadian tire brand, so if i break one, especially back in the states, i'm poo poo out of luck.

Holler and I can send you a new set. CTC prices have gone way up in the last few years, though.

Is this the set?
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-metric-flex-head-gearwrench-set-7-pc-0588587p.html#srp

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 20, 2019

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

These

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-extra-long-double-box-end-flex-wrench-set-10-pc-0580370p.html#srp

They were 129.99 when i got them wednesday.

I should probably go through some of great grandpa's old stuff and post it in the tool thread. Like this big rear end snap-on ratchet that appears to have been made in 1949

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 20, 2019

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

Verman posted:

Yeah it's a great deal, I wish Costco carried the oil weights I need though. They don't have the right weight for 5 of my 6 cars, 5W-40 and 15W-50, and even the auto parts stores don't carry the 15W-50 in gallon sizes so I have to go to Walmart for 3 of my cars and my Walmart is super sketchy.

I finally got done applying some protective clear coat on the top of my Suburban since the clear and the paint was nearly worn through on top, apparently there was a recall for the paint on my truck back in the 90's and it wasn't done because "The paint was fine" then. I really need to get the thing repainted properly but it is really expensive so this should buy some time.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Dealer wanted $36 each for windshield wiper nozzles. Seemed high. Parts store had some for $20. Was surprised anything made it to the windshield at all because one was completely broken and disconnected and the other fell apart as soon as I touched it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oil change but also installed a Fumoto valve on it. I was excited until I realized I don't get the benefits until the next oil change.

Also realized I only put in 8 quarts not 8.5, I must have been looking at the liters column. That half quart is going to screw up my oil purchases at Costco, since they are 6 packs.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I always enjoy when I see an engine that takes 4,5 or 6 qts.

Five is the magical one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Annoyed that both of my currents take 6 quarts. The 5 qt. jugs were on sale, but the additional 1 qt. bottles were not. Plus, I buy an extra just in case (which I shouldn't have to do next time, unless I have a leak the Subaru has a leak. I think you know where.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Could be worse, you could have an 11.5L sump. Having to buy a $180 20L drum of oil every single change is a pain in the arse.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Last car was 5.5qts, pain in my rear end. Current is 10, while a lot at least I can easily grab two 5qt jugs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can do the car and truck with a single 20 liter pail of 0w40 synthetic for $125. The car takes 5 and the truck 15.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I really enjoyed the Civic we had that was 3.4L.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
3.6 L capacity with the expanded filter* in my Capri. It feels great to buy a gallon, dump basically the whole thing into the funnel, and have enough to cover how much is burned off between oil changes without needing to ever buy a quart

*It's just a slightly bigger 626 filter on a 1.6L 323 engine. Who know if it does anything positive, but the boards swear by it

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I put Mobil 1 0W40 in the Panda, as while the spec calls for 10W40, I'm really not that worried about it in a modern engine.

When Ford were specifying 5W30 in wheezy old Valencias, yeah, I ignored them and put at least a 40 weight in.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The Ford 5W30 was merely a mileage EPA thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If the EPA matters in the examples I'm citing, that's some serious strategic overreach.