Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I dunno what car you have exactly, but how bad is it really to get the trans off? I've pulled the transmission on my S2000 a few times and it kinda sucked the first time, but now it is like a 2hr job to have the transmission out.

As long as you've ordered everything up front and you've got a nice 1/2" impact and Harbor Freight transmission jack it shouldn't be that bad, right? I'm a cheap-rear end though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks like he has an MS3 which is fwd so it's a pain. Rwd cars are usually much easier.

I would definitely pay someone else to do that job :v:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I was about to say, clutch replacement isn't hard, it's just a pain in the rear end. Like, there really isn't much that can go wrong doing one.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Looks like he has an MS3 which is fwd so it's a pain. Rwd cars are usually much easier.

I would definitely pay someone else to do that job :v:

2009 MS3, correct. The packaging looks like such a pain in the rear end. And after doing the front struts and LCAs, having to separate them again, pop out the drive shafts, get behind the engine to temporarily remove some heat shields... doesn't appeal to me. In addition, I just replaced the trans oil, and it looks like you have to drain the trans when you do the clutch (for reasons?).

I watched this video on replacing the clutch on a 2nd Gen MS3. Gearing aside, it should be identical to the first generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBi1aOjdDlA

Anyway, on a longitudinal mount, RWD engine a clutch job doesn't look that complicated, other than accessing bolts on top of the bell housing, but the FWD platform looks very tedious.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

MetaJew posted:

Thanks for coming to my E/N / Terrible Car post.

How loud is it? I've seen people ignore the poo poo out of this problem for a while without any real issues.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MetaJew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBi1aOjdDlA

Anyway, on a longitudinal mount, RWD engine a clutch job doesn't look that complicated, other than accessing bolts on top of the bell housing, but the FWD platform looks very tedious.

Yeah unless you have a lift gently caress that. I've never done any clutch job without a lift, what a pain in the dick that would be.

I'd just call around your local shops with good ratings/reps and take it to the one with the best quote unless you have a shop you use already.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it's under 15 minutes! :v:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

When I needed transmission work done the local shop that did most of everything wouldnt even bother with it when they realized it was fwd. Make sure they know before you bring it over

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
What do you guys recommend as far as parts goes? Should I preorder the clutch kit and associated bearings seals and provide that or expect them to source it all?

I wonder if "while you're there" it makes sense to go ahead and replace the rear main seal or if that's a waste of money and effort.

I believe the seal around the driver side axle output has been weeping for a few years so I would also want to get that replaced.

I haven't taken a car to a shop in probably 12-15 years so I am a little out of touch with dealing with that process. Not including tires or alignments, of course.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Have any of the FiST owners here had the timing belt changed, and if so can you share a ballpark number? I'm just over 83,000 miles now so it's not an immediate need but it's something I want to plan for.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

While we’re on the maintenance posting train, have any of you GTI folks dealt with carbon buildup? I’ve heard it can start getting bad around the 60k mark and I’m about there myself. Would a preventative washout be in order or just leave it be until problems arise?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Warbird posted:

While we’re on the maintenance posting train, have any of you GTI folks dealt with carbon buildup? I’ve heard it can start getting bad around the 60k mark and I’m about there myself. Would a preventative washout be in order or just leave it be until problems arise?

From my indie mechanic who pretty much works on every local's MK7s and then some:

Indie Mechanic posted:

Typically they need it around the 70k mark but it’s really dependent on fuel used and driving habits. If you notice rough idles for about 30-40 seconds on cold starts it’s probably time to get it done.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Good to know, thanks! I double checked and I'm at 40k and change so I've got a bit more time than I thought.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
not sure if this has been posted in here, but it looks like a pretty sweet hot hatch!

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the-toyota-gr-yaris-has-arrived-with-all-wheel-drive-and-a-257bhp-triple/

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slothrop posted:

not sure if this has been posted in here, but it looks like a pretty sweet hot hatch!

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the-toyota-gr-yaris-has-arrived-with-all-wheel-drive-and-a-257bhp-triple/

Yeah I've been watching that, no mention of it being sold in the US of course, probably because it's not a four door. :mad:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Talk of it being $50k plus in Australia too, and they’re saying we won’t get the performance spec with the diffs. gently caress off!

That front end is pretty heinous too - mostly the squareness of the grille and related bits.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Goddammit I would totally buy a Honda Fit Si- Fiesta ST is the only taste of a subcompact w/GoFast we ever got (other than the 500 Abarth) and the interior was garbage

do it Honda you cowards

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I think you mean Fit Type R

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Here4DaGangBang posted:

That front end is pretty heinous too - mostly the squareness of the grille and related bits.

Funny you say that, I was thinking that it reminds me of the front of my xB :v:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That rules and I'll eat my hat if we get it in the US :(

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ugh those rear fender lines

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Talk of it being $50k plus in Australia too, and they’re saying we won’t get the performance spec with the diffs. gently caress off!

Yeah the (likely) sheer price of it here in Aus is frustrating, like you could buy 3 base spec Yarii for that price. It's a difficult thing when a carmaker makes a cool car you'd like to buy, but it's just priced out of reality. Like you wanna support them for making a drat cool car so they make more of them in the future! I was sad the Toyota S-FR concept never went anywhere because I'd DD the poo poo out of something like that. Even a Honda S660 imported here is going to be north of $50k AU for a new one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

slothrop posted:

Even a Honda S660 imported here is going to be north of $50k AU for a new one.
They are good, but that is loving insane considering what they sell for in Japan. That Yaris is fuckin rad though, I'd buy one.

CTR got a 2020 update in the form of two piece front rotors, better pads, alcantara wrapped wheel, and some other little things

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

CTR got a 2020 update in the form of two piece front rotors, better pads, alcantara wrapped wheel, and some other little things

Such as fake sound in the cabin and automated driver assist. No thanks to both those.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

BlackMK4 posted:

They are good, but that is loving insane considering what they sell for in Japan. That Yaris is fuckin rad though, I'd buy one.

That did seem very exensive, so I double checked and it's more like $30 - $40k AU for a used 2019 model, which still seems high.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Midjack posted:

Such as fake sound in the cabin and automated driver assist. No thanks to both those.

ya, but i'm sure it is like every other car ever where you can turn it off or unplug the thing in about five minutes. The blindspot stuff and all is fine though, no complaints on that.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

slothrop posted:

Huh. Never knew I'd lust hardcore over a Yaris of all things.

I'll sell my FiST the minute they come stateside if a test drive shows them to be anything like what I'm imagining.

Who am I kidding, it'll never come here because Ford decided we can't have fun anymore and all the other carmakers went along with it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Huh. Never knew I'd lust hardcore over a Yaris of all things.

I'll sell my FiST the minute they come stateside if a test drive shows them to be anything like what I'm imagining.

Who am I kidding, it'll never come here because Ford decided we can't have fun anymore and all the other carmakers went along with it.

Nobody buys small fun cars here anymore, it’s huge rear end trucks or go gently caress yourself. Toyota got disappointed on the FT86 sales; why would they do that to themselves again?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Midjack posted:

Nobody buys small fun cars here anymore, it’s huge rear end trucks or go gently caress yourself. Toyota got disappointed on the FT86 sales; why would they do that to themselves again?

Because I bought a Fiesta ST new off the lot to support such ventures in car manufacturing.

I'm good for it Toyota I swear

My heart says it would sell fast and plentifully, but that's wishful thinking. I agree with you.

Enthusiast cars like that just don't have a big enough market in the US and it upsets the hell out of me. We're going into dark days, we'll find the fun again in a decade. I'm just mad we'll all have to wait for such a bounty of new small fun cars.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Midjack posted:

Keeping in mind that "nobody buys" apparently means they need like 300k sales a year. I read everywhere that nobody is buying Ford's cars. I also read how Subaru is selling so many Crosstrek's they can't keep up. In 2018, the Crosstrek peaked at 144k cars sold in the US. In 2017, the year before it was dropped, they sold 158k Ford Focuses down from a peak of 245k in 2012. The "nobody buys" thing is a fiction - the reality is Ford has a CEO who wants to pump next year's stock and doesn't care about their future, and they'd rather make high margins selling loaded pickups then compact cars to budget customers.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What portion of those Focus sales were zero margin fleet cars?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MunchE posted:

Keeping in mind that "nobody buys" apparently means they need like 300k sales a year. I read everywhere that nobody is buying Ford's cars. I also read how Subaru is selling so many Crosstrek's they can't keep up. In 2018, the Crosstrek peaked at 144k cars sold in the US. In 2017, the year before it was dropped, they sold 158k Ford Focuses down from a peak of 245k in 2012. The "nobody buys" thing is a fiction - the reality is Ford has a CEO who wants to pump next year's stock and doesn't care about their future, and they'd rather make high margins selling loaded pickups then compact cars to budget customers.

The Crosstrek is a pig and how many of those Focuses weren’t basement tier shitboxes? Smaller cars sell but not small fun cars. Even the MX-5 isn’t selling like it was 15-20 years ago.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The US market is over 70% SUV / Crossover / Truck sales now and people want a cut of that, it's no surprise where the market is going. No one even buys station wagons anymore, and the few that are sold, 3% of the whole market are almost all Subaru.

It's too bad, I bought a new GTI and when I look at new cars other people have bought, it really hits me how unique just normal sedans or coupes are these days. It's really something how many F150s people are buying as well.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 11, 2020

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I get grumpy about crossovers and trucks, I wish I could wrap my head around what makes them appeal to someone. I get it if you use a truck to haul, but so few people at work who have these big fuckoff trucks never do a drat thing with them. Crossovers are just so boring and mediocre that it feels like the people that buy them are just giving up and settling in mediocrity and I can't stand it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I get grumpy about crossovers and trucks, I wish I could wrap my head around what makes them appeal to someone. I get it if you use a truck to haul, but so few people at work who have these big fuckoff trucks never do a drat thing with them. Crossovers are just so boring and mediocre that it feels like the people that buy them are just giving up and settling in mediocrity and I can't stand it.
Agreed, the CR-V, RAV4 and the like are so similar and boring, I don't get it and they're everywhere along with those Subaru Crosstrek things that have CVT transmissions. I guess people don't care about the driving part, just the potential to go offroad if they need to or something. And the F150s just baffle me, they're so huge and boring, but it's their money. I think it's just too bad all innovation goes in to the most copy cat vehicles and we don't get cool things like that Toyota hatch.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Bring the zx2, zx3, and zx5 back into production 🙏

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Rusty posted:

Agreed, the CR-V, RAV4 and the like are so similar and boring, I don't get it and they're everywhere along with those Subaru Crosstrek things that have CVT transmissions. I guess people don't care about the driving part, just the potential to go offroad if they need to or something. And the F150s just baffle me, they're so huge and boring, but it's their money. I think it's just too bad all innovation goes in to the most copy cat vehicles and we don't get cool things like that Toyota hatch.

It is a shame, we don't get much in the way of exciting cars it seems and those that we do get are way out of my price range. If my husband fit in a ND Miata, I'd of bought it, but as it was we got a GTI instead. I'm just hoping the US market doesn't end up cutting out all fun cars

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Pine Cone Jones posted:

It is a shame, we don't get much in the way of exciting cars it seems and those that we do get are way out of my price range. If my husband fit in a ND Miata, I'd of bought it, but as it was we got a GTI instead. I'm just hoping the US market doesn't end up cutting out all fun cars
I really wanted a new Miata too, but I have dogs to haul around to the beach and we already have a first gen Miata, so got a GTI, and I do love the car.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Crossovers are just so boring and mediocre that it feels like the people that buy them are just giving up and settling in mediocrity and I can't stand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Whenever I travel for work and get given a CUV as a hire car (rather than the compact I selected when I made the booking) it is an overwhelmingly lame experience, the fact that people might have to drive one every day due to family size etc. really makes me feel for them. I would hate it, they just drive like absolute poo poo.

Coming from a FiST most other mainstream cars feel pretty bad to drive to some extent, but CUVs/SUVs have no redeeming qualities at all.