Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Diabeesting posted:

A little bird told me that I'll be receiving an airbrush this holiday. One of the Iwata Neo gravity feeds with a decent but cheap tanked compressor. Is there anything I need to know before binge watching youtube tutorials on how to use it? One thing I've always wondered is how long it takes to switch colors, do you need to run cleaner through it every time or can you just drop some water in?

You'll want to run some kind of cleaning agent between colors no matter what, unless you want random bursts of your last color. It's a pretty quick process, though. I can clean and get to spraying my next color in about a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Here's a great video on making airbrush cleaning a simple process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEIJs1c4bsQ

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Diabeesting posted:

A little bird told me that I'll be receiving an airbrush this holiday. One of the Iwata Neo gravity feeds with a decent but cheap tanked compressor. Is there anything I need to know before binge watching youtube tutorials on how to use it? One thing I've always wondered is how long it takes to switch colors, do you need to run cleaner through it every time or can you just drop some water in?

You'll absolutely want a respirator; don't gently caress around with your lungs, even with acrylics.

Also, try out Zenithal Priming, it's one of the best things airbrushes can do; I picked up a 3pack of Badger Stynylrez black/grey/white which has been perfect for this.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
These are great tips, thanks friends. I'll pick up a new respirator and some fluids and... I guess yogurt cups would work great for spraying cleaner into. Nice, I thought it was much more complicated

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Diabeesting posted:

I guess yogurt cups would work great for spraying cleaner into.

Pick up a spray jar for this, so you don't get fumes blowing everywhere; they can be had for dirt cheap from aliexpress, just search "airbrush cleaning pot" and you'll find plenty.

Also a spray booth is a really useful thing to get if you don't have somewhere well ventilated to spray in, but they can be pretty pricey.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

grassy gnoll posted:

You'll want to run some kind of cleaning agent between colors no matter what, unless you want random bursts of your last color. It's a pretty quick process, though. I can clean and get to spraying my next color in about a minute.

Honestly I usually don't do this every time, it depends on what you're doing and what colors you're spraying. Most of the time I just dump out what's in the cup, dump in the new color, and spray until I don't see the old color anymore. If the colors are drastically different I'll probably rinse it out with water first. If I'm trying to do something precise where it matters a lot I'll probably clean it out, but if it's something like zenithal priming or basecoating where I'm probably going to paint over it anyway, gently caress it go hog wild

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

grassy gnoll posted:

Water works as that cleaning agent between colors, it really is as easy as the vince video posted above.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I haven't shared a new figure i've done in quite a while. My skill at this sucks and I don't want to waste peoples time. This could probably use some touch ups, but otherwise I am pretty happy with it, so I felt comfortable enough sharing.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

I said come in! posted:

I haven't shared a new figure i've done in quite a while. My skill at this sucks and I don't want to waste peoples time. This could probably use some touch ups, but otherwise I am pretty happy with it, so I felt comfortable enough sharing.

Hey, this ain't bad at all! I would advise to keep at it, as all skill is is the exercise of practice and you've definitely got the basics down pat!

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

I said come in! posted:

This guy looks great and will look even better with some basing done. I feel the same way about my stuff so its very good to see others posting who are in the same club

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cinara posted:

I followed this advice and ever since my Airbrush rarely clogs.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Cinara posted:

This is great, maybe I’ll finally break out the airbrush I’ve had sitting in the box looking at me intimidatingly for months :ohdear:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

I said come in! posted:

Hey man, that don't look bad. I've only been doing it for like 4 months, and you'll get better.

Here is my first minis, painted with apple barrel paints including a wash of watered down paint. https://i.imgur.com/9phse09.jpg

Here is my most recent guy, fellow Deathwatch with only 3 months improvement.
https://i.imgur.com/hCKeXUQ.jpg

Keep at it, ask for advice, and watch videos on YouTube man.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

This is great, maybe I’ll finally break out the airbrush I’ve had sitting in the box looking at me intimidatingly for months :ohdear:

Vince has a ton of great videos, by far my favorite painting Youtuber. Everything is labeled well also so you should search Airbrush on his channel, there's several others on a variety of topics.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Some more Intercessors, I actually already started working on one of my old armies while this guys dried.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

R0ckfish posted:

Some more Intercessors, I actually already started working on one of my old armies while this guys dried.

These are super good. Glad to see Salamanders still getting repped here. :cool:

I haven’t posted in this thread in over a year, holy poo poo. Anyway here’s some recent stuff I’ve finished:

I don’t have a photo setup currently so my best lighting is my painting light, sadly.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

I said come in! posted:

Listen up friend, your paint job is good and your content is valued! You aren’t wasting anybody’s time. Allowing people to see your work and offer feedback (if you want it) is the lifeblood of artistic hobbies.

You are great!

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Fyrbrand posted:

These are super good. Glad to see Salamanders still getting repped here. :cool:

I haven’t posted in this thread in over a year, holy poo poo. Anyway here’s some recent stuff I’ve finished:

I hope I quoted this right in that in should be MODOK, and this is such a perfectly painted MODOK that if anyone should ever question you for any reason outside of painting they should be banned with this image as the explanation.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Cross-posting from the 40k thread:

JackMann posted:

Finally finished and based my Evil Sunz weirdboy.

Had some fun building the staff, though it ended up much more fragile than I would have liked, even with pinning and greenstuff. Next time, I might go for a longer bit of wire in the pinning, or even try plastic glue.

Zihuatanejo
Dec 17, 2013
Cross posting my Inquisitorial household guard commander from the 40k thread:

Zihuatanejo fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 21, 2019

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Zihuatanejo41 posted:

Cross posting my Inquisitorial household guard commander from the 40k thread:

That's a converted GSC Neophyte isn't it? I just started gluing some together last night. Good to see how to convert them. I thought about getting another box to use as cultists for heretic astartes in kill team.

Zihuatanejo
Dec 17, 2013

Werix posted:

That's a converted GSC Neophyte isn't it? I just started gluing some together last night. Good to see how to convert them. I thought about getting another box to use as cultists for heretic astartes in kill team.

It is! Such a great kit to make a million things out of. Think they would make great cultists. He’s a neophyte body with cawdor head and the old Celestine model’s cloak.

Zihuatanejo fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 21, 2019

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Adrax done!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

you'll get there!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you for the kind words, everyone. :shobon: Have some backlog I want to work through, and should finish all of those and then post pictures of them. :toot:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Put a wrap on some Chaos Knights

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Put a wrap on some Chaos Knights

I love the blue in that armor, what paints did you use?

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Painting a Primaris Apothecary at the mo. Lessons learned:
1. White rattle-can primer is bad
2. Do a test model!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Count_Brass posted:

Painting a Primaris Apothecary at the mo. Lessons learned:
1. White rattle-can primer is bad
2. Do a test model!

Did you use one of Citadels white air sprays? I had very good experiences with those for painting skeletons, and Tau.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009

I used Rustoleum white primer (my go-to is Rustoleum Grey.)

If I prime white again I'll airbrush it, rattle-can is too rough really. I'll crack on anyway!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I finally got a mostly acceptable result brushing on Vallejo gray primer. I had to let it sit upside down for 2 days (it's a 200ml bottle so the top is flat) then basically whacked the poo poo out of it from every angle for about 20 minutes. I used a dry palette and didn't water the primer back at all, but did periodically rinse my brush. I used a small brush and went slowly, and it took forever but I got decent coverage without obscuring too much detail. The model was a Noxious Blightbringer and next time I prime a model that complicated I'm definitely doing it pre-assembly and then painting the nooks and crannies before putting it all together and painting the bulk of the model. It's a bitch but I'd rather not spend money on a rattle can when I already own the brush-on stuff.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I found this guy at the Toledo Game Room in the 50 cent bucket. Thought he looked rad, so I took some time and painted him up tonight. Anyone know what he is?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Under 15 posted:

I found this guy at the Toledo Game Room in the 50 cent bucket. Thought he looked rad, so I took some time and painted him up tonight. Anyone know what he is?

No idea what he is, but I love your paintjob, especially the stars and planets on the base.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
The wife and I are starting a Gloomhaven campaign with some friends later this week so we decided to try painting minis for the first time. I think they turned out pretty decent, and somehow we've spent way way too much money on paints already so I guess this is our new hobby now.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Endman posted:

No idea what he is, but I love your paintjob, especially the stars and planets on the base.

No idea either, but that is so goddam super smooth and a loving fantastic base job.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
got some termigants done as test models for expanding my nids.

I ended up doing a greater departure from my old way then for the Salamanders, but it cuts the time needed in half and I prefer the look, here is a comparison for how the new way differs:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Currently working on the old Vampire Counts Winged Vampire Lord as a counts as for the Abhorrant Archregent since the model isn't available yet.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Radioactive Toy posted:

The wife and I are starting a Gloomhaven campaign with some friends later this week so we decided to try painting minis for the first time. I think they turned out pretty decent, and somehow we've spent way way too much money on paints already so I guess this is our new hobby now.

No way those are your first minis. drat, good job, they look awesome!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Here's more bad pics of a marvel mandolly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Stupid sexy Spiderman!