Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Army Showcase: SRM's Knights of House Lakar and Household Guard

I can't describe how awesome this is. Please treat your eyeballs and go look at SRM's stuff right now. 

Goonhammer’s Reviews Process is Changing

There are some small changes coming around for 2020 at ye 'old Goonhammer, aimed at keeping our content quality on the up and up. Click though to find out more. 

Start Competing: Orks Tactics

Wings and Corrode have painted this article red in order to make it cruise though the internet pipes faster. Read it to find out how to make your orks even more cunningly brutal. 

Start Collecting Warhammer 40,000

Looking to start slamming hams or a new army? Check out this guide to all of the start collecting boxes that GW currently makes. We have broken down the points/cost/savings for each of 'em along with a quick write up if they units included are actually good.

Start Competing: This Game is Actually Not <WORDS!> – Playing From Behind and Hanging On When You Are Ahead

Naramyth writes about the philosophy on to keep your chin up and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. 

Psychic Awakening III: Blood of Baal – Lore Review

Raf continues to deliver up reviews on lore content, check out his take on PA3. I officially love this content. 

Hammer of Math: Quick Hits, 12/16/2019

Beer takes on your question in this Hammer of Math special, QUICK HITS!

Hear Me Out, Wings: World Eaters

KILL MAIM BURN, KILL MAIM BURN, KILL MAIM BURN, KILL MAIM BURN, KILL MAIM BURN!

The Narrative Forge: Battlezones (With Updated Zone Mortalis Rules!)

This is my Coda "COOL AND GOOD" article of the week. Chur goes though and lists *every* battlezone you can think of in 40k, telling you where to find them along with a quick review of each.  More importantly it includes his latest Goonhammer Approved: Zone Mortalis for 8th Edition.

Kill Team Annual Review, Part 3: Xenos Factions

The crew continues to go through the KT annual.

Adepta Sororitas in Kill Team

Alfredo talks about Kill Teams newest faction: sisters in.

Necromunday: The 2019 FAQ

Merton and Dan look at the 2019 Necro FAQ. 

Warlord Wednesdays: Knight Household Lists – Adeptus Titanicus Tactics

Sairence this one is for you! Condit and Soggy go all in on knights! 

How to Paint Everything – Sisters of Battle

Alfredo rounds up the crew's painted sisters and gets the deets on how to paint them. 

The Road to LVO: A Boon Tale, Part 1

Boon details out his ideas and expectations for LVO in the 1st of our Road to LVO series. 

The Road to LVO: A Boon Tale Part 2 – Indecision and [Primed] Plastic

Boon continues his road to LVO getting in some critical practise games. 

Eye of Horras Report: Pro Tabletop The Atlanta Open

Scott Horras talks about his experiences at The Atlanta Open. 

Naramyth Quick Trip Report: Iron Hams

Narawmyth slams hams at Iron Hams. 

Content We Liked: 12/15/2019

Content We Liked: 12/22/2019

Our weekly content round up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Corrode posted:

For future ref you did that smite wrong - if your psyker dies to perils while casting, the power fails. Glad you had a good run out with the nids though!

Ah, you’re correct, thanks. My opponent was actually the one to say it still went off so I didn’t even think to check but now I know better for next time. The Knight went down to overkill shooting in the next phase so it wouldn’t have made a big difference for that particular situation.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Chiwie posted:

Goonhammer’s Reviews Process is Changing

There are some small changes coming around for 2020 at ye 'old Goonhammer, aimed at keeping our content quality on the up and up. Click though to find out more. 

Silly question. Any idea why haven't GW put you on the 'advance copy review' list? Do you need to be a right leaning youtube channel? Can we message GW to encourage them to add you? Noone is putting out content on the level of you guys, especially ad free.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Harkano posted:

... Noone is putting out content on the level of you guys...

There is no forum/venue that doesn't unanimously agree on this fact. The response to goonhammer has been so overwhelmingly positive that from my vantage it seems 'street-cred' is at an all time high right now (and deservedly so). I can't believe its anything other than just how quickly Goonhammer climbed to the top to explain why they haven't been put on some advanced copy review list.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Chiwie posted:

Start Competing: Orks Tactics

Wings and Corrode have painted this article red in order to make it cruise though the internet pipes faster. Read it to find out how to make your orks even more cunningly brutal. 

Thanks for this, it’s super hard to get comprehensive and up to date analysis on one place- especially for any of the new vehicle options. Also it’s about drat time others see the Wazbom being the best flyer option.

I do feel that deffkoptas will be a bigger hit with the point drop now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Harkano posted:

Silly question. Any idea why haven't GW put you on the 'advance copy review' list? Do you need to be a right leaning youtube channel? Can we message GW to encourage them to add you? Noone is putting out content on the level of you guys, especially ad free.

GW is a small company, it takes time to notice and manage this stuff. They given previews to plenty non alt right youtubers.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
got some termigants done as test models for expanding my nids.

I ended up doing a greater departure from my old way then for the Salamanders, but it cuts the time needed in half and I prefer the look, here is a comparison for how the new way differs:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I love how vibrant the one on the left is.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Yeah, retrospectively the highlights were not stark enough to be visible on the tabletop, so I bumped the contrast up.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Harkano posted:

Why do people have to introduce a weird slant every time they ask a question about GW lately?

GW loving hate the far right fanbase.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 23, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

GW ...good now? is still hard for people to wrap their brains around.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Why do people have to introduce a weird slant every time they ask a question about GW lately?

GW definitely isn't perfect, but their community side is really fantastic.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

moths posted:

GW ...good now? is still hard for people to wrap their brains around.

Let's not go crazy or anything, but they definitely aren't what they were.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
It's not even good, per se. They just figured out the chuds were bad for their brand and kept new people out of the hobby. Which is still much better than they were, of course.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

GW is a small company, it takes time to notice and manage this stuff. They given previews to plenty non alt right youtubers.

Sorry I was just being a bit flippant on that one. I agree there's plenty of great channels out there getting stuff from GW - presumably it's easier to measure Youtubers impact because of sub and view numbers. But also if you spend enough time in the FiTG thread there's a lot more fash adjacent channels in the mainstream than any of us would like.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Let's also not forget that GW nearly released a klansmen Necromunda model complete with an assortment of nooses to hang other people.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeah that was pretty yeesh but I mostly chalk it up to GW being a bunch of Brits and the KKK not really being in thier mind when designing crazy cultist dude.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
And to their credit, they delayed the release and fixed the KKKawdor model.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Hihohe posted:

Yeah that was pretty yeesh but I mostly chalk it up to GW being a bunch of Brits and the KKK not really being in thier mind when designing crazy cultist dude.

The parts of the specific imagery that were problematic are definitely a uniquely American issue, that's for sure.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

GW definitely isn't perfect, but their community side is really fantastic.

And apparently they have a huge sway on things these days as well from what I remember reading a while ago. Even if the specifics elude me somewhat.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Agreed, it really says more that they didn't release him.

It also looks like they've combined the Cawdor and Redemptionists thematically, so there's near-zero chance that we'll see red klansmen this edition.

FWIW, classic Cawdor didn't have the update's noose imagery or fire gimmicks. Those were both Redemptionist, and there's little else that made the aesthetic / rule distinction beyond the hoods.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Let's also not forget that GW nearly released a klansmen Necromunda model complete with an assortment of nooses to hang other people.

I don't think that's fair. They were trying to pay homage to like, the Spanish capirote to invoke imagery of religious zealotry using Catholic aesthetic as they've done since the inception of the franchise. They just hosed up because they're not Americans and forgot that that hat invokes a very different connotation.

It was an unfortunate mistake and they absolutely did the right thing backtracking on it but they really weren't looking to sneak some dig in that they support the alt right.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 23, 2019

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Your knights are next-level amazing my friend. The little lightning symbols on the hatch.

Did you freestyle all those different symbols?

Those are just the decals that come with the knight kits. But thanks for believing I could!

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

R0ckfish posted:

got some termigants done as test models for expanding my nids.

I ended up doing a greater departure from my old way then for the Salamanders, but it cuts the time needed in half and I prefer the look, here is a comparison for how the new way differs:

This looks great, just the scheme I was thinking of for my Genestealers. Which paints did you use for each colour?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
So. Primaris librarian or Phobos librarian? What do you guys think? I can really only judge them about looks so I'd love to hear some opinions on them from a tabletop perspective.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

So. Primaris librarian or Phobos librarian? What do you guys think? I can really only judge them about looks so I'd love to hear some opinions on them from a tabletop perspective.

Phobos is good with other Phobos dudes, but if you're just looking to use chapter psyker powers a regular librarian is all good. The standard librarian powers are still ok as well and if you want to go all in you can do well blending might with and chapter spells with the chief librarian strategem.

I use a phobos librarian with my raven guard but not every chapter is going to want to spend the extra couple of points if they don't revolve around tricks and bullshit.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Phobos.

Its got extra rules, access to stuff like mind raid and tenebrous curse.

but most importantly the primaris librarian model is a pain in the rear end to work with.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Boing posted:

This looks great, just the scheme I was thinking of for my Genestealers. Which paints did you use for each colour?

I can give a paint rack dump:

PAINT SET: Leviathan

Skin:
Screaming Skull - Citadel - 9068
Contrast Medium - Citadel - 27-33
Carroburg Crimson - Citadel
Ushabti Bone - Citadel - 9067

Carapace - Simplified :
Shyish Purple - Citadel - 29-15
Genestealer Purple - Citadel - 9045
Dechala Lilac - Citadel - 9154

Claws/Guns - Simplified :
Flesh Tearers Red - Citadel - 29-13
Nuln Oil - Citadel
Squig Orange - Citadel - 9043
Kislev Flesh - Citadel - 9072

Eyes - Simplified :
Yriel Yellow - Citadel - 9036
Casandora Yellow - Citadel
Flash Gitz Yellow - Citadel - 9037
Abaddon Black - Citadel - 9027

Soft Flesh:
Fyreslayer Flesh - Citadel - 29-31
Carroburg Crimson - Citadel

Teeth - Simplified :
Ushabti Bone - Citadel - 9067
Skeleton Horde - Citadel - 29-26

Tongues - Simplified :
Screamer Pink - Citadel - 9030
Druchii Violet - Citadel
Emperor's Children - Citadel - 9096

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I really like this tutorial for painting Tyranids. Spray the model a color, then use a wash over the entire thing, then drybrush using layer paints and add details. It's not time consuming and produces some great table-ready minis just from that, and even better if you use that as a basis to take your time adding details. Which I only do on the bigger bugs, because I definitely do not have R0ckfish's patience to use that many paints on Termagants.

https://youtu.be/GvQWWGqux2U

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Speckled Jim posted:

Those are just the decals that come with the knight kits. But thanks for believing I could!

The decals are applied exquisitely and the fact that they are decals does not diminish your efforts!!!!

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Last painted model of 2019. Pretty happy with how it came out.

Please excuse the poor camera phone.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Finished up the test model for my Iron Hands scheme.

Ignore the super big base. I just needed something to balance him on while I took pictures. Thinking I like the blue accents instead of the red, so I'll probably keep going with that. I'm not super happy with the way a lot of the edge highlights just disappear on camera. I think I'm doing something wrong with the lighting, but I'm not sure what.

I also need to work on my decal application. This was my first time working with them, and I definitely didn't do enough relief cuts.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
That is one handsome Iron lad

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Hihohe posted:

A capirote has a meaning for Americans that isn't there for most of the rest of the world. GW deserves credit for pulling the model once that context was pointed out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Phobos.

Its got extra rules, access to stuff like mind raid and tenebrous curse.

but most importantly the primaris librarian model is a pain in the rear end to work with.

Yeah but you're more likely to use chapter psychic powers now. So you can save a few points that way unless you're desperate for the Phobos stuff

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

LifeLynx posted:

I really like this tutorial for painting Tyranids. Spray the model a color, then use a wash over the entire thing, then drybrush using layer paints and add details. It's not time consuming and produces some great table-ready minis just from that, and even better if you use that as a basis to take your time adding details. Which I only do on the bigger bugs, because I definitely do not have R0ckfish's patience to use that many paints on Termagants.

https://youtu.be/GvQWWGqux2U

I applaud the spirit of sharing helpful links, and I'm not having a go at you, but please don't post StrikingScorpion here. He is, at best fash-adjacent, as well as having all sorts of other far right weirdo warning signs.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

I applaud the spirit of sharing helpful links, and I'm not having a go at you, but please don't post StrikingScorpion here. He is, at best fash-adjacent, as well as having all sorts of other far right weirdo warning signs.

When someone said a youtuber was basically a nazi a while back I did say I have no idea which warhammer community dudes are fascists or whatever and a list from someone of who to avoid would be really good and no one said anything.

So unless we are going to have a list in the OP, it seems like a big waste of energy to occasionally have to tell people "hey BTW that dude is a total arsehole and we agree we shouldn't be supporting him".

I'm totally on board with not supporting those dudes, but if it turns out I've been watching a bunch of videos of a fascist and I have no idea because he doesn't advertise it in the videos and no one tells me here unless they literally post a link, I'm going to be accidentally supporting them.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Kitchner posted:

When someone said a youtuber was basically a nazi a while back I did say I have no idea which warhammer community dudes are fascists or whatever and a list from someone of who to avoid would be really good and no one said anything.

So unless we are going to have a list in the OP, it seems like a big waste of energy to occasionally have to tell people "hey BTW that dude is a total arsehole and we agree we shouldn't be supporting him".

I'm totally on board with not supporting those dudes, but if it turns out I've been watching a bunch of videos of a fascist and I have no idea because he doesn't advertise it in the videos and no one tells me here unless they literally post a link, I'm going to be accidentally supporting them.

There is a whole second thread about it and they linked to it.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887733&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

It's in the OP of the thread dedicated to it so we don't have to poo poo up this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Booley posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887733&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

It's in the OP of the thread dedicated to it so we don't have to poo poo up this one.

For whatever reason ArchWarhammer isn't mentioned in that OP.

He is regardless CHUDly as hell. Avoid at all costs.