Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
aaaand that's the end of Gakkou Gurashi/School Live!. It was quite a ride. Really not sure if they really ever planned on wrapping it up but the ending wasn't bad.

I did like the whole "school doesn't exist(because nobody is left alive except the handful of us basically) so I am reforming the idea of school by opening this one outdoor classroom!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

There are so many good moments with Jack this chapter. Keeping with the idea that every match has a major theme connecting the two fighters, Jack being the inverse of Hercules is the right direction. Not being phased by a dislocated shoulder and being slammed into a wall at high force because it's what his art demands is unsettling and weirdly inspiring. Him being positively erect at being able to set up Herc for whatever disaster Jack has in mind has me eager to see what his deal is. Magic eye, must mean that Jack has killed because he delights on the twisting of the soul during the last moments of his victims. And the brighter the soul, the darker the distortion.
Makes you wonder if he just wanted to spoil the souls of the unfortunate prostitutes or if there were some bobbies he wanted to introduce to the despair of failure as well.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Captain Invictus posted:

aaaand that's the end of Gakkou Gurashi/School Live!. It was quite a ride. Really not sure if they really ever planned on wrapping it up but the ending wasn't bad.

I did like the whole "school doesn't exist(because nobody is left alive except the handful of us basically) so I am reforming the idea of school by opening this one outdoor classroom!"

I haven't followed the manga since the anime, but I'm glad it ended mostly well for the cast.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Hypocrisy posted:

Aww...Hercules' mortal friends still believe in him. I'm increasingly certain Hercules is going to lose though.

Herc will lose where Alcides would have won.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
:siren:GOOD MANGA ALERT:siren:

The Dragon, the Hero, and the Courier is about an apprentice postal courier dealing with the emerging logistical infrastructure of an evolving fantasy adventure world.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Two chapters of OUT in two days? Hell yeah.

poo poo is getting quite serious

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
The art is cute, and the premise is nifty, but why is everything a video game? Why are there levels? Why are there save points?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Serge Painsbourg posted:

New Shuumatsu, heroes and evildoers.

That's a pretty creative use for the mythology there.

Oh, hey Bill. Didn't notice you there.

Nex chapter-
Humanity: “Are we the baddies?"
Gods: “Did we have any vacancies for a god of serial killing?”

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

The art is cute, and the premise is nifty, but why is everything a video game? Why are there levels? Why are there save points?

Do you mean in dragon/hero/courier? That's just what the world is like.

It seems like a Dungeon Meshi setup, taking a very stereotypical fantasy setting and then overthinking it, except with society instead of ecology.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Syritta posted:

It seems like a Dungeon Meshi setup, taking a very stereotypical fantasy setting and then overthinking it, except with society instead of ecology.

This is certainly what appeals to me about it. The author has obviously put a ton of thought into their world building. Some writers do this and then are so proud of all their work that they just have to vomit it out so you feel like you're reading an atlas or dictionary. Here, we have a naive rookie getting out into the real world for the first time as our POV character, so explanations come when relevant, and they feel organic when they happen.

It's only a couple chapters in, so it may well be premature to gush, but so far it really reminds me of some of my favorite currently running manga: Dungeon Meshi, Heterogeneous Linguistics, and Guns & Stamps.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
final chapter of Hanebado went up.

Overall I liked it a lot, but imo it backs off too hard on the mom being a piece of poo poo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
final out chapter of the volume for and :prepop: a few have come out at once so careful you don't spoil yourself

https://mangadex.org/chapter/767722/1

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Jose posted:

final out chapter of the volume for and :prepop: a few have come out at once so careful you don't spoil yourself

https://mangadex.org/chapter/767722/1

ahhh the wait for the next volume is gonna kill me!!!

This is my fav manga

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Anyone reading The Fable? It's about a legendary hitman who has to lay low for a year in a small town. It's mostly comedic although there's a certain edge to it what with the crazy Yakuza in the cast.

Fable himself is a juxtaposition between childishness (he's obsessed with a comedian called Jackal and doesn't seem to have any other interests at the start of the series) and cold blooded ruthlessness when required.

I'm finding it entertaining although I'm probably missing quite a lot of jokes given my limited exposure to Japanese culture outside of manga...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chas McGill posted:

Anyone reading The Fable? It's about a legendary hitman who has to lay low for a year in a small town. It's mostly comedic although there's a certain edge to it what with the crazy Yakuza in the cast.

Fable himself is a juxtaposition between childishness (he's obsessed with a comedian called Jackal and doesn't seem to have any other interests at the start of the series) and cold blooded ruthlessness when required.

I'm finding it entertaining although I'm probably missing quite a lot of jokes given my limited exposure to Japanese culture outside of manga...

Yeah it's been ok? Some definite good moments but a few odd or boring bits. The chapters are short though so if it's a miss it's a short one.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

He has a bit of a saitama vibe going on, I like it.

A pretty drat cool gangster manga that started recently is my home hero (https://mangadex.org/title/36496/my-home-hero). Reminds me a bit of the breaking bad loop.

For more cool gangster manga i'd recommend ushijima kun (https://mangadex.org/title/1395/yamikin-ushijima-kun/), shinjuku swan (https://mangadex.org/title/15269/shinjuku-swan)

and a more high school focused one called Yankee go to (juku https://mangadex.org/title/38594/yankee-juku-e-iku)

and completely unrelated, is anyone following chisakobee (https://mangadex.org/title/18207/chiisakobee)? The art style is pretty cool and the plot is chill but tense.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 17, 2019

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Finally picking up Usogui again. Currently at the Sicilian Bull arc and them giving a nice guy backstory to Karl is the funniest thing.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Nipponophile posted:

This is certainly what appeals to me about it. The author has obviously put a ton of thought into their world building. Some writers do this and then are so proud of all their work that they just have to vomit it out so you feel like you're reading an atlas or dictionary. Here, we have a naive rookie getting out into the real world for the first time as our POV character, so explanations come when relevant, and they feel organic when they happen.

It's only a couple chapters in, so it may well be premature to gush, but so far it really reminds me of some of my favorite currently running manga: Dungeon Meshi, Heterogeneous Linguistics, and Guns & Stamps.

Chapter 2 reminded me a lot of Drifting Dragons.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Finally picking up Usogui again. Currently at the Sicilian Bull arc and them giving a nice guy backstory to Karl is the funniest thing.

I really like that manga! Good arc too.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
If anyone was waiting for the current Immortal arch to end, it's over. Time to catch up!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

I really like that manga! Good arc too.

Yeah. It ruled hard. Wish the TL didn't fluctuate wildly in quality though, probably the only bad thing about this manga.

I also feel like I missed something because I thought Marco died in the maze gamble but he's fine in the tower...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

nerdz posted:

If anyone was waiting for the current Immortal arch to end, it's over. Time to catch up!

Sweet thanks. Finally!

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah. It ruled hard. Wish the TL didn't fluctuate wildly in quality though, probably the only bad thing about this manga.

I also feel like I missed something because I thought Marco died in the maze gamble but he's fine in the tower...

I definitely don't sweat the details in the manga. Like you said the translation is really bad and the subject matter is pretty complex. I just read it and wonder when Usogui is going to say "you are a big liar".

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So I started reading Chi no Wadachi from Oshimi Shuuzou trying to remember where did I recognize the author from. A few chapters in and yeah, I think I remember

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This final (?) arc of Usogui is nothing like I expected. What a great manga lol

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

To Your Eternity: what the gently caress

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This final (?) arc of Usogui is nothing like I expected. What a great manga lol

I think it's at least gonna be the 2nd to last arc (if its even wrapping up). I say that because after this arc is over that sets up the "challenging the leader" game which would almost certainly be a separate arc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It finished a while back so you can compare chapter/volume numbers to have an idea of how much is left

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Rody One Half posted:

To Your Eternity: what the gently caress
That was certainly not what I expected

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
you didnt expect a japanese series to transition to japanese high school

Relin fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 24, 2019

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
how bout some spoilers uh, it just came out

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I will continue my long vigil of waiting for that to end, because holy poo poo do I not need that story beating the poo poo out of me on a regular basis.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This is, without exaggeration, the weirdest turn this story has taken.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
It, however, is a good time to catch up! There's a massive time jump and probably a change in the concept of the series moving forward.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I still have to get into this series but the spoilers make it sound like everything up until now is prologue?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Not exactly

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I’ve had it on my “to read” list since it started/A Silent Voice finished. guess i’ll try and catch up so i can join in the thread chat

chapter 10 spoiler: holy moley [timg]https://i.imgur.com/WfOTTZP.png[/timg]

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
To you, my immortal is a rollercoaster ride that regularly gets super weird. I know a bunch of people think some parts of it are pretty weak, but I personally loved every strange direction it decided to veer into.

Last chapter spoiler:
Also its apparently a prequel to Silent Voice now. :v:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I appreciate how weird and daring it is. It's so drat sad at times though.

Oima is really exciting as an artist and writer, pretty amazing she's only 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The first chapter is an amazing stand-alone short story. A++, would recommend.

The rest is, well... not as amazing, so i fell off after a dozen chapters or so. I'll probably get back to it eventually.