Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

SpaceCadetBob posted:

As a dad who does like video games, I found the only thing that worked was to play games that me 3 year old could watch with me.

Just curious, which games? Was wondering about introducing my 2 year old to Portal but decided a physics lesson combined with a lead vocal character described as a jealous girlfriend shouldn't be first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

Just curious, which games? Was wondering about introducing my 2 year old to Portal but decided a physics lesson combined with a lead vocal character described as a jealous girlfriend shouldn't be first.

Not who you asked, but my son used to love to watch me play things like Super Mario, Kirby, and the sort at that age. Bright happy colors, and nothing inappropriate (by my standards, at least).

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
My 3.5 year old loves Untitled Goose Game and the Link's Awakening remake

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

It is crazy how much exponentially more busy adding in a second child becomes.

As a dad who does like video games, I found the only thing that worked was to play games that me 3 year old could watch with me. This works out pretty well because after dinner They two boys get pretty rowdy with each other and we have been having to split them up either way. My son already knows most of the pokemon names!

On Saturday my older son went with his grandparents for a long day for the first time (7 hours!) and holy poo poo going back to just one kid for the day felt like a holiday. And that was even as a solo dad because I ordered my wife to rest as much as possible that day because her catching RSV from the kids gave her a wicked ear infection.

I joked with a friend of mine that Steam needs a 'dad games' category that is basically turn based games you can play with a mouse primarily single player that you can drop and pick up at random without forgetting all the mechanics. His gaming fix is Civilization games which he plays muted while rocking his kid to sleep.

I can't imagine anyone who plays a MMO in a clan /group/whatever that has a kid under 3 that isn't neglecting their kid, their spouse, and /or their sleep. Because there's just not enough hours in the day for a hobby like that without screwing up your family to some degree.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Heners_UK posted:

I have one of those 1Up Galaga machines and my daughter loves watching that (even playing a bit - her high score is 1370). My guess would be that older 2D games like that are easier for really young kids to track and make sense of.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Though, if you get them really into watching you game, they eventually absolutely will back seat driver you. Kid is on and off watching me play Dragon Quest XI now, and with all the teenage attitude in the world feels totally comfortable telling me exactly what I should do and when, and getting all huffy when I do not follow his 'advice'.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

It's more violent than some parents prefer, but my first kid watched a lot of Skyrim when he was younger than three (we moved right before he was three and didn't hook the xbox back up, so I know that's when he watched it); his first intelligible spoken word was "potato" (to be fair, we also eat a lot of potatoes), from the age of two to about four he assumed all crab-shaped toys were mudcrabs, and he liked to pretend to fight dragons.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My 3yo enjoys playing Diesel Railcar Simulator for about 20 minutes. Trains are, obviously, easier to steer than cars.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

The Pirate Captain posted:

Because I spend so much time with her, I'm our daughter's favorite by a mile, which is hurtful to mom, but I don't want to point out why I'm the favorite because saying "she'd like you better if you spent more time with her" would be a huge rear end in a top hat thing to do.
I've been my son's favorite since birth for exactly the same reason. I've long felt less like "a parent" and more like "the parent".

We have two cats (one pre-child and one post-child). She grouses that they follow me around the house and they don't spend time her. I've told her straight up, "If you feed them every day, even one of the two meals, you'll be their favorite too." She doesn't say anything in response. She also doesn't even make a token effort to feed them for even a few days after these conversations.

In regards to our child, before his first birthday, it was clear that she wasn't making the effort to spend more time with him. Feeling similarly to you that she'd react negatively if I said something similar to the cats, I framed the conversation like this:

"Both you and your sister aren't close to your father and you've told me it was because he wouldn't spend time with you growing up. I'm concerned that based the little amount of time you've spent to make time with our son, he's going to develop a similar feeling toward you."

I was prepared for a variety of responses. Shoot the messenger, be defensive, turn what I said into something else and fight me on that. What she said shocked me.

Calmly and matter-of-factly, she responded with "Yeah, that's about the amount of time I can spend with him."

She clearly heard what I said, and instead of being hurt or feeling guilty enough to make an effort-response of, "You're right; I need to do more to help raise our child." she just said, "Yep."

He's four now and it's only a little bit better. Once every few weeks or so: "I'll pick him up from daycare tonight; I need to spend more time with him." Maybe they'll work on a small, 1 hour project together. Or watch TV. Or play a phone game. But that's it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Oh boy. My son has a little blanket from the hospital (a taggie) that he’s slept with for maybe the last 8-9 months-he uses it for soothing and he’ll usually throw it on top of his face or cuddle with it in his crib.

Well yesterday he decided he would start to throw it out of his crib, then he realizes he needs it and cries because he won’t sleep without it.

This has now led to a game where he tosses it out, we retrieve it, and repeat that 3-4 times before he goes down finally. We wait until he’s cried for a bit, we’ve tried just going in immediately-nothing works.

Hopefully this is a short phase. Any suggestions?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Well, we found out for sure today we miscarried. Still no fetal pole even though the blood count was encouraging, so back to depression after getting our hopes up.

Naturally our son chose today to just lose his poo poo for no reason. He had been at daycare and my wife is off work for two weeks, so we used the day to run errands and work on the house. My wife insisted on picking him up from daycare before going to our last destination, Target, against my protests and I just let it go even though I told her he was going to lose his poo poo like he did on Saturday and not be happy with anything and refuse to listen and time spent shopping without dealing with that is precious and not frequent.

Confirmed. Started losing his poo poo in the car, all the way to target, got him a snack at Sonic he didn’t eat, kept standing up in the shopping cart (he was STRAPPED IN), wouldn’t walk, wanted to ride the cart. We had two carts worth of poo poo and we had to take him out and forego one cart because he wasn’t having any of it and people were staring. The worst he’s acted in public ever. On top of this my wife has a URI and feels like poo poo, and he didn’t listen when she took him back to the car and wanted to climb and press buttons. He’s routinely thrashing and crying during diaper changes and it now takes two of us, it took all I had not to scream at the top of my lungs trying to drive a sick, cranky wife and a belligerent toddler home after just two hours of this.

No idea what’s gotten into him or if it’s normal at 19mo for them to go full rear end in a top hat but he was fine yesterday and I refuse to believe it’s anything but him not getting his way, and my wife feeds it by letting him watch Frozen on her phone so much that I could almost believe he expects it and gets mad when there’s not something in his hands immediately.

My wife is going to bed early and quite frankly YES. Go to bed early.

nwin posted:

Oh boy. My son has a little blanket from the hospital (a taggie) that he’s slept with for maybe the last 8-9 months-he uses it for soothing and he’ll usually throw it on top of his face or cuddle with it in his crib.

Well yesterday he decided he would start to throw it out of his crib, then he realizes he needs it and cries because he won’t sleep without it.

This has now led to a game where he tosses it out, we retrieve it, and repeat that 3-4 times before he goes down finally. We wait until he’s cried for a bit, we’ve tried just going in immediately-nothing works.

Hopefully this is a short phase. Any suggestions?

Roll with it. My son does the same still, including his pacis. He used to cry when he couldn’t get to them, now he throws it all out and rolls around his crib talking to himself and making toddler noises. He reaches for it when one of us comes in but beyond that there haven’t been issues anymore.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 24, 2019

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Heners_UK posted:

Three games that I play at the moment are farm simulator since my kid loving loves tractors, pokemon shield which like I mentioned my kid already knows most of the pokemon names, and the new switch fit adventure which helps me work out lightly and my kid loves to try to copy the exercises while “catching not-pokemon monsters” as he says.

I do wonder if some of these spousal issues we are all grousing about change/ get better as kids start to get older, I feel like a lot of the posts on the last few pages are all about relatively young >6 year olds.

SpaceCadetBob fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 24, 2019

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’m guessing you don’t hear about them as much for older kids because these issues either get worked out from counseling (or just good communication) or the parents split up as the one pulling most of the weight hits a breaking point and no longer tolerates the lovely behavior.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I've never played it, but Gratuitious Space Battles allows you to build big honking spaceships and make them shoot glowly lazers at each other while you sit back and cackle.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Heners_UK posted:

I was surprised that my 4 year old took to the Portal Bridge Constructor that I'd installed ages ago. He can sort of do the tutorials which I was shocked as hell about.

His jam for about a month was Hole.io.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

whydirt posted:

I’m guessing you don’t hear about them as much for older kids because these issues either get worked out from counseling (or just good communication) or the parents split up as the one pulling most of the weight hits a breaking point and no longer tolerates the lovely behavior.

Yup. One of my friends who is a therapist who works with couples says usually after a prolonged period of that poo poo the person doing all the stuff is just done. Like done, done, doesn't even want to try to fix the marriage when their partner insists they want to try because they communicated to their partner eleventy billion times previously and were never listened to so they are DONE and it's too late.

If any of you guys are that not pulling your weight partner, maybe keep that in mind.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Cheesus posted:

I've been my son's favorite since birth for exactly the same reason. I've long felt less like "a parent" and more like "the parent".

We have two cats (one pre-child and one post-child). She grouses that they follow me around the house and they don't spend time her. I've told her straight up, "If you feed them every day, even one of the two meals, you'll be their favorite too." She doesn't say anything in response. She also doesn't even make a token effort to feed them for even a few days after these conversations.

In regards to our child, before his first birthday, it was clear that she wasn't making the effort to spend more time with him. Feeling similarly to you that she'd react negatively if I said something similar to the cats, I framed the conversation like this:

"Both you and your sister aren't close to your father and you've told me it was because he wouldn't spend time with you growing up. I'm concerned that based the little amount of time you've spent to make time with our son, he's going to develop a similar feeling toward you."

I was prepared for a variety of responses. Shoot the messenger, be defensive, turn what I said into something else and fight me on that. What she said shocked me.

Calmly and matter-of-factly, she responded with "Yeah, that's about the amount of time I can spend with him."

She clearly heard what I said, and instead of being hurt or feeling guilty enough to make an effort-response of, "You're right; I need to do more to help raise our child." she just said, "Yep."

He's four now and it's only a little bit better. Once every few weeks or so: "I'll pick him up from daycare tonight; I need to spend more time with him." Maybe they'll work on a small, 1 hour project together. Or watch TV. Or play a phone game. But that's it.

I don’t understand, what is she doing with her time instead? Does she work a ton? And how are you just letting her get away with it?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

some of you might have legitimate sociopaths for partners, but a lot of you sound like your partners have postpartum depression and anxiety. it can go on for years, and it's not their fault their brain broke.

when our twins were born my wife didn't like being around them. she felt awful about that, but then made excuses to not be around them. there was a lot of stigma for us to get past, and financial barriers, and lots of honest discussions about feelings. eventually she was able to see a therapist, and got some medication, and things have improved significantly.

try not to judge your partners too severely, especially if the two of you are talking about how they feel as a parent. they might be carrying a lot of guilt, because they can't be the parent they want to be right now, and they might not know why they feel that...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
In the case of lazy dads, I think in part it was how they were raised. They might have had moms that are much like their wives "If I don't do it then it won't get done" and they just lean hard on gender roles and using silence as tacit approval. Somehow their wives don't need everything explicitly explained to them, they are able to intuit what their responsibilities are. The lazy guys play dumb and unconsciously make it more work to have these arguments than it is to just take care of their kids.

As for how they turn out, some people stay in those kinds of relationships for a depressingly long time. It's so easy to say 'leave' but the reality of having two toddlers /babies can have a boiling frog effect- it's difficult when the kids are young and they get numb to it over time. Some do divorce, and to no one's surprise those men don't change at all afterwards. I have a co worker whose wife divorced him over this (he flat out refused to do any work 'inside' their house and didn't change a single diaper for any of his three kids). Now he's convinced his wife brainwashed his kids into hating him and is in a custody battle over kids that can't even stand being around their dad.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Panfilo posted:

I joked with a friend of mine that Steam needs a 'dad games' category that is basically turn based games you can play with a mouse primarily single player that you can drop and pick up at random without forgetting all the mechanics. His gaming fix is Civilization games which he plays muted while rocking his kid to sleep.

I can't imagine anyone who plays a MMO in a clan /group/whatever that has a kid under 3 that isn't neglecting their kid, their spouse, and /or their sleep. Because there's just not enough hours in the day for a hobby like that without screwing up your family to some degree.

I have no children but I play Final Fantasy 14, an MMO, and I have had several cases where we're in a dungeon doing our thing and a person goes AFK and comes back minutes later with "sorry kids" and I'm always puzzled at how the heck they're handling that. Get a game you can pause, you're inconveniencing other people and ignoring your kid(s).

e: It's even worse if they're a healer because if the healer or tank goes AFK the entire dungeon screeches to a halt while we wait for them to come back.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

BonoMan posted:

The one thing I'm terrible at is cooking. Like... it paralyzes me. I can make things from time to time but it takes foreeevver for me to do it as I never grew up doing it. But I can see how much stress it would take off my wife if I did just cook like twice a week so that's going to be my new year's resolution.

Look into the Instant Pot, it will make you feel like a cooking genius. It comes with an IP-specific recipe book, plenty more available online, and you literally just dump ingredients in/set the cook timer/walk away and amazing food comes out of it 20 minutes later. It's really hard to screw up. Absolute lifesaver when it cooks everything in about 1/5 of the time that the oven or stove would. Accidentally make the best chili or ribs you've ever had.

Your new year's resolution is now to look into the Instant Pot.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Blinkz0rz posted:

My 3.5 year old loves Untitled Goose Game

:same: I showed my 4yo how to play, and she loved running around honking at people. We're onto Luigi's Mansion now since it's pretty co-op friendly.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Nintendo games are great to play around kids. If you haven't played Breath of the Wild yet, its a good opportunity!

Edit: My oldest is now 7 and we use games as a family fun thing. We just got Mario Party and that's been fun to play as a family and use it as an opportunity to work on game rage, losing, etc.

We also play Minecraft together now on our computers. We do our best to limit video game time to a family together sort of thing.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 24, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

hellotoothpaste posted:

Look into the Instant Pot, it will make you feel like a cooking genius. It comes with an IP-specific recipe book, plenty more available online, and you literally just dump ingredients in/set the cook timer/walk away and amazing food comes out of it 20 minutes later. It's really hard to screw up. Absolute lifesaver when it cooks everything in about 1/5 of the time that the oven or stove would. Accidentally make the best chili or ribs you've ever had.

Your new year's resolution is now to look into the Instant Pot.

I have one. I've had it for a year. I've used it once. It indeed was nice.

This doesn't bode well for my resolution does it?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

hellotoothpaste posted:

Look into the Instant Pot

Thank your for validating my Christmas gift to my other half

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Sous vide + instant pot has been a godsend. Being able to put dinner essentially on autopilot is amazing when you need to entertain a toddler who you can't take your eyes off for a minute to watch something on the stove. The sous vide especially so, since I used to have a 1.5 hour commute, so I'd just take meat out of the freezer and throw it in the water bath in the morning, then start the cook before leaving work.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

BonoMan posted:

I have one. I've had it for a year. I've used it once. It indeed was nice.

This doesn't bode well for my resolution does it?

Break it out and find a recipe damnit! :)

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I know this is a total derail, but my wife and I had to become pretty self sufficient cooks a long time ago when she was diagnosed with Celiac. We both didn’t cook at all before then and suddenly we had to basically cook all the time, as back then gluten free wasn’t as trendy as it is now.

Regardless we both really love cooking, but I gotta say I hate instant pot cookbooks. Even though the food is always pretty good there are so many loving recipes that I suffer decision paralysis from them. I find the same with a lot of our friends that don’t cook as much too. They all have one of these, but the cookbooks seemed designed to make your eyeballs just slide off the page.

Our secret for success is to make a specific meal for a friend that wants to learn to cook more with them over to watch/ help. Then we do it again at their place with us helping them use their appliances/ utensils. Then finally a few months later we see them again and they fly solo. This way they slowly build up a repertoire if meals that they know they can actually make.

We have passed on so many recipes this way. Even when we want to try something new we plan on making it at least three times over the next month so that we can modify/improve it while we can still remember what it was like the previous time.

Of course all of this is way less frequent over this last loving year. Having two kids blows cooking out of the water most of the time.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Alternately, if you can wrangle childcare for a few hours or go in with a few parent friends, you could try prepping & freezing a bunch of large batch meals. The ‘Don’t Worry Dinner’s in the Freezer’ cookbook got us through some very busy life periods, where we’d dedicate a weekend day to shopping, prepping, cooking and storing dinners for about a month’s worth of food. The day itself takes planning, but then we had like 30 meals where it was thaw&bake, maybe cook some rice and heat an extra veg.

Even now, we usually keep a few entrees stored for crazy weeks.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Curry is just chopped vegetables cooked in spiced coconut milk. go to an asian grocery and pick up a few cans of Maesri brand tinned spice sauce. Half of one will be enough for a family sized vat of whatever. i think a full can is fine but my wife says that's way too spicy for her, so YMMV.

Get different flavors of the sauce so you don't burn out on the standard yellow stuff.

killer crane posted:

some of you might have legitimate sociopaths for partners, but a lot of you sound like your partners have postpartum depression and anxiety. it can go on for years, and it's not their fault their brain broke.

-

try not to judge your partners too severely, especially if the two of you are talking about how they feel as a parent. they might be carrying a lot of guilt, because they can't be the parent they want to be right now, and they might not know why they feel that...

VVVVVVV ah ok, gotcha.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 25, 2019

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

i was being flippant.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I like using my instant pot for various legumes. It's so much faster to make pea soup without burning it in one. You don't need to soak anything ahead of time. I also like to do chicken thighs in it. Honestly with heat up, cook, and depressure it's about as long as baking them, but it's a lot jucier. Pot roast is better too.

I still use my crockpot a lot. Some things just aren't the same. Pulled pork, turkey breast, and chili are still better slow in my opinion.

My mom taught me how to cook pretty early. I was cooking Easter dinner myself when I was in middle school. I taught my husband how when he moved in with me in college. We didn't have a lot of money, so it helped a lot. Now we just like to cook together. It's one of the skills I hope to pass on to my kids. I get my 7 year old to help already. He was helping me make his great Grandma's Christmas cookie recipe this year.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BadSamaritan posted:

The ‘Don’t Worry Dinner’s in the Freezer’ cookbook got us through some very busy life periods,

Thanks for this. We love freezing meals before busy periods especially (e.g., before babies are born), so I'll have to look up this book.

My daughter loves 'cooking', we just made Mommy some slaw today.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
We got Not Your Mother's Make-Ahead-and-Freeze Cookbook pre-childbirth and it paid off well; we're still eating some of the soups a year later. Lots of solid recipes(if a bit bland on their own) with an eye towards making stuff in bulk. Comes with several premade shopping lists, so if you want to make everything from a certain chapter it totals up all the common ingredients and tells you what to buy.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Panfilo posted:

Yeah.

I play a fair amount of single-player map-staring games, like EU4 and such. Pausable any time, no objectionable graphics, no sound required, etc.

This may have some responsibility for #3 kid's growing fascination with maps. He's almost six and will often just sit and look at an atlas or a globe or Google Maps, zooming around and finding different cool places, learning various trivia, etc.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Yup I used to play Civ with an infant cradled in a pillow on my lap. Now I just have a strict rule that any game I play must have a pause function.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Babywearing owns for this purpose, I have logged many many hours of quiet gaming with a little n00b sleeping snugly against my chest.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I find wearing a baby to be the sweatiest and most uncomfortable thing, I don't know how people do it.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Goon spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So my three year old son is suddenly having some real attitude issues. They mainly occur when we need to get ready for school or sit down for dinner. Today the school also called to say he is being antisocial with wanting to just play by himself.

I think it might be from his one year old brother taking his toys a lot, but i cant get a handle on why dinner or dressing is suddenly such a problem.

Dinner is the biggest hurdle, where he will throw a complete meltdown on how he doesn’t want to eat. Usually after a few minutes of this we can get him to eat, but it is like pulling teeth.

Man we are so tired.