Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'm having troubles, too. For whatever dumb reason, the epic launcher has been broken for months and stuff hasn't been rendering quite right. So I've been using the website to pick up the free stuff. And clicking on the button for Towerfall isn't working for me, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I got stuck on the order page at one point but I just sent the window to the tray and opened it again to give it another go. Probably just congestion.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm having troubles, too. For whatever dumb reason, the epic launcher has been broken for months and stuff hasn't been rendering quite right. So I've been using the website to pick up the free stuff. And clicking on the button for Towerfall isn't working for me, either.

Don't know if this is the same problem but if you're having any issues with the way the storefront is rendering, follow this guy's instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNCCWR2z_CU

It seems to fix any kind of error with the way the gui displays for me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Reminder to claim SUPERHOT today

Not sure which game they're teasing for tomorrow:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

repiv posted:

Reminder to claim SUPERHOT today

Not sure which game they're teasing for tomorrow:

my first thought was The Flame in the Flood, but looking at the game art it's actually a lightning bolt made to look like a match... maybe Firewatch? They messed up by leaving SUPERHOT's name in the html/image name last time, not today though...

this is legit more fun than whatever Steam is doing with their metagames these days

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Firewatch logo is a shield though, not a match (also the IP is now owned by Valve who probably aren't keen to work with Epic lol)

Little Inferno is another possibility

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

oh right yeah, I forgot they make dota skins now

yeah if it is a logo thing then yours is definitely a better pick!

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

repiv posted:

The Firewatch logo is a shield though, not a match (also the IP is now owned by Valve who probably aren't keen to work with Epic lol)

Little Inferno is another possibility

Epicdata reckons that Tomorrow Corporation are the devs/pubs so Little Inferno is a good guess, I reckon.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Breetai posted:

Don't know if this is the same problem but if you're having any issues with the way the storefront is rendering, follow this guy's instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNCCWR2z_CU

It seems to fix any kind of error with the way the gui displays for me.

Oh, nice. That fixed it! Thanks!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Today's free game is Little Inferno

Tomorrow is going to be...something with apes?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ape Out.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Gone Gorilla.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Hoping for Donkey Kong 64.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The QBASIC gorilla game.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

GORILLAS.BAS

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They had some bomb-rear end titties!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDc3ZEKl-Wc

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
It's gunna be Planet of the Apes: The Musical: The Game

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

And it's an awesome game.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

webmeister posted:

It's gunna be Planet of the Apes: The Musical: The Game

:pray:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Today's freebie is Ape Out

Tomorrow is :shrug:

A mountain makes me think Celeste but they already gave that away.

edit: yeah it's celeste, the shape is identical. this is the first time they've repeated a game then

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 23, 2019

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Getting Over It?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess we're hitting the stage of this year's indie game lives that no one is buying them anymore so they just want whatever cash can be squeezed out of companies paying to give them away.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Honestly with a lot of big indie games at this point I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people aren't buying them at launch knowing they're going to be freebies within a year.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's what I've been doing. Money is tight but subscribe to various things because I got a good deal on gamepass and subscribe to Amazon prime for other reasons, so it's nice to get these games for free.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

njsykora posted:

Honestly with a lot of big indie games at this point I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people aren't buying them at launch knowing they're going to be freebies within a year.

you say that as if people in general have ever learned their lesson of waiting to buy games they're not going to play immediately until they go on sale

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

njsykora posted:

i mean with the epic store im just assuming every game is gonna be free at some point

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
We have no idea how these free deals go on the dev side but I'd guess that now that the Steam sales aren't giving them the same spotlight as a few years ago it must be the second-best option.

gently caress me if I know how it works for games like Automachef that went up on Twitch Prime before even being released on digital stores though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I believe in those free at launch deals its a fat sack of cash to cover expected lost sales. Worked out alright for Rocket League which I think was the first big example of that.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

flatluigi posted:

you say that as if people in general have ever learned their lesson of waiting to buy games they're not going to play immediately until they go on sale

I do believe that how quickly and deeply games are discounted has an actual impact on consumer behaviour in the future, yes. It may not affect everyone equally, but the effect on the market as a whole is there.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Today is a second chance to get Celeste, which you should because it owns

I think tomorrow's game is Totally Accurate Battle Simulator

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

For a long while now, game sales have been targeted at people who buy at launch, despite there being a logic to buying later when it's cheaper and when early bugs will be fixed. There's probably some screwy effects from developers relying more on lump sums from publishers and outlets than on raw sales numbers,
but there's already been free games popping out of Xbox Gold and Playstation Plus for years, and it seems like the market persists for now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Epic cooled it with their free giveaways after a while just like Origin did. They're just in the phase of trying to get a lock on enough marketshare to be viewed as a viable option as opposed to Steam. Meanwhile, GoG is probably the nicest online store and they're doing a weird thing with Galaxy trying to integrate all digital gaming into one package.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

For a long while now, game sales have been targeted at people who buy at launch, despite there being a logic to buying later when it's cheaper and when early bugs will be fixed. There's probably some screwy effects from developers relying more on lump sums from publishers and outlets than on raw sales numbers,
but there's already been free games popping out of Xbox Gold and Playstation Plus for years, and it seems like the market persists for now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Epic cooled it with their free giveaways after a while just like Origin did. They're just in the phase of trying to get a lock on enough marketshare to be viewed as a viable option as opposed to Steam. Meanwhile, GoG is probably the nicest online store and they're doing a weird thing with Galaxy trying to integrate all digital gaming into one package.

Now that there might be half a dozen new games released on any particular day, if you don't achieve notoriety on release, nobody is going to find you buried in the pile.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I thought I had a decent amount of a backlog on steam at 130 games, but seeing a number on everything in galaxy I had double that in all the storefront giveaways combined which is pretty wild to me. I'm sure there's a bunch of things that I would have passed by and now will look out for future things from that dev or studio, most likely cheaper then if they had gone for targeted ads or something.

e: don't know the overall total they gave away, but epic has contributed 65 of those titles so far in the last year (62, i got journey last holiday sale, and shadow complex and UT reboot for free god knows when pre-store existing)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 24, 2019

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

SlothfulCobra posted:

I believe this is the big finale of the free Epic games and there won't be weekly ones in the new year.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Your christmas present is Totally Accurate Battle Simulator

Tomorrow appears to be FTL

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005
These games all suck.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Deep Thought posted:

These games all suck.

They’re free. So feel free to not get them and shut the gently caress up.

Merry Christmas.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Deep Thought posted:

These games all suck.

FTL is real good tho

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005

Zesty posted:

They’re free. So feel free to not get them and shut the gently caress up.

Merry Christmas.

I will pass on them, the two OK ones I already have, and they were discounted to a dollar about five or six years ago. Thanks for giving me the freedom not to jump through the hoops necessary to download them, I reciprocally give you the freedom to take a kick in the nuts.

And Merry Christmas also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

what is your problem