Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Maleficarum has begun to settle down.

Proof of the Charisma tome.

Recruited Branwen, Neera, and Xan, then cleared the mines. I guess I got Xan in the process of clearing the mines.

Naturally, Xan died at the first opportunity. But I'm not going to let him get his wish.

We basically obliterated Nimbul, thanks to an opening crit from my longbow.

Tranzig got punked before he could even beg us not to kill him.

A few more areas cleared and I finish off the Bandit Camp with aggressive murder.

Here is the current status of the most important person in the world.

When I get back from the holidays, Maleficarum presses into the Cloakwood to pick up Yeslick, and I guess kill more bandits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

George Jetson has returned from the Underdark.

I went and did the main quests in the drow city but ignored the side quests basically. After I rescued the eggs I went and killed Adalon. Sorry but I need that honor. I had Hexxat place some traps including some new epic level traps. Then I sent in a Planetar to provoke her and she died instantly to the traps.

We got back to Amn and killed the gith rested up at the Copper Coronet went and bought some spells at Adventure Mart and then decided to get some items made. I got Gesen Bow, Equalizer, Wave Halberd, Silver Sword, Fire Dragon Plate (I forgot to do this before leaving for Spellhold) and Crom Faeyr made. Hexxat had been wearing the shadow dragon armor for a while.

It goes to Korgan and the bow to Hexxat and the rest of the items I don't have a real use for at the moment.

I've been putting all of his HLA's in critical strike and with Improved Haste he has 8 attacks per round. He's a total beast.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
^^^Korgan is a joy to watch in action. He's like a cuisinart or and industrial blender or something, just hacking and slashing through armies at super speed.

Checking in with Montarno, last seen standing over the corpse of Davaeorn:

I made a whole walkthough of the quests in Baldur's Gate so I could get around the city efficiently but I lost it years ago, so I basically go get a couple key items around town and then move the plot along. Lathander and Marek, managed to kill Lathander. Razamith and Ragefast, no issues. The chicks with ogre strength gloves:

This fight is funny, it's only troublesome because of pathfinding and sight lines being tight in the Low Lantern. Some bar patrons starting walking around and messed up my attack but it worked out OK. Whoever put the mage behind that pillar is a jerk.

Over at Sunin's house to get an extra ring of wizardry so Imoen and Edwin both have one, I had this happen: Imoen was hasted so I thought she could run by one of Sunin's fighters and get in position. As you can see the fighter tagged her going by for 34 damage, which is a problem since she only has 33. I'm not playing Iron Party but it makes me think about it, I'd have to be a lot more careful.

Did the main quest and the first battle at the top of the Iron Throne, so it's off to Candlekeep. This group is stocked up and pretty tough now.

Went through the crypts and Montarno finally got 18 strength becoming TOO STRONG for a halfling. I continue to advance the plot back in Baldur's Gate.

This fight - storming the Flaming Fist compound to rescue the poisoned Eltan - is always weirdly tricky for me. I think it's because you have 4 or 5 clerics all casting hold person so you can get held and then lose control of the fight. This time I had Viconia drink a 50% magic resist potion for 100% total resist. You can see here Kagain (save against spells of 7) is already held and Shar Teel has also just been held but Viconia is ready in the back and casting the Remove Paralysis to get everyone going.

I usually use Branwen but Viconia is doing well. I have her using ogre strength gloves since nobody else needed them, she has 43 HP at level 7 so she's not that sturdy but she can chip in in melee very well. With holy might on and the gauntlets her 20 str 21 dex her normal sling bullets have THAC0 10 damage 12-15.

The change to slings is a pretty huge balance change that is nice, it bumps clerics with a high strength up in ranged power substantially when they needed it and makes slings a viable weapon choice even if you have other options. The change to daggers is big too but they were already pretty nice and there's no magic throwing dagger in BG1. I think the guaranteed strength tome in BG kind of changes strategy too, because say a sorcerer PC, they usually wouldn't need strength. Just carry stuff and even if you have 18 strength it doesn't add much bonus to the little melee or slinging you'll do. But with the guaranteed tome, your sorcerer, assassin, bard or whatever can walk out of candlekeep warrens with a 19 strength, which gives you some serious bonuses to melee or sling or dagger damage throughout the whole game and saves you a strength item in BG2.

Getting my invitation to the Ducal Palace, I got to use Imoen's thieving skills. I dualled her at five and put all points into Detect Illusion so she has 100. It's not that big a deal in BG but I'll shadowkeep it in BG2 and it should be really handy since I probably won't have Jan.

Saving the Dukes: (well, Liia got killed but Belt lived so good enough)

I love that they have a scroll of Minute Meteors in Baldur's Gate now, I don't remember that spell being in the original game. Maybe I just didn't know about it, but that's my favorite and I had Edwin drink two potions so that there was no chance to fail scribing. I think the scribing rolls are wonky, I had Imoen with 22 intelligence fail to scribe 4 out 5 scrolls when she had a 98% of successful scribing. That seems improbable.

I went down and scouted the maze. I always feel like the doom guards and then skeleton warrior trap hallway doesn't go that well so I tried a new strategy. First I took the doom guards with a determined assault. Then I sent Montarno, invisible and with 100% fire and lightning resist, ahead up the trapped hall, setting off the traps. The skeleton warriors have magic resistance but they still take some damage from the endless bouncing bolts.

The rest of the party is waiting far off to avoid catching a bolt:

Then my two other double hasted fighters roll in to finish the skeletons while Montarno starts the battle with a backstab (wasn't sure you could backstab a skeleton warrior. I should have used my quarterstaff!)

So I think having rested up I'll go kill those adventurers and Tamoko in the undercity and then go do the TOSC content.

Cafe Barbarian fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 24, 2019

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I have a secret foolproof strategy for the thieves maze. I turn party AI off invis everyone send the thief ahead to disarm traps and then just walk to the end. The invis is still up so leaving off AI I go straight to the temple having lost nothing more than some level 2 spell slots and maybe some potions.

I use a similar strategy for Duke Eltan. Invis everyone turn off party AI send one person to kill the doppleganger then invis again and off to the docks.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
Hah! Very nice. I use invisibility for a lot of stuff but I never thought of those ones. Long basic invisibility in BG is so luxurious.

Always interesting reading these threads. I noticed from reading the ironman threads back a ways how I would see the corpses from the wand of monster summoning in a lot of people's screens especially of Sarevok. I used it the same way at the time but it made me think about it and so I started not using that wand just to see how it went. And of course I found other things that worked, now instead I abuse the wand of paralysis to some extent.

Cafe Barbarian fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 24, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Idahoant posted:

Hah! Very nice. I use invisibility for a lot of stuff but I never thought of those ones. Long basic invisibility in BG is so luxurious.

Always interesting reading these threads. I noticed from reading the ironman threads back a ways how I would see the corpses from the wand of monster summoning in a lot of people's screens especially of Sarevok. I used it the same way at the time but it made me think about it and so I started not using that wand just to see how it went. And of course I found other things that worked, now instead I abuse the wand of paralysis to some extent.

My strategy this time around is going to be “toss a malison followed by chaos on the enchanter, since that’ll force a save vs spell at -10, and SURELY that’ll get at least one of the opponents.”

There are twenty scrolls of chaos in Sorcerous Sundries for some reason. It’s basically another wand, albeit one you cannot recharge.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I've grown to appreciate chaos, especially in SoD. It just ends fights before they even start.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

My run has completely stalled as I stand around for hours IRL trying to get Jaheria's quest to continue. I've had a few events happen regarding her Harper plot over that time but not enough to finish it. Maybe I should just move on and leave it unfinished.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Hmm, might have to try that combo out somewhere. Not that I'm anywhere near the Gate yet, but it seems like it could make a difference.

Anyway, I have an update for Isabelle, Priest of Helm, who has cleared the Nashkel Mine and most of the wilderness.

I'm not sure why I cleared this area before the Mine, but it wasn't much trouble. The mage was stunned and died nearly instantly, and mustard jellies are not as dangerous as their 2K XP reward would suggest. Honestly, the ghasts in the nearby tomb were more of a threat.

The SCS version of the mine has a lot more kobolds in it, but they're still quite tightly packed, so fireballs make short work of them. The Shaman at the end of level 3 is actually more threatening than Mulahey, even before he got held by Neera. Mulahey's reinforcements were held at bay by 4 skeleton warriors. Viconia got the Ring of Holiness, so compared to Isabelle shes actually the better spellcaster for the time being.

Into Chapter 3, the first thing to deal with is Nimbul. He was held immediately, moving on.

The 2 groups of assassins that would normally be in the middle of nowhere are moved to random encounter areas by SCS, though they only become available once Mulahey is dead. I didn't want them around for long, so I "hunted" them by continuing to explore the wilderness. Molkar decided to ambush me on the way to Ulcaster, unfortunately he failed to account for 3 casters knowing hold person, and a wand of paralyzation. He and his band died quickly.

This guy is added to Ulcaster by BG1UB, he's quite tanky but is otherwise just a moderately dangerous fighter. Seeking Sword helped to wear him down here, its duration is long enough now that Isabelle's melee DPS is increased quite a bit. It'll be even better once I get to the stronger combat buffs that priests can cast.

One of the two SCS changes to Ulcaster is a major buff to the wolf at the end of the dungeon. (I skipped Ichyard, he's quite obnoxious) It has a lot of HP, can summon ghouls and dread wolf reinforcements spawn at regular intervals. It also has some magical abilities, including horror, dispel magic and greater malison. It's quite annoying to fight, luckily it has no fire resistance and it was eventually killed with no casualties.

Moving onto the Firewine Ruins, the kobolds were mopped up without too much issue, but their sheer numbers mean they will get crits. The traps are annoying too. It didn't take too long to get to the end, though.

The mages wasted most of their spells on some sacrificed skeleton warrriors, though they did almost kill the ogre mage, and eventually made it round the corner, where the party was waiting. Lendarn was immediately paralyzed, and the ogre mage was killed in a single hit by Dorn. Could have been a lot worse, this.

On the way back to Beregost, Lamalha's group ambushed me. This was even quicker than Molkar's group, they were all dead in less than a minute.

I'll probably just go straight for the Bandit Camp next, I'd rather save the basilisks for after Imoen dual-classes.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

My run has completely stalled as I stand around for hours IRL trying to get Jaheria's quest to continue. I've had a few events happen regarding her Harper plot over that time but not enough to finish it. Maybe I should just move on and leave it unfinished.

Are you romancing her?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Suspicious posted:

Are you romancing her?

Yes. Is that gonna make it take 10x as long?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
There are *38* events in Jaheira's romance. The others only have 20 something. It's intertwined with the Harper plot so you only get her amulet at the end of it.

The event most people get stuck on is sleeping outside and waking up to an ambush. I found that resting outside De'arnise's Keep usually triggers it.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

High charisma doesn't override party members disaffecting at rep extremes, right?

Because I admit I'm a little worried about not having a shorty (Mazzy will be in the party but raining down arrows with the tuigan). Sure would be nice to have Korgan drawing all the instant death attacks that he can shrug off.

I don't have confidence in my ability to keep rep under 19; been too long since I played and I don't remember everything.

...i assume the bear is a joke character and not actually a viable replacement on account of bit being able to wear stuff?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
IIRC high charisma lowers the odds of feuding NPCs trying to kill each other. Leaving when rep reaches 19 seems to be automatic.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

You could always just murder people.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If you need advice on people you can safely murder with minimum trouble let me know.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Flint Stonington, the Dwarven Defender has cleared out the druid's grove and got the jinn to leave the market.

So, maybe I'm over-leveled (most of the party is level 11/12) but Jaheria demolished the shadow druid. Insect swarm, summon some animals/nature's allies, turn into a bear and eat her face. Aside from the initial regeneration taking a while to whittle down, there weren't any hiccups in the duel. Should I just move on with the main plot?

Also, sure hope these Tradesmeet people have some good stuff to buy, as I have a good chunk of change burning a hole in my pocket now that I remembered to sell all my gems.

Edit: Also, watching the druids get their poo poo pushed in by trolls while I turn off party AI and wait for a winner to emerge felt dirty, but in fairness, it was hilarious. I keep picturing the goodie twoshoes of the party saying, "Should... should we help them?" while the neutrals, who have had their fill of shadow druids, were taking bets on who was going to survive.

It was the trolls.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 24, 2019

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I’ve been super busy lately and forgot about this, let’s continue.

Heather & co. tackles the Nashkel mines without any problems whatsoever.

I absolutely forgot about the trio of bounty hunters outside of the mine, notice how they one-shot Imoen and delivered a lot of pain to my party? This will be a common trend in this run.

Bandit camp cleared.

On the way to Cloakwood forest, the party gets ambushed by lousy ettercaps and Jaheira gets killed.
I hate Cloakwood so much.

In the spider forest I accidentally trigger a web trap.

Neera and Imoen get turbo murdered by spiders and Heather narrowly escapes from the web in time to cure the poison. Stupid forest.

Later on I trigger yet another trap and Imoen dies again.

The bounty hunter fight is mercifully easy compared to the stupid spiders. The mines are completed even though a couple of unfortunate incidents involving ricocheting lightning bolts resulted in the death of Imoen (again).

Davaeorn goes down and that means I’m finished with this stupid forest. Decided to head on to Baldur’s Gate and beeline the main quest for now.

The fight in the Iron Throne’s Headquarters went poorly. In the opening moments, the enemy nearly kills Imoen and Khalid with magic and arrows. I decided to go down a level and try to split them up.

Notice how the mage took the other stair and casted a spell? I didn’t, until it was too late.

Confusion time.

Bugger me :(

Grabbing the bodies/items and resurrecting half the party was a pain in the rear end. Time to go up and kill the couple enemies I missed.

NOT AGAIN!

gently caress my life.

Next episode: Candlekeep redux.

Heather, the half-orc Kensai gets a snuggle with the struggle.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Stormlord Sam continues on her adventures after passing through the carnival (and bypassing the mage fight there since it's hard as balls at level 3 in BGR), aaaand

Oh gently caress oh poo poo winter wolves are tough too in BGR and I don't remember the mines area having any in the first place gently caress poo poo.

Welp. Here lies Stormlord Sam, eaten by wolves after getting paralyzed by ghoulfunk.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Rip Sam.

George Jetson killed Bodhi and is heading for the end game.

I gave up waiting for Jaheria's romance because it was taking forever.

Will probably try to finish off SoA later today.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

*~*<Just Baldur's Gate Things>*~*

(I was originally gonna make this a Blingee, and while that website somehow still exists it uses Flash and I'm not gonna touch that.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Betty the Half Orc Berserker was killed by Durlag on the second level of his tower. I was debating whether or not to finish Durlag's Tower and just attempt to finish the game to get to BG2. Well, when I loaded my save back up, I was stuck on the second level of the tower. The door leading back to the stairs was closed, so I had to press on and try and find the exit. That led me to the torture chamber where Islanne cast a lightning bolt with an unfortunate bounce that hit all of my party members multiple times, killing Neera, Alora, and Quayle outright, leaving Betty facing Islanne and Durlag alone with something like 10 HP left. She chunked Islanne, but Durlag finished Betty off soon afterwards. RIP Betty the Half Orc Berserker.

poo poo. I really really wanted to get to SoA with her. I think my next attempt will be a completely different type of character - a mage or druid, maybe.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Sorry to hear about Betty. Lightning bolt is the most dangerous spell in the game.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

George Jetson finds himself in Hell.

I've managed to get 3 spare scrolls of Time Stop so far so I figured why not do a little bit of Shapechange into a mind flayer with my clone and have the clone use 1 or all of the 3 cloned time stops. Only took 1.

For Irenicus in the tree I just had Hexxat lay 7 traps. Turned out to be way more than was needed.

Gonna take a break here and finish up Hell later.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I've never tried an Ironman run before so please enjoy my novice flailing.

My first attempt will be Cornell the Human Illusionist and I'll be playing on SCS Tactical difficulty.

The journey up to Friendly Arm Inn goes without any issues. We recruit Monty/Xzar/Khalid/Jaheira, clear out the hobgoblins and the ogre to the south for early game quests, then head down to Beregost. We then make a quick detour to High Hedge to buy some scrolls where I make my first mistake, forgetting that the skeletons have throwing daggers. Imoen goes down to a flurry of missiles before I can pull her out of range. After a trip to the temple we head back to High Hedge and clear the area more carefully. I make my second mistake by forgetting that I need two potions to guarantee scribing success and waste several scrolls (note to self: buy those potions before I leave FAI). Also, for the record, Melicamp did not survive.

We then head down to Nashkel, drop off Monty/Xzar at the inn, and pick up Minsc for the Gnoll Stronghold. Aside from the length of the trip it presents no real difficulty and we rescue Dynaheir. Afterwards we head up north again to the ankheg nest to get everyone some experience. I make my third mistake here by not realizing that once I've made an ankheg angry it will track the party out of the nest. Khalid goes down before I process what's happening, then Jaheira fails a morale check and runs around the farm for a minute, fortunately not attracting any more enemies.

After several more trips to clear the ankhegs, the party is up to level 3 and it's time for the Nashkel Mines. We progress through the top levels methodically, though I did forget the location of a couple of traps. Before confronting Mulahey I make my fourth mistake by not memorizing Sleep because I misremembered the encounter and thought it was only going to be skeletons. This makes the fight much harder than necessary and Minsc goes down late as he's not able to hold off an entire flank by himself.

Back in Beregost, we go to confront Tranzig, where he quickly disables the entire party with a succession of Sleep and Dire Charm spells. The only reason this isn't an immediate game over is because the AI keeps trying to melee the main character but is unable to fit through the doorway while Khalid's unconscious body is blocking it. After a couple minutes of AI incompetence we wake up and beat him up for his information. However, I'm going to call this attempt a full party wipe to Tranzig and start over because it should by all rights have been a loss.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

George Jetson has defeated Irenicus and reclaimed their divine soul.

I had set traps and prepared a Chain Contingency full of 3x Horrid Wiltings but they both went off during a cutscene and he took no damage from them seemingly? Not sure. Or maybe they killed his first form instantly and then he transformed into Slayer? I can't remember how this fight goes exactly. But the DPS the group had completely wiped out him and all his summons quickly.

I also killed the dragon in the other room for my last dragon challenge even though I would have rather had the elemental resistances.

Honors: Ironman, Purist, Dragon Slayer, Gaxkang's a Wuss, Legendary Arms.
Dishonors: OP-ium Addict.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Tumblr, I am really interested in that mod and I think that you should reload and carry on with it, in another thread if necessary.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I am also really curious about that mod. Would love to see more of it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Crick Watson has (briefly) been to Baldur's Gate

So on our way out of the Cloakwood...

SO ON OUR WAY OUT OF THE CLOAKWOOD, we find out a few things have kicked off.

Including Isra getting introspective about her first time confronting real ugly institutionalized evil, and not the cool and fun dragon and demon sort.

This encounter, in the wilderness area just north of Nashkel, is the kickoff to yet another quest mod, the Stone of Askavar. We fight a couple of dudes who aren't that tough, and a stone golem who is. This will be a pretty consistent theme for this mod.

We also grab a note written by someone who appears to not know what commas are. This will also be a pretty consistent theme for this mod.

The note sends us to Cearwin, a bard at the Nashkel Circus, who sends us to Aranor, a wizard in Beregost, who sends us BACK to Cearwin. The upshot is that there's this Stone of Askavar that Banite cultists are after, and we should find it first. Of course it's not nearly that straightforward, and we need to find five talismans to even get into the place where the Stone is hidden. We'll get around to that a little later.

For now we're on our way to Baldur's Gate. We stop on our way to solve the Umberlee quest in the most direct way as possible - pickpocketing the Umberlant Tupperware and just handing it over directly without going through all the back-and-forth.

In Baldur's Gate itself, we go through the usual meeting with Scar, who also informs us that someone's been looking for Drake.

But we're not here to deal with that, or much of anything else in Baldur's Gate, yet. We're just here to do a bit of shopping, and pick up the Dexterity Tome from the Thieves Guild.

Isra is not thrilled at being in the Thieves Guild.

We grab our book and then buy a bunch of stuff and head on our way.

biscuits and crazy alluded to this earlier, but SCS buffs the fight with Icharyd near Ulcaster Schoolhouse. And by "buffs" I mean "makes super annoying". He's a lot tougher, and halfway through the fight

This happens. He heals up and advances time so that all your buffs expire. We still put him (back) in the ground.

We head down into the Ulcaster Ruins and retrieve a book. No, not the one the ghost wants, another book. This ties to one of the Ascalon quests, about which more later.

There's also the fight with the Wolf of Ulcaster, who is a spellcasting vampiric wolf with roughly twenty seven trillion hit points. Fortunately Isra can cast Remove Fear once per level, so we're okay with him spamming horror. Being knee-deep in ghouls and dread wolves is a bit trickier, but it all works out in the end.

We pop over to Gullykin to get the Firewine quest. There's an SCS component that disables the shortcut straight to the ogre mage.

We did not install that component. He dies, and so does his buddy, but we decide to loot the rest of the dungeon anyway because hey, free fire arrows, right?

This proves, as with all things related to this godforsaken dungeon, to be a bad bad bad bad idea.

Oh, it all goes pretty straightforward (by Firewine standards) til we get set to return the ancient armor.

I have a bad feeling about this.

...yup.

Thanks to that mystery mod that buffs some encounters, we get to fight a high level ghostly adventuring party. Because gently caress you, that's why.

It's all going...I won't say well, but we're probably going to win this when the party leader, who I'm guessing is berserk from the yellow circle (cause he sure wasn't panicking) turns up at the back lines, probably thanks to Firewine pathfinding.

He did that to Baeloth through a stoneskin, by the way.

So that went well. gently caress this place, we're leaving.

Oh yeah, I installed this NPC mod too. This is Indira, a fighter/mage whose previous adventuring party got slaughtered. I was just gonna resurrect Baeloth, but we give him a hero's burial in a ditch somewhere and bring aboard another spellcaster who can use bows instead.

Next time: We mop up more of the Eastern Sword Coast.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Heather and the gang go through Candlekeep Catacombs without major incidents.

Prat and his goons going down.

After leaving Candlekeep, Heather heads straight to Baldur’s Gate and pays a visit to the Iron Throne again.

Heather didn’t start the fire, I swear.

Hunting the assassins in the Undercellar.

The brawl in the Ducal Palace. The Gran Duke survives with an inch of life, that was close.

After this one, I take a break from the main quest and did some side quests in Baldur’s Gate. I’m too eager to finish this game and go to Amn, but I’m still too far from the level cap, so I need to farm more experience.

Killing the mages in the ice island.

Cleaning the upper levels of Durlag’s Tower.

Honestly, Durlag’s Tower it’s both too dangerous and time consuming, the moment I’m near the level cap I’m gonna bolt out of here. Not willing to fight the demon knight and the big jerk demon if it’s not necessary.

I’m playing too drat sloppy in this run, another near death encounter.

First floor cleared.

Upon entering the second floor I decide I’m not gonna play it straight anymore.

I sit in the room with the practice dummies with two party members, rest-spawn greater doppelgangers and farm them MMO-style. Once Heather is close to the level cap, I get out of there and head straight to the Undercity.

The final wave of goons in the Undercity. Lost both Khalid and Ajantis again but at this point I don’t care anymore.

Sarevok time!

I start clearing both the battle horrors on the right side and the little bats. I swear this time I will do this fight properly.

I set up a “moderate” amount of skull traps in a strategic location, buff up a bit and summon goons. I’m hoping to lure Semaj and getting him to teleport on top of the traps and get deleted.

I throw the bait, namely a fireball to the corner of the dais.

And Sarevok decides to come all alone. The dialogue triggers.

And Sarevok dies instantly. That was really clean.

Heather, the half-orc Kensai has killed Sarevok

Honors: Ironling, Purist, Honorable Trader, Roleplayer.
Dishonor: None.

Next time: Into the Shadows of Amn!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Flint Stonington, the Dwarven Defender has been stunlocked and eaten by a vampire thief.

Pretty rough, but it was pretty bad luck to get all four of my melee fighters stunned by some spell.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Congrats to Heather and rest in peace Flint. You did real well for a blind playthrough.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
RIP Flint, vampires are some of the most annoying enemies you can fight early on.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I'm going to keep playing on this file, since I'm pretty invested. On the rematch the vampire got chunked pretty quick and I didn't have any issues with the rest of the dungeon. That poor boss vampire was just waiting at the top of the stairs and instantly ate a mace of disruption.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Trying to go through bg2 blind was never likely to work and it's amazing you've come this far. Glad you are still having fun.

Wonder what held everyone though. Vampires in my experience just spam domination and level drain the crap out of you.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

FairGame posted:

Trying to go through bg2 blind was never likely to work and it's amazing you've come this far. Glad you are still having fun.

Wonder what held everyone though. Vampires in my experience just spam domination and level drain the crap out of you.

It said they were stunned, not held, if that helps.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
William the Elf Fighter/Mage has set out from Candlekeep to explore the Sword Coast. I picked up Jaheira and Khalid and sprinted to Nashkel to get the Ankheg Plate and also so they won't annoy me while I gently caress around before going into the mines. I had a very close call with Bassileus, who held Jaheira and Khalid and gave William some rigid thinking. It ended with William at 2 HP, Jaheira and Khalid dead, and my wand of magic missiles spent. I'm not going to bother for iron party this time, so I'm going to resurrect them and continue to bum about until I get to level 3, at which point I'm entering the mines. I'm still debating who I want my final two members to be - Kivan possibly, right before I do the bandit camp. I really liked Yeslick last time, so I might leave my sixth slot open until I reach the Cloakwood mines.

Melicamp lives!

I went with fighter/mage because that's the only class I've actually beaten BG with. I figure the experience will help me there. I didn't have to roll too long until I got a 92.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Capfalcon posted:

It said they were stunned, not held, if that helps.

Where did that happen exactly?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Angry Lobster posted:

Where did that happen exactly?

In the hall to the bloody spike room. That vampire had some serious soells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Capfalcon posted:

In the hall to the bloody spike room. That vampire had some serious soells.

Oh right, either Lassal or Tanova got you most probably with a Symbol: Stun spell.