Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

"...Who do you think you're winking at, Kent? Are you having a stroke?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
clarks xray vision meant he could see the 4th wall and thus knew he was a comic book character this whole time

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CzarChasm posted:

Seems closer to Dean to me, but I'll allow it.

Hank is Batman.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Crowetron posted:

Why do Perry White and J. Jonah Jameson dress the same? Was there some stereotype about the fashion choices of newspaper editors in the 60's?

Oh man thank you. I somehow managed to completely forget what comics universe I was in and spent the whole thing wondering "when did Jameson get fat?"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
later on, it becomes increasingly clear that the mayor is literally a dinosaur, likely the t-rex that was chasing jimmy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
from Klaus- The Life and Times of Joe Christmas

That is Santa on top of the Delorean chasing down the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Since they're in/on a Delorean and the woman is firing a proton pack, does that mean the sword is also something 80s? He-Man's sword? Lion-O's?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

New Leaf posted:

"...Who do you think you're winking at, Kent? Are you having a stroke?"
Isn't Superman responsible for all of those things happening to JImmy?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Since they're in/on a Delorean and the woman is firing a proton pack, does that mean the sword is also something 80s? He-Man's sword? Lion-O's?

no, probably not. In this series, Santa just has a sword.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Me: Pop culture references are just a cheap tool to inspire feelings of nostalgia in lieu of actual story telling.

Grant Morrison:

TwoPair posted:

from Klaus- The Life and Times of Joe Christmas

That is Santa on top of the Delorean chasing down the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future.

Me: :flashfap:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Why does Santa look like Lobo Dracula?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Marvel Feature #2 (1972)

Spidey Super Stories #11 (1975)

What If? #12 (1978)

Ms. Marvel #17 (2017)

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #21 (2017)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I had no idea it was canon that namor has tiny wings on his feet

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

flatluigi posted:

I had no idea it was canon that namor has tiny wings on his feet

Have you never seen a picture of Namor in his OG costume?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Skwirl posted:

Have you never seen a picture of Namor in his OG costume?

realtalk the picture threads on here are just about all I get comics wise so there's definitely a lot of things I haven't picked up

noticing his tiny feathery anklewings is one of those

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

flatluigi posted:

realtalk the picture threads on here are just about all I get comics wise so there's definitely a lot of things I haven't picked up

noticing his tiny feathery anklewings is one of those

A lot of modern stuff has him wearing pants and shoes (because they are cowards), but since his first appearance he's always had the little wings on his ankles in any drawing where you could see his feet. (There might be a story where they got cut off, but even that shows how important they are)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's how he flies. Venom like, chomped on his ankle once and wrecked his wings so he couldn't fly for a while.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

site posted:

clarks xray vision meant he could see the 4th wall and thus knew he was a comic book character this whole time
It's canon that the House of Superman bloodline dosen't have 5-D vision for several more centuries, read some Grant Morrison :eng101:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Skwirl posted:

A lot of modern stuff has him wearing pants and shoes (because they are cowards),
Gabby and Laura are hardly cowards.

X-Men Red #4

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I like the idea that Cleo and Wong, in making sure people wouldn't freak out at Namor running around naked, were also concerned that people would freak out about the shape of his head.

No mention was made of her hair's whole deal with the horseshoe-horn-thing.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

CzarChasm posted:

Seems closer to Dean to me, but I'll allow it.

Timmy Olsen is very hank to me. It just snowballed from there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Elfface posted:

I like the idea that Cleo and Wong, in making sure people wouldn't freak out at Namor running around naked, were also concerned that people would freak out about the shape of his head.

No mention was made of her hair's whole deal with the horseshoe-horn-thing.
Clea has a weird hair dingus, Namor had some kind of horrible triangle head that's been steadily getting revised down over the years. He also had elf ears. Different order of magnitude here.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phy posted:

Solemnly swear I, thusly: One of these days I'm gonna read that Simonson Thor omnibus

And it's gonna own

I just got to #378 and if this cover doesn't want to make you immediately start reading it I don't know what will. Not only is Thor awesome in this issue but also Iceman, who showed up out of nowhere in the previous issue through the use of an actual deus ex machina.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nessus posted:

Clea has a weird hair dingus, Namor had some kind of horrible triangle head that's been steadily getting revised down over the years. He also had elf ears. Different order of magnitude here.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's not the 90s anymore Namor, nobody tweezes that much these days.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

It's how he flies. Venom like, chomped on his ankle once and wrecked his wings so he couldn't fly for a while.

I've never thought about it, but now I really want to see Namor fly kind of upside down with his ankles in the air.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Nessus posted:

Carl Pfeufer made him downright horrifying.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Esplanade posted:

The tattooist doesn't look too normal, and I bet his depictions of Asians aren't great either.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I've seen the "Human Torch (or an analog) uses fire powers to shave" a few times in comics, and I have to imagine that burning your beard off to a smooth shave would be hugely uncomfortable.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Not to mention the smell.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

RaspberryCommie posted:

Not to mention the smell.

Having set my own beard on fire more than once, the smell is awful.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Esplanade posted:

He looks like the main character of a manga that's obscure in the West but might be downright legendary in Japan.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Esplanade posted:

That's very much in the mold of Bill Everett's depictions.

After the golden age, Everett would tone down the sharp angles of the head and the fish-eyed Atlanteans but it never went away entirely.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Kwyndig posted:

Having set my own beard on fire more than once, the smell is awful.

Sometimes if I am feeling flush I get my hair cut at a Turkish barbers. They use a lighter to burn off any long, scraggly hairs from your ears.
It's very effective and doesn't hurt that much.
But I couldn't recommend it for a while beard.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Keromaru5 posted:

He looks like the main character of a manga that's obscure in the West but might be downright legendary in Japan.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

After the golden age, Everett would tone down the sharp angles of the head and the fish-eyed Atlanteans but it never went away entirely.

Are the guys coming off the boat in the foreground supposed to be awful irishman caricatures, or awful new york gangster caricatures?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Random Stranger posted:

I didn't know Betty Dean was a unionist.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Merry Christmas, goons! 'Tis the season for jolly and cheer, which makes this post extra weird since it's probably gonna put you in a bad mood!!

So. About two weeks ago, I became aware of a certain comic by Dark Horse Comics.

Meet Angel Catbird. You can tell he's an Angel Catbird because of his angel wings, and owl head, and aquaman pants, and the cover saying ANGEL CATBIRD.

But that's not really what's important here. What's important here is the top name associated with with this munitions fire. Does it seem familiar? That's because it's Margaret Atwood.

The Margaret Atwood.

The woman who wrote The Handmaid's Tale.

I checked and double-checked. It's the same Margaret Atwood, which makes the existence of this comic ever more baffling.

Now, why am I telling you all this? It's simple. Because Angel Catbird

is

loving

awful.

Every page is like this. Now the art itself is competent enough, but what seems to have happened here is that Margaret Atwood designed the characters, and the artist (Johnnie Christmas, apparently) did the best with what he was given.

seriously, look at this poo poo

But the best ("best") part is the writing, which is just this absolute trainwreck. I picked a particularly good example here, where the love interest who's known Angel Catbird for all of a day decides to inform the reader of her estrus cycle, and also the main hero just yeeting his Catbird-y-ness off his body by thinking of a washing machine. You have to see this for yourself to truly understand how bad the writing is. And this isn't just like the art where she provided a rough draft and a hack writer ran with it; as far as I can tell, Margaret Atwood wrote the entire script, by herself. And what a script it is, being absolutely filled to the prime with bargain bin cat puns and every single character being horny, made worse by how Atwood would've been like 77 when she wrote this. It seriously reads like her realizing she was a furry and working through it in the form of this comic.

I can definitely provide more if you goons are interested in some grade-A garbage; It's the worst loving published comic I've ever read in years and it's hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

Blarghalt fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 24, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Lucy goes aggro, blames society

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pizza you say?