Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

DatonKallandor posted:

How is that baffling? You get your research from the research screen.

Why not just... have it unlocked when they give it to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Chaos Reborn a few years ago, though I think it's actually supposed to be a remake of something he made in the 80s. I never played it but I heard good things.

Looking at his wiki page real quick it looks like he spent a large chunk of the 2000s working as a producer for Ubisoft, which could mean very little actual design work in that timeframe and more people management stuff.

Assassin's Creed Liberation and Ghost Recon Shadow Wars are in the resume. Gollop has stayed in the turn-based game making arena, he's just clearly had this vision for XCOM stuck in his head for 20 years and wanted another Pop.

One thing that I think is interesting looking back is that it's really clear that he's wedded to the idea that 'XCOM' a) should not be able to generate its own income and b) should be reliant on resources from a range of factions. In Apocalypse this was supposed to go to the extent of you having to keep the city political parties sweet because they would vote on your income. The unfortunate consequence here is that the Phoenix Project just ends up being the only faction in the game that can't generate its own resources or do novel research for some reason.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dyzzy posted:

You need to research the research to make sure the faction researchers researched it correctly, it completes instantly because the PP researches just gave it to their shittiest intern to eyeball

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

dyzzy posted:

Because they don't wanna spam the player with reserach unlocked textboxes? Plus for the edge cases where you might not want the research (like people that want to player on super custom hard mode no research Fox only Final Destination). The current way you can actually read what each research does before you grab it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Did this come out on gamepass? And how high spec do you need to play it?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
gently caress gollop made laser squad nemesis? why the gently caress did he not just make a fully featured LSN and not this.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

One thing that I think is interesting looking back is that it's really clear that he's wedded to the idea that 'XCOM' a) should not be able to generate its own income and b) should be reliant on resources from a range of factions. In Apocalypse this was supposed to go to the extent of you having to keep the city political parties sweet because they would vote on your income. The unfortunate consequence here is that the Phoenix Project just ends up being the only faction in the game that can't generate its own resources or do novel research for some reason.

My Laser Rifle Factory in the original XCom begs to differ.

But yeah, it's bad enough that the Pheonix Project can't really develop anything on its own without adding more layers between you and what you want to do like "You have to research the research". Make it an opt out for the edge case players or something, there's no reason to not have it happen automatically.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I told the support ticket guy from EGS that this game was absolutely terrible and he said ok and refunded it

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My Laser Rifle Factory in the original XCom begs to differ.

But yeah, it's bad enough that the Pheonix Project can't really develop anything on its own without adding more layers between you and what you want to do like "You have to research the research". Make it an opt out for the edge case players or something, there's no reason to not have it happen automatically.

I mean, you can literally build food production, with no limit except building slots and food can be traded for any other resource. Phoenix Point might have the most straightfoward Building -> Income production out of all his games. In X-com you needed to sell things you were producing manually, and even XCOM doesn't have any +credits buildings that I can recall.

Not that it's necessarily a good thing. Not sure spend money to get more money is a good building type to have.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 24, 2019

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I built a ground vehicle but I don't see how to use it. Am I just on drugs?

What do I need to do to get more than 6 dudes on a mission?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

I built a ground vehicle but I don't see how to use it. Am I just on drugs?

You need to assign the vehicle to a transport. You need bigger or more aircraft to deploy more than 6 troops.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

More planes. Several planes can deploy soldiers into the same mission.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

DatonKallandor posted:

Because they don't wanna spam the player with reserach unlocked textboxes? Plus for the edge cases where you might not want the research (like people that want to player on super custom hard mode no research Fox only Final Destination). The current way you can actually read what each research does before you grab it.

Man I've heard of playing Devil's advocate but the way you post in this thread makes it look like he's got your soul on retainer. It's okay to like something that has flaws - you don't have to argue that bizarrely hostile UIs are actually good to have fun playing a game you like.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I actually really enjoyed the game, until I seem to get bogged down with 2-3 chirons with goo and worms on every mission. That really makes the gameplay miserable; the enemy outnumbers me anyway, so 3-9 extra worms to hunt every single turn makes things nigh-impossible, not to mention the goo (that lasts waaay too long).

I never had that much trouble with sirens etc (just pop the head with snipers), but drat, chirons kill any fun from the game.

EDIT: Okay, now I finally got a mission with just one chiron.. but with 5 or 6 sirens and who knows how many arthrons & tritons. By sheer turn economy this seems completely impossible, and this is on normal difficulty. (Well, turns out I won that after all, with no losses even - 5-6 sirens is much easier than 2 or 3 chirons.)

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 25, 2019

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

It's wild hearing these tales of Chirons being a problem, especially with Sirens being called less of an issue. I've yet to have a chiron be anything but a minor speedbump (the goo has the potentially really mess you up though) but Sirens are huge problems that change how the entire mission has to be played for me.

Edit: vvv Yeah there really needs to be a very cheap, generic phoenix point soldier recruitment option. I'd be fine to get them as a sort of pre-class version that's shitter than a real assault/heavy/sniper, but there needs to be something to let people recover from a lost soldier. As it stands losing a soldier is far too painful.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 25, 2019

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Dropbear posted:

I actually really enjoyed the game, until I seem to get bogged down with 2-3 chirons with goo and worms on every mission. That really makes the gameplay miserable; the enemy outnumbers me anyway, so 3-9 extra worms to hunt every single turn makes things nigh-impossible, not to mention the goo (that lasts waaay too long).

I never had that much trouble with sirens etc (just pop the head with snipers), but drat, chirons kill any fun from the game.

EDIT: Okay, now I finally got a mission with just one chiron.. but with 5 or 6 sirens and who knows how many arthrons & tritons. By sheer turn economy this seems completely impossible, and this is on normal difficulty. (Well, turns out I won that after all, with no losses even - 5-6 sirens is much easier than 2 or 3 chirons.)

So I know the reason why the game's doing that after you think you selected normal as the main difficulty of your campaign: your starting difficulty choice doesn't matter beyond your first few missions.

The dynamic difficulty system of Phoenix Point as it currently exists has no limitations on it. Once you start doing well enough, it will always keep increasing the difficulty of your missions (this affects how much "deployment points" the AI has to use on missions, so it gets to field more and more enemies that are more dangerous the more points it gets), up to guaranteeing you'll see what's effectively "beyond Legend" difficulty if the game thinks you really need everything and the kitchen sink thrown at you.

It does do it for the opposite experience of getting your rear end kicked repeatedly on missions, but then we run into Phoenix Point's problem of wanting X-COM style difficulty spike missions while not implementing X-COM ease of recruitment, compared to other games like Xenonauts. Either you're good enough at the game that you survive the initial difficulty spike early on (so we then get to the people thinking the game's way too easy as it stands), or you get your rear end kicked early on enough that you're pretty reliant on RNG having gone your way so you can recover from your losses (so we then get the people who find the game unbearable and asking too much of them).

I like so much of the game's core concepts but man this really needs a balance overhaul: it's got a way worse version of XCOM's alpha strike problem than I ever thought you could do.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Combing dynamic difficulty and difficulty levels is yet another example of how this game throws a ton of mechanics at the player that are not balanced in the slightest.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Glenn Quebec posted:

I told the support ticket guy from EGS that this game was absolutely terrible and he said ok and refunded it

If I wasn't a backer, I'd do the same thing. I guess I'm just stuck hoping it'll turn good by the time the Steam version comes out.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Just play it on the Xbox PC game pass, it's five bux a month during the beta and ten after that. Whole mess of decent games and supposed EGS exclusives, too.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Go to
https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-game-pass#join
instead and you can sign up for ultimate for 3 months for £1. Just make sure to cancel the recurring billing right away. I don't even use any of the 'extra' features but 3 months is great.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Soldiers would be a lot cheaper if they didnt come with armor...

I mean, its convenient you dont have to manufacture armor when you are expanding your forces but if you are replacing losses its unnecessary.

A generic PP soldier recruitment option would fit that niche handily. You can choose to recruit armorless scrubs or you can recruit from the factions, gaining faction armor and their unique classes.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
Anyone else have the Gold to Lead mission to secure a genetic scientist auto fail after the map loads? I had another rescue mission from an independent haven start the map with the VIP under my control in the middle of a bunch of Anu shotgunners and berserkers who murdered him so I guess it just saved me some time.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Exposure posted:

So I know the reason why the game's doing that after you think you selected normal as the main difficulty of your campaign: your starting difficulty choice doesn't matter beyond your first few missions.

The dynamic difficulty system of Phoenix Point as it currently exists has no limitations on it. Once you start doing well enough, it will always keep increasing the difficulty of your missions (this affects how much "deployment points" the AI has to use on missions, so it gets to field more and more enemies that are more dangerous the more points it gets), up to guaranteeing you'll see what's effectively "beyond Legend" difficulty if the game thinks you really need everything and the kitchen sink thrown at you.

It does do it for the opposite experience of getting your rear end kicked repeatedly on missions, but then we run into Phoenix Point's problem of wanting X-COM style difficulty spike missions while not implementing X-COM ease of recruitment, compared to other games like Xenonauts. Either you're good enough at the game that you survive the initial difficulty spike early on (so we then get to the people thinking the game's way too easy as it stands), or you get your rear end kicked early on enough that you're pretty reliant on RNG having gone your way so you can recover from your losses (so we then get the people who find the game unbearable and asking too much of them).

I like so much of the game's core concepts but man this really needs a balance overhaul: it's got a way worse version of XCOM's alpha strike problem than I ever thought you could do.

Can you turn this off? I hate dynamic difficulty.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Exposure posted:

).

The problem is that for all the good concepts they had, the dev team learned basically nothing about changes in implementing those ideas in the last twenty years. poo poo, just playing it and thinking about “does this add an interesting decision for the player to make” would have led to free aim having a lot of changes made to it. Putting some kind of resource that you spend to use it would have made it way less of a source of tedium. Having to research other faction’s research at zero time and resource cost?That’s not a choice, that’s not game design, that’s just the game getting in its own way for pointless complexity. Either make it so the player has to think about it, or make it automatic.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The problem is that for all the good concepts they had, the dev team learned basically nothing about changes in implementing those ideas in the last twenty years. poo poo, just playing it and thinking about “does this add an interesting decision for the player to make” would have led to free aim having a lot of changes made to it. Putting some kind of resource that you spend to use it would have made it way less of a source of tedium. Having to research other faction’s research at zero time and resource cost?That’s not a choice, that’s not game design, that’s just the game getting in its own way for pointless complexity. Either make it so the player has to think about it, or make it automatic.
But If it cost a resource to use free aim, then it wouldn't be as easy to shrug out "Nobody is MAKING you use free aim every turn" when people express frustration with it's issues in, well, aiming :v:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Making it cost a resource would not solve a thing. Either you can't preview it without spending the resource (and then you may commit resources w/o knowing if the shot would be partially blocked in an inconvenient way, like having a stray wooden beam or an armoured piece in your way) or you can preview it (and then you would still have to check before taking every shot). With the cone of fire, real Los and different armour values system there are probably too many variables to make a reliable %hit preview anyway.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

The game forces me to use free aim because I can't trust the AI to not proclaim they can take a shot at an enemy when 99% of their body is obscured by a wall or some such.

I don't hate the free aim, but man is it vital to actually hitting anything that isn't a wall or armored shell.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the way to make free aim a resource would be for a normal attack to fire much more bullets, and then an aimed attack fires less shots but is free aim.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm noticing I can now bring 9 guys instead of 8 on my missions, what increased this?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i like free aim and i don't want them to remove or restrict it

willpower abuse is a problem though, and would take a lot of rebalancing both of player and enemy side to fix. if they just severely restrict willpower abilities the game would be too hard, IMO, lots of stuff later in the game will ruin you if you don't cheese at least a little

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm noticing I can now bring 9 guys instead of 8 on my missions, what increased this?

i think harder missions have higher caps

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I was watching a stream of this game and after the streamer finished the first story mission he had only one word for the game: 'Soulless'. And I think I agree. All the 'game' is there, but where is the good battle music? The soldier personalization? Any sort of actual personality in fact seems to be missing.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
The scaling in this game is so broken, I’ve played halfway through several campaigns on different difficulties and it’s always the same; every single arthron becomes a ridiculous ball of armor and health that can one shot soldiers with their machine gun and have no weak spots. Even Tritons became near immune to assault rifles with the armor they start packing on every body part and the huge health pool underneath. Now I’m playing but avoiding any non critical Pandoran mission and this no longer happens even well into the late game? So the ideal way to play the game seems like:

-Avoid scavenge missions, try to kill as few Pandorans on the nest/lair/citadels as possible.
-Get required resources by raiding the factions/trading food and haven defenses
-Spam training centers to build your overpowered rage burst snipers/100% invisible infiltrators/etc.

Why does this game punish you for trying to play the fun parts of it?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I finished my first playthrough on hard the other day.

I had the ability to use the Technician class so by the end of the game everyone was half Technician. I could throw so many turrets everywhere but the part that broke the game was just having 2 guys every turn use the Electric Reinforce will skill and then recover to get their willpower back. It added 40 armor to every unit (and turret) which effectively made all of everyone near invincible. They could just take shots to the face and be completely fine.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
One of the Snapshot Marketing members posted on Reddit they are back from the holidays and starting to plan out the next updates, which will include balancing changes among other things, but nothing specific is indicated.

https://old.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/ekxl0s/have_we_heard_anything_from_snapshot_games/

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I finished the game on Legendary, and oh boy, do I have some thoughts.

• The Free Aiming system is cool in principle, but in practice it feels like you are competing in a table top wargaming tournament against a massive grognard. Every turn revolves around pixel sniping enemies in their toes/weak points, while preventing retaliation by hiding in cover that has no clear readability. On top of that, there are constant issues with waste-high (light) cover, as it blocks soldier pivoting, and sometimes the gun model itself gets stuck inside the cover. Heavy cover is even glitchier, as you cannot step out without seeing a target. There are also issues with animations, as getting hit causes the target to flinch, which can spoil consecutive shots. On top of that, some cover is arbitrarily designated as explosive (classic videogame barrels and gas cookers), which can have catastrophic consequences for you or the enemy.
  • Heavy/AOE weapons break the game's difficulty over its knee. The starting Phoenix Point heavy cannon (Hel-2) is literally the only weapon you will need all game, along with New Jericho armor mounted rocket launchers. The latter can win most missions on turn 1-2 (especially base defense), as enemies start out clustered and PP always gets the first turn. Sniper rifles come close second, but they need a considerable investment to work (Master Marksman) reliably.
  • Noob traps in skill choices. The overwhelming majority of skills are not good. You can very safely ignore all skills except Dash (Assault), Quick Aim (Sniper), Master Marksman (Sniper) and Rage Burst (Heavy). Special mentions go to Improved Bash (Heavy - because beating crabmen to death with heavy cannons never gets old) and any skill that allows your soldier to wield heavy weapons (New Class, Strongman).
  • There are only 5 major enemy types in the game Crabman, Triton, Chiron, Siren, Scylla and 4 minor enemy types Worms, Mindfraggers, Sentries and Eggs . I am not counting human enemies, because you can, for the most part, avoid fighting humans. They do have distinct fighting styles, but as a general rule, humans are complete push overs.
  • None of the human factions are even remotely likable. New Jericho are alt-right intolerant assholes who are lead by a slightly more competent Donald Trump with hipster beard ; Synderion are useless WELL AKSHUALLY nerds who will debate whether a crabman has a right to vote as its pinching them to death and Anu are the Cult of Sirius . I did not want to work with or save any of them.
  • All endings are bad in some way unless you execute Synderion's idiotic plan FREE THE CRABMEN , which gives you a feel good ending. Ironically, pure Phoenix Point playthrough ending is the absolute worst.
  • Soldier customization absolutely sucks, because there is no way to not show armor/helmets. Voice overs are also some of the worst I heard in all of videogames.
  • The game is cluttered with needless mechanics (ie. ammo management, inventory management) which add nothing to the game beyond being faithful to 1999 Xcom. As a result, both Firaxis Xcoms are considerably better designed because they focus on whats important - killing aliens...
  • Geoscape game is weak as hell. You go around the map exploring points of interest, the vast majority of which are not interesting in the slightest. There is no point in doing scavenging missions, as you get much better rewards from choose your own adventure encounters. You can easily make up for lost combat XP by building a bunch of training centers in one of your bases and stationing your squad there for a few days. Ten or so training centers will max level your squad in 87 hours from level 1. Haven interactions are not good (Stealing aircraft/Raiding carriers a massive faction penalty, plus all the faction aircraft are worse than your starting one; trading requires you to click like crazy; recruiting is awful because there is no way to filter the havens by soldier class, so you have to manually examine each one). Base management is so simple it might as well not be in the game (you either make a fabricator/research station base, or a living quarter+medbay+training center base). You unlock a couple of extra buildings later, but none of them are particularly interesting and they add very little to the game overall.

Overall, I am really not sure why this game was made. It feels like a 1999 xcom mod at best, but I would argue that Xenonauts was a way better version of that. Firaxis Xcom blows this pile of garbage out of the water with its production value, because it manages to capture the feel of original Xcom and trim the fat around the gameplay.

tl;dr this is pretty disappointing remake of Xcom: Apocalypse (or Terror From The Deep), which largely ignores the fact that games have moved on since the 90s. Maybe DLC will make it better, but I doubt it.

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 13, 2020

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i think that putting a bunch of overly idealistic nerds on the same level with basically nazis and a cult that has a psychotic warmonger as second-in-command is not very fair

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

RottenK posted:

i think that putting a bunch of overly idealistic nerds on the same level with basically nazis and a cult that has a psychotic warmonger as second-in-command is not very fair

A bunch of "overly idealistic nerds" who debate the consciousness and rights of crabmen that are trying to genocide the human race are not exactly useful allies in my honest opinion

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Gordon posted:

A bunch of "overly idealistic nerds" who debate the consciousness and rights of crabmen that are trying to genocide the human race are not exactly useful allies in my honest opinion

Weren't the crabmen humans who got hosed up? Whether or not you can save them seems like something to consider for a few seconds in between reloads if humanity is dwindling

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Captain Gordon posted:

they have a military and fight against the crabs too, also they're the only ones who do anything at all about the mist

they're will defend themselves when the need arises they just also believe that it'd be good to find a way to end the war peacefully instead of just killing the other side, or whatever it is that the disciples want to do

RottenK fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Weren't the crabmen humans who got hosed up? Whether or not you can save them seems like something to consider for a few seconds in between reloads if humanity is dwindling

Gun down all humans that are "hosed up", you say?
Hmm hmmm, that sure is an opinion.