Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Did you know that gas price for Ukraine is the lowest in the world? Their supposed enemy, gas is being traded lower than closest military ally Belarus? Is this stealth payment for Crimea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sekenr posted:

Did you know that gas price for Ukraine is the lowest in the world? Their supposed enemy, gas is being traded lower than closest military ally Belarus? Is this stealth payment for Crimea?

I think the low price is because it is a transit country for gas and if they shut down the tap Russia cant sell gas (easily, yet) to the rest of eastern and central Europe. Also, maybe the country price is skewed by super low prices in the occupied parts so averaged over the whole country seems much lower than what the Ukrainian state aligned parts actually pay.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Is this serving a purpose for Lukashenko while he's negotiating with Russia? Seems very odd there is no crackdown.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Is this serving a purpose for Lukashenko while he's negotiating with Russia? Seems very odd there is no crackdown.

I imagine this is an alright rhetorical coin to use in barter, if such actually takes place. Also, there may have been an uneasy precedent in a neighbouring country with cracking down on popular protests concerning affairs of intimate relation to Russia. :v:

Plus it must be noted that December 20 protests did face some crackdown both in anticipation and during them.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Solid mention for Bellingcat

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/22/world/europe/bulgaria-russia-assassination-squad.html

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
He won't let me read it without creating an account

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

If you open it in incognito mode on your browser you can usually get around the restrictions on it.

We've spent a lot of time on the Bulgaria poisoning, but it was thanks to some earlier New York Times reporting that we realised the Skripal poisoning in Salisbury, the Bulgaria poisonings, the failed coup in Montenegro, and other Russian spy operations we had looked into were all connected to one unit, 29155. That earlier NYT piece also provided us with a bunch of new leads, so we'll be publishing more on Unit 29155 operations in the new year, and we're also going to crowdfund a third season of our podcast, this time 6-8 episodes on the various Unit 29155 operations we've investigated, and how we exposed the real identities of the suspects. We've also been doing a lot on the Berlin assassin recently, so we'll have more on that soon, although he doesn't appear to be connected to Unit 29155.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
BM - how is your life insurance, man. Jokes aside, you must be on some unpleasant lists somewhere...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've had visit from the police about my personal security, and we've had to take security measures as an organisation because we've already been targeted multiple times by Russian cyber operations, and expect more in the future. Although I'm more concerned about nutters from the internet than the GRU.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Brown Moses posted:

Although I'm more concerned about nutters from the internet than the GRU.

So Jose and who else?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

So Jose and who else?

Didn't Graham Phillips harass his mother the other year already?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Didn't Graham Phillips harass his mother the other year already?

That was Nimrod Kamer working for Russia Today doorstepping my mother. Graham Phillips crashed a presser I was doing and screamed at me, then started to sign up for all the public events as I was doing, then came to Leicester and talked his was into the serviced office building I work in, except I wasn't in, so he just got to upset the reception staff. Nimrod also tried the same poo poo for his RT piece. There's a 50/50 chance at any public event I do I'll get someone trying to ask me a gotcha question based on some 3 year old conspiracy blog post they read about me, but I've generally seen them all 100 times before because Twitter idiots keep sending them to me like it's news, so they just end up embarrassing themselves. Another favourite from that lot is "why don't you write about X", because they only know my work through conspiracy websites and tankies who think I'm the Patron Saint of Western Imperialism, so usually my response is to list the work we've done on that area, or give a short history of the development of online open source investigation and why it ended up focusing on Russia and Syria so much. They always think they're asking some amazing question, but it's always the same poo poo their fellow travellers have been asking on Twitter and writing about in their blogs for the past 8 years, so it's no problem for me.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Brown Moses posted:

That was Nimrod Kamer working for Russia Today doorstepping my mother. Graham Phillips crashed a presser I was doing and screamed at me, then started to sign up for all the public events as I was doing, then came to Leicester and talked his was into the serviced office building I work in, except I wasn't in, so he just got to upset the reception staff. Nimrod also tried the same poo poo for his RT piece. There's a 50/50 chance at any public event I do I'll get someone trying to ask me a gotcha question based on some 3 year old conspiracy blog post they read about me, but I've generally seen them all 100 times before because Twitter idiots keep sending them to me like it's news, so they just end up embarrassing themselves. Another favourite from that lot is "why don't you write about X", because they only know my work through conspiracy websites and tankies who think I'm the Patron Saint of Western Imperialism, so usually my response is to list the work we've done on that area, or give a short history of the development of online open source investigation and why it ended up focusing on Russia and Syria so much. They always think they're asking some amazing question, but it's always the same poo poo their fellow travellers have been asking on Twitter and writing about in their blogs for the past 8 years, so it's no problem for me.

If you dont eat your chocochurch this year i will.

--
Pexit rhetoric being spouted due to judicial reform

“We [Poland] are leaving the EU step by step. It’s not an exaggeration. This departs from all the norms on which the European Union is built,” former EU Council president Donald Tusk, who is also a former Polish prime minister, told reporters this week.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 23, 2019

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I prefer Polście.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Come on, Wypierpol is the only canon word for it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lichtenstein posted:

Okay, now this is my favourite.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

Only needs 1 letter swapped to express my feelings about it too, nice.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Is this partly due to Poland losing 25% of eu funding they used to receive? I know this is due to belt tightening because of brexit. But the polscie spinners would rather make this about brusselSS division trying to destroy the polish state etc

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't think PiS is interested in an exit, and unless I'm misunderstanding that's not was Tusk was saying, though he may have intentionally used Brexit-like language.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Is this partly due to Poland losing 25% of eu funding they used to receive? I know this is due to belt tightening because of brexit. But the polscie spinners would rather make this about brusselSS division trying to destroy the polish state etc

Yeah, that's not what Tusk is saying. He's saying the judicial """"reform""""" runs counter to EU principles and risks putting us at odds with European courts, which, as you may recall, was one of the """reasons""" (seriously there are no quotation marks big enough for either of these) for why Britain voted for Brexit. He's explicitly against trying or even contemplating getting out of the EU, and no-one is trying to push for anything of the sort.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yeah, no EU exit rhetoric has seriously taken hold here (thank God, given some stupid poo poo that did), it only returned as a topical catchphrase for the CON STI TU TION crowd scaremongering (as in: oh no the duck nazis will get us kicked out of EU, this is definitely a line too far for the organization that never does a thing to police its members).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Brown Moses posted:

But why don't you write about why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lichtenstein posted:

Yeah, no EU exit rhetoric has seriously taken hold here (thank God, given some stupid poo poo that did)

Just wait until Poland stops being a net recipient of EU money, and starts being a net contributor.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

So never then.

e: oh wait that was the joke

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Wesołych świąt!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Spokojnych!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Veselé Vánoce!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Glædelig Jul!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-vladimir-putin-yamal-region-yarovskaya-1479025

quote:

Media in Russia have been speculating about whether a journalist was forced to resign because she asked Vladimir Putin a surprise question at his annual televised news conference and later posted on social media her thoughts about whether the president used botox.

Will we ever be able to solve this mystery? :thunk:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6h_ol4IXrk/?igshid=11p0yz641feam

Apparently this clip is being actively deleted from all social media in Russia.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
And in other news, some sort of test of the new internal internet has apparently been successful, as reported by Russian news agencies.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Nitrox posted:

So... what's he saying, for those of us who don't speak Russian?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Aumanor posted:

So... what's he saying, for those of us who don't speak Russian?

He obviously misspoke, but the wording couldn't be better. "One of our main agendas is to curb the rise of income levels of citizens", is my rough translation. For anyone familiar with the situation in Russia, this hurts very much. Because it's much closer to the actual truth than the empty rhetoric

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Nitrox posted:

Nitrox posted:

And in other news, some sort of test of the new internal internet has apparently been successful, as reported by Russian news agencies.

Are you sure thing A isn't related to thing B?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Nitrox posted:

For anyone familiar with the situation in Russia, this hurts very much. Because it's much closer to the actual truth than the empty rhetoric
Care to elaborate? Putin really wants wages to stagnate? He used Russians improved quality of life for many years to justify his leadership.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Budzilla posted:

Care to elaborate? Putin really wants wages to stagnate? He used Russians improved quality of life for many years to justify his leadership.
What quality of life? Wages have been stagnant for at least 6 years now, while rubble lost more than 50% of its value since 2014. Basically, when the oil prices feel, so did the Russian economy. Nobody in the government is working to improve the lives of average Russian citizen. Putin is building closed state, while oligarchs do whatever the gently caress they want.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah, between oil, sanctions, and matters such as pension reform the quality of life and purchasing power of average working class Russians, especially outside Moscow and St. Petersburg, has tanked substantially. The economy has been contracting 2% per year for six years straight, driving 20 million more people into poverty. According to data provided by Russian officials, 1% of Russians can not afford food, 15% of Russians can afford food but not clothes or paying their utility bills, and 48% can only afford food, utility bills, and clothing.

All of this while their ability to save money has dropped to the level of 90s, and the share of regular spending funded by savings and loans has grown roughly 50% year-over-year for Q4 2017 to Q4 2018.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 27, 2019

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Nitrox posted:

Basically, when the oil prices feel, so did the Russian economy. Nobody in the government is working to improve the lives of average Russian citizen.
I get that much. But from your previous posts reading to me was that any real wages improvement just seem to be against government policy.

quote:

He obviously misspoke, but the wording couldn't be better. "One of our main agendas is to curb the rise of income levels of citizens", is my rough translation. For anyone familiar with the situation in Russia, this hurts very much. Because it's much closer to the actual truth than the empty rhetoric
Lost in translation I guess but it implies that this what Putin is actively doing. Rather than just being neglectful and prioritising everything else.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

All of this while their ability to save money has dropped to the level of 90s, and the share of regular spending funded by savings and loans has grown roughly 50% year-over-year for Q4 2017 to Q4 2018.
How long can this last for? Or how much further to go before Russia is back to where it was in 1990?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’m pretty confident that Russia is ways off from experiencing actual 90s once again. As for how long it will last - who knows, both Russian government and the oligarchs (as meaningful as such distinction can be in the context) are in position to profit meaningfully from this situation. Banks owned by oligarchs issue more and more loans, while Russian government has efficient tools to manipulate popular sentiment, citing external enemies trying to attack them and the like.