Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nessus posted:

You know, wouldn't this mean Diavolo becomes some kind of god or whatever? Enyaba presumably gets the arrow and Diavolo presumably buys one and Passione does its thing, just without a gang-star. On the up side, Kira would've just been a weirdo and would probably have gone to a jail.

A Part 4 where Jotaro never shows up would be kind of interesting. Though if Dio didn't exist I guess Josuke would've never gotten a stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

RatHat posted:

A Part 4 where Jotaro never shows up would be kind of interesting. Though if Dio didn't exist I guess Josuke would've never gotten a stand.
Josuke wouldn't exist. Joseph was the child of "the baby Erina was carrying" and "the baby Erina fished out of the water." Zeppeli might have still found Jonathan and taught him but they would have probably then gone around hunting vampires and Dio, being dead, would not have been able to gently caress up the boat.

Like there would probably still be Joestars, but not the ones we know.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nessus posted:

Josuke wouldn't exist. Joseph was the child of "the baby Erina was carrying" and "the baby Erina fished out of the water." Zeppeli might have still found Jonathan and taught him but they would have probably then gone around hunting vampires and Dio, being dead, would not have been able to gently caress up the boat.

Like there would probably still be Joestars, but not the ones we know.

I was more thinking that Part 1 still happened, Dio just didn't survive.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

RatHat posted:

I was more thinking that Part 1 still happened, Dio just didn't survive.
Oh yeah true in that case all that uncomfortably Hitler-adjacent adventure could've happened.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nessus posted:

You know, wouldn't this mean Diavolo becomes some kind of god or whatever? Enyaba presumably gets the arrow and Diavolo presumably buys one and Passione does its thing, just without a gang-star. On the up side, Kira would've just been a weirdo and would probably have gone to a jail.

Diavolo found the Arrows. He sold them to Enya.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember reading some comments about that one fan comic about what if Dio had used the mask on Jonathan instead and it went into how future parts would be changed by that. In particular, they talked about how Joseph would never come to be but William would still be around, Lisa Lisa would still exist but never get train by Straights, Straights might not even go bad because he'd have never seen what the power of the mask was capable of, Dire wouldn't have died, Speedwagon still probably would have struck it rich and gone into medical research but instead searching into cures for vampirism, the Zeppeli family would have likely filled in for the Joestars in terms of fighting off the Pillar Men (and hopefully succeeding, even if at the cost of their own lives), and Diavolo might never have even found out about Requiem stands (or, if he had, just not done much with it because all he cared about was remaining at the top and being invincible and otherwise being an unstoppable, unknowable force) while Kira's just off living a quiet life as a serial killer. Most of the Part 4 characters won't even get stands because Keicho won't be looking for a way to kill his dad and Part 3 just flat out won't happen because no Holly, Jotaro, Dio, or Joseph, so the only truly good stand users that aren't just hired killers end up being Polnareff, Avdol, Kakyoin, and Iggy, with Polnareff on the quest to avenge his sister but the other 3 being content to be a fortune teller, a japanese student, and the king of dogs.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'll admit that pretty much everything after Part 3 can't happen without him, but how does Dio dying change Diavolo discovering the arrows? :confused:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also I think Kira would probably still have Killer Queen, since I think that came about naturally.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I was under the impression that the arrow that Kira's dad got from Enya was used to make Killer Queen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I was under the impression that the arrow that Kira's dad got from Enya was used to make Killer Queen.

It was.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

I'll admit that pretty much everything after Part 3 can't happen without him, but how does Dio dying change Diavolo discovering the arrows? :confused:

Diavolo still would have gotten the arrows, but Polnareff was the one to figure out what Requiem stands are and how to get them. Pol would still be living in France with his family if DIO never happened.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

BaDandy posted:

Diavolo still would have gotten the arrows, but Polnareff was the one to figure out what Requiem stands are and how to get them. Pol would still be living in France with his family if DIO never happened.
Naw, J. Geil murdered his sister and he went on his revenge quest. I don't believe J. Geil got his Stand from the arrow, he was just that much of a monster on his own!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's hard to say given that the arrow's repercussions on Part 3 aren't really addressed beyond Enya having one and using it on DIO. J. Geil might've obtained the Hanged Man on his own. Or Enya could've accidentally given herself Justice and triggered Hanged Man awakening in her son, seeing as they have some kind of psychic bond and something similar happened with Trish and Diavolo. Or Enya could've just shanked J. Geil with the arrow after seeing its benefits.

Kind of a shame we never see those two interact, in hindsight.

BaDandy posted:

Oh right.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Enyaba would probably be a pretty good antagonist in her own right. Hell you can make an argument she was the one who defeated DIO ultimately. (If he hadn't had a Stand, the Joestars would have not known, although he also would've been hosed if Joseph came for him.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The fact that she and Avdol never meet or fight is one of the biggest missed opportunities in Part 3. :argh:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Without DIO causing a mass proliferation of Stand users Gravity would have pulled Tonio (a natural Stand user) back to his homeland to assassinate Diavolo with fatally tasty food

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Would Pearl Jam have made Diavolo either puke out, or become, Doppio?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Nessus posted:

Enyaba would probably be a pretty good antagonist in her own right. Hell you can make an argument she was the one who defeated DIO ultimately. (If he hadn't had a Stand, the Joestars would have not known, although he also would've been hosed if Joseph came for him.)

Given how much trouble Johnathan had with killing Dio, and how old Joseph is, I am not sure he could have easily taken him on. More likely Avdol would have beaten him, since he's a natural stand user.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Nessus posted:

Doesn't Tonio first need to somehow know what his diners need in order to make a dish to treat them? His lamb dish was supposed to fix Okayasu's stomach problems, but first he tested it on a dog with a similar condition to make sure it'd work as intended, so it seems he makes each dish for a specific purpose.

The real question is how much about Diavolo's condition he could infer just by looking, which Tonio somehow does extremely well.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Nessus posted:

Nah because that'd imply there's anything wrong with Diavolo :v:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

lightrook posted:

Doesn't Tonio first need to somehow know what his diners need in order to make a dish to treat them? His lamb dish was supposed to fix Okayasu's stomach problems, but first he tested it on a dog with a similar condition to make sure it'd work as intended, so it seems he makes each dish for a specific purpose.

The real question is how much about Diavolo's condition he could infer just by looking, which Tonio somehow does extremely well.

I was just thinking he'd kill him, using the forbidden arts of Pearl Jam to overstimulate his body to the point of organ failure

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

lightrook posted:

Yes. Serious illnesses or injuries require rare ingredients. There's a Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe where Rohan helps Tonio get a rare sea snail to cure his girlfriend's brain tumor.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dragonwagon posted:

Given how much trouble Johnathan had with killing Dio, and how old Joseph is, I am not sure he could have easily taken him on. More likely Avdol would have beaten him, since he's a natural stand user.
Joseph was way better at ripple than Jonathan though. Jonathan did all that poo poo with like two weeks' training, tops. I got the impression that if Dio had fallen for Joseph's hamon shibari poo poo in Cairo, that would've been it for our handsome boy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Joseph was more versatile with how he used it, but he didn't have Jonathan's raw innate talent to where he could cause trees to bloom just by touching them.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
all i want for christmas is the part 6 anime announcement :pray:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kuvo posted:

all i want for christmas is the part 6 anime announcement :pray:

Same but I'm not holding my breath.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Joseph was more versatile with how he used it, but he didn't have Jonathan's raw innate talent to where he could cause trees to bloom just by touching them.

It's not about talent. If anything, Joseph is severely more talented than Jonathan, having obtained use over Hamon entirely from birth.

It's about training and effort. As Joseph clearly said, the two phrases he hates the most are "hard work" and "working hard" . Despite not lacking in the talent department, he never attempts to properly master Hamon in the way his mother or grandfather did.

It's sad because Joseph really had everything given to him in a silver platter. He has insane talent from birth, one of the best possible people to teach him, the right occasions to put it to the test, and even a Stand that specifically works around Hamon. But Joseph is Joseph, he's lazy to the core. Fittingly with his second protagonist status, he's Gohan, only replacing the unstoppable anger with a crapton of guile.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'm pretty sure Gohan never checked out his mama's rear end

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My favorite piece of head canon is that The World is Jonathan’s Stand but co-opted by DIO

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Make sense to me. Jonathan's life force manifestation coming from wanting to save people before they get hurt. If he was quicker he coulda saved his dad and countless others from DIO. Not to mention a descendant having a similar power.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, you could also see The World as an extension of Dio's freezing power. He can't use his ice anymore since he's merging with Jonathan, so he needs some other way to stop people in their tracks and render them unable to fight back.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Well, you could also see The World as an extension of Dio's freezing power. He can't use his ice anymore since he's merging with Jonathan, so he needs some other way to stop people in their tracks and render them unable to fight back.

I also like this

really The World is the first of Jonathan and Dio's children

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
We already saw that Jonathan's stand was Hermit Purple so the idea that The World was his has never really sat well with me. By the time he fights Jotaro the body is pretty much entirely DIO's so it makes more sense that it's just his stand.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Thematically speaking it makes the most sense for Dio's real stand to be the ability to steal from the Joestar family, and it matches what's on screen.

Yeah yeah, Araki said blah blah, Araki says a lot of things.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Stopping time is also Araki's conception of the ultimate Big Dick Power, which is why it manifests through DIO and later Jotaro

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tunicate posted:

Thematically speaking it makes the most sense for Dio's real stand to be the ability to steal from the Joestar family, and it matches what's on screen.

Yeah yeah, Araki said blah blah, Araki says a lot of things.

what araki said makes more sense and is more direct than a statement that dio has every joestar's ability based on a sample size of 2, one of which isn't even revealed until like the end of the plot which araki probably included mainly because he thought it was cool

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

DIO reveals his true power that will make the world his and his alone, and encases himself in strangling life-sucking vines.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
This is so well put together that now I kind of wish this was how part 5 ended :')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dquwCrt7y94

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Something I always liked about the version of hermit purple that Dio uses is that he doesn't need to break things.

It either means that Joseph doesn't need to break a camera every time he uses it and he just doesn't realize it or it's another way of showing the kinder, gentler approach to fighting Jonathan took over Joseph's preference towns sleight of hand and trickery.