Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Peaking during Memory holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm not even sure how they decided to release it with that much bad CGI.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gorelab posted:

Release dates are important slots and they get set.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Pick posted:

Release dates are important slots and they get set.

Why was this up against Star Wars?!?!

I mean I’m glad it is. It feels like a weird refutation if how safe, boring, unimaginative it is. It feels like an almost deliberate antithesis to Star Wars and I’m glad it’s here to not just numb the disappointed bored one of Star Wars, but make me not even care. gently caress Star Wars, I wanna be loving Skimbleshanks and have a train and dance and see weird, sincere, even bad movies.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Here’s the guy who played Skimbleshanks. Mother fucken looks like he’s ice skating while tapping. He doesn’t seem to even be at 1/10th his full power in CATS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQvtB-4Pv-U

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:eyepop:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Why was this up against Star Wars?!?!

I mean I’m glad it is. It feels like a weird refutation if how safe, boring, unimaginative it is. It feels like an almost deliberate antithesis to Star Wars and I’m glad it’s here to not just numb the disappointed bored one of Star Wars, but make me not even care. gently caress Star Wars, I wanna be loving Skimbleshanks and have a train and dance and see weird, sincere, even bad movies.

It was a counterprogramming move and to be honest if Cats werent so deliriously offputting it probably could have pulled in a decent opening weekend then counted on weirdos to keep watching it week after week

Edit: Watch the skimbleshanks youtube posted above its great

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/mathewrodriguez/status/1209155139900248064?s=21

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Corden does not work in this. Even Rebel Wilson’s bit is wide eyed terror and she does her best bless her heart, but the whole Bustopher Jones bit is impossibly bad even by this movies standards and I hate James Corden so it’s deeply unpleasant. It’s where Hooper is at his worst and I love how he’s a loving know nothing, absolute poo poo of a director, but he made this. He sure did.

But yeah the Corden segment is the only element of CATS I truly hate and wish was not in the film.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

So are Mungojerry and Rumbleteaser like trying to skeev Victoria into doing poly incest with them?

Edit: the scariest part of this movie is when it THREATENS to show you wut a dog would look like in this world.

Robotnik Nudes fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 24, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LMAO, this is like cat deepfakes. Catfakes

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The most merciful thing for the Internet is that Taylor Swift’s cat wears shoes.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/sketchrobin/status/1208861224974323717?s=19

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Robotnik Nudes posted:

The most merciful thing for the Internet is that Taylor Swift’s cat wears shoes.

I’m sure you mentioning this, and the subsequent image of a fat sweating furry hitting pause on the dvd so he can jerk it to TayTay’s ‘delicious furry toe-beans’, is the opening of the seventh seal.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
Most difficult part of the movie was close ups whenever Grizibella was around -- was difficult to watch. Like they'd just zoom in on cat Jennifer Hudson's face for a good 30 seconds without cutting. They did this 3 times throughout the movie. Each time I felt more like I was trapped and gave me legit anxiety

Favorite part was whatever ian mckellan said on the macavity boat after rebel Wilson clipped through the plank. Whole theater cracked up for a good 30 seconds -- this was a matinee showing with families and serious people which made it more beautiful -- I feel like Ian Mckellans acting was some perverted attempt at a sun downing cat because wtf else was that supposed to be

Brogeoisie fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 24, 2019

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Still don’t get Tom Hooper’s obsession with using a single close-up shot for songs. Does he think that makes them more dramatic?

Valleyant posted:

What I don't get is that train cat's song was about how kickin' rad it is to be him, so why does he want to die/be reborn/go back to kansas

I like that half the cats’ songs are “hey, I’m so cool and I love life, therefore I should die” and the other half are “I’m miserable and old and that’s why I should die”

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

same tbf

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gus's character is sundowning, racist actor cat yes.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I was a bit high and tipsy toward the end, so I don't know if it was just me, but did the frame rate seem to get really weird during the "fight scene" on the boat? Like, things seemed to slow down, but not enough for it to have been an attempt at a stylish slow-mo combat.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

A friends girlfriend who is a super theater nerd asked me if Rumtum Tigger or Magic Mister Mestopholes was a better song and I stood there having acid flashbacks like :stare: for what felt like a long time as my brain started buffering trying to compute any possible answer

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The greatest sin of this movie was that it absolutely robbed rum tum tugger, imo

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Delthalaz posted:

:same:

Isn’t it because she was a cat sex worker and they’re all scandalized victorians? I couldn’t figure this one out too

she's the Cats version of a past-her-prime movie star, which is considered pathetic and sad

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Here’s the guy who played Skimbleshanks. Mother fucken looks like he’s ice skating while tapping. He doesn’t seem to even be at 1/10th his full power in CATS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQvtB-4Pv-U

whoa

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Schmeichy posted:

she's the Cats version of a past-her-prime movie star, which is considered pathetic and sad

whoa

Yea there are some people in this movie who could be future stars.

Francesca Hayward is also crazy talented and one to watch for.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/DeoTasDevil/status/1209198000230154241

It's Pick's time to shine.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Does anyone know what actually changed with the VFX patch? My guess, given the very quick turnaround, is that they only fixed some of the major botched shots like the clipping and fur-less human hands.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

everytime I think I have a moment of peace and quiet the word “jellicle” enters my brain as an intrusive thought

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Gorelab posted:

Or how we have reached a point in time where it's possible for movies to be like video games and need a loving patch.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/brielarson/status/1209542907813711878?s=20

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Ghosthotel posted:

everytime I think I have a moment of peace and quiet the word “jellicle” enters my brain as an intrusive thought

Oh that's because

JELLIIcles would and JELLIIcles can
jellicle CATS do and JELLIIcles are
in your brain now and eating away

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Trashy_In_Pink/status/1209187225721823232?s=20

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/Daviesallison1A/status/1209555650314981376

do you think God stays in heaven because he too is afraid of what he has created?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
were the human cockroaches on top or bottom of the table why did the cat take her fur off and then there was fur underneath but also clothes and what the gently caress did I just watch is my brain broken now?

I just have so many questions

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The cat wears a fursuit I tried to tell you people this the cat wears a fursuit

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

seeing that Tom Hooper has won multiple Major Awards, now is the time that I would like to tell him that: he can chuck all his medals and all his caps and all his pots and all his pans into the biggest loving dustbin he can find. Because he hasn’t won any of them FAIRLY.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

PT6A posted:

were the human cockroaches on top or bottom of the table why did the cat take her fur off and then there was fur underneath but also clothes and what the gently caress did I just watch is my brain broken now?

I just have so many questions

Every question leads only to more questions until eventually you find your name
name name name name name name name

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/thewrap/status/1209532117262061569?s=21

Gonna win Best Picture Baby

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Now you see, macavity: he's the mystery cat.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

if all macavity wants to do is get to heaven then why don’t they just eat the L for a year and let him do it they wouldn’t have to worry about him after that

why am I thinking so much about the cats world

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

TremorX posted:

Every question leads only to more questions until eventually you find your name
name name name name name name name

Name name name name

We never did learn her TRUE CAT NAME, or her second name did we

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

The audio mix just wasn't very good; Memory is this big show stopper that just sounded so flat.

On top of that, I saw it in a kinda dumpy theater that has kinda muffled audio for most films.

Those factors, piled on with the fact that there's just so much weird made-up terminology, made the whole thing feel like a foreign language film, so the whole thing was a total mindfuck. I understood maybe one out of every ten words. Sounded like The Sims language.

I'm so, so glad I saw this hosed up movie.