Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

timn posted:

Solved a completely bullshit quest demolition mission by using a locust as a high speed bulldozer while the rest of my lance stood around and looked distracting in their assault mechs. I'd happier about this had I not already spent an hour trying to do it more conventionally.

Embarrassingly pounded by a runaway locust: a mech tingle tale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Big fan of my thunderbolt for loving everything up. Suspicious of all mechs I haven't tried out myself, previous favorites included, this the hardpoint & mech engineering side of things is so different. Doesn't feel great to stare at a fully kitted out assault in the store I could just buy and stomp away with today wondering if it will secretly be trash.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
SRMs are the king of weapons at least early game.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I've found gauss to be invaluable. You can easily carry loads of ammo, and engage targets at all ranges. You can regularly pop Igors in the engine before they are even targetable. You get most of the damage of an AC/20 with none of the drawbacks. Just make sure you put your gauss in a well-protected spot and never let the AI pilot that mech.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
after the spawns the really big problem with this game is the number of vehicles you have to fight. most of the fights I remember in MW4: Mercs are against 'mechs -- like the big brawl with the Jade Falcons, or the duels with Burr's Black Cobras. Vehicles were a threat, but they were deployed in ways that made sense. Here, I just played a mission where as soon as I crested a ridge there were like twenty vehicles all laying into me immediately. Where's the narrative in that?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
The narrative is that mechs make no realistic military sense and that vehicles are better...maybe?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Why bother with 300 year old bipedal tanks when your backwater farming commune can just field a fleet of hiluxes with PPCs mounted in the bed? It's a story as old as time itself.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Artificer posted:

The narrative is that mechs make no realistic military sense and that vehicles are better...maybe?

I mean if you take that farther in this game the narrative is "every military power in the Inner Sphere, no matter how small, has thousands of fanatical helicopter and hovercraft pilots who are 100 percent willing to die immediately if it means they have even the slightest chance of firing their single medium laser at one of your more expensive components"

like I get it's a game and all that but it'd be much more fun if, say, you were stuck in against a lance of mechs and then you got word of vehicles ambushing you which are a minute out. That way you have a sense of urgency to the fight, and you don't have the weird spectacle of VTOL pilots suiciding into your guns

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

It is slightly weird just how fragile they have made vehicles. A Scorpion or something seems to die if you get the full burn from say, two medium lasers on it? Even if they splash everywhere across the tank?

I forget just how much armour a scorpion has in the tabletop game but it is enough that they are not going to die to a single PPC hit on any location. A manticore battle tank takes something like eight medium laser hits to one location to kill from the front.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Patrat posted:

It is slightly weird just how fragile they have made vehicles. A Scorpion or something seems to die if you get the full burn from say, two medium lasers on it? Even if they splash everywhere across the tank?

I forget just how much armour a scorpion has in the tabletop game but it is enough that they are not going to die to a single PPC hit on any location. A manticore battle tank takes something like eight medium laser hits to one location to kill from the front.

Doing that and reducing the number of vehicles by like 80% would be so much better. Now they're threats by virtue of power rather than "you instakilled 15 of them but the 16th spawned behind you and shot you in the back lol"

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The SRM 40 or SRM 60 carriers are still threats.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Third World Reagan posted:

The SRM 40 or SRM 60 carriers are still threats.

oh they are, 100 percent. So are the Partisan variants and Demolishers. But usually they're far enough away that you can gank them before they get a volley off, so their main threat is more that while you're destroying them, ten other vehicles are plinking away at you

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The game does some stuff right. Having to make tough repair choices after your lance gets beaten up feels very much in the spirit of the BT universe. But having that as a consequence of brain-dead AI and unending vehicle spam makes it seem cheap and unearned.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Purr Objectives posted:

dream mod: cut the vehicle spawns in half across the board. i'm a big boy i don't need to shoot something every two seconds.

This needs to be a mod, I hope the hardpoint system is moddable, and I want the drop tonnage restrictions removed. Pretty sure fun factor would at least double with these fixes.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Bubbacub posted:

The game does some stuff right. Having to make tough repair choices after your lance gets beaten up feels very much in the spirit of the BT universe. But having that as a consequence of brain-dead AI and unending vehicle spam makes it seem cheap and unearned.

yeah I actually do like the fact that armor/component repair is legit expensive

Also some of the high-value contracts have decent stories attached! There's one series where you have to prevent a Davion/Steiner alliance by doing some false flag attacks, another one where you have to assassinate a guy who's gone crazy due to a misjump. Legitimately cool, but the missions all play out the same, i.e. "so there I was, I fought like eight mechs and fifty vehicles"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

timn posted:

Why bother with 300 year old bipedal tanks when your backwater farming commune can just field a fleet of hiluxes with PPCs mounted in the bed? It's a story as old as time itself.

I think someone crunched the numbers with tabletop battlevalues and came to the conclusion that infantry, technicals/light vehicles and some artillery would always make mechs eat poo poo and die.
But infantrymen don't get the holovid contract deals now do they? :smugdon:

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

To be fair one could make an arguement that:

1) Dropships are loving expensive.
2) Elite, high tech space transportable forces can reliably overpower the defenders of a given strategic location if they insert by drophip

and thus:

3) It is really worth investing in very expensive units for offensive operations, or 'fire brigade' defensive action against space mobile attackers.

The fact that mechs are inexplicably more durable than tanks for the same weight and cost is just pure WTFery though. That said another thing with this game is that tanks are not just made out of tissue paper but also bizarrely tiny, a Manticore is 60 tons, why is it smaller volume wise than a 20 ton locust as well as being slower and easier to explode? It also has a fusion engine, it has the same type of armour and is armed with mech weaponry.

Patrat fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 24, 2019

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Patrat posted:

The fact that mechs are inexplicably more durable than tanks for the same weight and cost is just pure WTFery though. That said another thing with this game is that tanks are not just made out of tissue paper but also bizarrely tiny, a Manticore is 60 tons, why is it smaller volume wise than a 20 ton locust as well as being slower and easier to explode? It also has a fusion engine, it has the same type of armour and is armed with mech weaponry.

That's .. an interesting point. I did some searching and it looks like the mechs have been upscaled to be bigger than they should be. One site claims an Atlas should be around 13 meters tall, but this graphic seems to indicate they're more like 18 meters in MWO.

MWO sizes

Original scale versus upscaled

In comparison, an M1 Abrams is 8(+2)x3.7x2.5 meters and 60 tons...

e. also, the tanks may have been downscaled to be smaller than they should be

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 24, 2019

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I'm sure this is contradicted somehow by the actual rules in the tabletop game, but my interpretation was always that tonnage doesn't directly indicate the size of the vehicle itself but rather its capacity to carry armament. A mech requires a load of extra bullshit to make a walking machine that can agilely navigate complex terrain at high speed and bulldoze straight through obstacles on top of the actual arms and armor it's carrying. So a mech is going to be a much larger and more complex vehicle than a tank of similar tonnage.

Which if anything illustrates the same issue of conventional vehicles being far more practical and efficient in 95% of use cases. But I think the idea of mechs occupying that niche of highly flexible fast strike operations is a good one. Mechs are also very good at getting from point A to point B very quickly without roads or across terrain features that are impassable for regular vehicles. I think the mechwarrior games do a pretty decent job of illustrating that with the kind of missions you perform.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
You are correct in that according to the rules and surrounding lore, mech tonnage is literal. An Atlas isn't a 100 on the Mech scale - it masses one hundred tons.

IIRC Mechs have always been bizarrely light for their stated dimensions. Someone crunched the numbers at some time or another and apparently an Atlas floats in water (and that was before PGI made it 50% taller)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Ambaire posted:

That's .. an interesting point. I did some searching and it looks like the mechs have been upscaled to be bigger than they should be. One site claims an Atlas should be around 13 meters tall, but this graphic seems to indicate they're more like 18 meters in MWO.

PGI's scaling is hot garbage because they don't understand the square cube law.

The PGI Atlas has four times the internal volume of the PGI Commando.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
In this game with faster-than-light travel and everyone is ultimately fighting for a telcom.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
They fight with giant robots because giant robots are cool. Now someone please explain to me why jedi use lightsabers.

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.
LosTech laden Warhammer owns so hard.

ER PPC's, Pulse Lasers, Double Heat Sinks, and Artemis SRM6?

:fap:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I played a couple matches in MW:LL and now I know why I stopped.

Tythas' post points to the general direction of the problem. It's still a small, insulated community of hardcore players who don't know how to chill.

I watched a couple of mechwarrior videos on YouTube and now I get all weird alt right recommendations, like the truth behind Greta thunberg and how sjws ruined blablabla. Hmmm.

On topic, as i am running more heavies, I am increasingly relying on hero mechs. That does take a bit of the joy out of the gamey because it makes me paranoid about losing Los tech. Other than the heroes, my SRM Kintaro is still my best damage dealer.

To alleviate my fears about losing lostech, will you get a reliable source of it at some point? I'm in 3032, and other than heroes, I only got little bits here and there as mission rewards.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

I watched a couple of mechwarrior videos on YouTube and now I get all weird alt right recommendations, like the truth behind Greta thunberg and how sjws ruined blablabla. Hmmm.

YouTube goes out of its way to do that

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Dramicus posted:

I've found gauss to be invaluable. You can easily carry loads of ammo, and engage targets at all ranges. You can regularly pop Igors in the engine before they are even targetable. You get most of the damage of an AC/20 with none of the drawbacks. Just make sure you put your gauss in a well-protected spot and never let the AI pilot that mech.

I bought a gauss early on in the campaign and saved it until I had a Highlander because I didn't want to risk losing it in a Hunchback or whatever. So what happens in the very first mission I run it? The ballistic arm is immediately destroyed by a swarm of bullshit, because gently caress Arms.

It did reinforce an important lesson though: never put anything good in the arms of your big stupid robot.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

caedwalla posted:

I bought a gauss early on in the campaign and saved it until I had a Highlander because I didn't want to risk losing it in a Hunchback or whatever. So what happens in the very first mission I run it? The ballistic arm is immediately destroyed by a swarm of bullshit, because gently caress Arms.

It did reinforce an important lesson though: never put anything good in the arms of your big stupid robot.

I'm actually using my gauss in a Highlander 732b, but I've also got 60 points of armor on that arm, so it's as armored as most torsos are. Though I have had to do some torso twisting to keep it intact on a couple occasions. Ideally I'll get an Atlas and put it in the torso.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 24, 2019

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Just made a new save that starts at 3035. Because why not.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Is there a discord channel or place to organize with others to play MW5 co-op?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, the canon Atlas at 13m tall would just barely float. The 18m tall PGI Atlas definitely floats.

Also, unfortunately, PGI "fixed" the scaling on mechs so that they do have a relatively consistent internal volume gradient; which largely just made all the lights much larger and easier to hit, and hosed over MWO's balance pretty badly. The time before the rescaling was the last time light mechs were really good.

Patrat posted:

A Manticore, Demolisher, or Partisan in MW5 takes 5 PPC hits to kill, 50 HP, which seems about right. Scorpions are really fragile though, I think ~10-15 HP. I'm okay with this, given the numbers that are deployed, they're already obnoxious enough with that AC5.

Also the game's plot got a bit silly. At the part where you recover the memory core, it's 3028, "Is this supposed to be the Helm?" then my dropship lady says "Wow, this could be the biggest find since they discovered the Helm memory core back in 3028!"

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

So I just finished the game; watching the credits brings home how small the team that made this game is, I would have guessed a lot more people worked on it, given how the game feels.

Also, Grayson Bullock is in the credits, for QA testing if I recall. I assume that's Russ' son; if he named his kid Grayson, he's a bigger Battletech nerd than I'd guessed.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

picked up MW5 today and sunk a couple hours into it after finding out about the coupon. I gotta say for everything it lacks, it does a really good job of delivering on the "drive a big robot around and run a mercenary company in the Battletech setting" feel, which I guess I might be saying only because there's nothing else trying it right now (HBS's 'Battletech' nailed the management but sometimes I don't want to play a turn-based strat game).

Seems like a lot of the issues are things that can be patched out, so that's cool.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
That's probably a fair take. I'm waiting until early next year to grab it. Hopefully patch 4 or 5 is out and people are like, "it's actually good now."

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yeah it's definitely one of those games where the "Is it worth $XX.XX?" question is going to depend heavily on the person. I feel alright about it at $39.99 but I probably wouldn't start feeling comfortable recommending it until it either hits the $20.00 range or they make some major patches.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It's really hard to describe how this game comes across. There's a pretty decent, even good, game here. They just haven't finished making it.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Q_res posted:

It's really hard to describe how this game comes across. There's a pretty decent, even good, game here. They just haven't finished making it.

The worrisome part is that MWO felt the same way for the first year or so before they let Paul off his leash and started repeatedly making the game worse.

Hopefully MW5 follows a different path, but PGI remains a difficult company to trust.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Voyager I posted:

The worrisome part is that MWO felt the same way for the first year or so before they let Paul off his leash and started repeatedly making the game worse.

Hopefully MW5 follows a different path, but PGI remains a difficult company to trust.

Even game companies that used have halfway decent reputations have gone to poo poo. I'm not about to put faith into something like PGI.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Glenn Quebec posted:

Even game companies that used have halfway decent reputations have gone to poo poo. I'm not about to put faith into something like PGI.

I went in as a Legendary Founder for MWO back in the day, and that remains the only time I've ever given money to PGI.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong about them for MW5, but I'm not exactly counting on them to deliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They have been making mostly decent decisions on mwo for a while now, and that's how mw5 feels imo. Its mostly decent now and has potential to be really good with mods.