Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

HamsterPolice posted:

This is interesting

Leverage and share repurchases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

HamsterPolice posted:

This is interesting

Somewhere out there Adam Neumann's penis is twitching in response to this chart.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Book value is a tricky thing. A fully depreciated apartment building will show up on a balance sheet as land value, but a 30 year old apartment building that has been maintained adequately in a viable market can support significantly more in debt. That metric could just be telling us that companies with assets that depreciate slower than accounting standards indicate will outperform.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Historically, stocks with a high book value to market value ratio have outperformed those with low book to market.

Fama French is falling apart.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

BA as a trade has been pretty resilient to shorts. I did buy puts a while back on it right when that super enthusiatic news came out about FAA approving the 737 MAX by September THIS YEAR. I thought that was absolute mental, nobody would loving fly on that thing without a complete rebranding/remodel + fix.

They've had some horrible quarters cause of the 737 max but maybe investors/institutes believe all the bad news is in, the constant buybacks and dividends also help.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Ulio posted:

BA as a trade has been pretty resilient to shorts. I did buy puts a while back on it right when that super enthusiatic news came out about FAA approving the 737 MAX by September THIS YEAR. I thought that was absolute mental, nobody would loving fly on that thing without a complete rebranding/remodel + fix.

They've had some horrible quarters cause of the 737 max but maybe investors/institutes believe all the bad news is in, the constant buybacks and dividends also help.

As has been said before in this thread, a large part of their revenue comes from military/government. The Max is a huge future revenue source but the company isnt going under just because of this single plane.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Call me a permabear but I've never seen so much overbought poo poo out there.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man it's depressing to look at AMD for me. Made a good profit on stock last year when it ran from $16 to $30 but I also had lots of money in calls for 40 in January 2020 but I sold it right at the loving bottom like a moron. Would have been way deep in the money.

Anyway I guess looking in hindsight doesn't help, we all could have trades we made better.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Finally did my first trade since Ameritrade went commission free, swapped half my ROKU for SOLY yesterday morning. So freeing.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Shorted nvidia

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Femur posted:

Shorted nvidia
It’s basically straight up this month, looks like it may have topped at least in the short term. Hmm.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I believe it will free fall next week.

That's the hope anyways!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Earned nicely today on AMD. Also SOLY in the green.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Hey I just found $50 in my Robinhood account that I didn’t know was there. What should I buy for funsies?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Hey I just found $50 in my Robinhood account that I didn’t know was there. What should I buy for funsies?

SOLY is the current thread pick I believe.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'd say CRTX but it's well over 50 now and also the shares have made it into the hands of the long term players

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Good news, Robinhood now allows you to buy fractional shares

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Asleep Style posted:

Good news, Robinhood now allows you to buy fractional shares

Gotta get on the waitlist first

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I guess I’ll sit on the CRTX I have left, maybe there’ll be another sell-off / some FDA fuckery that’ll be another buy in point.

For SOLY, I got in at $10...need to do some more diligence to see if it’s a decent idea to feed the beast some more.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Hmm, I got in SOLY at 11.70. Interested to see how it will fall/rise after the xmas break.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Buying SQQQ January 17 $20 2020 Puts or The Unexpected Disadvantage Of Being A loving Moron

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
My second round of UNFI calls were up 100% from my purchase price. I guess I should just cash out again and see if another dip comes around, or buy something further out.

Neat.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

MBOT is seeing a quite the surge these days. Worth jumping in? Maybe.

https://www.schaeffersresearch.com/content/news/2019/12/24/mbot-stock-extends-breakout-after-surgical-robot-news

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

That stock's long-term chart looks pretty crazy.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Stocks up, gold up, bonds up. Interesting only USD has been down this whole week. Maybe fed will extend their repo market program even longer...

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

What's the best way to set up some permanent threshold alarms for stock prices? Like get a phone notification or email every time the price goes over or under X.

Thinkorswim only lets you do one way alarms and when an alarm gets triggered it disappears and you have to set it up again.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

UnfurledSails posted:

What's the best way to set up some permanent threshold alarms for stock prices? Like get a phone notification or email every time the price goes over or under X.

Thinkorswim only lets you do one way alarms and when an alarm gets triggered it disappears and you have to set it up again.
You can do it on the website. It's at 'Research & Ideas' -> 'Alerts' -> then the 'Securities' tab. Much like SA, I also often forget that the TD Ameritrade front page exists.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Alternatively you can do it on Finviz if you have a free account or Google sheets finance as well but that takes some knowledge of it's basic code.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

I can hardly believe how “predictable” UNFI has been. I thought surely it wouldn’t dip to low 7s and zoom right back up again, but it fuckin did. At least I bought SOLY with the UNFI funds so it’s more or less been a wash.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Amzn up almost $100 last two days and TSLA was at $437 pre market.

I see no reason to sell profits this year, looks like people will just wait for the new year.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Gonna wait for the market to crash before I sell anything so I don’t have to pay taxes on it

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I just checked, and the s&p500 is up 28 percent year to year. So there is gotta be either some losses at some point, or a pretty long period of stagnation.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I still feel like using the YTD number is cheating given the timing of the 2018 crash. Stocks values were, IMO, artificially depressed during that period because of the shutdown.

It's not like most big crashes where it takes years for the market to recover and so you can argue that the market was reflecting an inherent loss of value in the economy.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

"Tesla Is Now Bigger Than Daimler, BMW, GM And Ford, And Is About To Catch Up To The World's Largest Automaker"

Come on guys I know EV TAM is huge but the nearest estimate for EVs surpassing Gas cars sales is like two decades later even then these oems have their own evs. Who the gently caress is buying TSLA at these prices.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
TSLA valuation has never been rational.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

It’s not worth brain cells trying to apply reason to TSLA valuation. Still hopeful they’ll die soon and better companies will bring EVs to market that aren’t engineering deathtraps.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Soly on sale

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Why numbers go down today?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MetaJew posted:

Why numbers go down today?

So numbers can go up Monday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So numbers can go up Monday?

dead cat bounce, but the cat has reached escape velocity