Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
plus now i know there was a significant cats incident, which i don't think was a gimmick post because it had the unmistakeable ring of truth, in cumshitter's childhood

it all just makes me so happy. i've never even been a musical or theatre person or even all that into cats as a species.

and yet, the cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pick posted:

Go see cats this instant

I will not

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's Righteous

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Pick posted:

It's Righteous
how did this even happen

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i thought the system had checks and balances against this kind of thing

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i would literally give my life for a candid conversation with dame judi dench right now

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fauna posted:

how did this even happen

The tagline for the movie is "you will believe quote. And you can't come out without that fact being true, coming out you believe as hell

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Pick posted:

coming out you believe as hell
like being there when the planes hit the towers

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It is like the time that I was working at a remote research site out in the sticks and it was the day when they fed us "peanut noodle" which was just wet noodles with peanut butter on it, and a dolorous voice carried over the station loudspeakers and throughout the woods to inform us that Michael Jackson had died

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Will Cats inspire a similar phenomenon to 2009’s Avatar where people wish to be part of the film’s world so badly that they feel nothing but a profound sadness at the mundane world around them, asking for a friend

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I saw Frozen 2, and it’s not great?

When is the opening scene meant to take place? Frozen 1 implies (a) Elsa and Anna didn’t really have much of a childhood together, and (b) Elsa definitely didn’t have control of her powers like that. I could just be misremembering.

Too much Olaf again (I hated him in the first one, and the same in this).

Also, a lot of the dialogue weirdly seemed to be bits copied out of psychology books? Lots of ‘I acknowledge your feelings, and they are valid’ style statements which, while are perfectly fine in meaning, come across as very jarring when spoken like that?

And the ending was very rushed, all neatly wrapped up in 5 minutes. The story definitely needed a lot more working.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hedrigall posted:

Will Cats inspire a similar phenomenon to 2009’s Avatar where people wish to be part of the film’s world so badly that they feel nothing but a profound sadness at the mundane world around them, asking for a friend

be the jakesully of your life and plug into a usb port on your cat

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Pick posted:

It is like the time that I was working at a remote research site out in the sticks and it was the day when they fed us "peanut noodle" which was just wet noodles with peanut butter on it, and a dolorous voice carried over the station loudspeakers and throughout the woods to inform us that Michael Jackson had died
hahahaha

do you have that one gay friend who thrives on breaking celebrity news? i will always remember mine bursting into our physics classroom, eyes aglow, this was it, this was his moment

"STEVE IRWIN IS DEAD"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hedrigall posted:

Can we call these people Evanjellicles

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The Japanese release will be titled Neon Genesis Evanjellicle

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

fauna posted:

i thought the system had checks and balances against this kind of thing
Turns out they don't work so good when the wrong kind of people control every relevant branch.

The wrong kind of people being ALW fans, that is.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The_Doctor posted:

I saw Frozen 2, and it’s not great?

When is the opening scene meant to take place? Frozen 1 implies (a) Elsa and Anna didn’t really have much of a childhood together, and (b) Elsa definitely didn’t have control of her powers like that. I could just be misremembering.

Too much Olaf again (I hated him in the first one, and the same in this).

Also, a lot of the dialogue weirdly seemed to be bits copied out of psychology books? Lots of ‘I acknowledge your feelings, and they are valid’ style statements which, while are perfectly fine in meaning, come across as very jarring when spoken like that?

And the ending was very rushed, all neatly wrapped up in 5 minutes. The story definitely needed a lot more working.

When she was a kid she could control her powers fine, she just slipped up once and since then kind of panicked since the troll's warning.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Finally got to watch Frozen 2, my biggest beef was they didn't hook Kristoff up with his fellow reindeer enthusiast.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I saw Frozen 2, and I liked the songs and the jokes and that's about it.

Anna being horny on main for Kristoff was a surprise. I didn't think they'd be able to sneak in something like "I like you better in leather anyway" in Frozen 2, the Eternal Kids Movie Cash Generator.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

sebzilla posted:

Finally got to watch Frozen 2, my biggest beef was they didn't hook Kristoff up with his fellow reindeer enthusiast.

Same, they were good together.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
cats was more enjoyable than star wars and also featured the trolls 2 trailer. there's really no reason not to see it

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I watched Waking Sleeping Beauty on Disney+ and I liked it. My two big takeaways are:

- Howard Ashman basically created the modern form of the Disney Animated Musical and it is legit sad that he died so early. gently caress AIDS.
- I suppose that Roy Disney and Micheal Eisner wheren’t supposed to be any better but man does Jeffery Katzenberg come off as a huge starfucker

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 26, 2019

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Has DreamWorks made anything good lately? Maybe I'm just not paying attention but it doesnt seem like anything's been a big hit for a while.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They had no released 2018, and 2019 was the crappy forgettable Dragons 3 and the one by the Chinese offshoot studio about yetis (again).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The only things clearly in the works are sequels so yeah they and Pixar are basically the same

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

does anybody know how i can watch any of bakshi's stuff online, i'm willing to pay i just can't find it anywhere

anything but fritz the cat, crumb taints everything he breathes upon

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

fauna posted:

Ive told you before, if you’ve got crumb taint then stop eating pastries in bed

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

fauna posted:

does anybody know how i can watch any of bakshi's stuff online, i'm willing to pay i just can't find it anywhere

In the US, you can rent them via Amazon’s VOD store. They have Coonskin, Wizards, and Heavy Traffic, those were the few I searched.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

saladscooper posted:

I saw Frozen 2, and I liked the songs and the jokes and that's about it.

Anna being horny on main for Kristoff was a surprise. I didn't think they'd be able to sneak in something like "I like you better in leather anyway" in Frozen 2, the Eternal Kids Movie Cash Generator.

They had a couple of jokes like that in the first one. The foot size joke, and the shot the trolls took at him in their song.

"His thing with the reindeer…
Troll Duet: That’s a little outside of nature’s laws!"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fauna posted:

Fritz the Cat is a good movie, and pretty far divorced from Crumb's work.

Heavy Traffic is on youtube and Fire and Ice was on Prime last I saw, but I think that's the full extent of his available stuff unless you're willing to pirate or buy physical media.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

haha drat it i'm just going to write to him

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i watched twenty minutes of the bakshi lotr when i was like five and for most of my life thought it was some tonsillitis-induced fever dream until i finally found out it was a real, famous disaster of a movie. now i'd give anything to get my hands on it again. the last legacy of our people, giving tolkien the only adaptation he really, truly deserved

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

all i remember of it is rotoscoped figures twitching epileptically against a lurid sky and acres upon acres of wild, billowing beards

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

this is so unfair lmao i hate capitalism!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What is it with Lord of the Rings inspiring deranged animated adaptations and silly yet terrifyingly catchy songs

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The best is where they rotoscoped Aragorn falling down

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What is it with Lord of the Rings inspiring deranged animated adaptations and silly yet terrifyingly catchy songs
lotr + acid counterculture + the ghosts of karasubazar. the thing's not just a fiasco and a weird expressionist masterpiece and the pioneering of a disastrous new technology, it's a historical and cultural artefact

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

we live in such a weird time. temporally speaking, this is a very strange crisis for me to be having. it is the age of the internet and i desperately need to watch the worst adaptation of lotr ever made but i cannot

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just googled and Amazon, iTunes and VUDU all have the Bakshi LotR as a digital rental. Failing that, the DVD's ten bucks and still in print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the DVD's ten bucks and still in print.
WHAT omg thank you