Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Yay and boo.

Let's find an invisible wall in the Arctic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
ahaha what

Slog like a Slig.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
So digging a tunnah didn't work? Sad.

Guess we'll have to slog through it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Keep on Sloggin'

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That's not how I expected that to turn out at all.

Slog.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Nothing to do but press on through the storm!

quote:

I’ll keep going, you decide. After all, you can always take off your helmet and end the game if it gets too tough.

You pick yourself up from the snowbank and slog through high drifts. Hail whipped by the gale stings your face.

No Nintendo or Sega game ever hurt like this!

Then you glimpse movement in the distance.

Squinting, you see something coming toward you.

As it gets closer, you realize that it’s a human! A human dressed all in fur, with a big fur hood.

Maybe he can give you some tips on how to beat this weird game! Excited, you run toward the stranger. You’re a dozen yards away when he raises a hand.

The hand is holding a spear!

As you skid to a halt, the stranger hurls the spear at you.

quote:

The spear flies toward your chest. You almost decide to let it hit you. A virtual spear can’t kill me, you think.

Or can it? Maybe you shouldn’t take chances. Besides, you don’t want to lose game points.

At the last second you duck. The spear sticks in the snow.

This means war!

“I’m going to wipe out this computer jerk,” you mutter. You pick up the spear. “You’re history!” you scream, running at your opponent.

“Don’t hurt me!” your foe cries. He throws back his hood.

You’re shocked to see that he’s a kid your age. You stop short – but you keep the spear aimed at him.

“I’m sorry,” the kid says. “I thought you were the Abominable Snow Woman.” He looks shaken. “My name is Andy.”

You tell him your name. “What are you doing here?” you ask. “I thought I was the only one playing this game.”

Andy shakes his head. “This is more than a game,” he groans. “Everything that happens in here is real! You can get hurt here. You can even get killed.”

quote:

You burst out laughing. “That’s nuts!” you exclaim. “This isn’t real. In real life, I’m sitting in Madame Zapp’s virtual reality booth. You must be in the booth next to me.”

Andy doesn’t look like he’s kidding. He says, “Days ago, I went to the virtual reality arcade and signed up for ‘Abominable Snow Woman.’ The next thing I knew, I was stuck inside the game. Since then, I’ve been trying to get out.”

“Yeah, right.” You snicker. How dumb does he think you are?

“Look at this,” Andy retorts. He rolls up his sleeve. He shows you a thick, ugly scab on his arm. “I hurt myself my first day here. You think that could happen in a game?”

You remember the rip in your parka, and the cut you got.

But they weren’t real, were they?

“I can prove this is all a computer game,” you say. “I can end it any time just by taking off my helmet.”

You reach up to remove the helmet.

quote:

You place your hands firmly around your neck, where the base of the helmet should be. You pull up.

Congratulations – all you managed to do was choke yourself!

You try again. You close your eyes. You concentrate.

You pull off the hood to your parka.

You open your eyes.

You’re still in the Arctic. And your ears are freezing! Quickly, you tug the hood back on.

“I told you,” Andy murmurs.

“This is a joke, right?” you demand, voice shaking. You yank off your gloves.

The result? Your hands start turning blue.

“No!” you cry. “I don’t believe it!” Your heart begins to pound harder. Despite the cold, you’re starting to sweat. You fight panic. This can’t be happening!

But it is happening.

The virtual reality game is real. And you’re stuck in it.

quote:

“But how – how –“ you sputter.

“Here’s the deal,” Andy explains. “Somehow, the game booth transformed us into electronic images. We only exist inside the game. Whatever happens in here really happens to us.”

You try not to freak out – but you fail.

“We’ve got to get out of here!” you shout.

“The only escape is by finding and defeating the Abominable Snow Woman,” Andy tells you. “That’s how the game works.”

Before you can ask any questions, a thunderous roar fills the air. Something large and white comes bounding toward you.

“It looks like a polar bear!” Andy cries.

Whatever it is – you now know it can hurt you. Your mouth is dry. Your legs are quivering.

Then you hear an even louder sound. CRAAAAACK!

You spin around. A small iceberg has broken off from the snowfield. It bobs out to the gray Arctic sea.

When you turn again, the white beast is closer to you. You still can’t see what it is. But it’s way big.

To stay and face the beast, turn to PAGE 93.

To escape on the floating iceberg, go to PAGE 91.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
Stuck with a massive repair bill after digging our way through the VR machine.

Achievements
None yet.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Escaping on the iceberg sounds like a good idea.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fight the beast and take its power

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

We gotta beat the game somehow! Could we get some appropriate boss music?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The suicidal option is always the right option! Except when it's blatantly suicidal, like jumping off of a train.

chitoryu12 posted:

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

It's not like the book's going to let us grind xp.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
If it was guaranteed to be a monster, I would fight it, but there's no guarantee, and I don't want to fight a polar bear.

Let's escape on the iceberg. Merry Christmas.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Took a couple days off for Christmas, but we're back in action now! Time to fight us a snow monster!

quote:

“Let’s fight the polar bear,” you say fiercely.

Andy grabs his spear. “It’s coming closer!” he screams.

“Get ready to throw!” you respond.

“Wait!” Andy cries. “I’m not so sure it’s a bear.”

“Well, it’s huge!” you shout. “And it’s after us!”

“GRRRROOOOOWWWWWWWWWLLLLL!” the beast cries.

It’s only a few yards away now. “If you won’t throw the spear, give it to me,” you order. “I’ll do it.”

“Not until we know what it is,” Andy insists.

“What does it matter?” you practically scream. “Whatever it is, it wants to eat us!” You grab for the spear.

Andy pulls it back. You wrestle for a moment.

Finally, you yank the spear away from him.

“GGGRRRRRROOOOWWWWLLLLLL!” the white beast roars. It’s only a few feet away from you now.

In a panic, you heave the spear at it.

quote:

Oops. You threw the spear too hard.

It sails far beyond the beast.

The beast turns and races after the spear. It grabs the shaft in its mouth. Then it races back to you.

It drops the spear at your feet. Tail wagging, it licks you with a moist, cold tongue the size of a windshield.

“It’s a dog!” you cry in astonishment.

The white dog wags its tail even harder. Its friendly black eyes sparkle. It reminds you of a puppy you once had – except it’s the size of your mom’s minivan. Dangling from its collar is a dog tag as big as a car’s license plate.

“’Name: Abominable Ice Hound,’” you read aloud. “’If found, please return to Abominable Snow Woman.’”

“It must be the Abominable Snow Woman’s pet!” Andy declares.

At the mention of its owner’s name, the dog barks once, sharply. Then it takes off, bounding over the snow.

“Come on!” you cry to Andy. “Maybe it will lead us to her!”

A mountain range looms nearby. About halfway up one hill, you spot a dark shape. A cave! you realize as you draw closer.

Maybe the Abominable Snow Woman lives inside!

quote:

As you and Andy step into the cave, you’re practically blinded. The bright walls and ceiling are made of sparkling ice.

There’s more. One wall of the cave is covered with shelves made of ice. On the shelves are dozens of objects: ice-cube trays, cans of instant snow, a ticket to the Ice Capades, a book of fairy tales opened to “The Snow Queen.”

Weird.

You spot a sign hanging over one of the shelves: SURVIVAL GEAR. TAKE ONE. SIGNED, THE ABOMINABLE SNOW WOMAN.

Two items lie on the shelf: a gold-rimmed magnifying glass and a silver compass.

“Let’s take the magnifying glass,” you suggest. “It could help us see small things. That might come in handy.”

“But with the compass, we might be able to figure out where we are,” Andy points out.

“Come to think of it,” you say, “maybe we should take both.”

If you take the compass, turn to PAGE 137.

If you take the magnifying glass, turn to PAGE 98.

If you take both things, turn to PAGE 118.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Don't be greedy. Just the magnifying glass.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The Abominable Snow Woman doesn't seem that bad.

Let's take the silver compass

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Take the Gold Magnifying Glass because we aren't second best.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Magnifying glass, then do some nonsense to melt the snow, end up melting the whole VR set-up.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I want it all

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If this route doesn't end with us watching The Mighty Ducks with the Abominable Snow Woman, I will be very disappointed.

Magnifying glass.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Hmm.... Compass.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Magnifying glass it is!

quote:

“Let’s take the magnifying glass,” you tell Andy. “What good is a Compass? We already know we’re in the north.”

“Whatever,” Andy mutters sulkily.

Shrugging, you slip the lens into your parka pocket. “Now all we have to do is find the Abominable Snow Woman,” you observe.

“No kidding, Einstein,” Andy sneers.

You ignore that crack and suggest, “Maybe the Ice Hound will take us to her.”

But where is the Hound? It has vanished.

Then you hear panting. A moment later, the Ice Hound barks.

The chilly dog is standing in front of an opening in the back of the cave. “ROWWWWF!” the dog barks. Its shaggy tail wags.

“Come on,” Andy says. “Let’s follow it!”

The dog ducks its head and disappears through the opening.

You peer into the opening. It looks dark and slick.

“Wait!” you cry. “Shouldn’t we –“

But Andy has already stepped through. Gulping, you follow him.

quote:

You find yourself in a narrow, icy tunnel. In the dim light, you see Andy and the Ice Hound up ahead. You hurry to catch up.

The dog speeds up. The tunnel grows darker. You scramble forward.

“Where’s he taking us?” you wonder aloud.

“Maybe the Abominable Snow Woman lives deep in the cave,” Andy replies.

You keep following the dog. But after several minutes, you still haven’t gotten to the end. And the tunnel is almost pitch-black now.

“I’m going back,” you tell Andy. “We’re not getting anywhere.”

“I guess you’re right,” he agrees.

The two of you turn around and start back to the main cave.

You’ve taken two steps when you hear a terrifying growl.

quote:

“GGGGRRRRRR!”

Your heart nearly stops in fright. The growling is coming from the friendly Ice Hound!

Suddenly it doesn’t seem so friendly. It stands glaring at you. Its teeth are bared. Its white fur stands on end.

“Easy, pooch, easy,” you plead.

“I don’t think it wants us to turn back,” Andy whispers.

You take a step back. The hound growls louder. It paces toward you.

You notice saliva dripping from its razor-sharp teeth. You remember how fast it can run. You recall how much you hate pain.

“I think we’d better keep following,” Andy says.

You glance around in desperation. There’s no escape, except back the way you came. What will you do?

Turn back on PAGE 11.

Follow the Ice Hound on PAGE 89.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
:siren:Magnifying Glass:siren:

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
OBEY THE DOGGO

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

There's no going back now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Darthemed posted:

OBEY THE DOGGO

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
We must follow the doggo. Why? Because he's a good boy. How do we know? Because he's a dog - all dogs are good boys. Even the girls.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Darthemed posted:

OBEY THE DOGGO

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Alright, we'll follow the dog!

quote:

You let the Ice Hound lead you through the long tunnel. At least it’s taking you to the Abominable Snow Woman.

Or is it?

You hear a high, squealing noise in the distance. The squealing gets louder. It sounds almost like –

“Puppies!” Andy cries excitedly.

He’s right. At the end of the tunnel lies a big pile of rags. On top of the rags you see three baby Ice Hounds. They have long floppy ears and soft pink noses. Each is as big as a full-grown German shepherd.

“They’re cute,” you tell the Ice Hound. “But where’s the Abominable Snow Woman?”

The Ice Hound wags its tail. It seems friendly again. It runs up to Andy.

Then it clamps its huge jaws around his middle and lifts him up.

Andy screams. “No! Put me down!” he yells.

quote:

The Ice Hound grips Andy in its big, wet mouth. It carries him over to the pile of rags and drops him. The puppies squeal even louder.

They squeal in hunger.

Now the Ice Hound turns around. It heads straight for you.

In horror, you realize that it’s dinnertime for the puppies. And that you and Andy are supposed to be their chow!

You thought virtual reality was going to be like watching TV – only you’d be part of the show.

But you never dreamed that you would be the TV dinner!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magnifying Glass

Bad Endings
:siren:Fed to a litter of Abominable Ice Puppies.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Play "Adrift off Vega".
  • Escape on the floating iceberg.
  • Take the compass.
  • Take both the compass and the magnifying glass.
  • Turn back while following the Ice Hound.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Andy deserved that for having no common sense. :colbert:

Flee from the dog.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Don't Follow the Dog

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
I am a greedy son of a bitch and demand we take both the compass and the magnifying glass.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Ciao, doggos

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

All of a sudden I remember the remark when we didn't follow the obvious plot hook.

Well, gently caress you too doggy.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Worth it for puppies, but bye, dog

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

LuffyVeggies posted:

I am a greedy son of a bitch and demand we take both the compass and the magnifying glass.

Exactly! What if we need to know which way something really small is oriented with respect to virtual earth's magnetic field?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

LuffyVeggies posted:

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Dogs are one of my biggest fears IRL, so I'm 100% on board with ditching the Ice Hound.

quote:

“Let’s head back,” you whisper to Andy.

He nods. At the same instant, you both wheel around and start walking quickly back along the tunnel.

“ROWWWWF! ROWWWWF!”

Uh-oh! The Ice Hound is after you! You start to run.

You glance over your shoulder. The Ice Hound is gaining.

“Faster!” you shout to Andy. “Faster!”

Then you hear a dull roaring from behind you. When you glance over your shoulder again, you gasp.

The tunnel behind you is collapsing.

The pounding feet of the huge dog are causing a cave-in!

As you watch, a ton of ice and snow falls down between you and the Ice Hound. “NOOOOOO!” Andy screams as a wall of ice races toward you.

You and Andy are knocked off your feet. You cover your head with your arms. You’re about to be buried alive!

But instead, the wall of ice pushes you and Andy forward. You skid along the tunnel and pop out the cave’s entrance.

The next thing you know, you’re rolling down the mountain.

quote:

WUMMPPPFFF!

You and Andy land on a cold, wet, slushy surface.

Stunned, you lie there for a moment. Then you slowly pick yourself up. “I can’t believe were still alive!” you exclaim.

You check out the landscape. There’s no sign of the cave entrance. Or of the Abominable Ice Hound. All you see is white, white snow in all directions. The Arctic sun is a pale disk in the distance.

“What happened? Where are we?” Andy wails.

“I’m not sure,” you reply. “But don’t panic.”

“Don’t panic? We’re stuck in the middle of the Arctic!”

“Would you chill out?” you snap.

“Chill?” Andy grumbles. “I’m already frozen.”

Then you spot a trail of footprints leading into the distance. The footprints look human, except for one thing: They’re as big as tennis rackets.

“Look!” you cry, pointing.

Andy inspects them. “I bet they were made by the Abominable Snow Woman,” he declares. “She’s supposed to be a giant!”

quote:

You start to follow the footprints into the snow. But they lead far into the distance. They could go on for miles.

“Maybe if we wait here, the game will end,” you suggest. “Maybe we don’t have to find the Abominable Snow Woman.”

Andy shakes his head. “I’ve tried to find other ways out,” he replies. “Nothing worked. I’m telling you, we’re dead meat – unless we defeat the Abominable Snow Woman.”

You sigh. What if Andy is wrong? What if he’s lying?

Hey. What if he’s the Abominable Snow Woman?

Your heart skips a beat. Then you examine his face. Nah, you decide. He’s just a kid who wants to go home. Like you.

You and Andy set off again. It’s hard to walk in the deep snow. And who knows how far you might have to go?

“Look! Up ahead!” Andy shouts suddenly.

You squint into the distance. Something bright red gleams against the snow. What could it be?

quote:

You and Andy rush toward the shiny red thing. It looks like a small car. But it has skis instead of wheels.

“It’s a snowmobile!” Andy cries.

What luck! The computer program has placed a snowmobile in the middle of the ice field. “We’ll definitely find the Abominable Snow Woman with this!” you exclaim.

“There’s only one problem,” Andy points out. “The seat holds just one person. I’ll go.”

“But I’ve driven a snowmobile before. I bet you haven’t,” you object. “I should go.”

Andy won’t back down. “I’ve been here longer,” he counters.

You frown. “There’s only one way to settle this,” you declare. “We’ll arm-wrestle.”

To figure out who wins, place a penny and a nickel in one hand. Squeeze the coins. Then open your hand and let them drop.

If the nickel lands closer to your feet, you win the arm-wrestling contest. Turn to PAGE 106.

If the penny lands closer to your feet, Andy wins. Go to PAGE 36.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magnifying Glass

Bad Endings
Fed to a litter of Abominable Ice Puppies.

Achievements
None yet.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Uh... we win?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rebonack7 posted:

Dogs are one of my biggest fears IRL, so I'm 100% on board with ditching the Ice Hound.

:same:

Andy wins.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
drat it, I'm Canadian - we got rid of the penny years ago. I can't play.

...unless you allow the loophole of a dime, at which point, Andy wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I'm in the UK, we don't have nickels only pennies. So Andy wins by default.