Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Star Wars Rise of Skywalker - 4.5/5. Great end to a set of films that are aimed towards kids, but still enjoyable as an adult.

Star Wars Laughing at Crying Nerds - infinity/5. Just the best. Not the people who just didn’t like it much, but the ones who are so loving outraged yet again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I think the new star wars looked real cool but breezed from setpiece to the next too fast for most emotion to land

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Report isn’t much special but Adam Driver is good in it, the supporting cast is stacked with ringers and there’s at least one structural flourish that’s interesting. It’s on Amazon Prime if you want a lot of dramatic shots of Annette Bening/Dianne Feinstein

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Matchstick posted:

Uncut Gems 2019 0/10 In this direct assault on the craft of filmmaking (as well as the aural and visual senses) Adam Sandler portrays a revolting dealer of revolting jewelry in Manhattan's Jewish diamond district who is trying to manage family life, a girlfriend, and rising gambling debts to the mob. In a mind-numbing display of pure carcinogenic cacophony, Sandler never stops yelling throughout the entire movie. This aggressively reprehensible movie will likely be short-listed as a preferred method of CIA Enhanced Interrogation. If one were to place ten pounds of poo poo in five pound bag between a light source and a screen, they would come close to approximating this dreck. This A24 disaster shall be redeemed in my eyes only if it destoys the careers of Directors Safdie and Adam Sandler.

The second scene was filmed inside a human rear end in a top hat. I should have heeded the warning.

(e to mention the distributor)

This was way more accurate than I initially thought. 2/5 Idina Menzel was probably the only good thing here. Movie felt 3 hours long too.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel better about just boycotting the movie because it has K.G.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Twins (1988): 7/10
True Stories (1986): 9/10
Night of the Lepus (1972): 6/10
How to Steal a Million (1966): 6/10
Forbidden Zone (1980): 8/10
Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker (2019): 3/10
Cats (2019) 8/10

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

uncut gems - 3.5/5

making my way through the 2019 things i didn't go see in a theater list

booksmart - 3.5/5
good boys - 3/5
the farewell - 3.5/5
island of the hungry ghosts - 4/5 (free on prime currently)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Black Panther

Killmonger was right.

Viewing #1: EDIT: gently caress it, 2.5 1.5/5

REVISION #1!!!!!

Bumping this down to 1.5 because not only is this complete neoliberal Third Way apologist shite, but lol:

ruddiger posted:

wrongly accused of murder, Black Panther Robert Seth Hayes sat in prison for decades. his family struggled to raise money for his legal fees while Marvel fans shared his likeness and celebrated the capitalization of his image.

he passed away yesterday, mere months after he was finally freed from his cage.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 28, 2019

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Dolemite is my Name 9/10

A fantastic biopic about the late Rudy Ray Moore, great performances from everyone in the cast especially Eddie Murphy and Da'Vine Joy Randolph. Hilarious throughout and with an incredibly sweet and heartwarming ending that made me choke up a little bit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh, right.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Total garbage. I'm not even going to bother explaining why, I hate thinking about this movie and never want it to cross my mind again.

Viewing #1: 1/5

WOULD I WATCH THIS AGAIN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
paradise hills - 1/5
monos - 3.5/5

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Little Women 5/5

Just perfect. I could not be any happier with this adaptation

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Little Women 5/5

Just perfect. I could not be any happier with this adaptation

Agreed. Top 3 of the year. Casting and performances were perfect. Cinematography and editing were a masterclass. Just great.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I’ve almost finished watching the first segment of my Western films, "Pre-Stage Coach: 1903 - 1926" and realized I should start saying something now before I'm a dozen movies deep.

These early silent films set the tone of rough action, melodrama, and stock characters that Stage Coach would go on to both culminate and transcend. Although it feels odd to assign these movies a hard rating since they’re noteworthy mostly for their influence on the genre, at least two of these films are quite good in and of themselves and could be enjoyed today even outside of some genre retrospective. Per the OP I’m going to spoil tag some stuff since, even though these films are ancient, most of them also aren't widely viewed.

The Great Train Robbery (1903) 3/5

The first film is the best example of the difficulty of grading these earliest Westerns; The Great Train Robbery feels more like an extended scene than one complete movie.
However, that small scene introduces core elements of the Western Genre: bandits, posses, fist fights and shootouts, bawdy dance-halls, and, of course, Train Robberies. There were a few famous visual tricks I knew to look for, like the painstaking film cutting to create a moving background and the famous “point of view” gun shot. Other highlights include the “stick `em up” scene with the passengers and the safe guard shoot out, the acting in both is surprisingly nature aside from reaching to heaven in the stage-acted deaths.
Still, even if The Great Train Robbery is so raw and unsophisticated as to be almost unrecognizable compared to a modern feature-length film, it’s on youtube and short, so the barrier for entry couldn’t be lower.

Hell's Hinges (1916) 3/5

Unsurprisingly, thirteen years allows a new art form to grow in complexity; this is a got-danged movie. Unlike its predecessor in this list, Hell’s Hinges features a protagonist, William S. Hart as Blaze Tracy. Since Hart is the first real Western star in this list; he’d go on to star in, produce, or direct dozens of silent westerns, and Wikipedia says that “during the late 1910s and early 1920s, he was one of the most consistently popular movie stars”. He had a background as a Shakespherian actor, including a role in the first stage production of Ben-Hur, which is going to give him a link to another early Western leading man, Harrey Carrey, who we’ll see later). Finally, while I wouldn’t exactly call him gorgeous, he has a striking face that excels in the stark close ups of early film, check this out:

Also note, in the above photo, the fantastic costume. Hart loved the west; he owned one of Billy the Kid’s revolvers and was a friend of Wyatt Earp; and he insisted on accurate props and costumes in his pictures. The visual authenticity of the movie is excellent and I’m going to really miss these outfits when we get to the 50’s and I’m watching Johnny Guitar.

Furthermore, Hell’s Hinges doesn’t just provide us with a protagonist, it provides an anti-hero. The titular town is a sort of Deadwood, lawless and dangerous, and Blaze Tracy likes it that way. The gunman lives by his own rules and, as the film itself says, he’s one side of a coin that also features the reprehensible Silk Miller, a treacherous tavern owner whose evil is helpfully illustrated by an intertitle card which reveals he is *gasp* half Mexican. The basic premise is that religion comes into the town, including a beautiful and pure young woman named Faith, and Blaze is drawn into conflict with Silk and the other, seedier elements of Hell’s Hinges.
The movie is still rough in it’s narrative structure and pacing, but the premise and central characters are iconic, there are some fantastic close ups, and the climax has Blaze burning the whole damned town, six guns blasting in both hands, the whole thing shot in a red filter, righteous:

While The Great Train Robbery is justly famous as the First Western, Hell’s Hinges represents an essential evolution from that film into a more sophisticated form; in support of that I’ll close with this excellent contemporary review:

The New York Press posted:

"Gunplay and religion lubricate 'Hell's Hinges' ... It is a film drama that combines all the elements that make for success ... Reckless riding, double-handed shooting from the hip, a dance hall of the Bret Harte description and, finally a conflagration that gives a truly Gehenna-like finish to the place known as Hell's Hinges ... No actor before the screen has been able to give as sincere and true a touch to the Westerner as Hart. He rides in a manner indigenous to the soil, he shoots with the real knack and he acts with that sense of artistry that hides the acting."

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Worth noting that except for some occasional early color process stuff, silent-era films were shot in B&W and were tinted/toned during the printing process. (Tinting is dying the actual celluloid base, toning uses print stock that has the emulsion modified so that it appears a certain color. Some films even had both tinting and toning to create some neat color effects)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Neat; I thought I was probably using the long term for it, thanks.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bottom Liner posted:

Agreed. Top 3 of the year. Casting and performances were perfect. Cinematography and editing were a masterclass. Just great.

It was a good adaptation in a number of ways, but I thought the casting had a few weaknesses, while I'm reflecting. Friedrich was French...which is...weird but who cares. More clunky tho was Emma Watson as the eldest which didn't work at all, in addition to her being uniformly bad at acting.

Pugh was simply great casting and added a lot of texture to a character that's normally interpreted as nothing but petulant. Dern did excellent with a thankless role. Ronan did well but I kind of felt she was too manic for Jo. Her chemistry with the others was noticeable tho. The actress for Beth was underused, but that was mostly because of the excellent editing choices informed by the screenplay. And the production design was fantastic even if the photography lacked flourish.

Overall a good ride.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I loved Emma and Saoirse (and thought Emma looked the oldest even if Saoirse has matured a lot since Ladybird) but agree that Florence Pugh’s Amy stole the show. I really loved the Laura Dern casting too and thought that her and Saoirse had great chemistry and similar mannerisms.

The cinematography wasn’t flashy but it was so well lit and composed that it had some really memorable moments. The day/dusk transition on the beach, the failed proposal shot, and a few others definitely stood out. For a straightforward drama story it added a lot to be so visually appealing and warm feeling to create the mood.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

The cinematography wasn’t flashy but it was so well lit and composed that it had some really memorable moments. The day/dusk transition on the beach, the failed proposal shot, and a few others definitely stood out. For a straightforward drama story it added a lot to be so visually appealing and warm feeling to create the mood.

Yeah, I'd agree. Moreover, the cinematography was grounding in a way that served the more experimental structure of this adaptation.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Dolemite is my Name 9/10

A fantastic biopic about the late Rudy Ray Moore, great performances from everyone in the cast especially Eddie Murphy and Da'Vine Joy Randolph. Hilarious throughout and with an incredibly sweet and heartwarming ending that made me choke up a little bit.
Just watched that yesterday too. I wasn't familiar with RRM outside of that one BotW episode but it's fun as hell and makes him look like a really nice guy. Sure his movies make no sense and he doesn't know karate but they're all clearly doing their best and having fun.

I, Tonya 4.5/5
Went in blind after picking it randomly from the RT top 200 list. It's a (mostly?) true story about Tonya Harding, the figure skater from the 80s-90s who was the first to do a triple axel.

I knew nothing about her before but of course the movie gives you the whole story since she's "soft-4". And thankfully for the general audience, the film spends just enough time on the skating to set up the stakes, but mostly focuses on all the surrounding drama. There's a mostly pretty sad background with her parents and then some absolutely batshit stuff with her husband and his associates. It's like one of those movies about inept bumbling criminals except real.

It's all well made, great performances, and really somewhat touching. Probably not something I'll remember years from now but definitely a fun movie and well worth checking it out, even if you couldn't care less about figure skating.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Put together my favorites list for the year and overall I think it was a pretty great year.

13 - Toy Story 4
12 - Queen & Slim
11 - Rocketman
10 - Avengers Endgame
9 - Knives Out
8 - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
7 - Us
6 - Booksmart
5 - The Peanut Butter Falcon
4 - The Lighthouse
3 - Little Women
2 - Waves
1 - Parasite

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Haven't seen Uncut Gems, Pain & Glory, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, or a few others yet...but here's what I have for my top 20

20 - Knives Out
19 - Ford v Ferrari
18 - Booksmart
17 - Us
16 - Diego Maradona
15 - Dragged Across Concrete
14 - Waves
13 - The Irishman
12 - Little Women
11 - Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood
10 - Ad Astra
9 - Ash is Purest White
8 - High Life
7 - Long Day's Journey Into Night
6 - The Souvenir
5 - The Farewell
4 - Her Smell
3 - Midsommar
2 - The Lighthouse
1 - Parasite

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Ratedargh posted:

Haven't seen Uncut Gems, Pain & Glory, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, or a few others yet...but here's what I have for my top 20

20 - Knives Out
19 - Ford v Ferrari
18 - Booksmart
17 - Us
16 - Diego Maradona
15 - Dragged Across Concrete
14 - Waves
13 - The Irishman
12 - Little Women
11 - Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood
10 - Ad Astra
9 - Ash is Purest White
8 - High Life
7 - Long Day's Journey Into Night
6 - The Souvenir
5 - The Farewell
4 - Her Smell
3 - Midsommar
2 - The Lighthouse
1 - Parasite

Ad Astra @ 10....yikes.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

quote:

I, Tonya 4.5/5
Went in blind after picking it randomly from the RT top 200 list. It's a (mostly?) true story about Tonya Harding, the figure skater from the 80s-90s who was the first to do a triple axel.

I knew nothing about her before but of course the movie gives you the whole story since she's "soft-4". And thankfully for the general audience, the film spends just enough time on the skating to set up the stakes, but mostly focuses on all the surrounding drama. There's a mostly pretty sad background with her parents and then some absolutely batshit stuff with her husband and his associates. It's like one of those movies about inept bumbling criminals except real.

It's all well made, great performances, and really somewhat touching. Probably not something I'll remember years from now but definitely a fun movie and well worth checking it out, even if you couldn't care less about figure skating.

If you have Hulu, you should look up sharp edges, a short doc done by Tonya's skating bud when they are 16. It's a bit of a mind gently caress after seeing I Tonya

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Ratedargh posted:

8 - High Life

We're officially enemies now.

Here's my worst of 2019 list (so far!)

greener grass - 0/5
xmen dark w/e - 0/5
hellboy - 0/5
high life - 0/5
paradise hills - 0/5

and the runner ups:

terminator 6 - 1.5/5
rambo 5 - 1/5
spiderman 2 - 1/5
childs play - 1/5
gemini man - 1/5
avengers endgame - 1/5
capt marvel - 1/5
happy death day 2 - 1/5
pet sematary - 1/5
lego movie 2 - 1/5
brightburn - 1/5
glass - 1/5

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It would be really amazing if Parasite wins best picture at oscars.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I feel like the farewell is going to do really well at the Oscars. It's exactly the kind of movie they eat up.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

zer0spunk posted:

We're officially enemies now.

I've been told many times that I have questionable taste

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Ratedargh posted:

I've been told many times that I have questionable taste

I never walk out of anything and I came very close after the back to back rape scenes..and I wish I had.

- the creepy pointless doctor character and her weird sex chamber
- a total and absolute waste of andre 3000 and his plant death or whatever the hell that was
- the time jump thing
- robert pattinson mumbling to himself for way too many scenes

i did like a few shots themselves, which they used in the trailer that got me to go see the thing..so good job A24. the shot of the bodies floating, the weird space wide shots of the ships, and the black hole stuff notably. i stopped watching trailers altogether because of high life.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

It would be really amazing if Parasite wins best picture at oscars.

Is it going to get any awards campaign? I assumed being a Korean film it wouldn’t be pushed for the Oscars really

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Bottom Liner posted:

Is it going to get any awards campaign? I assumed being a Korean film it wouldn’t be pushed for the Oscars really

If anything were to help it along in the Academy's eyes, it's commercial performance, and it has made a shitload of money in the US for a foreign film.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Right, but I’m asking if the studio will even bother submitting it for consideration (and the financial campaigning required for all that). I assumed it’ll get slotted in for an easy win in best foreign film.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
That's a very interesting question because I wonder if such a campaign would be taken on by the Korean company that produced it or if Neon would feel inclined to garner prestige for themselves as a domestic distributor. I'm now realizing I have no idea who pays for anything.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Bottom Liner posted:

Right, but I’m asking if the studio will even bother submitting it for consideration (and the financial campaigning required for all that). I assumed it’ll get slotted in for an easy win in best foreign film.

Neon spent money on I Tonya a few years back and I don't think they have anything else they can push this year

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I'm now realizing I have no idea who pays for anything.

Yeah same, it's all a fuzzy mess but I would love to see it make a run. I'm entirely ready to be disappointed by Joker and Uncut Gems sweeping everything though :smith:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sweeping? Eh I’m not sure more than a few noms between them. Maybe best actor nom for Joker but not a win. Not that it’s felt like a prestige year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

morestuff posted:

Neon spent money on I Tonya a few years back and I don't think they have anything else they can push this year

Neon had a real bad year in 2018, and comparatively 2019 has been absolutely amazing. Three critically acclaimed documentaries, Monos, Parasite, and Portrait of a Lady on Fire.

It's been a legendary comeback for a distributor that looked like it was on the brink of collapse. I don't think Neon is in a position to spend a bunch of money pushing Parasite more than it already has, but I could be wrong. Parasite saved Neon's rear end, and I think it has a good shot at Best International Film.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sweeping? Eh I’m not sure more than a few noms between them. Maybe best actor nom for Joker but not a win. Not that it’s felt like a prestige year.

I think I'd put this year as the best since 2016. And I hope you're right.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm 100% out of the loop, is uncut gems joining Punch Drunk Love in the category of "Adam Sandler can act, apparently once every twenty years"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Neon had a real bad year in 2018, and comparatively 2019 has been absolutely amazing. Three critically acclaimed documentaries, Monos, Parasite, and Portrait of a Lady on Fire.

It's been a legendary comeback for a distributor that looked like it was on the brink of collapse. I don't think Neon is in a position to spend a bunch of money pushing Parasite more than it already has, but I could be wrong. Parasite saved Neon's rear end, and I think it has a good shot at Best International Film.

There's a distinct possibility of a vanity angle that could factor in. Tim League (co-founder of Alamo, Mondo, and Neon) is obsessed with Bong and went so far as to rename the main Alamo in Austin the Bong Joon-Ho Theater. I could totally see them busting out a campaign for the movie because of the respect.

e: Why am I playing a game of oscar campaign fan fiction? What is wrong with me?

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 30, 2019