Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

highme posted:

More than a little glad I was able to steer our quadrennial "Cold Family Xmas" from my dad's original idea of Whistler to Bachelor.

You 100% made the right call. It’s so busy it’s dangerous out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Race season is under way now and I'm super excited although we don't have a ton of terrain open now on our tiny resort.

In kid stoke news, our team did a promo video of the kids from last season and my daughter is there at 14 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzTRifNo1ts

All the baby blue ribbons on the backs of the helmets are for our teammate who died last year of cancer at the age of 15. We've named a race after her and her family is still very involved.

EDIT: Unfortunate news, 2 deaths at Killington so far this season. Last week was a collision leading to a brain bleed. And yesterday, there was another death. not certain the circumstances of that but someone said head injury from a jump.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 24, 2019

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
^^^^^ dang :(. This will be my first real season on the slopes so guess I never really thought about it before, but how rare (or common) are fatal accidents at resorts?

HookShot posted:

You 100% made the right call. It’s so busy it’s dangerous out here.
Reminds me, I went up to Big Bear for the first time Saturday for a day trip, had to slalom around people all day. I was annoyed at Mountain High last season, but this felt worse, like more people and more of an even distribution of people sitting along entire runs. I get eating it and all (certainly still do it enough myself), but like no one was making an effort to even be aware and look around or try to get up or anything. Not to mention the people taking selfies...would it be bad form to photo bomb and tell them it’s a bad place for a picture?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Stopping in the middle of a run for a breather or to wait for someone (read: one’s kid) is one thing.

Sitting down in the middle of a run to hang out for a bit seems extremely weird. Is this a thing?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yes

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

japtor posted:

^^^^^ dang :(. This will be my first real season on the slopes so guess I never really thought about it before, but how rare (or common) are fatal accidents at resorts?
Deaths are rare but do occur with regularity. For example, Colorado has between half a dozen to a dozen resort deaths per year and about as many back country deaths. To put it in perspective, you're more likely to die in a car accident going to the resort than you are to die in an accident at the resort but still it happens. Also wear a helmet. My daughter's life was saved by her helmet a couple of seasons ago when she had a ski race training accident that put her head first at speed into a metal fence support pole. She would have died or had a severe traumatic brain injury otherwise.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 24, 2019

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
e: ^^^^^ yikes, yeah stuff like that is exactly why I’ll always wear a helmet and pester others to do so.

Dangerllama posted:

Stopping in the middle of a run for a breather or to wait for someone (read: one’s kid) is one thing.

Sitting down in the middle of a run to hang out for a bit seems extremely weird. Is this a thing?
Yeah it’s pretty common from what I’ve seen. Guessing it’s just inexperienced people (hence falling in the first place) not knowing how dangerous it is to just chill there in the middle of a run. Motivation for me to get better I guess since you tend to see less of it as the difficulty of the runs go up.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Always wear a helmet.

We have a death out here (Banff area) at the resorts every few years. More die in the back country due to avalanches but it is a risky sport.

Be careful out there goons, and Merry Christmas!

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Yuns posted:

My daughter's life was saved by her helmet a couple of seasons ago when she had a ski race training accident that put her head first at speed into a metal fence support pole. She would have died or had a severe traumatic brain injury otherwise.

Plenty of info and studies out there so you don't have to take my word for it, but snow sports helmets are pretty bad at protecting against traumatic brain injuries and deaths. A ski helmet is not going to be the difference between dying and walking away like nothing happened. It might be the difference between being dead and being seriously brain injured (ex: Michael Schumacher) but if your head suffers a catastrophic impact you are going to be hosed up no matter what. Sounds like your daughter was just very lucky.

And I'm not saying to not wear a helmet. They're good at protecting against stuff like skull fractures, lacerations, etc.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ski helmets are good for protecting your head from direct impacts to icy terrain and small falls on the beginner to intermediate terrain park but a serious hit to a rail or box or off a booter? As Seinfeld says, "the helmet is wearing you for protection"

Also I think Schumachers case was partially due to having a GoPro mounted on the helmet. Do not stick poo poo to your helmet.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

japtor posted:

Reminds me, I went up to Big Bear for the first time Saturday for a day trip, had to slalom around people all day.

Way the gently caress back in the day when I was instructing at Snow Summit, we'd do "Jib it Runs" on Summit Run (out of uniform of course) where anybody who was sitting down in the middle of the run would get their board tapped as we ollied it and would do dipshit board slides on any ski poles.

It made that mess much more enjoyable.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Camping in the Lake Louise parking lot tonight and getting the first loving chair up tomorrow, if anyone wants to meet up and shred drop a line in here.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ironlung posted:

Plenty of info and studies out there so you don't have to take my word for it, but snow sports helmets are pretty bad at protecting against traumatic brain injuries and deaths. A ski helmet is not going to be the difference between dying and walking away like nothing happened. It might be the difference between being dead and being seriously brain injured (ex: Michael Schumacher) but if your head suffers a catastrophic impact you are going to be hosed up no matter what. Sounds like your daughter was just very lucky.

And I'm not saying to not wear a helmet. They're good at protecting against stuff like skull fractures, lacerations, etc.

Exactly. A good example is Kevin Pierce. Probably dead without it but still was majorly hosed by a TBI.

Great for minor protection. Especially people pulling the bar down.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

ironlung posted:

Let me articulate my position clearly, Statistics are nice and tell you what might happen from a probabilistic perspective. And I understand that helmets aren't as good at preventing TBI as one might believe because there isn't enough EPS material to provide deceleration down to safe levels. BUT in this case it flat out saved her life. I was there and saw the aftermath and spoke to witnesses. I don't care what statistics say should have happened. What actually did happen was that she was coming full speed in a tuck off a race course hit a bump and translated the full force into a metal fence post with her forehead. So much so that it halved the helmet. There is no way you're hitting an approximately 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch metal fencepost at 30-40 mph with your forehead followed by your chest and walking away without head protection. The net result was an injured knee, sore chest and no measureable TBI. As a former football player and current motorcyclist, I am well familiar with the limitations of helmet technology but in this case it clearly saved her life. Yes she is lucky she was not hurt worse. But if she had not been wearing a helmet she would have had no chance at all.

I kept the helmet as a reminder so here is a picture. Not pictured is the EPS that sacrificed itself.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 25, 2019

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
As cool and good as helmets are, nothing beats some nice, ambling spring skiing in a trucker hat and goggles.

My helmet is worth its weight in gold for Vermont tree skiing. So many little dents and things get picked up over a season of bushwacking.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Yuns posted:

Let me articulate my position clearly, Statistics are nice and tell you what might happen from a probabilistic perspective. And I understand that helmets aren't as good at preventing TBI as one might believe because there isn't enough EPS material to provide deceleration down to safe levels. BUT in this case it flat out saved her life. I was there and saw the aftermath and spoke to witnesses. I don't care what statistics say should have happened. What actually did happen was that she was coming full speed in a tuck off a race course hit a bump and translated the full force into a metal fence post with her forehead. So much so that it halved the helmet. There is no way you're hitting an approximately 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch metal fencepost at 30-40 mph with your forehead followed by your chest and walking away without head protection. The net result was an injured knee, sore chest and no measureable TBI. As a former football player and current motorcyclist, I am well familiar with the limitations of helmet technology but in this case it clearly saved her life. Yes she is lucky she was not hurt worse. But if she had not been wearing a helmet she would have had no chance at all.

I kept the helmet as a reminder so here is a picture. Not pictured is the EPS that sacrificed itself.

I was concussed without hitting my head on anything but I am still firmly on team wear a helmet because of situations like that

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
My first season, probably in my first 5 days out, 10 year old me had to witness someone go head first into a fence immediately below me while I was on the lift. Found out he died the next day in the paper. I never complained to my mom about my helmet again after that. Also took me a long time to go down that run for the first time..

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Laserface posted:

Also I think Schumachers case was partially due to having a GoPro mounted on the helmet. Do not stick poo poo to your helmet.
Yeah I remember that too...although looking up specifics now it seems like that was just speculation on the part of some reporter that was never backed up. But still yeah, probably best to not attach hard objects to your helmet.

highme posted:

Way the gently caress back in the day when I was instructing at Snow Summit, we'd do "Jib it Runs" on Summit Run (out of uniform of course) where anybody who was sitting down in the middle of the run would get their board tapped as we ollied it and would do dipshit board slides on any ski poles.

It made that mess much more enjoyable.
I’d be endangering lives trying that stuff with my current ability :v:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I've smacked my head a few times. I grew up where no one rides with helmets.

I'm on year 3 of wearing one no matter what.

Last winter I had someone hit me on the back/tail edge down an icy steep groomer (I tomahawked quite hilariously). Helmets don't make you invincible, they are just assisting you in staying alive.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I should add that the helmet pictured is an FIS certified helmet required for racing which provides more protection than just the CEN/ASTM certified helmets both in coverage and in impact protection.

I should also acknowledge that studies have shown no decrease in rates of head injuries after adoption of helmets but analysis of these results are confounded by changes in behavior by skiers/riders.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Yuns posted:

I should also acknowledge that studies have shown no decrease in rates of head injuries after adoption of helmets but analysis of these results are confounded by changes in behavior by skiers/riders.

I can honestly say that I/friends have snapped branches on tree runs via helmet that would have been arms up.

Studies care about death normally. Hitting a tree with your chest is well past the brain bucket.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Happy Christmas Ski Thread!

Great conditions here in Grimentz. Bit warm in the village but decent powder up on the mountain and hero snow on the piste. Now for some beers.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yuns posted:

Risk homeostasis.

I’m old enough to remember when no one wore helmets. I grew up wearing a beanie and foggy goggles. I’d feel naked without a helmet in TYOOL 2019.

Merry Christmas, ski thread!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Got in those Christmas turns at keystone. Empty as always.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Lake Louise: YOU BETTER WATCH OUT. YOU BETTER WATCH OUT. YOU BETTER WATCH OUT. ROCK FILLED MOGULS ARE COMING TO TOWN.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Went up first thing, husband and I got three runs in before it started getting busy, then came down. Beautiful Christmas morning skiing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

20k bluebird skate today. -8C at the start, slightly slow snow but once the sun softened the top crystals the glide was perfect. Not hot, not cold, just nice and tired all over.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Might be going up to Bear/Summit on Sunday, and/or maybe New Year’s Eve...but I imagine it’ll be pretty busy?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
They opened Harmony and 7th today! I had already been up and back down by the time they did though, so I don't know how the skiing was. Husband and I did the annual "be at the lift line at 8:15, do three runs before it gets busy then head right back on down" Christmas ski.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Buying first skis, too many options

Last year was my first season skiing, and I picked it up pretty quickly and am comfortable on blues. Last year I used a combination of rentals and hand me down 12 year old Atomic Snoop Daddys.

I ski mostly groomers here in Colorado but plan on doing a mix of groomed and powder. I want a one-ski quiver for the time being. I plan on getting out 10-12 times per season. I tend to ski pretty aggressively. My technique needs work but I have no problem focusing on that. I anticipate progressing pretty steadily and would prefer to err on the side of a ski that might be above my lowish intermediate level now if it means I won't outgrow it in a year or two.

Male, 45, 5'6", 160 lbs. Budget not including bindings is $600ish.

I go back and forth between Volkl M5 Mantra 96, Line Sick Day 94, K2 Mindbender 99, Nordica Navigator 90, Head Kore, and others. Suggestions appreciated!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Demo, always demo first

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

japtor posted:

Might be going up to Bear/Summit on Sunday, and/or maybe New Year’s Eve...but I imagine it’ll be pretty busy?
Yes I’d expect this weekend will be a shitshow considering the nukeage that’s going on right now. Get up there early. I’m getting home Friday from 3 weeks away and thinking of hitting Baldy on Sunday just because coverage will be the best it’s been in years.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

regulargonzalez posted:

Male, 45, 5'6", 160 lbs. Budget not including bindings is $600ish.

I go back and forth between Volkl M5 Mantra 96, Line Sick Day 94, K2 Mindbender 99, Nordica Navigator 90, Head Kore, and others. Suggestions appreciated!

Any of those will work. Add the Salomon QST 99 to your list.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Lake Louise was so demoralizingly lovely that I think I'm gonna sell my skis next month and get out of this hobby for good. 1998-2020, RIP.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Or just get boots that are actually suited to your skill level instead of buying the wrong boots because they felt better on your feet but you can't ski in them because they're too stiff for you.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rime posted:

Lake Louise was so demoralizingly lovely that I think I'm gonna sell my skis next month and get out of this hobby for good. 1998-2020, RIP.

At least you will save some money

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Rime posted:

After an 80cm dump its that bad? Fellow I know was out on Sunday and only skied Paradise Bowl and never touched a mogul it was so deep

edit

HookShot posted:

Or just get boots that are actually suited to your skill level instead of buying the wrong boots because they felt better on your feet but you can't ski in them because they're too stiff for you.

Who did this?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

Who did this?
Rime did. We had a conversation about it in Slack a couple weeks back. He can't make turns because he bought 130-flex boots that are too stiff for him, because they were more comfortable than the lower flex boots.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

Rime did. We had a conversation about it in Slack a couple weeks back. He can't make turns because he bought 130-flex boots that are too stiff for him, because they were more comfortable than the lower flex boots.

Classic. Don't forget to turn the DIN to 20!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I have extremely high arches, I get nerve compression in my right foot to varying degrees in any boot I've worn this decade. I spent a couple hours at a boot fitter finding something which didn't cause extreme pain this season, because you can't punch under the arch buckles. This isn't really the jerry "buying what feels cozy" situation it's being portrayed as.

And yes, it was hilariously skied out and iced over at Louise, raincrust at Castle when it opened provided better turns.

Rime fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 26, 2019