Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Jerkface posted:

forget luke throwing his saber down in rotj. Obi wan goes through lightsabers like candy in the prequels and even anakin breaks 1.

jedi build their own lightsaber because the connection with the force and kyber crystal symbolize their strength and graduation to jedi knight but its just a sword.

yoda also lost his LS.

To me the lightsaber is nothing more than an essential tool for a Jedi. They all are taught how to make one as an essential skillset they will need. But at the end it is nothing more than a tool for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Not for nothing but Poe is kind of a poo poo character. I like Oscar Isaac but I don't think he plays brash especially well.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I like the fan theory that Rey weilds her ls just like sheev does. all thrusts and stuff. thats a cool detail.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I mean, that's sort of the point for Palpatine at least. He's the only person who looks at a laser sword that can cut through anything and uses it to stab rather than slash things, because he isn't interested in laser sword fights when he could rule the universe.

Dunno how that reflects on Rey tho

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

TulliusCicero posted:

I would loving love a character who is a Sith but otherwise maintains a normal life, maintains healthy relationships, and doesn't gently caress up everything for everyone at all times. There has to be a few Sith in history or in general who aren't just cartoonishly evil right? The closest I can come up with is Revan or Kreia though, and Ventress after she goes through her character arc ( though I don't think she qualifies as a Sith at that point).

I got the impression each Sith gets an apprentice. Makes them evil, and when strong enough to take the master down, he gets overcome by the 1000 generations of previous Sith into his body to his complete surprise every single time. So every Sith is the same Sith +1, so evil every time. Both by training and the result of taking their place.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
given that Sith are consumed by some combination of hate, fear, anger or all of the above claiming that they could live a normal life with normal relationships is some grey Jedi level poo poo

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

ungulateman posted:

I mean, that's sort of the point for Palpatine at least. He's the only person who looks at a laser sword that can cut through anything and uses it to stab rather than slash things, because he isn't interested in laser sword fights when he could rule the universe.

Especially since presumably how she fights with her laser sword is based out of how she fights with that staff that somehow shows up in each movie for approximately thirty seconds each time but never has any further use in the pictures, as though the only reason the drat thing is in the movies is because someone saw Daisy training with it and was like “she’s real good with that, she should have a scene where it’s used” and they went as lazy as possible from there

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

wilderthanmild posted:

Saw it today. It was better than I expected, but disappointing in a lot of ways.

Good things:
The saber fights are really good.
I really enjoyed the whole "force connection" strong enough to pass objects through space thing. Especially that it actually mattered and was used to pass the light saber.
Hux's scene revealing he was the spy and it being entirely based on him being petty about Kylo.
I like the general theme of the resistance a lot this time. It's the one part that really felt like it was carried over properly from TLJ.
If you erase/ignore the whole Rey is a Palpatine part, Rey and Kylo's story and scenes really feel satisfying to me. Kylo redemption, Rey not succumbing to the dark, them joining together to finally bring balance.
Ridley and Driver really carry the movie.

Neutral things:
The emperor being the bad guy is kinda neat in a "There's been one real enemy this whole time" way, but it's really not handled well.
I noticed that they added (more?) female storm troopers, officers, etc. Same with adding more non white officers on the ships. I think all of the Empire/FO officers had been old white men with British accents before this. Maybe I'm wrong though? Not really something I needed, but doesn't bother me either.
Like I don't hate the horses thing that much, but it's so close to being in the bad. I get that they are in atmosphere and not space, but it's just so weird.

Bad:
Rey is a Palpatine. This is unnecessary and dumb. I was a big fan of the direction they were going was a true nobody and not some secret royalty or chosen one.
The ST has had this problem the whole time, but trying to keep one uping the power of the bad guys space fleet is so bad. The sith fleet having so many ships with so many of those guns with more powerful than the death star just feels like some space anime gone off the rails.
This kind of goes with the last one, but how the hell did you have crew and soldiers for this whole fleet out of nowhere? How much time is supposed to pass between the scene at the start where they say they need to recruit and ton of soldiers and the end where this whole fleet is manned?
The space fights in general are bad and incomprehensible to me.
The Knights of Ren were kinda a wet fart, basically could have been exchanged with storm troopers for all but the 20 or seconds or so they fight Kylo at the end.
Finn and Poe kinda felt like dropped plots. Finn in particular seemed like he had some extra arc with Rey they just forgot to completely cut out with that whole "I never told you..." bit. Rose too, but I never felt invested in her so I didn't mind too much.
Maybe it's just me, but their way of cutting in Leia just felt awkward as poo poo.

There's more good and bad, but that's just off the top of my head. I wish we had a better finale, but with some reactions I'd seen I thought this was going to be Season 8 Game of Thrones bad. Instead it's just a flawed movie that felt like it was from a different trilogy than the last 2. I enjoyed it, but it really did leave me wishing we had something better to close this out.

The saber fights were god awful in choreography, cinematography and score. The gently caress movie did you watch?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Chewie "dying" was a completely insane choice because as far as I can tell what the characters did didn't matter whether he was dead or captured. So we think he's dead, then the audience knows he isn't dead 2 minutes later, then the characters know he isn't 10 minutes after that... what?!

It's a loving mess bro. Similarly with Threepio and with Ben. It's loving nuts.

They clearly filmed a bunch of nonsense and just edited it to kind of work together. Emphasis kind of.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Everyone posted:

I still give it serious points for 1) Retconning the thermal exhaust vent into subtle, deliberate sabotage instead of just a fuckwit mistake

I actually loving hate this and it's my biggest pet peeve with the movie. Otherwise it would be sort of inoffensive (...except for the dumb fanservice NEVER MIND).

You see, in the original A New Hope, which was meant to stand on its own and nobody can convince me otherwise, the movie is predicated on the feeling of Rebels being weak in comparison to the Empire. You get the genius opening shot with the small rebel ship and then the enormous Empire ship going into frame, a scene so iconic it was spoofed for 3 minutes in Spaceballs. This is a failing of the new trilogy, btw, it's hard to buy that the FO is strong when we literally saw the Rebels win already. Anyway.

So, as in all great movies, we have a big, strong, nearly impossible to overpower villain. The other thing you want to have in a story is a believable way for the heroes to defeat this seemingly insurmountable obstacle. When you make an actual character villain, you give them a fatal flaw, usually based on one of the seven deadly sins.

So, since the villain is The Empire, it's given a fatal flaw: Pride. It's given an anthropomorphization (Tarkin), that then has pride. The entire movie is about how they constructed a technological terror, and a guy who's essentially a grunt points out their hubris by glorifying the power of the Force. There are literal dozens of scenes where the hubris of the Empire is apparent - multiple with Tarkin, a few with Vader pointing out that they're being callous, and a couple from the viewpoint of the characters. So, the flaw that is in the death star is intentionally obvious when looking at the plans precisely because the Empire is full of pride. Of course they didn't design it to be impregnable, nobody can match the glory of the Empire so they don't need to! In the end, the idea is reinforced by the officers on the DS telling Tarkin that there is danger after a quick peek at the plans and Tarkin should evacuate, but he doesn't, and he pays the price.

Strength. Hubris. Defeat. A simple, but effective and hard-hitting story.

Instead, RO makes it an intentional flaw. It's loving stupid. It removes the entire hubris element, and just makes you wonder "hang on. You're telling me nobody gave the plans a quick run-through after the whole shitshow or before or during construction?" Yes, you can still say "they didn't NOTICE because of pride" but pointing the plot at that element just makes you wonder, and that leads to the narrative trick ANH employed to fall apart - because you made the people in the audience scrutinize it.

RO is a story that didn't need to be told, and it is told in a way that cheapens the originals. Kinda like TROS tbh.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 25, 2019

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Lol split those hairs gentle goon. 'it's hubris but the wrong kind of hubris'

in rogue one the flaw is the reactor not the exhaust port anyway

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The other thing is - the trench run is basically an act of desperation. The first thing the pilots say when given their orders is to complain that the shot's impossible - and, as it turns out, it basically is. The only reason they pull it off is because Luke has literal magic powers helping him; every other pilot dies. The Death Star is presented as essentially invulnerable short of divine intervention. This is not a battle station that's been deliberately sabotaged to leave it vulnerable.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

The other thing is - the trench run is basically an act of desperation. The first thing the pilots say when given their orders is to complain that the shot's impossible - and, as it turns out, it basically is. The only reason they pull it off is because Luke has literal magic powers helping him; every other pilot dies. The Death Star is presented as essentially invulnerable short of divine intervention. This is not a battle station that's been deliberately sabotaged to leave it vulnerable.

That's a good point.

Horizon Burning posted:

Lol split those hairs gentle goon. 'it's hubris but the wrong kind of hubris'

in rogue one the flaw is the reactor not the exhaust port anyway

It's just not a story that needed telling at all. That doesn't mean you couldn't do it and do it well, but RO is a bit of a mess too.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 25, 2019

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
RO, to me, is a pretty good third act that plods on its way there as a movie- it kinda has a too-big cast but at least delivers on good spectacle and isn't rehashing other star wars nearly as much.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Angry Salami posted:

This is the "Kylo got beat by an untrained girl" of the OT. Where everyone makes the joke "Oh how could you have an exhaust port that some farm boy can just shoot through." and... The Missiles loving turn. They turn into the port.

I think my newest favourite thing brought up by CSB was that, in the first film of the new trilogy, Finn goes "It's fine we don't need a plan we'll trust in the force." and Han goes "That's not how the Force works!" And by this movie, blatantly that's now how the force works.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
The thing about RO giving the Death Star its weakness is that it was "Still" gonna be a one-in-a-million shot in the best of scenarios. Red Leader ends up making it to the end of the trench, follows the directions just like the briefing said, and the shot "still" didn't go in because the shot was still so pants on head crazy the targeting computer just wasn't going to make it happen. If Erso had made the shot easier to hit, the plan would have likely been discovered.

Rogue One was about putting everything on the line to ensure a fleet could have a good meaty '1 in a A loving Trillion' chance instead of '1 in Infinite Are You loving Kidding Bro'. I think the "hubris" arc in ANH stands despite RO's additions.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 25, 2019

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
rogue one also says that the act of sabotage is not the exhaust port, but that the reactor will go up in a massive chain reaction if it is disturbed by an explosive. galen erso's implication is even that a team could sneak onto the death star and blow it up that way, not that he made it so someone could lobb a shot down an exhaust port.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/UPROXX/status/1209559346125901824?s=20

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The interesting thing I find about Rogue One is that the Death Star's weakness was built in, but not the exhaust port- that the reactor was unstable enough for an explosion to destroy the whole thing. The whole proton torpedo gambit was a wild desperate ploy when the intended idea was likely an infiltration and sabotage or (likely suicide) bombing of the reactor core to trigger the explosion. (Which, ironically, Luke, Han and Ben probably would have been able to do as they rescued Leia)

Also still really funny that Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars predicted so much about the Disney additions, complete with Doofenshmirtz basically being Krennic.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Apparently Finn was trying to tell Rey that he was starting to feel the force.

I think there were hints of that elsewhere in the film, Finn keeps talking about having "a feeling" right?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

The Cameo posted:

Especially since presumably how she fights with her laser sword is based out of how she fights with that staff that somehow shows up in each movie for approximately thirty seconds each time but never has any further use in the pictures, as though the only reason the drat thing is in the movies is because someone saw Daisy training with it and was like “she’s real good with that, she should have a scene where it’s used” and they went as lazy as possible from there

Just struck me that it would've been pretty cool if Rey used a double bladed lightsaber since that's kinda like a staff.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

They should have replaced it with a shot of someone chewing gum

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ungulateman posted:

It's a laser sword that can cut through anything except other laser swords. The amount of slashing is actually quite absurd because it's much easier to deflect a slash than a thrust--this is why stage fighting has so many slashes. Its flashy, its loud when they hit, and you can reliably put one sword in a spot where it stops the other.

The slashing styles are more valuable from a mounted position, which is rare in Star Wars. Its probably also better for striking opponents without lightsabers.

Compare to fencing and, in saber where slashing is permitted, a thrusting attack is still the more common point, even when you can score with the edge.

https://youtu.be/nGearEu2PlU

If jedi were smart enough to use only one hand, the thrust would extend the reach of the fighter. Maybe the emphasis on fighting nonjedi mean that they've developed a fighting style that doesn't worry about swords vs swords, like calvary, where Palpatine uses his saber primarily for combat vs jedi. Or maybe because they practice with their no poo poo laser swords, anybody who fights with thrusts ends up killing another padawan and gets kicked out for going dark side.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
they slash because that leads to good fights that are fun to watch

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Cameo posted:

Just give her a staff saber you cowards :argh:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

2house2fly posted:

I think there were hints of that elsewhere in the film, Finn keeps talking about having "a feeling" right?

He was talking about his boner

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

2house2fly posted:

Yes, Finn can totally sense Rey the entire film, it's basically all he does besides scream her name.

Oh. I'm shocked.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

piL posted:

It's a laser sword that can cut through anything except other laser swords. The amount of slashing is actually quite absurd because it's much easier to deflect a slash than a thrust--this is why stage fighting has so many slashes.

Guess what, it is stage fighting!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lol wedge being relegated to a turret gunner after being the second overall best and best non force using pilot in the galaxy

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

George H.W. oval office posted:

Lol wedge being relegated to a turret gunner after being the second overall best and best non force using pilot in the galaxy

I’m surprised he did it. That actor has always regretted doing Star Wars

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

piL posted:

It's a laser sword that can cut through anything except other laser swords. The amount of slashing is actually quite absurd because it's much easier to deflect a slash than a thrust--this is why stage fighting has so many slashes. Its flashy, its loud when they hit, and you can reliably put one sword in a spot where it stops the other.

The slashing styles are more valuable from a mounted position, which is rare in Star Wars. Its probably also better for striking opponents without lightsabers.

Compare to fencing and, in saber where slashing is permitted, a thrusting attack is still the more common point, even when you can score with the edge.

https://youtu.be/nGearEu2PlU

First off, in the original movie the lightsaber's were based off samurai movies and therefore kendo. So the stances and stuff are pulled from that.

Second, slashes being more valuable from mounted but easier to block than thrusts and whatever else you said is nonsense. Do you realize that the tip of the sword is moving way faster in a slash than in a thrust? Do you know the last cavalry sword the USA employed was a thrust-centric weapon? If you poke me in the gut and I lop your head off who will survive with a day in the bacta tank?

Why would you compare lightsaber fighting to olympic sabre fencing? Do the implements weigh the same? Do they react the same on contact? Sabre has right of way whereas lightsabers do not. This is some armchair nerd poo poo, study some historical examples of real sword fighting.

piL posted:

If jedi were smart enough to use only one hand, the thrust would extend the reach of the fighter. Maybe the emphasis on fighting nonjedi mean that they've developed a fighting style that doesn't worry about swords vs swords, like calvary, where Palpatine uses his saber primarily for combat vs jedi. Or maybe because they practice with their no poo poo laser swords, anybody who fights with thrusts ends up killing another padawan and gets kicked out for going dark side.

The thrust and the slash at full extension reach the same distance, goddammit.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 25, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Raccooon posted:

Surprised they didn't go with 2 more movies. If you gonna retcon Last Jedi then give it two movies to accomplish it.

I agree they should have done a part one and a part two. Oh well.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just didn’t like TROS at all. It was a rushed, confusing, infuriating, epilepsy-inducing mess. It sucked. I get people enjoyed it for its spectacle and its role as The End Of Star Wars, but it wasn’t even good at that. People are praising it for getting a D+.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

sponges posted:

I’m surprised he did it. That actor has always regretted doing Star Wars

:10bux: :10bux: :10bux:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Mymla posted:

Just struck me that it would've been pretty cool if Rey used a double bladed lightsaber since that's kinda like a staff.

I was totally confused by Rey going to Tatooine because it seemed like a total non sequitur. I thought she dug up Darth Maul's saber because the last time I saw that setting it was the duel with Obi Wan in Rebels.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

OctaMurk posted:

The worst part for me is I got blue balled into expecting an epic and engaging space battle to finish this thing off, and the one I got was nonsensical, felt like it had no stakes, and generally not that great compared to say, the ones in Rogue One or TFA.

Starkiller Base was a dumb superweapon, but they at least tried to make it seem like a big deal when they blew up some planets in TFA. Having a Star Destroyer do the exact same thing in an even more perfunctory way just feels like JJ Abrams trolling the audience now.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Mymla posted:

Oh yah I thought the staff was blatantly foreshadowing her using a double bladed saber until it never actually happened

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

The only breakout star of the sequel trilogy is our boy babu frik. He's a hit, as it should be

I want all Babu Frik toys. I am why Star Wars sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I like the new Star Wars trilogy and think they’re great movies. I’m why Star Wars sucks.