Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
e: self owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So my Tin P1s came today, and I actually like them a lot more than my HD6XXs (I care most about detail - the HD6XX's are definitely better with some aspects of bass and have better soundstage than the P1s but I don't too much about that and the P1s have bass that feels more "controlled").

edit: One thing that really amazes me is how huge the difference in sound is with different tips. I always thought people were exaggerating about that with IEMs, but the narrow foam ones have *way* more bass than the kinda wider silicone ones (which have a ton more treble detail that comes to the front).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 21, 2019

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I've been trying various low/low-mid budget headsets for a while now, with the absolute priority being all day comfort. Finally tried a pair of cooler master mh751s and my goodness they are like a dream head pillow. I'm more comfortable with them on than with nothing at all.

But... whenever on a call the person on the other end complains about hearing themselves repeated back to them. Did some tests and it's the mh751s. Googled about a bit and, though it doesn't seem wide spread (dunno how popular they are), there's others with the same issue.
Doing a RMA, and have ordered a set of porta pro's with inline mic untill I decide what to do next (try another mh751 set, try the tracstar pro 82s with add on mic, or continue the search).

The porta pro's have been done to death here and elsewhere, but can't really find anything specific on the mic version and if the mic is passable for calls? Any experience here? Will be used in a quiet environment.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

MeKeV posted:

I've been trying various low/low-mid budget headsets for a while now, with the absolute priority being all day comfort. Finally tried a pair of cooler master mh751s and my goodness they are like a dream head pillow. I'm more comfortable with them on than with nothing at all.

But... whenever on a call the person on the other end complains about hearing themselves repeated back to them. Did some tests and it's the mh751s. Googled about a bit and, though it doesn't seem wide spread (dunno how popular they are), there's others with the same issue.
Doing a RMA, and have ordered a set of porta pro's with inline mic untill I decide what to do next (try another mh751 set, try the tracstar pro 82s with add on mic, or continue the search).

The porta pro's have been done to death here and elsewhere, but can't really find anything specific on the mic version and if the mic is passable for calls? Any experience here? Will be used in a quiet environment.

I use my Porta Pros with a mic on video calls for work all the time, I've had no complaints.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got my BLONs today. My review:

Holy poo poo you folks weren't kidding when you said the cables were some abominations. I didn't have trouble with them fitting, my ear is pretty small. But whoever designed these things has no idea of how troublesome is to put them if you have long hair, or if you're African descendant. Half the tips didn't match the actual IEM, and the baseline tip didn't fit my ear. A friend of mine had to buy new ones because none fit his. But the one pair of tips included that matched the actual phone managed to fit my ear perfectly, as luck would have it. So as long as I go through the annoying process of actually putting these things on they sit there. Not the most comfortable thing in the world, but eh.

The vocals aren't as muddy as I expected.

I don't know what to say about the sound that hasn't been said yet. They're way above their price range. I'm using them instead of my DT 770 right now. They have less detail but it wasn't a jump noticeable enough to be an issue, and I prefer them this way. They remind me of the AD900x a lot more in this regard. They're bassy when properly fit with a decent tip, is usually the case of IEMs. With the default tip they were fairly neutral, after fitting properly they became about as bassy as the Sony Extra Bass series. I can see someone coming from other headphones finding them overly bassy, and people coming from bass-heavy headphones finding them more neutral, but they're at least as bass-heavy as the XBs and with the proper tip they're above the Sennheiser 650s, ATH-AD900s, AH-D5000s, Porta Pros, HD 280s and DT 770s, the sets that I've had most experience with. The closest sound signature to them that I can think are the HIFIMAN HE400s, with the caveat that comparing their lows to an electrostatic is pretty unfair, the HE400s with a properly produced music are just infinitely better, but the BLONs have less distortion in a lot of cases.

So that's basically what they sound like to me: Slightly worse HE400s at their best, and better in general.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 22, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Elentor posted:

They're bassy when properly fit with a decent tip, is usually the case of IEMs.

This is the experience I had with the Tin P1s; the foam tip was definitely the most comfortable and had the most sound isolation, but it also heavily emphasized the bass to the point where I felt like it was detrimental to detail at the high-end. I could see preferring that in many situations, but I ended up going with the smallest silicone tips because they left the most detail intact.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I'm surprised at how when fit wrong, the mids of the BLONs are still the same, but the details go up. I could live with them like that, but I prefer the bassier version. Funnily enough, the BLONs out of the box have the same curve that I equalize in my other headphones. I hear too much sibilance, from the 12 khz to the 19 khz I hear the same volume before there's a sudden sharp drop in the 20khz that gets lower every other year.

I still can't believe that these things are the real deal. A friend of mine who got them first said he wouldn't mind a more expensive version of them with the same sound, just higher production quality. I thought he was crazy because I thought the point of them was being cheap. Now that I have them I think I'd say the same thing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Trip report #2 on the Monoprice M300:

Right earpiece blew out in less than a week. I mean it when I say "blew out" too; I was listening to music and there was a loud pop, and the earpiece only made buzzing noises after that. I wasn't listening loud, either. What a piece of crap.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Hey so I was playing around with my sound settings and I noticed I had "windows Sonic for headphones" turned on. So I turned it off and some of the fatigue and weird feelings I had listening went away. Coincidence or is something up with this setting?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Hey so I was playing around with my sound settings and I noticed I had "windows Sonic for headphones" turned on. So I turned it off and some of the fatigue and weird feelings I had listening went away. Coincidence or is something up with this setting?

gotta go fast.

Jokes aside it's probably a scooped EQ that boosts the high end and low end frequencies.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Im getting a lot of electrical noise from my 3.5mm output on my PC. I am confused whether a USB DAC will solve this or do I need to get a basic soundcard with optical out? My old PC had optical out which I connected to a DAC and sound quality was perfect. I don't want to buy a USB DAC and find out that the interference is carried over through USB. Can anyone recommend something basic?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Well without knowing the source of your interference, it's hard to recommend you anything. But if you want to play it safe you could galvanically decouple them with an optical cable like you mentioned.
Why don't you just buy something with a return policy so you can send it back if it doesn't solve your problem?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's a Dolby Atmos-style virtual surround system for headphones, I don't think it's meant to do anything outside of an actual surround source, but maybe it does

Generally fake surround stuff makes basic stereo material sound weird to me, maybe that's what's going on with you (plus it might be more noticeable if you're listening to stuff you're familiar with, so it's more obviously off)

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

baka kaba posted:

It's a Dolby Atmos-style virtual surround system for headphones, I don't think it's meant to do anything outside of an actual surround source, but maybe it does

Generally fake surround stuff makes basic stereo material sound weird to me, maybe that's what's going on with you (plus it might be more noticeable if you're listening to stuff you're familiar with, so it's more obviously off)

I turned it back on and it makes the musical 'space' in front of my face really muddy and tin can sounding.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well without knowing the source of your interference, it's hard to recommend you anything. But if you want to play it safe you could galvanically decouple them with an optical cable like you mentioned.
Why don't you just buy something with a return policy so you can send it back if it doesn't solve your problem?

I believe its from my GPU. I can hear the mouse move and the pitch changes depending on the load on the GPU. I will probably just grab a cheap PCIE sound card with optical out on Amazon and cross my fingers.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

a dingus posted:

I believe its from my GPU. I can hear the mouse move and the pitch changes depending on the load on the GPU. I will probably just grab a cheap PCIE sound card with optical out on Amazon and cross my fingers.

In that case you most likely won't have issues with a decent usb dac, especially if it's externally powered and the usb is data only.
My Focustire Scarlett 2i2 resolved a similar issue. I mean so did my TEAC UD-501, but that was like $500 more than the Focusrite.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah just get a usb dac and return it if it doesn’t solve the problem, but it probably will.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Anyone here have the DAC magic 100, is it good for a beginner DAC?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 26, 2019

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

My S10+ came with Galaxy Buds which I really loved. Used them all the time, liked the passive noise cancelling, had great distance and connection with my phone. Was very disappointed that I couldn't find a good way to get the same connectivity with my PC. Even sitting right next to a Bluetooth connector on my PC with no obstacles, the sound was spotty, laggy, or dropped right out. My guess is that the phone uses Bluetooth 5, and there doesn't appear to be a true USB Bluetooth 5 connector for Windows. It could be the quality of the Bluetooth USB I got for my PC, but before I could test it further I lost the buds during travel and figured I'd wait and eventually buy a new pair of wireless earbuds.

I just got gifted another set of Galaxy Buds, and I'm considering returning them. The only upgrade I'd want is something that works as well with my phone, but also can work with my PC or other gadgets that support Bluetooth. I'm flexible on price, but really the biggest selling point is just earbuds that will reliably work with my gadgets without issues I'd encountered previously. As an aside, I've also only had negative experiences with active noise cancelling headphones causing headaches over time, so not so confident I would want earbuds that force active cancelling.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Anyone here have the DAC magic 100, is it good for a beginner DAC?

I’d get something cheaper tbh, like a Drop SDAC.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have a pair of shure se425 and I hate them. It is my fault for not having done any research but there is just no low end. I like electronic music and I like a good bit of bass.

A friend has let me borrow a pair of Tin Hifi T3 which definitely give a much more rich sound but it's still miles away from the over-ear B&W P3 that I use

Maybe I am reading the wrong things but sites that discuss the T3 also say really nice things about the 1more Triple Driver and Quad driver. Does anyone have an opinion on these or know how they might compare to T3s. Keeping in mind the Quad driver is a good bit more expensive...

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

a dingus posted:

If you have a USB-C port, try the $8 Apple DAC first, unless you want an excuse to splurge on a nice headphone DAC/amp setup

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

other people posted:

I have a pair of shure se425 and I hate them. It is my fault for not having done any research but there is just no low end. I like electronic music and I like a good bit of bass.

A friend has let me borrow a pair of Tin Hifi T3 which definitely give a much more rich sound but it's still miles away from the over-ear B&W P3 that I use

Maybe I am reading the wrong things but sites that discuss the T3 also say really nice things about the 1more Triple Driver and Quad driver. Does anyone have an opinion on these or know how they might compare to T3s. Keeping in mind the Quad driver is a good bit more expensive...

All of the Tin models are focused more on linear bass response, so if you're looking for something that hits hard and/or has deep sub bass response, their stuff might not be the best choice. What is your budget? I've purchased a lot of IEMs with great bass this year and can probably give some recommendations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The 1More pair are good, but not astounding, and not really for bassheads.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Hmm I don't think of myself as obsessed with bass. But there are some tracks that I know have more going on in the low end that I swear I can't hear when using the shures; it's like part of the music is missing.

I'm willing to spend up to $200 for something that sounds nice and plugs up my ears real good. Wired only.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One possible consideration, just in case you haven't experimented with it, is the tip you're using with the IEMs. I find that larger foam tips have dramatically more bass than smaller silicone ones.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

other people posted:

Hmm I don't think of myself as obsessed with bass. But there are some tracks that I know have more going on in the low end that I swear I can't hear when using the shures; it's like part of the music is missing.

I'm willing to spend up to $200 for something that sounds nice and plugs up my ears real good. Wired only.

The Ikko OH10 might be right up your alley.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

grack posted:

The Ikko OH10 might be right up your alley.

That's my recommendation too for that price range. Only major warning I'll note is that the IEM shells are fairly heavy, but I personally have no problem wearing them for hours at a time.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Just posted this in the HDTV thread but my question is headphone related as well.

Turning to the TV (and headphone?) goons in hopes I can get this answered. Looked all over the web to no avail.

So I have a lg c9 TV and I hooked up my wired headphones via the mini-jack on the rear of the TV. When I go to the sound menu, I can get sound from two options: "Line out" or "wired headphones". Which option should I choose and why? Which one is best in terms of sound quality (if there is a difference)?

In addition, should I even bother with a headphone amp if I can just connect my cans directly to the TV? I have a pair of Sennheiser HD800s if that helps.

Thanks!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

MrMidnight posted:

Just posted this in the HDTV thread but my question is headphone related as well.

Turning to the TV (and headphone?) goons in hopes I can get this answered. Looked all over the web to no avail.

So I have a lg c9 TV and I hooked up my wired headphones via the mini-jack on the rear of the TV. When I go to the sound menu, I can get sound from two options: "Line out" or "wired headphones". Which option should I choose and why? Which one is best in terms of sound quality (if there is a difference)?

In addition, should I even bother with a headphone amp if I can just connect my cans directly to the TV? I have a pair of Sennheiser HD800s if that helps.

Thanks!

Line out will be a fixed volume signal meant to be sent to an amplifier where you adjust the volume. The headphone setting will let you adjust volume on the TV.

You don't NEED an amplifier, but with HD800S headphones you should get a decent DAC/amp that hooks up to your TV via its optical connection, so you just completely bypass the TVs audio circuitry.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Atoramos posted:

My S10+ came with Galaxy Buds which I really loved. Used them all the time, liked the passive noise cancelling, had great distance and connection with my phone. Was very disappointed that I couldn't find a good way to get the same connectivity with my PC. Even sitting right next to a Bluetooth connector on my PC with no obstacles, the sound was spotty, laggy, or dropped right out. My guess is that the phone uses Bluetooth 5, and there doesn't appear to be a true USB Bluetooth 5 connector for Windows. It could be the quality of the Bluetooth USB I got for my PC, but before I could test it further I lost the buds during travel and figured I'd wait and eventually buy a new pair of wireless earbuds.

I just got gifted another set of Galaxy Buds, and I'm considering returning them. The only upgrade I'd want is something that works as well with my phone, but also can work with my PC or other gadgets that support Bluetooth. I'm flexible on price, but really the biggest selling point is just earbuds that will reliably work with my gadgets without issues I'd encountered previously. As an aside, I've also only had negative experiences with active noise cancelling headphones causing headaches over time, so not so confident I would want earbuds that force active cancelling.

Not sure if anyone has any ideas for this, was hoping to return them soonish if there's no good way to get the buds to work with my PC, but if there's no better alternatives I might just go ahead and use 'em.

edit: taking a trip tomorrow so figured I'd try out the buds and return them if I had the same problem. Turns out Samsung released a windows app that does result in them working well with windows. No more lag, slightly tinny audio but totally fine for average use, no more disconnects with the same bluetooth USB I've always used.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 28, 2019

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

evobatman posted:

Line out will be a fixed volume signal meant to be sent to an amplifier where you adjust the volume. The headphone setting will let you adjust volume on the TV.

You don't NEED an amplifier, but with HD800S headphones you should get a decent DAC/amp that hooks up to your TV via its optical connection, so you just completely bypass the TVs audio circuitry.

Got it. Many thanks for your advice.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need more loving headphones again.

Budget - ...... loving... I dunno, let’s say $250. Maybe more.
Source - An iPad Pro 12.9” 3rd Gen that I got for Christmas. I need bluetooth headphones for it because earbuds are annoying.
Isolation Requirements - I don’t want anybody hearing anything coming out of my headphones except me. I don’t want to hear too much outside noise either, though that is somewhat lower priority.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Supra-aural or circum-aural. Slight preference for circum-aural.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced, I guess. Whatever is best for watching movies and TV shows with the occasional song or two.
Past Headphones - I never loving know how to answer this part. Surround sound ones. I need something with surround sound.
Preferred Music - Movies and Adult Swim TV shows mostly, although I DO really want to get into music arranging and/or transcribing in the near future, so I will be listening to some actual music here and there. Although I expect I’ll need yet another more expensive set of headphones for that.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

I. M. Gei posted:

I need something with surround sound.

Nooooo you don't. All headphone "surround" is bullshit software tricks, there's no way around the fact that you're physically strapping a pair of speakers to your ears.

Sony WH1000-XM3 is my recommendation, they're still the best sounding bluetooth headphones I've heard. I still have the OG first gen model from years ago and they hold up great, except for the hinge cracking issue that plagues them and the XM2 model. I melted some metal washers into the plastic with a soldering iron to reinforce it and they've held up for years since. The XM3 apparently doesn't have that issue.

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
I wheel around a lot in my chair at work so having wired headphones is getting to be a pain. I've been looking at pairs of refurb Sony WH-XB900N's cause I want around ear and not super expensive, but I've seen people say they're a pain to use with multiple devices so I was wondering if there's something similar that's easier to go between computer/phone/ipad/etc. Or is the only solution to cough up for the 1000's instead? Will be used for listening to a large range of music but a lot of hip hop/electronic stuff so good bass is important.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Wowporn posted:

I wheel around a lot in my chair at work so having wired headphones is getting to be a pain. I've been looking at pairs of refurb Sony WH-XB900N's cause I want around ear and not super expensive, but I've seen people say they're a pain to use with multiple devices so I was wondering if there's something similar that's easier to go between computer/phone/ipad/etc. Or is the only solution to cough up for the 1000's instead? Will be used for listening to a large range of music but a lot of hip hop/electronic stuff so good bass is important.

The Amazon reviews for the Sony WH-1000XM3s say the same thing, sooo...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My brother is looking for new earbuds, and I saw a few in here recommending the BLON 03s. I linked him those, but are there any other options he should consider in roughly that same price range? $30-$50ish.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Hello noisegoons, I don't know poo poo about poo poo and could use some general use recommendations.

Budget - <$150 or so
Source - Home/work computer, iPhone on occasion
Isolation Requirements - Mild. The most I'd need to block out is an AC unit, fans, or some other slight ambient noise. Not very worried about any sound bleed.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural, though I could go for supra-aural if it's super highly recommended.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Something balanced? See also: not knowing poo poo about poo poo. I think my current set leans a little bit on bass, so something similar could be nice.
Past Headphones - I've had a pair of Skull Candy Hesh 2's that I got as a gift ages ago that I think sound pretty decent, but they're a bit fatiguing re: small ear cups, clamp force, and not going well with glasses. (Apple Earpods too that I thought sounded okay, but I find earbuds/IEMs a bit uncomfortable.)
Preferred Music - See also: general use. TV and games more than music, but my tastes there are all over the place with a very slight rock lean.

Primarily I'm after something comfortable for extended use. The Status Audio CB-1's looked like a reasonable pickup, but I'm willing to go higher on price if there's something better out there. I'm also told the Hesh 2's aren't fantastic in terms of quality/balance so I'd also like to make sure I'm making an upgrade in that department. No real need for bluetooth or ANC either, but they seem like fine includes as long as it doesn't gouge the price.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Clark Nova posted:

If you have a USB-C port, try the $8 Apple DAC first, unless you want an excuse to splurge on a nice headphone DAC/amp setup

I bought a DAC without its own power and the noise is still there. It looks like I need something with its own powersupply unfortunately. I have a powered USB hub on the way. If I can't get that to work I'll just suck it up and get a PCI-e soundcard with optical out. I am just need to make sure its got Linux support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i found some Sennheiser 4.30i over-ear headphones on clearance for $29.99 at Burlington Coat Factory (perhaps america's exclusive retailer of 5XLT short sleeve button up denim hoodies) today and they sound loving excellent. they were located in the men's underwear clearance section; I also purchased a paper towel holder with a lil bird on the top for $9.99.

the combination of being extremely comfortable and having some truly excellent bass response might make these my current favorites for a bit.

also, on the subject of cheap headphones, my current leave-at-work, mostly podcast-listening earbuds are the sony WI-XB400's. for less than 40 bucks you get bluetooth 5.0, 15ish hour battery life, USB-C charging and a surprisingly listenable sound. The cable connecting the earbuds is annoyingly long, but it is a flat cable and rarely gets tangled if I throw them in my bag.