Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

ggangensis posted:

Then I've noticed some bigger outlets like PC Gamer, BBC (and Gamestar, of course) covered SC in a rather unreflected (and positive) way, which puzzles me. CR is wasting tremendous amounts of "gamer money" since 8 years with basically nothing of substance to show for it and uses unheard of macro-transactions to support their "development as a service"-model which financed him a new 5 million dollar home (again, with no real product). This is way worse than any early access scam or scummy EA-microtransaction-move could ever be, while actively luring people into this with predatory marketing and straight lies. If the industry adopts that model everyone would be off worse, so I really can't understand why CIG isn't getting the "Daikatana/Duke Nukem Forever/Fallout76"-treatment by the gaming media? As a side note, in the worst case people blew maybe ~200 bucks for some collectors edition, but that would be it. In SC-land this doesn't buy much, though.

Gorf did a pretty good writeup about SC and the gaming press, but unfortunately, I can't find it anymore since the subforum got nuked.

It seems pretty obvious that (parts of) the gaming press are paid shills, either directly, or by getting free ships for the grey market. Gamestar is really egregious in that regard, and I wonder if they're going to survive the backlash once SC goes under. But I'm sure it's a sweet gig in the meantime.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but gaming journalists can't be that clueless. I know game devs don't like to talk shop about this stuff publicly, but I can't imagine how you could work in this field and not pick up that everybody in the business thinks Roberts is a hack and CIG hasn't had competent managers left in a long time, if ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tane 4: The Taning

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I think it's more likely that a lot of sites simply have nothing to gain by being overly hostile to star citizen. For most writers it's probably just this bizarre thing that has news they write up once or twice a year. Plus if the site is large enough there's probably guidelines on tone and stuff for articles that's aren't editorials.

Few news outlets have healthy investigative departments anymore, let alone enthusiast joirnalism, and I can't imagine star citizen tops the list of stuff to actually dig into when there's stuff like David Cage's studio out there.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 25, 2019

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Hannibal Rex posted:

Gamestar is really egregious in that regard, and I wonder if they're going to survive the backlash once SC goes under. But I'm sure it's a sweet gig in the meantime.

I listen to a bunch of gaming podcasts that feature ex-Gamestar people and so far whenever SC is mentioned they spend a sentence or two mocking it and move on. Perhaps it's just that the old guard of Gamestar has mostly and the website primarily deals in feel-good stuff.

Those old print mags have had subscriptions absolutely crater during the past 10 years and online has never made up for those losses. I doubt they can even afford to piss off some SC whales and they'd certainly not gain any subscribers by doing so…

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

EminusSleepus posted:

Merry Christmas SPERGS!!! lol

I'm the 90 cents

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
Years ago, I read a book called 'Flat Earth News''. It explained why the standards of printed news media have declined in recent years. I guess the same reasons can be used for online news.

Basically, it's down to pressure for profit leading to less journalists, and those journalists being required to write more column inches. So they don't have the time to first-hand investigate, so source their stories from news agencies such as AP, PA, Reuters, etc

Amazon has a good description:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flat-Earth-News-Award-winning-Distortion/dp/0099512688

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ponzi posted:

Years ago, I read a book called 'Flat Earth News''. It explained why the standards of printed news media have declined in recent years. I guess the same reasons can be used for online news.

Basically, it's down to pressure for profit leading to less journalists, and those journalists being required to write more column inches. So they don't have the time to first-hand investigate, so source their stories from news agencies such as AP, PA, Reuters, etc

Amazon has a good description:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flat-Earth-News-Award-winning-Distortion/dp/0099512688

It’s getting worse as online ads lose traction, so the revenue streams get tighter and everyone’s cycling content.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aCE7gxQOVY
Gigglesnort.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:reddit: posted:

"Didn't think we'd get anything on SQ42 - it's really good although I sincerely hope early next year they can give us a Pillar Talk on what's been happening with the development and the bottlenecks

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

My faith has been restored.

Beet Wagon ..... your move ;)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This will literally be enough to satisfy them. No question at all.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Ship assets on a pretty background.

Gameplay not included.

Merry Christmas, bring money.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This will literally be enough to satisfy them. No question at all.

Zero examples of a functioning game or story, but hey there are some scenery renders.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ah whew! Crisis averted, those cut scene snippets are clearly indicative of advanced and fun gameplay!

CIG clearly felt the pressure to at least say something about SQ42 and they couldn't even get anyone on camera to state where they are at going into 2020.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

im the MCU intro ripoff

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
So literally all they've done with SQ42 during 2019 is a two minute long pre-rendered trailer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Unless they're even more incompetent than I thought, it's not even a good trailer. It has no narrative flow, no suggestion of gameplay systems, no story hooks other than "ALIEN BAD???"

That moment in the middle where the ship spins on the red background, lol

It's super obvious they slapped it together because of the rumbling of doubt. Literally none of that will be in the finished game. Least of all that big rear end ship at the end

Just play Subnautica

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

precision posted:

no story hooks other than "ALIEN BAD???"

Welcome friend, to the absolute limits of CR's imagination. :D

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
To be fair, Wing Commander had "ALIEN BAD AND ALSO CATS???"

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Slow panning shots of art assets

Spinning art assets, like they're in some kind of model viewer to give you the feeling of ship shopping

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

precision posted:

To be fair, Wing Commander Niven's “Known Space” setting had "ALIEN BAD AND ALSO CATS???"

To be fair, the most innovative and creatively inspired thought Chris has ever had was to maybe cut his toe nails. Or buy new socks.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

eXXon posted:

I'm the 90 cents

And all of us here give our own 2 cents.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 25, 2019

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I'm the flickering light in nearly every shot .... Never been done before.

The citizens asked, and Chris Roberts delivered!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

iospace posted:

gently caress

You lose. Please report for deskeletonization immediately.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Agony Aunt posted:

You lose. Please report for deskeletonization immediately.

Nope.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rad Russian posted:

So literally all they've done with SQ42 during 2019 is a two minute long pre-rendered trailer.

No no, its just a sample of what they have done. They also posted an advert for a barrista.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Zero examples of a functioning game or story, but hey there are some scenery renders.

CIG's development in a nutshell.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
Has there been any exciting news on a possible CHRIStmass miracle presentation?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

monkeytek posted:

Has there been any exciting news on a possible CHRIStmass miracle presentation?

Watch the SQ42 FMV they did. It shows how hard they have been working all year on SQ42!

Meanwhile, the SQ42 roadmap did move an iota after the release of that video, but i'm sure among backers all is now forgiven.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

To be fair, it's pretty. CR is the master of hype. Just watched the Fyre festival documentary on Netflix (gonna do the Hulu one later) and k see a lot of parallels.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty in the same way any pre-rendered video is. It doesn't tell us anything about how the game will actually look or play.

The one thing CIG has a handle on is making 3d models, they just can't do anything with them.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Two things, A gigantic LOL at that Marvel Studios intro rip off. I guess Crobberts saw Infinity War.

Secondly, I really glad CIG puts these sorts of trailers, it gives you a window into how Chris sees Star Citizen/Squadron 42. While the reality is a nasty janky mess, even in pre-planned gameplay demos (like shown at in every Citcon) this is what Star Citizen looks like when run through the smooth brain of Crobberts and the whales. They see it as a slick visually stunning combination of all the best pieces Star Trek/Star Wars/Space opera du jour, while everyone else is asking questions like "Why is it so jittery?" "Where's the gameplay?" "Why is there no consistent art style?" "Where is the point in this story?" "What's taking so long for such a generic space game?"

Also, as a side note, I kept capitalizing "Crobberts and the Whales" because it sounds so much like a band name.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

UnknownTarget posted:

To be fair, it's pretty. CR is the master of hype. Just watched the Fyre festival documentary on Netflix (gonna do the Hulu one later) and k see a lot of parallels.

SC is actually the Fyre Festive played in incredibly slow motion and with more money. :)

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Didn't cig settle their situation with the studio that produced their previous trailers, just in time for this one?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Man those random art assets would have looked amazing back in 2016.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

G0RF posted:

:words:
it sure feels like the pressure is on for Chris to update the big narrative in some definitive way. CitCon would’ve been the perfect and appropriate opportunity, as it has so often been used for exactly this purpose, yet Chris declined that chance this year. This in itself suggests he wanted old narratives to hold out long enough to get them through their final big sales promotions of the year.

We are through them now, but “Chris + Billionaire investor + $46 million investment = 2020 Squadron 42 release date” has crumbled to pieces. If Chris doesn’t serve up a new big hopeful storyline to replace it in a month or so, I’d be amazed.

Fidelitous and utterly non-substantive. It’s perfect. No dates, no specific claims, no explanations for delays, but surely it means progress, right? Don’t let the Roadmap discourage you; this AAAA masterpiece is on rails to future market domination!

(I see Vanduul brandishing ceremonial spiky stickswords that double as ignition keys for spaceships and I upvote!)

But seriously, :lol::lol::lol: at what it’s come down to.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
For a game getting ready to enter alpha/beta in 2020 you'd think they'd have more to show.

Is 2020 the year that finally ends this charade?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

DOMDOM posted:

For a game getting ready to enter alpha/beta in 2020 you'd think they'd have more to show.

Is 2020 the year that finally ends this charade?

I think you might be overestimating the backers' deductive capabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

iospace posted:

gently caress

It’s a Christmas miracle!