Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

This was something I meant to bring up actually, snopes is saying it's real:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/diane-abbott-shoes/

Isn't snopes just a mother and son in a back bedroom in a semi-detached house somewhere?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Isn't snopes just a mother and son in a back bedroom in a semi-detached house somewhere?

You could ask them to fact check it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm spending my first ever Christmas away from my family and it's just me and my girlfriend getting drunk and eating and watching tv by ourselves, don't even have a tree up and we opened presents last night because why the gently caress not then didn't get out of bed till half eleven.

It's loving brilliant

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm spending my first ever Christmas away from my family and it's just me and my girlfriend getting drunk and eating and watching tv by ourselves, don't even have a tree up and we opened presents last night because why the gently caress not then didn't get out of bed till half eleven.

It's loving brilliant

My first ever Christmas away from my family was grim because I was loving skint. My flatmates were away, I was in Sheffield & knew nobody apart from the 2 people I lived with. I had beans on toast because it was all I could afford and I played Mario Galaxy for a little while until the batteries in the Wiimote died & I had no replacements.

You have managed to do better than me.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1209781237444939776?s=21

lol, of course

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Orthdox christmas is 7th January because they follow the old Julian calendar. When we switched to the Gregorian calendar our Christmas became 25th December or something like that anyway.
This is still based on the assumption that Christmas Day is the day you should open presents. Do like your royals and open them on Christmas Eve, and you get to open your presents an entire day earlier.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Happy Holidays, comrades!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is still based on the assumption that Christmas Day is the day you should open presents. Do like your royals and open them on Christmas Eve, and you get to open your presents an entire day earlier.

You're right. I guess maybe it's because for a lot of people historically Christmas Day was the only day they didn't work.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

My family disagree about politics but we all happily agreed that lol prince andrew

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

They've always been fairly reliable for hoaxes and facebook forward stuff though, they've had a good reputation for a long time. Their forums are as old as ours and are usually pretty obsessive about being wrong or biased.

Like this might just be Americans having trouble navigating the finer points of British twitter and political groups, but it does seem fairly convincingly researched.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 25, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Hello comrades, it's me, Barry Foster. Happy Christmas.

As you've no doubt noticed to your own lamentations I've not been posting and won't be for the foreseeable. I've completely removed myself from the outside world to the greatest extent possible, and I don't plan on rejoining it again anytime soon. Why pay attention when there's nothing you can do about it? Same reason I don't want to hear the four minute warning, I suppose.

Anyway, I've made a plan to see my shrink in the new year and once I'm on a slightly more even keel I'm going to spend as much time as possible volunteering. I don't see any future for this country worth thinking about and I want to have as little to do with it as possible. This benighted island probably can't be saved but we've still got to help who we can.

Anyway, I really hope y'all have a lovely day today. Hug your loved ones (though if they're tories only if you can bear it), eat and drink as much as you can, and take care of yourselves. I really do love you all.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You're right. I guess maybe it's because for a lot of people historically Christmas Day was the only day they didn't work.
It's really just another case of Britain not wanting to suffer German domination, while the rest of Germanic Europe accepted the yoke.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Barry Foster posted:

As you've no doubt noticed to your own lamentations I've not been posting and won't be for the foreseeable. I've completely removed myself from the outside world to the greatest extent possible, and I don't plan on rejoining it again anytime soon. Why pay attention when there's nothing you can do about it? Same reason I don't want to hear the four minute warning, I suppose.

Anyway, I've made a plan to see my shrink in the new year and once I'm on a slightly more even keel I'm going to spend as much time as possible volunteering. I don't see any future for this country worth thinking about and I want to have as little to do with it as possible. This benighted island probably can't be saved but we've still got to help who we can.

Anyway, I really hope y'all have a lovely day today. Hug your loved ones (though if they're tories only if you can bear it), eat and drink as much as you can, and take care of yourselves. I really do love you all.

Love you too man, look after yourself.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

Take care of yourself Barry. It's good you have a plan for new year.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Merry Christmas British goons. I hope the new year brings better news than this year did.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
On the Nth day of Christmas my true love gave to me

12 beans up backside
11 shitters posting
10 lords beheaded
9 roller derbies
8 Mikes a-miwking
7 Swinsons winning
6 Rees-Moggs braying
5 guillotines!

4 falling heads
3 French strikes
2 Brexit gloves

AND A MARXIST AS AN MP!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Well Goons, yo ho ho & a merry christmas & all that. I am full to bursting point and am going to have a massive jobby tomorrow, it truly is Christmas.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

forkboy84 posted:

Well Goons, yo ho ho & a merry christmas & all that. I am full to bursting point and am going to have a massive jobby tomorrow, it truly is Christmas.

Block the drains with massive jobbies!

Fa-fa-fa-fa-fart, fa-fart fart fart

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

forkboy84 posted:

You can't, like, OWN Jess Phillips, forkboy.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Woo hoo! woke up with a stomach bug!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hope everyone is having a great Christmas. I went to my brother's for Christmas lunch. My youngest nephew was reading 'Mort'. Was great to see the younger generation getting into Terry Pratchett. Now back home and drinking and watching Lair of the White Worm.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Happy Christmas UKMT

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/1209911726579339264?s=19

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

bessantj posted:

Hope everyone is having a great Christmas. I went to my brother's for Christmas lunch. My youngest nephew was reading 'Mort'. Was great to see the younger generation getting into Terry Pratchett. Now back home and drinking and watching Lair of the White Worm.

How spooky, I've just been reading Mort myself. Honestly can't believe I didn't get into Pratchett at a younger age, I have a huge library of work to get into and I can't wait!

Also spent time with my young niece, my role as cool uncle is being slowly established. :c00l:

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

God bless us, every Goon.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Spent Xmas dinner trying to get the family to stop using racial slurs. Learnt a new one for black people complete with aetiology. Sister in law thinks political correctness has gone too far because you can't sing ba ba black sheep anymore.

Why yes the region did go Tory last GE

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I hear that quite often. Apparently it's baa baa rainbow sheep these days? Not sure the LGBT community asked for that one.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Barry Foster posted:

You can’t look out for other people if you don’t look after yourself - take care of you first.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Only reference to it I found was a nursery doing multiple verses replacing the word black with different colours, which just sounds like they are doing their job really

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

I hear that quite often. Apparently it's baa baa rainbow sheep these days? Not sure the LGBT community asked for that one.
I've heard that since the 90s.

Apparently political correctness is a 30 year war against one nursery rhyme.

e: ^^ That does sound better. People being mad about a 30 year war to make one nursery rhyme better for kids.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
I mean the rhyme sounds pretty slavey though

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I wonder what black people make of this?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

war, war never changes

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Like you're literally making fun of the sheep's language while demanding raw textiles and the response of 'yessir yessir' is a typical imperialist depiction of...

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
The family is watching some awful compilation wrap up shite and my brain is slowly dissolving from the state of Christmas culture. I don't normally watch TV and the adverts are soul melting. Pity the viewers of Celeb Coach Trip.
Food and booze though. Merry Christmas comrades!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

A controversy emerged over changing the language of "Baa Baa Black Sheep" in Britain from 1986, because, it was alleged in the popular press, it was seen as racially dubious. This was based only on a rewriting of the rhyme in one private nursery as an exercise for the children there and not on any local government policy. A similar controversy emerged in 1999 when reservations about the rhyme were submitted to Birmingham City Council by a working group on racism in children's resources, which were never approved or implemented. Two private nurseries in Oxfordshire in 2006 altered the song to "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep", with black being replaced with a variety of other adjectives, like "happy, sad, hopping" and "pink". In 2012, a private nursery in Kingston upon Thames replaced "black" with "little" for their Easter show. Commentators have asserted that these controversies have been exaggerated or distorted by some elements of the press as part of a more general campaign against political correctness.
34 loving years of claiming that a song has been banned without any evidence based on half a dozen nurseries helping kids learn by saying "can you think of some other words that describe a sheep?"

That's the state of the inclusivity debate in this country.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
We're also in for 40 years of THE LAST LABOUR GOVERNMENT, seems :/

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

crispix posted:

We're also in for 40 years of THE LAST LABOUR GOVERNMENT, seems :/

The counter resets when Labour get in, it doesn't actually mean anything.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Why can't it be "baa, baa red, white and blue sheep have you any Brexit?!" :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

bessantj posted:

Now back home and drinking and watching Lair of the White Worm.

It's not christmas without at least wincing once at a penis being crunched on.

And wasn't Baa Baa used as a racist football chant back in the early 90s?
I think I remember some premiership footballer getting it chanted at him.

And have an excellent christmas and 2020 people.
For this time next year we'll be millionaires bruv*.

*Brexit hyperinflation

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 25, 2019