Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Grabbing Sword and I feel like an old man going "I remember the pokeymans! Why was it called red and blue again? It was clearly in monochrome! :corsair: "

How hosed am I for being a cheapskate without Nintendo online since I hardly use the thing? Or is that just a case of online features being most valuable for gearing up to fight other players online/not wanting to kill yourself over stupid NPC party members?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Section Z posted:

Grabbing Sword and I feel like an old man going "I remember the pokeymans! Why was it called red and blue again? It was clearly in monochrome! :corsair: "

How hosed am I for being a cheapskate without Nintendo online since I hardly use the thing? Or is that just a case of online features being most valuable for gearing up to fight other players online/not wanting to kill yourself over stupid NPC party members?

There are issues with how online works (like Y-comm stamps not refreshing enough times so that you'll get stamps for raids that are expired, as they're only available for 3 minutes) so I think you can do fine without using the features. It really depends on how hardcore you are at Pokémon and what you want out of it.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Dienes posted:

I get that but the design really never sells it.

A good compromise to allow the eye-as-a-compass bit.

I have a couple of boxes of Grookeys, Duraludons, Ponytas and Croagunks ready to go for Chrimbus. I hope they all go to kids who appreciate them :3:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just broke past 100 wins in BT, and just ran into my first rando who can dynamax.

I.....didn't know that was a thing. >_>

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

A good compromise to allow the eye-as-a-compass bit.

I have a couple of boxes of Grookeys, Duraludons, Ponytas and Croagunks ready to go for Chrimbus. I hope they all go to kids who appreciate them :3:

I've got a few of each Sword exclusive. Not the most exciting since Sword is the most popular, but hopefully they are useful for someone.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Shield dog looks extremely dorky

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zuzie posted:

There are issues with how online works (like Y-comm stamps not refreshing enough times so that you'll get stamps for raids that are expired, as they're only available for 3 minutes) so I think you can do fine without using the features. It really depends on how hardcore you are at Pokémon and what you want out of it.
Well, I'm still refreshing my memory over basic concepts like "Wait, wait. Water+rock? You can be your own weakness? Does that make it weak or strong vs- Oh no I've gone crosseyed :eng99: " So I'd be utterly crushed by literal small children online anyways :v: I'm assuming main game wise at least that an idiot with a can do attitude, a type chart, and "Oh my god, Farfetch'd looks so done with this poo poo, I want one :3: "logic will do just fine up until endgame/postgame.

Was mostly curious where this landed so far as the trends of "Online for Overkill" vs "conspicuous holes in the main game content/progression curve". From the sound of things, this game lands in the "For ultimate power" end, and even offers the OPTION (sub-optimal it may be, at least it's there?) for Raids.

The last 'optional online' Nintendo game I played on a whim was Daemon X machina. Which had sensible things like a secret store hidden in an icecream shop to unlock overkill bullshit weapons from online drops... and then they also decided "Hey, see this robot they unlock in the main game? Let's hide it's legs in the online only version of the mission and see how long it takes them to turn to google." :downs:

Syenite posted:

My shameful logic was "...I get to skip the ghost gym in sword? This feels like a trick, but okay."

But dog with sword > dog IS shield certainly helped.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My brother "got my nephew" shield, hell yeah both legendaries coming my way! Guess I can get an extra masterball as well.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Syenite posted:

Shield Dog looks awesome when his dumb shield isn't up, and Sword Dog looks awesome as long as he's got a sword in his mouth. They both look dumb the opposite of those

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
My nephew isn’t allowed to be online, so I spent lady night breeding stuff to give him.

So of course now he wants anything interesting that comes back while I am surprise trading.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Section Z posted:

You should get the online. For $20/year you also get a lot of fun NES and SNES games.

Surprise trade is a good way to get random Pokemon you might end up really enjoying. Visiting other players camps to play with their Pokémon, and cook curry together always gives me the warm fuzzies. Also, working together on Max Raid Battles is rewarding, and it’s fun to see what other people use.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

mandatory lesbian posted:

Its the algae, not the anchor, you buffoon

I know, I just want Dhelmise to be good because I love him very much.

Also, they should Rotom him and have the algae be on different objects and change Steelworker to different abilities based on what he's attached to.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Man I was kinda weirded out Nintendos charging for online services like its 2003 but Ive done like 20 surprise trades since getting this game as a present and Im getting good mon after good mon instead of having to wade through 30 skwovets to get them

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Man I was kinda weirded out Nintendos charging for online services like its 2003 but Ive done like 20 surprise trades since getting this game as a present and Im getting good mon after good mon instead of having to wade through 30 skwovets to get them

Yeah. I've wonder traded about 40 of my Merry Christmas stock and while I've gotten maybe half a dozen for sure new player mons (early route guys that aren't level one found on 12/25), all but 3 of the rest aren't random catches. People are really putting some nice effort filling surprise trade with rare and version exclusive Pokemon. I even got a hidden ability Eevee in a moon ball!

cats
May 11, 2009
I had 13 boxes full of mons to trade today, got through half of that before I got tired/figured I'd trade the rest over the weekend when there will still be lots of new players online. Got a mixed bag in return, but I actually like getting a level 3-10 Skwovet, Rookidee, etc back, that way I knew my Drampa or Eiscue was going to a newbie. I did get three Sword exclusives that I was missing (Scraggy, Turtonator, and Deino x2), an HA Eevee in a Love Ball that is going straight to my puppy mill nursery, a few Rotom and a 5 IV Magikarp in a Beast Ball. Funny enough, all my mons had items attached (evo stones, fossils, wishing pieces, or just random treasures to sell) but I only got one in return, holding a Full Restore. No big deal though, I'm absolutely swimming in junk from trying to dig up the drat Dino fossils.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I'm gonna do all my wonder trade gifting tomorrow. Everyone who got a Switch and Pokemon for Christmas may not have been able to play around with it and look things up today but they'll sure as hell have time tomorrow and this weekend.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Oh yeah. I got a bunch of rare stuff I was missing, like Eiscue and Deino so I'm going to do some more breeding and pass it along.

Edit: also got a Scorbunny that claims it was met in July 2018. Ok pal.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 26, 2019

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Oh yeah. I got a bunch of rare stuff I was missing, like Eiscue and Deino so I'm going to do some more breeding and pass it along.

Edit: also got a Scorbunny that claims it was met in July 2018. Ok pal.

lmao, do the dates for when you met the mon stay the same if you're doing the clock adjustment thing after you change it back? that could cause it if they were doing it backwards instead of forwards for some reason I guess

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
That's got to be it. I received a few that were from future dates too.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Can't wait to never see a Delibird raid ever again *monkey paw curls as I get my 8194th Gmax Centiskorch*

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Shneak posted:

Can't wait to never see a Delibird raid ever again *monkey paw curls as I get my 8194th Gmax Centiskorch*

I liked them. A good way to stock up on L/XL Candy and I caught a perfect one to boot (too bad it was female).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I’ve decided I want to breed a Golisopod since I never got around to it during USUM. Are there any neat strategies utilizing Emergency Exit? Maybe with substitutes?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

AlternateNu posted:

I’ve decided I want to breed a Golisopod since I never got around to it during USUM. Are there any neat strategies utilizing Emergency Exit? Maybe with substitutes?

First Impression is the gimmick.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

First Impression is the gimmick.

That’s...underwhelming. I’d rather just run Leech Life since it’s so bulky.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I gave away 90 Delibirds yesterday, in Gens VI, VII, and VIII. The previous gens were all 6IV with an interesting moveset.

All of them had Pokérus. Merry Christmas, kids, may your numbers get bigger stronger faster.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Why would Rotom be necessary to make this bike work? It has a motor, sure, but that only seems to be used for the turbo boost. Can't a rotom-less person just pedal normally like I do when not using the turbo boost?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Just want to thank everyone that joined me in the CHARMZONE this Christmas Eve. Sharing that stream with y'all was a great way to start Christmas. PINKU DIAMONDO!

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

CubeTheory posted:

Just want to thank everyone that joined me in the CHARMZONE this Christmas Eve. Sharing that stream with y'all was a great way to start Christmas. PINKU DIAMONDO!

T Pose on a tiny chair to establish fitness and dominance

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I asked in the trading thread, but I'll ask here too. Does anyone have a Water Absorb Tympole they can send my way? I've got HA Hattena and Snom, both in Love Balls to give in return.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Let's say I'm an idiot and don't know what to do after battling the dude with out the glasses one time, this is right after battling the rivals in the Championship cup. Where do I go and find him again? What do I do next?

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 26, 2019

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I asked in the trading thread, but I'll ask here too. Does anyone have a Water Absorb Tympole they can send my way? I've got HA Hattena and Snom, both in Love Balls to give in return.

I can hook you up with one in exchange for the snom.

If you have messages you can PM me to coordinate. I’m also on the goon discord

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Last night I got my second 6iv mon*, a gmax snorlax with immunity.

*Excludes th perfect iv Eevee from Lets Go.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I can hook you up with one in exchange for the snom.

If you have messages you can PM me to coordinate. I’m also on the goon discord

Thanks, just sent you a PM!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

That’s...underwhelming. I’d rather just run Leech Life since it’s so bulky.

It doesn't have a lot of coverage, you can use both. Mine is @Life Orb w First Impression, Leech Life, Liquidate and Sucker Punch

Sometimes the life orb turns one of your other moves into a u-turn, which is cool i guess

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

My first curry was rated Wobbuffet class and I briefly got excited that GameFreak named the Curry tiers after the competitive tiers which would've been a cool shout-out. But no. Its just pokemon chosen at random except for charizard which was chosen because GameFreak

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Got Shield for Christmas, is there no GTS replacement beyond making posts online and then trading in game?

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 26, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Spacebump posted:

Got Shield for Christmas, is there no GTS replacement beyond making posts online and then trading in game?

correct

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Rumor has it that Pokemon Home may have this function, but iirc that doesn't release until January sometime and I have zero idea if there is anything to support the rumor or if it is purely speculation.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Mef989 posted:

Rumor has it that Pokemon Home may have this function, but iirc that doesn't release until January sometime and I have zero idea if there is anything to support the rumor or if it is purely speculation.

The only function that they mentioned Home is supposed to have is that you can directly trade with other people's Homes, and its accessible from your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It took me longer than i cared for to get the HA but I will be starting my HA Shuckle in a Beast Ball giveaway today as I continue to breed for a perfect of shiny one.

Hell yeah, Shuckle.