Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm not sure how much of it is a work and how much is a shoot, but the Stardom roster aren't taking Giulia being in that match well at all. Lots of "cheers Rossy Christmas is ruined" kind of tweets. I'm sure it's a mix of both. "Everybodg hates Giulia" is the story they're telling but seeing someone saunter into the company and be handed the biggest opportunity these girls have seen can't be an easy pill to swallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

And Kagetsu is retiring too

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Just saw that, all this poo poo is weird and depressing

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
rossy sucks

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I don't think the Kagetsu situation is comparable to the Hazuki situation. Her neck is held together with hopes and dreams and she almost retired before signing full time with Stardom in the first place.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

How well known was Giulia before all this? I don't pay a ton of attention to most of the joshi companies but I do pay some, and I don't think I'd heard of her before. I'd have absolutely put Kyona or Konami in that match before her, but maybe she's a bigger deal than seems obvious.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Not too well-known. She was in the midst of her breakout year in Ice Ribbon when she got poached. She's clearly a Bushiroad favourite. To be fair, she's very popular with female fans already and that's who Bushiroad want.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

RIP Odeo Tai

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I understand that everyone who does a thing, anything, retires ultimately but am I mistaken in thinking that (formal) retirement is more prevalent in Japan than the US? If so, is it just a thing of tradition and culture?

I can think of plenty enough American wrestling retirements but many seem to be non-events, like The Rock announcing so of his in-ring on work on Regis and Kathy Lee (whatever) in utter nonchalance, or people just quit and that's it, where by contrast it seems like Japan, perhaps Mexico and others, pay more recognition to people hanging up the boots.

Seriously.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Who needs Odeo Tai when you have Giulia

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Retirement ceremonies are a big thing in Japan and they aren't really ever done just to be pro wrestling works - I'm sure there's probably an example somewhere but I can't of one. That's the reason why they are seen as being such important occasions since if someone retires then its a legitimate thing. In Joshi historically you did have forced retirements and those were less likely to stick - AJW had a "retire at 25" policy which forced people to go in their prime which caused a lot of resentment and which led to the formation of the original JWP by ex-AJW people forced into retirement who wanted to carry on wrestling; Chigusa Nagayo who was a megastar at the time was forced into retirement at 25 despite that making 0 business sense.

Fans aren't big fans of people who say they'll retire and then who immediately come back: the most famous example recently was Kaori Yoneyama who announced her retirement, worked her full retirement tour (including replacing an injured Command Bolshoi on a US tour which was allegedly when she started reconsidering retirement) and her retirement show and mid ceremony was like "I don't want to retire, I want to carry on!". Caused JWP a bit of hassle since they had to offer refunds for not only her retirement show but every show on that retirement tour, and it knocked a credibility a bit but both them and Yoneyama got over it and no one really cares anymore. The reason they did that and why retirements are so public is that retirement shows draw money: Pure-J typically do around 700-800 in Korakuen: Command Bolshoi's retirement show this year did 1,530, probably the second largest Joshi crowd of the year and the biggest in Korakuen Hall (OZ Academy did 2k+ for their big Yokohama show; Marvelous haven't announced an attendance but sold out Korakuen so its around the same number); this years Year End Climax did 1,334 (the second highest Stardom attendance since 2015 with the other one being Io's farewell show), over 500 up on last years Year End Climax show and on the last Korakuen Hall show and while some of that will be this new Bushiroad promotional move and foreigners coming in very early for WK a lot of that will be Hazuki's retirement - they'll also have sold a tonne of merch as well and the wrestlers get a fraction of that.

I think the fact that she mentioned being "forced to retire" will quash some of the backlash if she showed up elsewhere soon: a lot of Joshi fans in Japan aren't big fans of Stardom as it is and recent moves haven't improved that so her going somewhere else to carry on her career might actually be a popular thing, assuming that the thing that forced her out doesn't alienate those same fans.

On a totally unrelated note: Gatoh Move are starting a new streaming service!

https://twitter.com/gatohmove/status/1209904163057913858

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Say hello to Hayter-gun!

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

IceAgeComing posted:

Retirement ceremonies are a big thing in Japan

Your thorough responses are awesome, thank you.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Masa Takanashi is the new managing director of Gatoh Move

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Take it with a grain of salt because Dave's joshi sources aren't very good, but this is what he said about the Kagetsu and Hazuki situation in the latest WON:

quote:

Kagetsu was in charge of training all the women and Hazuki was her best student, and then became her most trusted ally. In a sense, Hazuki, because of that, also had significant locker room power. Kagetsu’s management style was compared to that of Bill Watts, and that doesn’t fly in today’s world. She was fining people when they were late and taking away their personal time. Management stepped in once and told her not to do that. But she continued to do the same thing. Most of the women came to management to protest Kagetsu being in charge. A vote was held and Kagetsu was voted out as the head trainer and locker room boss. With her out of power, both Kagetsu and Hazuki lost interest in the company. Hazuki decided to retire, basically feeling that wrestling in Madison Square Garden in April was a goal and she had achieved that. But that also explains Kagetsu constantly badmouthing the new owners since the Bushiroad purchase was announced, which led to her announcing her retirement, putting a positive spin on it by saying Stardom is in good hands with Mayu Iwatani in charge. For the public, Kagetsu said her retirement had nothing to do with Hazuki, and that Hazuki’s retirement may have been due to more difficult times than pleasant ones

I do think its weird that Dave thinks Hazuki was Kagetsu's student, when if I recall, she was one of Io's students.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 27, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

throw that whole paragraph in the dumpster

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Dave's main Stardom sources are Sonny who's the Stardom English language person and Fumi Saito who is both close to Rossy Ogawa and also has contacts within Bushiroad. This makes me think that its come from that side of things and someone pointed out that Watts reference which really points to it coming from Fumi. As its currently written its 100% Stardom's side of this and I don't doubt that Stardom told them that and there's probably an element of truth to the training stuff but that's also almost certainly not the whole story.

The particular examples of "old-school training" especially are stuff that is done by coaches in real sports regularly and is something that I could see someone that came through an old school system doing and that might cause friction in a company that isn't based on that quite as much. I doubt it was the locker room coup that describes though: I think we'd have heard a little about it earlier if it was. It could easily be new Bushiroad staff pointing to a few complains to justify bringing in their own people: that sort of thing is very common after a takeover and happens even when things seem to be working fine which they were in Stardom - the Sonny stuff from back in August is especially interesting when you think about it now and really hinted to big changes. The stuff on the Hazuki retirement also doesn't make sense just with the timings: something changed with her earlier on and it aligns with the other rumour of them finding out something in her family's past and not keeping her although I could be seeing things that aren't there.

I was wondering if something had changed regarding her training position though: when Milano came in there were reports calling him the new "head coach" and I initially assumed that might have been a mistranslation or an honorary position but with the retirement announcement I got slightly suspicious and this came out. That might explain why she retired out of nowhere; if she'd still been trainer perhaps she'd have carried on a little longer to put others over but not in that position and already with issues; why carry on. Will be interesting to see who they use as trainers: there's not really anyone on the Stardom roster at the moment who strikes you as being someone with the experience to fit into that spot without help from someone else.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Chaos option is that Hazuki and Kagetsu were dating and that didn’t fly with the new ownership.

I don’t know poo poo and the only person I could think of that would talk to me about it won’t so that’s the end of that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

bushiroad is a pro-gay women company

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/gatohmove/status/1210502971764572160?s=19

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/gatohmove/status/1210264444808204288?s=19

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

so many forgotten waves
Kagetsu and Hana are teaming up one final time for Kagetsu's retirement tour

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

There's too many vod services

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
God Bless Netflix and WWE Network for paving the way for everyone to have a $10 a month subscription service that totals my previous cable bills

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

somewhere in the FCC dungeons some guy is screaming about how ala carte pricing is here and you can't stop it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

coconono posted:

somewhere in the FCC dungeons some guy is screaming about how ala carte pricing is here and you can't stop it.

Its here till some Disney big wig pitches a bundle of services with some exclusive ones in it!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Gatoh Move streaming service isn't replacing their YouTube uploads fwiw so unless you need to see the dance numbers and the wrestlers talk about their matches as the crowd drinks tea then there's no need to bother

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Emi Sakura gave me a hug last night. :3:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/SLinnng/status/1211270575261270016?s=20

SEAdLINNNG have announced their first show of the year - the interesting thing is that they've announced an "X" for this main event which is interesting and will cause a lot of people to talk for a while considering the events of the last few days. Its a six man tag where they've announced five participants but not the teams yet: you have Nanae Takahashi and Yoshiko who're both SEAd signed wrestlers, Ayame Sasamura and Hiroyo Matsumoto who are SEAd regulars and Emi Sakura who's making her first SEAd appearance in over a year, and an incredibly rare appearance for a Japanese promotion that isn't Gatoh Move or a produce show by someone she's close with. They've said that they'll announce the teams at a later date but considering that Yoshiko and Ayame Sasamura are both in the same faction and that Hiroyo Matsumoto is tag champs with Yoshiko I think that you can put together one side of this match pretty easily unless they're going to attempt to be weird.

I don't know whether they'd do a massive debut at a Shinkiba show that probably won't air anywhere but they might surprise us.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I know it's an unbroadcast live-only match, but this is still delightfully surreal.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
TJPW's final 2019 show is up on Universe now and the 1.4 Preview 2-out-of-3 falls tag match ruled again this year. I can't wait for the end of the week.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Ribbonmania took place today: not going to talk about the results since it airs on the 2nd on Nicopro so I don’t think that there’s point in talking about something I haven’t seen when there’s no wait for it. What is notable is that they drew 1,384 to Korakuen Hall: that’s 500 up on their last Korakuen, 200 up on Ribbonmania 2018 and 50 up on Stardom’s Christmas Eve show. It is their biggest show of the year and had a retirement thing so it being higher is perhaps expected so did Stardom and within their worlds Hazuki felt bigger than Tequila Saya so you’d think that’s a wash.

Ice Ribbon are shifting to running Korakuen monthly (currently they run quarterly with another big show at the Yokohama Bunka Gym but that is closing soon) from next May and from a business perspective that could be interesting: they currently run around Stardom levels if not slightly higher and if that can be maintained with the increased schedule it could challenge a lot of perceptions about Stardom being significantly bigger than anyone else.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

so many forgotten waves
What time EST does the TJPW show from dome city start?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I believe it's 9:30 eastern.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

TJPW stream is live now, Namba is doing the opening announcements.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

so many forgotten waves
Haruna is hilariously tiny

What is this patchwork piñata?

Ishin fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 4, 2020

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is the TJPW show free?

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

so many forgotten waves
Shoko has the coolest outfit. Bumping onto Kaiju figures the new LEGO

Ishin fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 4, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Well I guess Aja Kong just murdered Saki between matches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kong rules