Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Dragons beard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hair

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Yeah thats just a pile of nasty fuckin hair

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
im changing my answer to Hair With Lots of Dirt

looks delicious, op

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BrianBoitano posted:

Technically correct. But also something sweet.

86% done / 25% done by same metric!
Let us know when you get that drain unclogged.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It looks like it would be kataifi dough for those birds nest lookin greek desserts (the hint is # of folds vs # of strands). I cant explain the color tho.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

This is it!

No Wave posted:

It looks like it would be kataifi dough for those birds nest lookin greek desserts (the hint is # of folds vs # of strands). I cant explain the color tho.

You got the hint part!

So it's kind of a hand-pulled "cotton candy" but you use quite a bit of corn starch so it ends up tasting like double bubble gum :downs:

https://youtu.be/u0qoxO2Kla8

I haven't done the last step yet - rolling little nests with filling - but it's definitely a fun experience.

Recipe from Dave Arnold, using 50/50 corn starch and cocoa powder
https://youtu.be/auRNHI2nkIU

Next time I'll quarter the recipe, 1/8 the powder, and add some flavor extract right before pulling. For this batch, to add more flavor I think I'll do chocolate ganache and nuts filling tomorrow.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Halva?

classic e:fb

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Renee is a rather pretty name. It suits you!

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but Squashy, you seem so much happier. Like, it's a marked change in your posting.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dino. posted:

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but Squashy, you seem so much happier. Like, it's a marked change in your posting.

:kimchi: Thanks dino. I really appreciate that. Technically I should say it's Rene, but without the accent is easier to type. Thank you all. <3

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

^^^ Heh? The cider I had at bars in the UK and Ireland were all lightly carbonated.

You don't go to a bar, you go to a farmhouse in the country in somewhere like Somerset or Devon and you take a plastic jerrycan which they will fill up for you. What you're after is generally called scrumpy.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm working 10:30-7:30 on Xmas, and then coming home and heading to bed because I think I'm back in at 6am the next day. Patients gotta eat and I get triple pay.

Friday will be the uhh, fun-ish day. Or Saturday, one of those two days I'm planning to give my parents this letter and book and be like. "So uhh I'm not a guy, my name is Renee and like uhh. Hi."

solidarity

not everyone works in an office yall, and most of the people who have to go to work today don't get any extra pay for it. do them a favor and wait til tomorrow to go to a movie/brunch/shopping

ee: also rene rules

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

solidarity

not everyone works in an office yall, and most of the people who have to go to work today don't get any extra pay for it. do them a favor and wait til tomorrow to go to a movie/brunch/shopping

ee: also rene rules

I walked to my local pub with the sole intention of wildly overtipping. Happy everything y’all!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Manuel Calavera posted:

:kimchi: Thanks dino. I really appreciate that. Technically I should say it's Rene, but without the accent is easier to type. Thank you all. <3

Sorry about that. Renè

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's Renę, surely :v:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

R̜͙͙͎͙̀̆ͤ̅̇ẻ̺͙͉̺͖̬̙̰̺ͨṇ͍͈͉̼͊̽̉̃ͅe̙̙̹̹͒ͮ̎͑?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Christmas dinner was fantastic! And yeah my suspicions were correct and the sticky toffee pudding with bourbon sauce on it was loving amazing. I think I have discovered the best dessert I have ever had in all honesty.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scientastic posted:

R̜͙͙͎͙̀̆ͤ̅̇ẻ̺͙͉̺͖̬̙̰̺ͨṇ͍͈͉̼͊̽̉̃ͅe̙̙̹̹͒ͮ̎͑?

How dare you call me Reince (Priebus) how dare. But, gosh really thank you all. I'm tearing up a little here at the end of my shift. :3:
Also i somehow hosed up my name and made a typo. Renée, with the first E accented. Much like the E I stick under my tongue ayyyyyyyyyy.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Got some cool kitchen stuff for Christmas, though my wife made out like a bandit. She a Mercato Atlas 150 pasta machine, a pasta drying rack, ravioli press, all new cake decorating set and a few pasta books.

I got Salt, Fat, Acid Heat and Pizza Camp books, and a shitload of quality BBQ rubs and seasonings.

Gonna put that pasta gear to good use for dinner tonight :coolfish:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

VERTiG0 posted:

my wife made out like a bandit

You get fresh pasta made for you, I think I see who got the better deal here

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

VERTiG0 posted:

Got some cool kitchen stuff for Christmas, though my wife made out like a bandit. She a Mercato Atlas 150 pasta machine, a pasta drying rack, ravioli press, all new cake decorating set and a few pasta books.

I got Salt, Fat, Acid Heat and Pizza Camp books, and a shitload of quality BBQ rubs and seasonings.

Gonna put that pasta gear to good use for dinner tonight :coolfish:

Report back about the ravioli press. I’ve tried 3 and they were all a pain in the rear end and turned out worse ravioli than just doing them by hand flat on the counter.

Would love to find a better way.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Scientastic posted:

You get fresh pasta made for you, I think I see who got the better deal here

Its actually a really fun two person activity, three hands makes the rolling go faster. Pop open a bottle of red, make some pasta...

Doom Rooster posted:

Report back about the ravioli press. I’ve tried 3 and they were all a pain in the rear end and turned out worse ravioli than just doing them by hand flat on the counter.

Would love to find a better way.

Agreed. The old one my mom had for her Mercato worked ok, but the plastic fill hopper was a pain, in that it was hard to get a consistent amount of filling into each one.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

Yeah, well, you know I'm opening up The Banana Stand this May, and that's been keeping me busy.

dino. posted:

I like it too. I like saying it with the Forest Gump cadence, "Ren-nay"

So, Rene, did you consider the spelling "Renée"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9e_Richards

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Its actually a really fun two person activity, three hands makes the rolling go faster. Pop open a bottle of red, make some pasta...

Agreed. The old one my mom had for her Mercato worked ok, but the plastic fill hopper was a pain, in that it was hard to get a consistent amount of filling into each one.

I have one I like that is basically an ice cube tray that you lay a sheet over with some slack, measure out a tsp of filling in each cavity, lay a sheet over, press gently, roll with a pin to seal against the mold's grooves.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Good luck Renée!

I am inflicting Proper Fruitcake on my family this weekend, should be a good time. We're doing a white elephant because none of the adults want to get gifts, and I think I've found an appropriately terrifying tiki mug for it. :getin:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Liquid Communism posted:

I am inflicting Proper Fruitcake on my family this weekend,

good of you to visit them

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squashy Nipples posted:

So, Rene, did you consider the spelling "Rene"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9e_Richards

Renée, it was a typo. And dangit I thought I was getting away from sport dud-
OH I see now. I didn't notice 'Women's singles' part of that article at first. Thank you Squashy. :3:

I want a fruit cake, and a terrifying tiki mug dangit. Heck I want all the cups and mugs that Kahiki used to have. I miss that place and jesus gently caress it's been 20 years almost since it closed.

Today is the day I'm going home to tell my parents things. I've been nervous all week. But it needs to be done at some point.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 27, 2019

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Manuel Calavera posted:

Rene, it was a typo. And dangit I thought I was getting away from sport dud-
OH I see now. I didn't notice 'Women's singles' part of that article at first. Thank you Squashy. :3:

I want a fruit cake, and a terrifying tiki mug dangit. Heck I want all the cups and mugs that Kahiki used to have. I miss that place and jesus gently caress it's been 20 years almost since it closed.

Today is the day I'm going home to tell my parents things. I've been nervous all week. But it needs to be done at some point.

Best of luck, hope it goes the way you want.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

good of you to visit them

:golfclap:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This year I upped my pumpkin pie game big time, I'm on my phone riding home from Christmas so I can't post pics yet even though I am killing time by post post posting. But anyway I just wanted to share a bit.

Previously I just got store bought pie crusts, never made my own before. gently caress that, time to level up! I was honestly scared of doing it because it seems like it's easy to gently caress up. I made chocolate pie crusts - 2 of them - with flour, salt, cocoa powder, confectioner's sugar, and butter. I added more sugar than they recommended because I didn't want a bitter chocolate taste to the crust. Rolling it wasn't so hard actually! It took a few tries adjusting the water content because I thought it said teaspoons at first and it wouldn't come together until I took it off the surface and figured it out.

My usual pumpkin pie recipe uses 3 whole eggs, evaporated milk and brown sugar. I changed this to three egg yolks and one whole egg and a can of sweetened condensed milk, no other sweetener. The result was a beautifully orange color and a texture somewhere between souffle and cheesecake, a really nice dense custard that held together amazingly well and had ZERO cracks on the surface of the pie. I also added Chinese 5-spice - just a little - and used less nutmeg than typically recommended because it cuts thru flavors really badly for me for some reason.

I also made a chocolate pumpkin pie that was different only that it had cocoa in the filling too(they both had chocolate crusts).

For a topping I whipped together cream cheese, powdered sugar and heavy cream and let it chill a bit before pouring it over the pie after it had cooled off, then refrigerating it overnight so the whipped cream hardened up a bit into a perfectly smooth frosting over the pie. They honestly looked so amazingly good to me and they tasted exactly as good as they looked.

The only thing I might change is maybe putting espresso in the chocolate pumpkin pie next time. The non chocolate pie was everyone's favorite but they were both so good. But I think the chocolate could use a little something extra to set it apart even more. I also might put a splash of vanilla extract in the pie crusts next time.

Fuckin pumpkin pie yo gently caress yea

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Much as I'm not a chocolate fan, that sounds pretty tasty!

My Instant Pot has completely changed my pumpkin pie game. Making my own pumpkin puree is incredibly easy when I can just clean a pumpkin, chunk it, and pressure cook it instead of roasting. I generally do a butter/lard crust and spice the custard with cinnamon, ginger, mace (or sub in nutmeg, but that's less potent), allspice, and cloves.

Pumpkin pie is great.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manuel Calavera posted:

Hey man probably late to this but good luck. Hope it goes well.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sis would be preferred but I dig the sentiment.

And. It went well thankfully. Better than I was expecting somehow.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ninja edit : ^^^^ that's awesome! The outcome and having it behind you! I'm so glad that you followed through and that it went alright!

My Publix is selling small cast iron pans with brownie mix for $4 in the bargain bin. Perfect size for 2 eggs imo!

Gonna choke down this sad excuse for a brownie, strip and and season this funny thing. Sure it's too thin to matter as a practical thing, but it's fun.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Gonna choke down this sad excuse for a brownie, strip and and season this funny thing. Sure it's too thin to matter as a practical thing, but it's fun.

Is getting naked the new "cook a pound of bacon" of seasoning cast iron? Sounds dangerous.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Manuel Calavera posted:

yay for everyone involved

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Well, that's awesome.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Just cracked into some jerky my sister's friend gave me for Xmas. Apparently one of his mates makes it?

Never had fresh American style jerky before. gently caress this is way better than biltong.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manuel Calavera posted:

Dammit. Sorry about that. I use man/dude/guys far too much as catch-all terms. I gotta do better.

Glad it went well, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Manuel Calavera posted:

Good, I was hoping it’d go well. Cheers, goons with spoons!