Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

secret of mana aged the worst of all the 90s square games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

There’s nothing good on sale on the 3ds eshop

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Seiken densetsu 3 is alright. It still has interminable spell and item animations. SoM has those + the cool down bars on your attacks and running + individually grinding spell schools and weapons. Its a nightmare.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Frenz posted:

There’s nothing good on sale on the 3ds eshop

Bruh. Pantsu Pirates, Pantsu Brigade, and Pantsu Finder (hidden object puzzles) all on sale for 25 cents

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

mysterious loyall X posted:

Seiken densetsu 3 is alright. It still has interminable spell and item animations. SoM has those + the cool down bars on your attacks and running + individually grinding spell schools and weapons. Its a nightmare.

i still enjoyed playing SOM a few years ago but it was on an emulator with fast forward to level up spells so yeah maybe it might be pretty bad when you're playing it in normal speed and not 9 years old anymore

edit: the worst game for that though was when I got uncharted waters 2 on wii because oh BABY does that game not work without fast forward

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 20, 2019

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
secret of evermore is the best mana game

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Fartlancer posted:

secret of evermore is the best mana game

No its legend of mana becuase of the baby cactus

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Who here likes Nintendo

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I like Nintendo

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like many of the things that they have sold me

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hell yeah boys. Getting all BYOB and poo poo in this mother fucker. drat.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tales of Woe posted:

secret of mana aged the worst of all the 90s square games

this is sad to hear because the music is so good.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Legend of Mana is freaking epic. Would pay for that bad boy on Switch.....

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They need to rerelease the Quintet quintet.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

Who here likes Nintendo

I call them Wintendo

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I call them Wintendo

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

American McGay posted:

They need to rerelease the Quintet quintet.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I played Secret of Mana on an emulator like ten years ago and it was horrible. I refuse to believe this was ever considerd good

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
its beyond awful but i get why it made an impression at the time, it's such a huge leap forward visually/musically from squares stuff before and even tho the plot is barebones it has some weird quirky parts that i liked. but the gameplay is just such a loving mess

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played it on Wii shop when it came out for like an hour and didn't like it but that was like a decade ago so I thought maybe I would try again. But maybe it just huffs turds. I'll get SaGa Scarlet Grace, the latest hit Vita port, instead.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
next year im gonna play thru the saga games like ive been doin with mana this year

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
me, my brother, and a mutual friend of ours played secret of mana about 4 years ago on the snes with the multitap and we all had a blast. my brother and i might be clouded by nostalgia since we had the game as kids, but my friend had never played it before and he loved it.

i think a really big part of enjoying it is calculating the terrible hit detection in advance. the hitboxes make almost no sense, but once you get a feel for the timing and the exact spots the game expects you to hit then it's a lot more fun. i remember the Tropicallo boss fight (or maybe it was a different boss) being absolutely ridiculous; like you had to hit him in this exact pixel at this exact second or it wouldn't register.

i think a lot of the glitches come from the fact that it was an SNES CD game originally and they had to cut out 60% of the game to fit it on a 24 mbit cart.

e: in hindsight it might just be the fact that i always played it with a friend/sibling (i got a multitap specifically for the game back in 1993) and the multiplayer aspect is what i loved and not the game itself. not sure to be honest.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 20, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

next year im gonna play thru the saga games like ive been doin with mana this year

Set aside a notebook for unlimited SaGa

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i'm going to buy groove coaster on switch for a cool 10 dollars off since i need a rhythm game to play while i wait for the ps4 to slowly boot up, download an update to stop all the pirates who are pirating the hot ps4 titles, install the update, reboot, crash during reboot, re-reboot and do the hard drive scan to make sure the ps4s hard drive still sounds like a vacuum cleaner and can heat an entire 2 bedroom apartment, and then finally boot up so i can wait another hour for dj masx respect to start and play that after i'm done with groovve coaster. epic

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

this is sad to hear because the music is so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXxNtL6vtgw

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

i'm going to buy groove coaster on switch for a cool 10 dollars off since i need a rhythm game to play while i wait for the ps4 to slowly boot up, download an update to stop all the pirates who are pirating the hot ps4 titles, install the update, reboot, crash during reboot, re-reboot and do the hard drive scan to make sure the ps4s hard drive still sounds like a vacuum cleaner and can heat an entire 2 bedroom apartment, and then finally boot up so i can wait another hour for dj masx respect to start and play that after i'm done with groovve coaster. epic

didn't the PC version just come out?

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

groove is in the heart

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Crumbskull posted:

groove is in the heart

Whatup man

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

goferchan posted:

didn't the PC version just come out?

the pc version of groove coaster is by all accunts awful with really bad sync issues that change per song and haven't been fixed yet. unless you mean djmax. the port for that seems fine but i've seen ppl having problems with like their 144hz fps setups hey not my problem! human eye can't see more than 24fps anyway!

i refunded it tho since its just ps4 dj max respect and none of the dlc and i already paid like proibably 200 dollars on that game over two years fuuuu. the new menu music and intro song are really good tho.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I meant dj max. That's cool the PC port is fine, i'll buy it

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

goferchan posted:

Yeah I meant dj max. That's cool the PC port is fine, i'll buy it

Theres some annoying stuff, mainly no mission mode yet. But all the best missions are in the dlc so whateger. I sill might end up buying just becuase waiting 3 minutes to play a game every time u turn ob the ps4 is miserable

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I played Secret of Mana on an emulator like ten years ago and it was horrible. I refuse to believe this was ever considerd good

It’s in my top 10 all time games. It did not age well, but it was the first rpg i got to play with my friends. Strong gamer memories.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Got a switch

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

tao of lmao posted:

Got a switch

Hell yeah. What games?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Just mk8, sword/shield, and a 50$ giftcard. Not sure what to get yet.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
might as well get stardew unless you've played 200 hours of it on something else

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I’ve

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Think i’ll get fire emblem but i’ll wait for a sale lol

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
You gotta get smash, bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

heeheex2 posted:

You gotta get smash, bro.

This, but Fire Emblem would also be a great choice, it’s probably my GOTY since I haven’t put enough time into Death Stranding to make a decision on it. When I got a Switch I got Smash and BotW with it and they were both great introductions to the console.