Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

lancemantis posted:

Wait ISO died? I’m way out of the loop

Back in April. I wasn't involved with them but a few good organizers from them came to Chicago DSA after it all. I didn't go digging for all the details at the time, but old rape accusations came up regarding some of their elected leadership and it became clear a lot of internal investigations had been halted/manipulated to protect people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

nobody should be a leader because apparently power causes sexpestery

thats called postmodern marxist-anarchism

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

RL is a columnist for WSWS

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i say swears online posted:

please tell me this is true lmfao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it fit too well for me not to make the joke

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

My favorite RL memory was not really knowing him but pre-accusation when he posted an article from a communist in Seattle arguing that M4A was a half measure and if DSA was serious it should just start its own health/hospital co-op.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Amber’s day job probably involves a lot of getting talked down to by wokelords who immediately abandon their leftism the minute they start collecting a paycheck so I’m not to mad at her for maybe romanticizing the rural working class a tad too much.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
This thread in the replies expands on it a bit

Basically she's been hanging out with crusty old union tankies and doesn't know enough to be wary of them

https://twitter.com/KlezmerRouge/status/1209565195661725696?s=19

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the rural working class must always either be romanticized or demonized, and any position in between is centrist cowardice

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

This thread in the replies expands on it a bit

Basically she's been hanging out with crusty old union tankies and doesn't know enough to be wary of them

https://twitter.com/KlezmerRouge/status/1209565195661725696?s=19

also those bits about "you shouldn't let activists run the movement, not matter how downwardly mobile they are" and "people are already good, idpol stuff makes them sad"

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Retromancer posted:

Amber’s day job probably involves a lot of getting talked down to by wokelords who immediately abandon their leftism the minute they start collecting a paycheck so I’m not to mad at her for maybe romanticizing the rural working class a tad too much.

Being PMC involves being talked down to a lot.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

i say swears online posted:

surprised he’s not working for the grayzone since ben norton said it was a cointelpro plot that rl was being outed as a rapist

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tbh as I was driving home last night I was thinking to myself how actually I find my rural relatives and people I grew up around a thousand times more tolerable than suburbanites

they are the true scum of the planet and should be gulaged

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lancemantis posted:

tbh as I was driving home last night I was thinking to myself how actually I find my rural relatives and people I grew up around a thousand times more tolerable than suburbanites

100%

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

lancemantis posted:

:yeah:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Retromancer posted:

maybe the person whose job is ostensibly to be a leftist academic should root their analyses more in materialism and less in their personal grievances and ennui

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I used to like amber and was wary of people having a go at her because I suspected sexism might have been an issue, but man that was a helluva bad take.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

also those bits about "you shouldn't let activists run the movement, not matter how downwardly mobile they are" and "people are already good, idpol stuff makes them sad"

this is a good take. downward or upward mobility has nothing to do with it, it's dangerous for a movement or org to have leadership positions be the same as paid positions. I don't think the movement in the US or UK outside of labor unions are mature enough to really have those two overlap at the moment. it's just to easy to be captured by wealthy donors or have leadership just exploit members to support their own position.

even within unions, the defense of Hoffa was some bullshit in that episode. sure he had his supporters, but allying with the mob destroyed the actual power of teamsters and the wider labor movement.

Autism Sneaks posted:

maybe the person whose job is ostensibly to be a leftist academic should root their analyses more in materialism and less in their personal grievances and ennui

this sounds like something Amber would say. she needs to take her own advice

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

At the time of Hoffa the mob was already controlling several unions with complete disregard of the workers. The role of organized crime in destroying the union movement in America is vastly down played, but to put it all in Hoffa’s lap is absurd.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
lol, turns out the guy had an entirely different take to the one we thought he was making
https://mobile.twitter.com/freedaaron/status/1209546898459238400

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Retromancer posted:

I think she really put in a lot of effort in canvassing for Labour, and is legit broken-hearted at how it turned out. Her take was a bad one, but I’m not gonna condemn her for it.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Apraxin posted:

lol, turns out the guy had an entirely different take to the one we thought he was making

amazing

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

At the time of Hoffa the mob was already controlling several unions with complete disregard of the workers. The role of organized crime in destroying the union movement in America is vastly down played, but to put it all in Hoffa’s lap is absurd.

true, but we only discuss labor leaders who've been in Scorsese movies in the podcast thread

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Apraxin posted:

libs literally have one angle of attack.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I do find it quite amusing how bad the production of “well there’s your problem is”, but overall I think it’s endearing , as opposed to a by-the-numbers Iheartradio sausage factory podcast style

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
hell yeah, got my tickets for the chapo live show in Vegas in February

I'm hype

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Autism Sneaks posted:

maybe the person whose job is ostensibly to be a academic should root their analyses in their personal grievances and ennui

ftfy that is literally what academics do bud

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Being PMC involves being talked down to a lot.

being pmc is basically just your bosses gaslighting and other abuse tactics you into loving capitalism

Majorian posted:

I think she really put in a lot of effort in canvassing for Labour, and is legit broken-hearted at how it turned out. Her take was a bad one, but I’m not gonna condemn her for it.

i've got mixed feelings about her and her takes but I think this is the right take here, let her be sad and boneheaded for a bit yall

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

I used to like amber and was wary of people having a go at her because I suspected sexism might have been an issue, but man that was a helluva bad take.

Her personality sucks and that has most to do with it. I think the main problems with her takes though is that because she's got an academic background she's compelled to act as if she believes in her thesis in order to sell it, which flattens nuance in a way that only people who engage with an issue on a purely intellectual level can do. That doesn't even necessarily mean she's wrong, just that when she fucks up the details it's a red flag for people to interpret her in the least charitable way possible, like the OP who thinks she's dogwhistling antisemitism.

iirc the last time she had a flaming hot take was when she compared being a homemaker to living on a UBI.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Why people treat podcasters like authorities and not just informed opinions is beyond me. I thought Amber was pretty wrong about telling Labour to double down on leave but she was pretty correct on youth not being a class, and that's usually how I feel about her, she shoots from the hip and I respect that.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Christ, all this stuff must go over my head, I just listen for the jokes and poo poo impressions.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
activism is not revolutionary organizing. activism is what liberals deem to be acceptable precisely because it's so ineffective and useless. therefore, barring activists from revolutionary leadership is not bad and is in fact correct.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
read No Shortcuts

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Larry Parrish posted:

activism is not revolutionary organizing. activism is what liberals deem to be acceptable precisely because it's so ineffective and useless. therefore, barring activists from revolutionary leadership is not bad and is in fact correct.

just call for purging the counterrevolutionary kulacks already you're obviously yearning for it you lefter than thou dork

what if no hierarchy based leadership is needed or capable of remaining uncorrupted and that's why your revolutionary organizing keeps failing to do poo poo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Larry Parrish posted:

read No Shortcuts

no

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's not MY leadership structure. im not a tankie, i just dont trust reformism and dont put effort into caring about it. instead i try to figure out how to buy and hide firearms without registering them or buying them black market from probably-cops

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but if not trusting people born into vastly more wealth than me makes me a tankie, hell, call me uncle joe

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lol if you think horizontal party structures are incorruptible

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Yer mom is a horizontal party structure :v:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

n-no :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freckle